Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Peace & Love

Default Re: The "ignore" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout18 View Post

Obama made a comment today about how Fedex and Ups are doing great up against the post office. I guess he said this to quiet those who think that public healthcare will destroy the private insurance sector. Right Wingers are enjoying this comment because it points out that a quasi govt program sucks when compared to a corporation.
Then those morons should pull up their mailboxes and go exclusively with Fedex and UPS. That is an extremely weak arguing point.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
good reactions, etc?

when you consider the magnitude of its task, i think the postal service performs really quite well actually.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Campus Fuckface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
it's no use asking, yeahwho, if he actually answers, he'll probably just be copying and pasting something someone else said.
Hey man, that's no different than posting a Rasmussen poll. Gawd!

Campus fuckfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
in the hip hop world, we call you a biter, and it's one of the most egregious things a person can do

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Bacardi by Night

Quote:
when you consider the magnitude of its task, i think the postal service performs really quite well actually.
I think so too. I don't really like Canada Mail. They charge you $30 every time you switch addresses (in the US, I think it was something like a dollar, or nothing). And they do no at-house pick-up (i.e., no flags on mailboxes), and they're closed ALL WEEKEND. US Post is pretty superior, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Alozando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
good reactions, etc?

i don't think i've ever had to pay to switch addresses. even setting up a forwarding address is free and easy as piss, though they do occasionally miss an item or two.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAdrock View Post
I think so too. I don't really like Canada Mail. They charge you $30 every time you switch addresses (in the US, I think it was something like a dollar, or nothing). And they do no at-house pick-up (i.e., no flags on mailboxes), and they're closed ALL WEEKEND. US Post is pretty superior, in my opinion.
Yes and American healthcare can also be superior.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I am your Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanSpam View Post
That's what I was thinking. Two of the reasons why I would argue the Canadian health care system doesn't work so well is the wait time and what you're alluding to, sometimes called "brain drain". If all of the countries in North America had the same system there might be less incentive to cross the border looking to open a private practice...but there might still be a shortage of doctors within the system because there's less incentive to become a doctor in the first place if all it will lead to is a standardized job in a nationally owned an operated hospital. But I have no proof to back up my point because it's all hypothetical.

The waits in Canada can be brutal sometimes:

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/170/5/776-a

Not good enough.
We're not mimicking or stylizing The US health care reform with Canada as a template.

No Boogeyman Here, Obama Says Canada’s Health Care System Not Scary

“I've said that the Canadian model works for Canada,” Obama said, “It would not work for the United States, in part simply because we've evolved differently. We have a employer-based system and a private-based health care system that stands side-by-side with Medicare and Medicaid and our Veterans Administration health care system. And so, we've got to develop a uniquely American approach to this problem.”

Canada’s single-payer, publicly funded model of health care has been used as a political football domestically by critics of Mr. Obama’s. Groups like Patient United Now have put up ads to give dire warnings about the negatives of Canada’s health care system, having first person testimonials of long waits and refusals for treatment, connecting those problems to the administration’s proposals.

I heard today on the radio that a larger percentage of Canadians do actually see the same doctor throughout their lives than US citizens. I cannot find anything to back that up, so maybe it's just because Canada's total population is 34,578 people.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Yes and American healthcare can also be superior.
if you can afford it, sure
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
anti-semite cossack sluts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Menace View Post
I heard today on the radio that a larger percentage of Canadians do actually see the same doctor throughout their lives than US citizens. I cannot find anything to back that up, so maybe it's just because Canada's total population is 34,578 people.
try 33,743,331

Quote:
baseball is the r&b of sports

Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Battletoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Menace View Post
We're not mimicking or stylizing The US health care reform with Canada as a template.

No Boogeyman Here, Obama Says Canada’s Health Care System Not Scary

“I've said that the Canadian model works for Canada,” Obama said, “It would not work for the United States, in part simply because we've evolved differently. We have a employer-based system and a private-based health care system that stands side-by-side with Medicare and Medicaid and our Veterans Administration health care system. And so, we've got to develop a uniquely American approach to this problem.”

Canada’s single-payer, publicly funded model of health care has been used as a political football domestically by critics of Mr. Obama’s. Groups like Patient United Now have put up ads to give dire warnings about the negatives of Canada’s health care system, having first person testimonials of long waits and refusals for treatment, connecting those problems to the administration’s proposals.

I know you're being funny but our population is actually around 30 million. I do know a large number of people from smaller communities who do have the same family doctor; of course, this changes if they bother to move away from the place they were born, which happens quite often in Atlantic Canada. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not uncommon to have the same doctor, but it depends on the region of the country you live in.

