Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 08-24-2022, 01:20 PM

Default Adrock's new benefit song "Pasadena Parrots"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFa8qXNy6Y

Here's the story behind the song...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...three-1389794/

I wouldn't mind hearing new rock songs by Adrock.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:44 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Default Re: Adrock's new benefit song "Pasadena Parrots"...

Damn, thanks for posting this! I could use a whole album of this energy maybe throw Mike D in too.

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 08-25-2022, 09:05 AM
shaZam!

Nice contribution for the birds

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 08-25-2022, 11:07 AM
space cake cookie

wow wasn't expecting that. on some dfl shit. i like it for the 45 seconds.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 08-25-2022, 01:26 PM

💩💩💩

thank you Adam.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:18 AM
technically insane

it's for the birds

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 08-29-2022, 10:44 AM
space cake cookie

it's disappointing how lazy horovitz got. i mean.... he/they are so young, i know they have more to give, more ideas, more music, more trendsetting adidas campus grand royal face of the monkey jazz infused hardcore on the hip hop tip smoothed out butter soft museum quality beats and rhymes. i will never understand the loss and what yauch meant above the book and words but he is waaay too young to toss in the towel. it's been 10 years. not expecting some mtv vanguard award comeback of the year thing, not expecting a beastie boys thing, but surely there must be something left in the tank aside from a 40 second hardcore bird song....

Last edited by dust monkey : 08-29-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
it's disappointing how lazy horovitz got. i mean.... he/they are so young, i know they have more to give, more ideas, more music, more trendsetting adidas campus grand royal face of the monkey jazz infused hardcore on the hip hip tip smoothed out butter soft museum quality beats and rhymes. i will never understand the loss and what yauch meant above the book and words but he is waaay too young to toss in the towel. it's been 10 years. not expecting some mtv vanguard award comeback of the year thing, not expecting a beastie boys thing, but surely there must be something left in the tank aside from a 40 second hardcore bird song....
I was hoping after a few years, one of the boys would release a solo album or join a super group or something since they were life long musicians... Unfortunately it never happened
Old 08-29-2022, 03:04 PM
crazy sniffable

-

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 08-29-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: forget it
Old 08-29-2022, 03:59 PM

Arrow Re: Adrock's new benefit song "Pasadena Parrots"...

The first thing I would say is that Adam and Mike both seem well poised for retirement. They've put in the work and they probably have the resources to pretty much do what they want. It wouldn't surprise me if he made this track as a favor to somebody.

The other thing is, these guys took ages to put out music even when they were still making music as "Beastie Boys". Maybe they just haven't gotten inspired yet.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:41 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Dude’s been in like 3 movies, scored films, has a kid, wrote a book. I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that
Old 08-30-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama View Post
I was hoping after a few years, one of the boys would release a solo album or join a super group or something since they were life long musicians... Unfortunately it never happened
I have to admit I am pretty surprised something like that hasn't happened yet. Considering how much they did up to that point, you would think it would still need to be a part of life. The book/book shows/movie I guess was something. But that was a memoir. It's something old, not something new.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:38 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
... I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that
of course there is nothing wrong with it, i'm just saying it's disappointing. when your whole life is cued to each era, in my case i was usually one album behind in terms of how i was behaving vs. them. i'd just love to hear what art they could create in their 50's...and again not beasties.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:42 AM

So entitled it’s unreal.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:11 PM
beastie_freakfreak

Quote:
Dude’s been in like 3 movies, scored films, has a kid, wrote a book. I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that
word to that!

"When you've got so much to say..."

Old 08-31-2022, 12:28 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
of course there is nothing wrong with it, i'm just saying it's disappointing. when your whole life is cued to each era, in my case i was usually one album behind in terms of how i was behaving vs. them. i'd just love to hear what art they could create in their 50's...and again not beasties.
If you say anything remotely critical, that is the response you get here, automatically. That lame strawman response.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 08-31-2022, 12:48 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
So entitled it’s unreal.
exactly...

Old 08-31-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that
facts. also went on a live book tour with Mike and turned it into a movie. i’m sure he hasn’t been stoned on his couch eating chinese food watching cartoons all this time lol.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:00 PM
Current Member

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that
We should all be so lucky. Notwithstanding the massive personal and professional tragedy that has put him where he is currently.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 09-01-2022, 12:57 AM

I liked the track. I'm glad I got to hear it. I would love to hear more.
I'd never call him out for being done, or doing what he loves.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:27 AM
space cake cookie

man we're all getting old and sooo nice.

remember those days when a hot take would ignite a weeklong smackdown of insults and slurs and slights....

Old 09-01-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
man we're all getting old and sooo nice.

remember those days when a hot take would ignite a weeklong smackdown of insults and slurs and slights....
It's against the system we should unite.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:51 PM
shaZam!

Sounds better than the AH joint!

Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 09-02-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
If you say anything remotely critical, that is the response you get here, automatically. That lame strawman response.
It’s beyond that though isn’t it. No one has - or at least shouldn’t have - any issue with criticism of the Beastie Boys actions, material, comments, news, performances etc. It’s all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.

However, the band are finished. It’s long been that way and quite understandably so. There’s never been any mention from Mike or Adam on working together or separately in music again. To criticise someone for being ‘lazy’ because you’re used to his former band’s previous output arriving on cue (which, frankly, is bizarre given their notoriously non-conformist schedule) is at best entitled, at worst moronic. The surviving members can do what the hell they want. Why be frustrated over something that doesn’t exist? If Adam promised you a further project and then didn’t deliver, I might understand - but even then I’d accept that it’s his decision. I’d also consider there’s probably more going on in his life than trying to appease dissatisfied fans after a lifetime’s work, or simply no desire to do so.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:25 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
It’s beyond that though isn’t it. No one has - or at least shouldn’t have - any issue with criticism of the Beastie Boys actions, material, comments, news, performances etc. It’s all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.

However, the band are finished. It’s long been that way and quite understandably so. There’s never been any mention from Mike or Adam on working together or separately in music again. To criticise someone for being ‘lazy’ because you’re used to his former band’s previous output arriving on cue (which, frankly, is bizarre given their notoriously non-conformist schedule) is at best entitled, at worst moronic. The surviving members can do what the hell they want. Why be frustrated over something that doesn’t exist? If Adam promised you a further project and then didn’t deliver, I might understand - but even then I’d accept that it’s his decision. I’d also consider there’s probably more going on in his life than trying to appease dissatisfied fans after a lifetime’s work, or simply no desire to do so.
Nobody is saying they can't do what they want! But if there is a new track and it sucks, fans should be able to say so on here without getting the "leave him alone he can do whatever he wants!" strawman non-sense. That's just part of being an artist. Most of the post Beastie Boys stuff has been flat out awful which is fine but I'm not going to pretend it's good, he's not 6 years old.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 09-02-2022, 04:02 PM
space cake cookie

i stand by my lazy comment. i would say the same thing to my wife or kid or business partner if i thought applicable in the context of their professional career and/or something that has defined them since they were 13 years old...especially if i thought they had more to give that could/would perhaps touch people, change peoples lives, inspire others, bring people joy, make the world a little better place, etc..

part of me is inspired by his just don't give a fuck attitude, can't get more punk and larry david than that. running through dan rather's interview, fucking with mike on echo chamber, the rubin pod, the WTF pod...come on man, rock the bells in his garage, etc.....his engagement on all those is minimal at best but kinda funny. all i'm saying is that i hear a little 30 second hardcore jam about birds, or his bars on YO KEV and in my mind i think.....dude ad rock, i can almost guarantee you want to go all-in like your verse on spam or hurras tracks, or on that DFL shit and you know you can, so can you please just give me more art to consume because i love you and the world needs you.

fan selfish perhaps...but hey so be it. i think it's ok for fans of their favorite band/actor/actress/poet/DJ/musician/etc. to still want the absolute best from them.

example. i love de niro, my #2 fav actor ever. for the past 15 years he's been lazy in not only selecting his roles, but also (in some cases) lazy in his performances. i think it's ok to be critical of this....and still love him at the same time.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:05 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

nah

you all just want him to do whatever silly ideas you have in your head like putting out a wax only compilation of new rhymes, non-political of course and mostly about weed, put out by rhymesayers, followed by a tour with a hologram yauch so you all can then say even more stupid shit like rope! rope! rope! so rope!
Old 09-03-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Lazy isn't a word I would have used if I thought about it for a long time. By the same token, neither is entitled. Both are opinions that label others without foundation, and subjective. I agree absolutely that it's all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.
Editing this post to mention that I am not the person who used the term lazy or entitled, just offering my opinion on their use by others.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 09-03-2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-03-2022, 12:54 PM
crazy sniffable

their legacy alone should substantiate their right to 'casually' create. as if that right should ever be in question under any circumstance, really. any opinion of the output is valid, favorable or otherwise, however to criticize the integrity of their work ethic veers into accusational territory, which feels awfully unjustified.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 09-03-2022, 04:03 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
nah

you all just want him to do whatever silly ideas you have in your head like putting out a wax only compilation of new rhymes, non-political of course and mostly about weed, put out by rhymesayers, followed by a tour with a hologram yauch so you all can then say even more stupid shit like rope! rope! rope! so rope!
this is really funny. like one of the funniest responses i've read on here in a long time...a long long time.

in other news, david lee roth aka roth lives released a studio live version of panama today, or yesterday or something. in honor of this release and the minute and a half i got into listening to it....I TAKE BACK EVERY WORD I SAID ABOUT THE KID. happy retirement my guy and thank you for a lifetime worth of growing up soundtracks, def rhymes, dope beats and funny interviews. gratitude ad rock.