Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 01:40 PM

Default Adrock and Rick Rubin talk for the first time in decades...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1ff_story.html

The full podcast comes out Tuesday 6/23. There's a 7 minute preview here.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:07 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Default Re: Adrock and Rick Rubin talk for the first time in decades...

I always had the feeling that they didn’t hate rick as much just because mike seemed friendly with him in fade to black, albeit for like 20 seconds. And I remember reading somewhere Adam saying he only got on the track with milk cuz rick asked him to do so. So how much can you hate dude if you’re doing him favors.

I haven’t heard the preview Yet but if you’re not down to Let shit go why bother sitting down with him? Has anyone heard it yet? Did It sound stand off-ish?

Edit: I was looking for the adrock quote but instead I found something on beastiemania, Adam saying he wished milk wasn’t ricks label. I guess Adam always kinda hated rick

Last edited by Extra Cheese : 06-22-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Arrow Re: Adrock and Rick Rubin talk for the first time in decades...

Starts off kind of testy but things settle down as they get into the discussion. Gotta love Adrock. He just isn't the guy who is going to bite his tongue in these types of situations and I'm glad he doesn't.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Here's the full interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyp3Gqwnjx8

Great listen!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

This was great! I can see how Yauch and Rick could have butted heads.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 06-24-2020, 05:52 AM

Loved the reminiscing. One forgets, the other remembers, reminding eachother and triggering eachother's memories. Rick asked some great questions.. I love it when they're just talking about their day in day out lives and the records they were listening to, Schooly D, etc.

Yep Adrock still needs a sincere apology about the money...from his tone it sounds like Rick and Russell still never gave one...Some people are like that, you fool with their money, they never forget. Some people are willing to forget, water under the bridge (sounds like Mike has), but if you aren't able to let it go, I get it.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 AM

I subscribe to the broken record podcast. It was a nice surprise that when I woke up on my birthday and picked up my phone this one was waiting for me.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
This was great! I can see how Yauch and Rick could have butted heads.

definately!

If there is anyone who can get these two to make new music, its Rick Rubin. Even if not, this was a great interview. Really brings RR's contributions to light. OG 4th Beastie Boy
Old 06-25-2020, 11:25 AM
crazy sniffable

I get the impression that Adrock's issue with Rick isn't so much about the money, but about the betrayal. From what I recall, he grew the closest to Rick out of the three. So one can imagine the damage that Rick's behavior had on that relationship. Frankly, Rick's continued nonchalance about the whole deal is a little off-putting to me.

Interesting dagger thrown at Blood Sugar Sex Magik. When Rick mentioned there was an issue at the release party, it reminded me of Adam's brief appearance in RHCP's 'Funky Monks' doc. And by brief, I mean like Yeti brief. The filmmaker is hangin out front of the album release party, and you see this flash of a guy walking away, can't even see his face, and the bouncer leans in and says "you know who that was? that was Adrock from the Beastie Boys".

I was bummed that they didn't discuss any of the Beasties' output post-LTI. I've always wondered what Rick's take was on the music that followed, and would have enjoyed that discussion.

This interview inspired me to re-watch the 2hr+ Red Bull Academy interview with Mario C last night. Great, lengthy, slow-burn of his history with the band. Really fantastic watch for the die hards. Still available on youtube in it's entirety.

~fin~

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 06-25-2020, 12:04 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
I get the impression that Adrock's issue with Rick isn't so much about the money, but about the betrayal.
Yup me too 100%. I only recently got that impression with the release of the book and the doc because they use the word friends often enough when describing rick and russell and the early days. Especially with the live show you can really see how sad and hurt they were with how it turned out when they talked about it.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

I think what I liked or got out of it the most was the "openness" of RR as the moderator of the discussion, it gave me a small glimpse into how his mind works and how he would be such an amazing collaborator to work with, the way he pushes and explores ideas.

for example when Adam says, "that's another story" and brushes off an idea, Rick stops him and say "tell THAT story". he does this a few times in the podcast to get one of them to share or delve a little further.