I would think Canada has a decent template for other countries to use for a national health care system. Aside from my two points I really have no place to be complaining about it. For some reason, I find Atlantic Canadians gripe about it more than anyone...go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAdrock View Post
Anyways, I think doctors would still have incentive to become doctors. I hate when people say that doctors wouldn't go into the profession if it was nationalized -- all of the doctors I know got into it because they wanted to help people. Yes, the money is a good incentive, but it's not the main reason why they do it. We'd still have quality doctors, and they'd still make a ton of money.
Just to be clear I wasn't implying that nationalization of health care is necessarily a bad thing, just that there are certainly issues that need to be addressed more vigorously. I believe that there are already measures being taken to address the very long wait period for some Canadians. But you can't deny that if you lived next door to a place where you could earn more for you practice, especially coming out of university with a gigantic loan, you wouldn't try to earn more money as fast as you can. I'm not advocating that practice, but it would be common sense to want to eliminate debt out of med school by grabbing a job at a private practice.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

Honestly for most of those stirring up a fit over this

Is it about the reform or is it about the party that is in majority behind the reform?

I'm going to go with the latter for at least 75% of those pitching a fit

Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to be one

Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoney$ View Post
The mere fact that I havent ripped you to shreds yet should be an example of my showing opponents a certain level of respect.
What the hell are you talking about? The one time you tried to "rip me to shreds" turned out to be a shoddy cut-and-paste job that you pretended you'd spent all night coming up with. Pathetic. If you had (or deserved) any respect you'd at least try to substantiate your opinions.

You can't explain to people this type of mindframe

- AY

Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Scientist

Quote:
I think healthcare costs are too high... congress can lower healthcare costs by capping premiums paid by docs and hospitals for malpractice insurance.

there, then the govt can get into the insurance business.

Obama made a comment today about how Fedex and Ups are doing great up against the post office. I guess he said this to quiet those who think that public healthcare will destroy the private insurance sector. Right Wingers are enjoying this comment because it points out that a quasi govt program sucks when compared to a corporation.

Not to speak for obama, but that isn't the point. The post office is there to provide a government service for those who need it. Thats what i think the public healthcare should be there for. For those who have to pay for cobra, like post college aged young adults, or people with dead-end jobs, or maybe people who are there own individual corporation. My cousin drives a truck, but doesn't meet any standards to join a union, so he has to pay for shit out of pocket. Thats who the public healthcare is for.
That seems reasonable to me in a number of ways -- a balanced viewpoint possibly appealing to people on 'both sides of the aisle' (lame expression I know as it implies there is only one aisle).

I think a government that provides 'free' health services with your taxes is a good one -- simple as that. The health services industry (in contrast) is about making money (i.e., maximising their profit at your expense). A true health service provider (by definition) should be about caring for people (not money making). There appears to me to be an inherent contradiction in a capitalistic health service. It is wrong for a "government of the people" to sell health and well-being to its citizens. A government could correct this situation in theory. However due to US historical and cultural legacy it may be too late. For many people in America it is considered to be morally sound to sell health. I think they are sadly mistaken for the following reasons specified below:

It is wrong that a government collects income tax (on almost every dollar of income), sales tax (on almost every item), road tax (tolls on some highways), sin tax (extra costs for cigs & booze), death tax on previously taxed income (hard to believe I know) and NOT provide universal healthcare (how can they get away with this in good conscience?). I think all this tax investment surely entitles one to the best healthcare in the world (especially when there are millions of people paying into such a tax system that takes so much of every dollar earned). Instead the US government spends its money on the military industrial complex (a shame beyond all proportions and belief).

Americans should be pissed off!

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 AM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle*s_Farm View Post

Americans should be pissed off!
they are, but over disturbing things
Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM
MCA 1964 - 2012

Healther Skelter...haha!

I love how the conservatives end up stuffing their words in their ass all the time

Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

why is this called the "ignore" thread and why is everyone posting in it?

ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
...has gone on atwixt, nay, afween the seams...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
MCA 1964 - 2012

did anyone hear something?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Bacardi by Night

Who said that? And what's that smell??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Alozando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we runnin' out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution that will fix everything!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM

im hiding in the bushes!

ritz

Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b i o n i c View Post
why is this called the "ignore" thread and why is everyone posting in it?
it is just like that cursed psychological test where you are instructed not to think of white elephants. i could not help but be drawn to something called "ignore". just like a naked person in a window -- pretty hard not to
take a peak.

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM

there is not one person on this message board who uses the ignore button. not one.

ritz

Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Battletoad

I do.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Peace & Love

I use the ignorant button every time I post.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKLqVCz8SA
I'm going dowwwwwn
[/url]

Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanSpam View Post
I do.
stop lyin!

ritz

Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Battletoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by b i o n i c View Post
stop lyin!
Totally not lying. I've got a couple on there. I don't think any of them post anymore, so it's kind of pointless to leave them on ignore, I guess.