Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Default TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

Beasties' Facebook page shared the following today:

"Back again!
These 3 titles have been out of print on vinyl, so we're bringing em back!
Get them at your local record store on December 8 or pre-order them here: https://UMe.lnk.to/BeastieBoysVinyl
The In Sound From Way Out, To the 5 Boroughs and Hot Sauce Committee Part Two are scheduled to ship on December 8 from the online store."

As someone who has been looking for an affordable pressing of TT5B for a while now, I am pretty pumped about this.

Adam, you will be forever missed.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 PM

Default Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

This is awesome!

Any idea about the details of the reissues (180g vinyl, remaster, anything like that)?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Jay

I was just about to post this. Definitely gonna cop that 5 Boroughs. Sad that the HSC vinyls wont be white. Luckily, I got that shit day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
This is a quote.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 AM

Yar all 180. Not remastered, I don't think.

And agreed, I've been trying to get TT5B for a while. I'd like an original, but I can never justify 80 bucks or whatever.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM

So for those interested....

I checked out the track listing on the TISFWO reissue and noticed that this pressing will have the standard US CD version tracks.

The original and 98 vinyl reissue did not have Namaste and Lighten Up, probably because there were not originally instrumental tracks. The CD version included these, but dropped Futterman's Rule (which I've always thought was a terrible decision).

So this 2017 reissue will essentially be the CD version, but pressed to vinyl.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Strange, cos the track-listing on the UK store is the original vinyl track-listing... i.e. with Futterman's Rule but without Namaste and Lighten Up. Though it also has the vinyl kicking off with Ricky's Theme. But you're right, in the US store it's as you describe. I wonder if they are actually different presses. Seems unlikely.

Quote:

Last edited by dave790 : 11-11-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Good point. I should have mentioned that I was looking at th North American store. The original pressing also started with Ricky's Theme, so maybe they just copied and pasted the wrong track listing? We'll see when it comes out. Anyone buying a copy from the UK/Europe store?

Last edited by tuc70021 : 11-11-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 AM

I probably will yes. I think it might just be the original vinyl track-listing for both, going off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Way-Out...ay+out+ vinyl), UK store is the same 12 tracks.

That makes a lot more sense about Ricky's Theme now. Either way, will confirm upon arrival!

Quote:

Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 AM

Arrow Re: TISFWO, TT5B and HSCPT2 Vinyl Re-Issue

My memory is that the original In Sound from Way Out was a limited mail-order Grand Royal offer for the first 5,000 people that ordered. It was advertised in Grand Royal Magazine. The record came on transparent yellow vinyl and had a numbered hologram sticker. I suspect this was never meant to be anything more than a limited release at the time they did this. It was really just a compilation of the album cuts of their albume tracks (or in some cases cuts from singles/eps). There was no new content (also, no CD or tape version was released). Keep in mind that not that many people were buying vinyl at this time. I'm not sure they were expecting it to be as successful as it was.

Some time later I think they figured out these instrumental tracks were worthy of more than a limited release. This was when the CD and black vinyl came out with the previously unreleased instrumental versions of Lighten Up and Namaste (at least, I always thought the vinyl reissue mirrored the CD, I could be wrong on this). Technically, this was the first re-release of this album. It appears that they put more thought and effort into the this release with the exclusive instrumental tracks and new song arrangement.

It seems odd to me that they would ever re-release the original yellow vinyl version because I suspect they put more effort into the project on the initial re-release to get the album where they thought it should be. But who knows! I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Sir SkratchaLot : 11-12-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Looking at Beastiemania, it appears all previous vinyl releases have the original (yellow vinyl) track listing. It would be cool if this one was the CD version with the new tracks.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Yup, all the previous vinyl versions have that track listing with Futtermans Rule and without Lighten Up and Namaste.

In addition to the yellow vinyl limited release of 5000, there was also a regular black release as part of the first pressing too. This wasn't a numbered, limited edition, but was an original pressing that had the same track listing. Then the reissue in '98 had the same listing as well and came only in black.

I didn't expect these reissues at all, but now that we have them, I'm kind of wondering why they didn't reissue other albums that could use a re-boot. The Mix Up has never been reissued, but then again, it's still cheap on Discogs and other places, so maybe they figured there wasn't much demand. Aglio e Olio came out the same year as The In Sound From Way Out ('95), and to me has always had the most frustrating vinyl history of all the major releases. To my knowledge, there was only ever a Canadian vinyl release and they can be pretty pricey today. Then there was the Australian 2x7" polycarbonate lathe-cut release, but those are crazy expensive and don't sound very good.

I also think Aglio e Olio would do well for a reissue because it could be remastered really well. Since it was an instrument-based punk rock album, I bet there's a lot more they can do with those original tapes as opposed to hip-hop releases where you're remastering samples that can't really be remastered.

