Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM
rebel in black

Default Re: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

Never even heard of 311. But I don't live in the States.

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall

Old 08-09-2018, 05:36 AM
there it is

'fuck the naysayers cuz they don't mean a thing'

emckannon.wix.com/mc-kannon

Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Oh, so he’s from Florida. Makes sense.

ha.....ericOMG say hi to freddy D and the rest of the go-tee metal-rap posse. maybe some of those Charlottesville boys will make their way down the amber highway too.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:10 AM
there it is

you're so fucking stupid

Old 08-10-2018, 10:09 AM
there it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
So I just searched for 311 and gave them a listen. Who do I need to complain to about them? That shit is ghastly.
your mom

Last edited by ericg : 08-10-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Arrow Re: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
ha.....ericOMG say hi to freddy D and the rest of the go-tee metal-rap posse. maybe some of those Charlottesville boys will make their way down the amber highway too.
FYI, Charlottesville is a very liberal town. Most of those white supremacists at the rally were from other areas and other states. A lot of the counter-protesters were local though.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:23 PM
High Plains Drifter

311 is pretty terrible. So glad that era of poser rock rap is over.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 08-10-2018, 03:55 PM
there it is

any one of them has more dope in their little finger than you have in your family.
stop frontin like you have shit to say.

Last edited by ericg : 08-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
Nailed it.
Sir SkratchaLot nailed it. I just identified with what he said.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
Sir SkratchaLot nailed it. I just identified with what he said.
You nailed the part about being deep into hip hop but still loving 311 for their unique spin on it. It seemed to me that was Sir Scratch-a-lot was saying the opposite. That people deeply steeped in hip hop resented 311.

Your point, as I understood it, was that they were more a part of the mid-90's alternative boom of genre smashing (which of course the Bboys practically invented)

"They were not hip hop to me, or trying to cash in. They fell into (amazingly diverse) groups like Mr Bungle, Camper Van Beethoven, and Urban Dance Squad who were cross pollinating. Memories... Love them."

I mean whatever, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But from my point of view, YOU nailed it. I felt the exact same way about 311 when I was in high school in the mid-90's.

message board

Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Arrow Re: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

Quote:
You nailed the part about being deep into hip hop but still loving 311 for their unique spin on it. It seemed to me that was Sir Scratch-a-lot was saying the opposite. That people deeply steeped in hip hop resented 311.

Your point, as I understood it, was that they were more a part of the mid-90's alternative boom of genre smashing (which of course the Bboys practically invented)

"They were not hip hop to me, or trying to cash in. They fell into (amazingly diverse) groups like Mr Bungle, Camper Van Beethoven, and Urban Dance Squad who were cross pollinating. Memories... Love them."

I mean whatever, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But from my point of view, YOU nailed it. I felt the exact same way about 311 when I was in high school in the mid-90's.
I was explaining why I thought Beasties wanted to distance themselves from 311 rather than trying to put a personal value judgment on whether they are good or not. Everyone's experiences vary and I'm sure you'll find some hip hop heads (who were listening to Kool G Rap, Heiro and Ice Cube) also happened to love 311, but I don't think your average hip hop head in the 1990s was giving any notice to 311 and perceived them as cultural leeches.

If you try to look at it from the Beastie's perspective, they came up through old school hip hop ranks. Even as (arguably) one of the most influential groups in hip hop, they had a hard time gaining acceptance from hip hop audiences because they were not black. The culture (especially in the late 80s and 90s) was seen as a black art form and there is a LONG history of white musicians capitalizing off of black music. People were sensitive to that and putting too much emphasis on 3 white guys was seen as taking away from the black artists. So, I think a lot of people wrongfully denied the Beasties the respect they deserved, or never really gave them a chance. Again, I'm not trying to say this applies to every single hip hop fan, I'm just giving you what I perceived to be as the majority view of the hip hop scene.

My theory is that the Beasties, having dealt with a lot hip hoppers not wanting to give them respect, and having gained a lot of respect from their hip hop peers by the mid 90s, did not want to upset the apple cart by being associating with 311 or similar bands.

That's just the vibe I get from the situation though. It could also very well be that Mike just doesn't dig 311's music.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 PM
there it is

new people are getting turned on to both bands every day in new light so ... and they just like the dope vibes, professionalism, technology and art but honestly who can listen to their music and not like one tune or mix? come the fuck on. 'je suis.. et j'aime.. par 311 and/ or Beastie Boys' is all you had to say here and there wouldn't have been a problem. Mike D is def known for being a provocateur so i give him that... jokes on me fellas.

again, thanx to the few here who were neutral but being a good nazi don't count for shit like a prius or fossil fueled VW ... can you deal with that?