I imagine that translating into a studio environment, or them just hanging out for hours upon hours coming up with new ideas, with Double R as their guru.

I'm not mad at a waltz beat.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Anybody else think it was weird that RR straight up ends the podcast w/ "I love you Adam" and Mike's just like... in the background?

Maybe RR says it enough to Mike, since they apparently still see each-other. It just felt weird to me, and reminded me of all their collective grips that RR always though Mike was expendable.

It was really a convo betwixt Adrock & RR, w/ Mike a prominent bit player and Spike like popping his head up above water now and then.

(and I loved hearing them all catch up regardless)

message board

Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
It was really a convo betwixt Adrock & RR, w/ Mike a prominent bit player and Spike like popping his head up above water now and then.
I saw it as they had the most catching up to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I imagine that translating into a studio environment, or them just hanging out for hours upon hours coming up with new ideas, with Double R as <a producer>
yesssss. at least it makes the dynamic they had in the past more clear.

wit sharpens wit, steel sharpens steel
Old 07-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
Anybody else think it was weird that RR straight up ends the podcast w/ "I love you Adam" and Mike's just like... in the background?

Maybe RR says it enough to Mike, since they apparently still see each-other. It just felt weird to me, and reminded me of all their collective grips that RR always though Mike was expendable.
Yeah I think it's just because Rick and Mike have been in touch for years, but Rick hadn't really spoken to Adam. You can hear that Rick is just sort of confused why they haven't kept in touch (he stated this in an article after this interview came out as well). I felt that Rick genuinely did miss hanging out with Adam and felt like they lost so much time for no reason, but maybe Adam is just over it. Maybe he feels like Rick screwed him 35ish years ago and hasn't been a part of his life since, so why would he want to suddenly be buddies with Rick?

I feel for Rick though. Even if you were kinda the dick, as you get older, you look back and regret all the time you wasted beefing with people for what seems like such a stupid reason. Like I'm sure however Rick pissed off Adam was important at the time, but look at what happened: Beastie Boys went on to the one of the greatest groups in modern times, which I doubt would have happened if Rick had stuck around. He probably just wants to drink some brass monkey and talk about some rope shit with his fellow old-guy friend.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:53 PM
crazy sniffable

still sounds like a private apology from Rick is in order if he desires any sort of relationship at this stage. years are years, but dude tried to screw the band out of a kings ransom, on the back of some serious touring they did in support of that record; or in the least he sat back and allowed russell to do so without intervening. i dunno, theres certainly a whole lot more to it than we know, but on the surface it is still quite grimey.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:50 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

the interview in that linked article basically proves neither side is willing to budge on their stance or give in. the interviewer brings up the money issue and rick kinda defensively points to CBS rather than him or russell for withholding money. In turn the band responds with, “Unfortunately this recollection does not match up with the reality of the events at that time.”

so did the band never receive anything for LTI once they left? that album sold consistently right up until the music biz went down the toilet. props to them if they really wanted no parts of def jam/rick/russell in anyway but to never have gone after what's really yours especially after paul's boutique when they were just about broke

Last edited by Extra Cheese : 07-06-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I think what I liked or got out of it the most was the "openness" of RR as the moderator of the discussion, it gave me a small glimpse into how his mind works and how he would be such an amazing collaborator to work with, the way he pushes and explores ideas.

for example when Adam says, "that's another story" and brushes off an idea, Rick stops him and say "tell THAT story". he does this a few times in the podcast to get one of them to share or delve a little further.

I imagine that translating into a studio environment, or them just hanging out for hours upon hours coming up with new ideas, with Double R as their guru.