So yeah...... Capitol execs..... I've got $30 with your name on it for an Aglio e Olio remaster (maybe on white vinyl????)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM
crazy sniffable

Futterman's is the ropest. Sounds like the soundtrack to the illest Coors Light or Juicy Fruit commercial ever.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Good point. I should have mentioned that I was looking at th North American store. The original pressing also started with Ricky's Theme, so maybe they just copied and pasted the wrong track listing? We'll see when it comes out. Anyone buying a copy from the UK/Europe store?
I ordered one each from the US, and had a friend from Spain (thanks Xavier!) order one each from the EU store. I emailed King's Road Merch to see if they could tell me how many were unique pressings (UK, Germany, and Australia specifically). They replied back and said they're only the retailer and don't have any idea.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Yup, all the previous vinyl versions have that track listing with Futtermans Rule and without Lighten Up and Namaste.

In addition to the yellow vinyl limited release of 5000, there was also a regular black release as part of the first pressing too. This wasn't a numbered, limited edition, but was an original pressing that had the same track listing. Then the reissue in '98 had the same listing as well and came only in black.

I didn't expect these reissues at all, but now that we have them, I'm kind of wondering why they didn't reissue other albums that could use a re-boot. The Mix Up has never been reissued, but then again, it's still cheap on Discogs and other places, so maybe they figured there wasn't much demand. Aglio e Olio came out the same year as The In Sound From Way Out ('95), and to me has always had the most frustrating vinyl history of all the major releases. To my knowledge, there was only ever a Canadian vinyl release and they can be pretty pricey today. Then there was the Australian 2x7" polycarbonate lathe-cut release, but those are crazy expensive and don't sound very good.

I also think Aglio e Olio would do well for a reissue because it could be remastered really well. Since it was an instrument-based punk rock album, I bet there's a lot more they can do with those original tapes as opposed to hip-hop releases where you're remastering samples that can't really be remastered.

So yeah...... Capitol execs..... I've got $30 with your name on it for an Aglio e Olio remaster (maybe on white vinyl????)
There are 2 legit Canada 12" releases for AEO. Black and Translucent brown. I don't know if it was intentional or a difference in manufacturing though.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
My memory is that the original In Sound from Way Out was a limited mail-order Grand Royal offer for the first 5,000 people that ordered. It was advertised in Grand Royal Magazine. The record came on transparent yellow vinyl and had a numbered hologram sticker. I suspect this was never meant to be anything more than a limited release at the time they did this. It was really just a compilation of the album cuts of their albume tracks (or in some cases cuts from singles/eps). There was no new content (also, no CD or tape version was released). Keep in mind that not that many people were buying vinyl at this time. I'm not sure they were expecting it to be as successful as it was.

Some time later I think they figured out these instrumental tracks were worthy of more than a limited release. This was when the CD and black vinyl came out with the previously unreleased instrumental versions of Lighten Up and Namaste (at least, I always thought the vinyl reissue mirrored the CD, I could be wrong on this). Technically, this was the first re-release of this album. It appears that they put more thought and effort into the this release with the exclusive instrumental tracks and new song arrangement.

It seems odd to me that they would ever re-release the original yellow vinyl version because I suspect they put more effort into the project on the initial re-release to get the album where they thought it should be. But who knows! I guess we'll see.
It's funny how this keeps popping up (The In Sound discussion). I remember you saying that there were instrumental only versions of Namaste and Lighten up on the '98 reissue. I pulled out all of the vinyl and compared the tracks and basically found that all of the official TISFWO copies (from the test pressing through the last pressing in '98) were the same. Those tracks were also the same as the original French Fan Club release which came out just before. The only thing that changed on the '98 reissue (which I never realized until I just wrapped my head around what you were saying) is that the CD dropped Futterman's Rule, added the instrumentals for Namaste & Lighten Up, and changed up the sequence.

It's been bootlegged 4 times on vinyl since then. The first boot was a two LP that had the original 12 tracks in sequence plus Namaste & Lighten up from the '98 reissue CD tagged on at the end. The second boot is a straight rip of the original without the 2 new tracks that showed up on the '98 CD's. The third boot is the same as the original vinyl but with a different label and catalog number. The fourth boot is also the same as the original but pressed on 2 different color vinyls (we've found 9 color variations so far).

All of the subsequent reissues on CD have been the same as the '98 CD with the exception of Japan pressings which have 2 x each instrumentals of Sure Shot and Get It Together Remixes. I can't believe it took me so long to finally get what you were saying, but thanks for helping me understand.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 11-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
There are 2 legit Canada 12" releases for AEO. Black and Translucent brown. I don't know if it was intentional or a difference in manufacturing though.
Huh, I never knew. My version is translucent brown, but it looks black until you hold it up to the light. I always assumed it was just a weird grade of vinyl and they intended for it to be black.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It's funny how this keeps popping up (The In Sound discussion). I remember you saying that there were instrumental only versions of Namaste and Lighten up on the '98 reissue. I pulled out all of the vinyl and compared the tracks and basically found that all of the official TISFWO copies (from the test pressing through the last pressing in '98) were the same. Those tracks were also the same as the original French Fan Club release which came out just before. The only thing that changed on the '98 reissue (which I never realized until I just wrapped my head around what you were saying) is that the CD dropped Futterman's Rule, added the instrumentals for Namaste & Lighten Up, and changed up the sequence.