Last edited by ericg : 08-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:

In that case, you're right. I nailed it. It's good to find a kindred spirit!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg View Post
new people are getting turned on to both bands every day in new light so ... and they just like the dope vibes, professionalism, technology and art but honestly who can listen to their music and not like one tune or mix? come the fuck on. 'je suis.. et j'aime.. par 311 and/ or Beastie Boys' is all you had to say here and there wouldn't have been a problem. Mike D is def known for being a provocateur so i give him that... jokes on me fellas.

again, thanx to the few here who were neutral but being a good nazi don't count for shit like a prius or fossil fueled VW ... can you deal with that?
Honestly, I don't understand much of anything that you just said. I did like 311 back in the day though.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I was explaining why I thought Beasties wanted to distance themselves from 311 rather than trying to put a personal value judgment on whether they are good or not. Everyone's experiences vary and I'm sure you'll find some hip hop heads (who were listening to Kool G Rap, Heiro and Ice Cube) also happened to love 311, but I don't think your average hip hop head in the 1990s was giving any notice to 311 and perceived them as cultural leeches.

If you try to look at it from the Beastie's perspective, they came up through old school hip hop ranks. Even as (arguably) one of the most influential groups in hip hop, they had a hard time gaining acceptance from hip hop audiences because they were not black. The culture (especially in the late 80s and 90s) was seen as a black art form and there is a LONG history of white musicians capitalizing off of black music. People were sensitive to that and putting too much emphasis on 3 white guys was seen as taking away from the black artists. So, I think a lot of people wrongfully denied the Beasties the respect they deserved, or never really gave them a chance. Again, I'm not trying to say this applies to every single hip hop fan, I'm just giving you what I perceived to be as the majority view of the hip hop scene.

My theory is that the Beasties, having dealt with a lot hip hoppers not wanting to give them respect, and having gained a lot of respect from their hip hop peers by the mid 90s, did not want to upset the apple cart by being associating with 311 or similar bands.

That's just the vibe I get from the situation though. It could also very well be that Mike just doesn't dig 311's music.
Oh yeah. I also understood what you were saying. I don't disagree at all as to why Mike said what he said. I guess I had never really thought about it from there point of view before. But your hypothesis makes sense.

I was just surprised since they offered 311 up as a potential co-headliner in (what year was that?) '99... I always just assumed they were friends. 311-Music and 311- Grass Roots were as much a secret language the listener gets to decode as either early 90's Bboys record. To my ears, back then. at least.

message board

Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up Re: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
In that case, you're right. I nailed it. It's good to find a kindred spirit!
Thumbs up!

message board

Old 08-22-2018, 05:44 AM
there it is

hahahahahahhaah

omg why don't you just suck his dick. maybe have a little circle jerk with all your new friends...

Old 08-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
hahahahahahhaah

omg why don't you just suck his dick. maybe have a little circle jerk with all your new friends...
It's not that kind of party.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM
there it is

stop frontin.. it is that kind of party and 'i'm gonna stick my dick in the mash potatoes'

Last edited by ericg : 08-22-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:47 AM
the wondersmith

Thumbs down Re: wtf

Sir SkratchaLot and most of us just became stupider for having read the crap thats in this thread. someone needs to lock it before we all turn into apes

it's about time

Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 AM
repeat

Quote:
your mom
I'd stick to your terrible and quite frankly weird 'a rap' thread if that's the level of retort you're bandying about sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some korean pirate View Post
13 multilateral atomic arms reduction.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:11 AM

I still don't know who is mad at who, or why, but this is great.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 AM
technically insane

drugstore cowgirl and amber make my playlist

saw 311 a few years ago and loved it

311 makes up at least 1% of my playlist.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM

I saw 311 once open for Cyrpess Hill and the Phrcyde At the time they weren’t big and I assumed they were a group of 3 11 year old rapers. To this day I wish that was the case.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 08-24-2018, 07:11 AM

i can remember NEVER seeing 311 because they are horrible white trash music and I didn't grow up in a white trash environment or have white trash friends. I also didn't listen to Limp, Korn, Clown Posse or whatever was playing at your local Hot Topic in that era.

i DO remember seeing ATCQ, Beasties, Cypress Hill, EPMD, Ice Cube, Del, MF DOOM, Roots, El-P and whatever was playing at your local indie record store in that era because I have a fuckin decent taste in music.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 AM

Not sure if you’re calling me white trash, but like I said I didn’t even know who they were. Hot Topic wasn’t even a thing yet, neither was the rest of those shit bands you mentioned.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 08-24-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Not sure if you’re calling me white trash
i wasn't.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
i can remember NEVER seeing 311 because they are horrible white trash music and I didn't grow up in a white trash environment or have white trash friends. I also didn't listen to Limp, Korn, Clown Posse or whatever was playing at your local Hot Topic in that era.

i DO remember seeing ATCQ, Beasties, Cypress Hill, EPMD, Ice Cube, Del, MF DOOM, Roots, El-P and whatever was playing at your local indie record store in that era because I have a fuckin decent taste in music.
More awesomeness. No sarcasm. I love Micodin for being unfiltered.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
i wasn't.
Cool

Old 08-25-2018, 05:16 AM
there it is

i am though!.. fucking white trash..
hehe