Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-12-2023, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
I imagine physical copies do exist of the original part 1. I haven't been able to dig one up, unfortunately. I like that you used the term artifact, because it is basically a search for the undiscovered fossils that were Part 1. Digital copies were reviewed here, and discussed with tongue firmly implanted in cheek here.

The physical copies would have to be in house and are probably only available as CDR Acetates, because it does not appear that they ever got to the test press stage.

The most bountiful resource of the 2009 versions have come from things that were distributed prior to the announcement that the album would be delayed. Zdar's involvement seems to be the most concrete line of delineation between what was originally planned and what we got as HSCP2. I imagine that tracks that were sent out to potential re mixers in 2009 still exist, and probably provide the most promising source of original HSCP1 material. Just my thoughts.
Thank you for that, and thanks for the preceding posts with the links. Really great to hear the original Long Burn The Fire. While Zdar certainly spruced things up, I quite like the murkiness of the original. I vaguely remember a pre-Zdar Make Some Noise circulating prior - am I imagining that?

Yes I assume the original planned HSC1 never actually got to the pressing stage, so neither CD nor vinyl, but then I find it striking that cover art was completed etc and it wasn’t that far away from release date when the project was delayed (and ultimately resurfaced as part 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Crazy artefacts. Muddy as could be expected but thank you for these.

Also for clarity: Two versions of the first hot sauce. The one planned and then the one released. One version of the second (ostensibly), being Adam’s aforementioned “whole other album”.

Edit: just to add this planned version is hella fun to hear. They were about to just drop a heater on the fans. Crazy to think about.
Yes, that clarity is what I was striving for.

I find the original planned release of HSC1 enduringly fascinating for reasons I can’t quite pin down. It strangely still feels like a lost album, ultimately for tragic reasons, even if we did essentially get the album in mildly altered form two years later. It just kind of signals the final planned business as usual moments before everything changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
Separate set of trax than what we got…
aka the actual lost album…

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J DEVIOUS View Post
Shout out Bigfatlove and the Beastie Mania crew for helping me figure out the legitimacy of the record. Proper exciting stuff.

I'll leave this open if anyone what's to grab a copy. The recording isn't brilliant, but I din't want to mess with the sound too much.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

After some further digging, the RJ Sterling in the run out leads me to believe is was pressed by Ray Janos.

I've added it to discogs. Hopefully, some more will start to surface.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2693...-Ya-A-Cappella
Superb! Thank you very much.

On the topic of pre Zdar mixes, does anyone have the early version of Make Some Noise that was referenced earlier in this thread?
Old 06-13-2023, 10:30 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmanuk View Post

On the topic of pre Zdar mixes, does anyone have the early version of Make Some Noise that was referenced earlier in this thread?
I think it is 9:30 into this mix: https://youtu.be/5CeIBLUFj70?t=570

Might be mistaken
Old 06-13-2023, 02:30 PM

Arrow Re: Here's a Little Somethin For Ya 7"

Fascinating!

For what it's worth, I think the Zdar mixes are superior. HSCII is such a cool, underrated album. I'll never forget listening to that MSG Sasquatch debut. Epic.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:02 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Fascinating!

For what it's worth, I think the Zdar mixes are superior. HSCII is such a cool, underrated album. I'll never forget listening to that MSG Sasquatch debut. Epic.
Agreed fully on the mix though I will say the vocal treatments and overall ‘snug’ sound of the 09 mix on Long Burn is really interesting, and it serves the verses (particularly Horovitz) a little better.

HSCII sounds fresh even today. Like all of their catalogue, really.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-13-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Fascinating!

When I read the part in Beastie Boys Book where Adam described how HSCP2 was made and how "no one really gives a shit about your cool idea and liner notes" I was blown away, because I didn't know any of that for all the years in between the album release and the book release. I liked the album on its own, but I liked it even more knowing that this whole album was a band sampling themselves pretending to be fake bands. I don't care if you should like the music for the music: that whole concept is so fucking cool and exemplifies how even though they probably weren't going to be on top of the charts or doing any huge tours with giant rotating stages anymore, they were still innovating and making music that really interested both them and their fans. I'm so sad that the album basically got released and then got put on a proverbial shelf. There was so much creative potential energy stored up in that album waiting to be released, and no doubt Yauch would have been the one to let it all out.

I guess that's why this weird little scrapped single is so cool to see after all these years. It's like a little bonus for an album that definitely never got 99% of the attention it deserved.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
When I read the part in Beastie Boys Book where Adam described how HSCP2 was made and how "no one really gives a shit about your cool idea and liner notes" I was blown away, because I didn't know any of that for all the years in between the album release and the book release. I liked the album on its own, but I liked it even more knowing that this whole album was a band sampling themselves pretending to be fake bands. I don't care if you should like the music for the music: that whole concept is so fucking cool and exemplifies how even though they probably weren't going to be on top of the charts or doing any huge tours with giant rotating stages anymore, they were still innovating and making music that really interested both them and their fans. I'm so sad that the album basically got released and then got put on a proverbial shelf. There was so much creative potential energy stored up in that album waiting to be released, and no doubt Yauch would have been the one to let it all out.

I guess that's why this weird little scrapped single is so cool to see after all these years. It's like a little bonus for an album that definitely never got 99% of the attention it deserved.
Absolutely! And as to the 7", it's classic Beastie Boys steeze. Almost as good as a secret Country album.
Old 06-14-2023, 06:59 AM
beastie_freakfreak

Quote:
Absolutely! And as to the 7", it's classic Beastie Boys steeze. Almost as good as a secret Country album.

💯

Seems crazy that it's taken one (that we know of) this long to surface. Maybe it's an intentional leak to build hype for some bigger archive release?

"When you've got so much to say..."

Old 06-14-2023, 10:48 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Maybe it's an intentional leak to build hype for some bigger archive release?
hmmmmm....?

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 06-15-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
💯

Seems crazy that it's taken one (that we know of) this long to surface. Maybe it's an intentional leak to build hype for some bigger archive release?
The thought crossed my mind as well, although I can also see a situation where they scrapped this one due to the delay of the album and it sits because they like the final product better.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
💯

We’ll see 1….

thank you Adam.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:33 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Great detective work guys. Long Burn The Fire sounds awesome!

The Jerry Lewis, the 2007 Chicago Gala Show at the Riviera that was filmed for some sort of release, and Adrock mentioning they're open to releasing some unheard music, Hot Sauce Commitee Pt 1? The Mix Up Part 2 with vocals from MIA, Jarvis Cocker? Mastered final versions of Desperado, Scenario, I'm Down, Original Intergalactic, lots to look forward to potentially and keep the spirit of Yauch and Beastie Boys alive.

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by paulb : 06-15-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:
We’ll see 1….
That's on my bucket list.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
💯

I considered this too. Difficult to say anything Adrock says at face value but in terms of future archival / unreleased stuff, I’m sure he’s said on more than one occasion words to the effect of ‘well if the people want it…’

Maybe a little tester (taster) for that.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:45 PM

I don't think it's a planned release from current times. That's mainly because there's no copyright date, promo only, digital release, or way to purchase it. If it actually was that would be pretty damn cool, though. If CJ says we're getting 1 then I'm happy.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:15 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
We’ll see 1….
Any update on this...