I'm not mad at a waltz beat.
I agree, he definitely seems like a take charge type of person. He's natural in the role of producer. And if he had not gotten into music, he would probably have been successful in whatever he did as a career. I've been listening to a few of the Broken Record podcasts with Rick, he's a very smart, curious person. I heard him interview the guy from Tame Impala, pretty interesting..
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM
crazy sniffable

according to Adam, things really began to unravel when Rick told him that the bboys would be entitled to 10% of the LTI sales, and he and Russell to 90%. the boys were seeing tour money, but almost nothing from physical sales. and eventually Def Jam stopped paying them royalties altogether, claiming they were breaching their contract by not moving forward with the recording of their second contractually obligated album to Def Jam. however, Russell had them on the road for a year straight at the time of that remark, which didn't allow for them to do so over that time anyhow. Russell claims it was at SONY's urging that they withheld those royalties, and has since publicly expressed regret for his choice to do so. an undisclosed settlement was reached out of court, ultimately.

from an article in Complex a coupla years back:

Looking back, the two aren't harboring any bitterness towards Simmons and/or Def Jam co-founder Rick Rubin because everything turned out alright. "But that’s because it all worked out," Horovitz said. "Had it not worked out, had we broken up in '87 – and we never got paid by Rick and Russell and Def Jam – it wouldn’t be fine."

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 07-06-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Definitely some good points there. I'd be pissed too.

That must have sucked on a few levels too. Imagine you're like 16 year old punk rock kid, hanging out with this super cool guy in his NYC dorm room having all these good times, then you start having these crazy experiences, then you BLOW THE FUCK UP and become international sensations... then one day you kind of realize that this is actually all happening in the mouth of a giant corporate record label and the super cool guys are pretty on board with all of that shit. Then you're not getting nearly as much money as you thought you would (which - to be fair - I feel like very young musician I've ever known believes at some point: that record labels are just going to throw money at them and definitely not bone them out of every nickle they can). Then you realize that the super cool guys want to keep making you do these records as these personas that you've kind of grown to realize are stupid and you hate being.

Still though, if things hadn't been so acrimonious, the Beasties might have been trapped a Def Jam even longer and put out White House or some shit, and maybe never would have had the amazing careers they did. I get Adam though - I'm also one of those people who still doesn't just forgive and forget because ultimately things turned out ok. If something was shitty, it stays shitty, even if other things around it turned out well.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 AM
technically insane

i saw it

I thought it was cool.

I still think RR should cut his hair.

It was like old friends coming together and they picked up right where they left off.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM
space cake cookie

i thoroughly enjoyed the convo

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 07-25-2020, 06:19 PM

I recently came across the clip from Fade to Black with Mike at Rick’s studio. I completely forgot about it and was surprised when he showed up (the vid title was something like “Jay-Z and Rick Rubin recording 99 Problems”). So I guess Mike and Rick have at least been civil for a while, and I’d guess there’s even a friendship if Rick was inviting him over to witness Jay-Z lay down a track like 17 years ago.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 08-10-2020, 06:48 PM
crazy sniffable

checked out rick’s recent visit on ?uestlove’s podcast, and when asked about the bboys leaving def jam, rick’s response was something to the tune of “it definitely remains the big elephant in the room. its only a matter of time until we address it. it could be next week for all i know, but it will happen”. again, not a direct quote, just the gist. interstingly enough, this interview aired july 7, while the bboys visit to rubin’s podcast aired on june 23. would be fascinating to know the timeline of these interviews’ happenings.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:23 AM

That was a fascinating interview. Lots of cool tid bits. It sounded quiet edited at times though and I’d love to hear an uncut version but I guess that’ll never happen.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:42 PM

Rick Rubin did an interview with 60 minutes last Sunday and they just posted the bonus video on their site. It's Rick telling the story of how he and Adrock discovered LL Cool J, but he also mentions that Adrock lived with him in the dorm during summers. I've never heard about that before ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ll-cool...es-2023-01-15/
Old 01-23-2023, 09:14 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama View Post
Here's the full interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyp3Gqwnjx8

Great listen!
Thanks for the link. I enjoy listening to radio shows, podcast, interviews in English a lot, I love their voices and it’s always fun to remember in this case the 80’s careless funny vibes along with silly Djs names and expressions like….

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!