It's been bootlegged 4 times on vinyl since then. The first boot was a two LP that had the original 12 tracks in sequence plus Namaste & Lighten up from the '98 reissue CD tagged on at the end. The second boot is a straight rip of the original without the 2 new tracks that showed up on the '98 CD's. The third boot is the same as the original vinyl but with a different label and catalog number. The fourth boot is also the same as the original but pressed on 2 different color vinyls (we've found 9 color variations so far).

All of the subsequent reissues on CD have been the same as the '98 CD with the exception of Japan pressings which have 2 x each instrumentals of Sure Shot and Get It Together Remixes. I can't believe it took me so long to finally get what you were saying, but thanks for helping me understand.
Yeah, my problem is that I've always been under the mistaken impression that the subsequent vinyl releases mirrored the CD, and they don't. I do remember a decent gap in time between when the original yellow vinyl was done and the CD came out. Maybe a year or so. I wonder if when they decided to do a full fledged release of the CD version they put the money into mastering for the CD with the instrumental tracks, but did not want to bear the expense of doing a separate re-master for the vinyl on the basis that vinyl wasn't selling well back then. So, the subsequent vinyl releases would have had the same master as the original vinyl and the CD mixes got a new master with the added instrumental versions of those two songs. Just a guess, but its the only reason I can think of why the CD and vinyl don't match.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Yeah, my problem is that I've always been under the mistaken impression that the subsequent vinyl releases mirrored the CD, and they don't. I do remember a decent gap in time between when the original yellow vinyl was done and the CD came out. Maybe a year or so. I wonder if when they decided to do a full fledged release of the CD version they put the money into mastering for the CD with the instrumental tracks, but did not want to bear the expense of doing a separate re-master for the vinyl on the basis that vinyl wasn't selling well back then. So, the subsequent vinyl releases would have had the same master as the original vinyl and the CD mixes got a new master with the added instrumental versions of those two songs. Just a guess, but its the only reason I can think of why the CD and vinyl don't match.
I have a master that was created in 2003 from capitol with a cue sheet and everything if you want to have a look at it. Just email me if so.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
I probably will yes. I think it might just be the original vinyl track-listing for both, going off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Way-Out...ay+out+ vinyl), UK store is the same 12 tracks.

That makes a lot more sense about Ricky's Theme now. Either way, will confirm upon arrival!
If the UK is any different from the EU I ordered I'd like to know!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM

The reissue of HSCP2 makes me wonder if they'll ever release any of the other material from that era. This reissue appears to have even less that the original pressing (since it doesn't come with the bonus 7"). If there was a time to release any lost tracks, I would have guessed it would be with the reissue. Maybe they won't do it because Yauch isn't around the have creative input though.

Same could be said for TT5B, but I get the feeling they didn't have as much stuff at that time. I think The Mix Up would do great for a bonus disc. The bonus instrumental stuff from the Hello Nasty remaster in 2009 was pretty good, and I imagine if they have been focusing their time and energy on instrumental tracks around TMU, they probably have even better stuff.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I ordered one each from the US, and had a friend from Spain (thanks Xavier!) order one each from the EU store. I emailed King's Road Merch to see if they could tell me how many were unique pressings (UK, Germany, and Australia specifically). They replied back and said they're only the retailer and don't have any idea.
King's Road emailed back And said they don't have any idea on how many unique pressings there will be. They're only the retailer. I guess we'll have to wait until December 8 to find out.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 11-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Huh, I never knew. My version is translucent brown, but it looks black until you hold it up to the light. I always assumed it was just a weird grade of vinyl and they intended for it to be black.
I have an Ill Communication that's the same way. I think you're on the money about the vinyl being different somehow, and that it's an oddity rather than a completely different vinyl run.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 AM
auxfnx.com

Quote:
Same could be said for TT5B, but I get the feeling they didn't have as much stuff at that time. I think The Mix Up would do great for a bonus disc. The bonus instrumental stuff from the Hello Nasty remaster in 2009 was pretty good, and I imagine if they have been focusing their time and energy on instrumental tracks around TMU, they probably have even better stuff.
so The Mix Up Bonus Tracks EP on vinyl? https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...s-ep/716427625 Would be sick

Glad I got an original TT5B some years back for standard price! At the same time, I missed out getting HSCP2 when that came out, so absolutely delighted for this reissue, though I miss the 5.1 mix, 7" and white records... Wonder why TT5B is 10 pounds more expensive though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
I've always wanted to pass out on one of those moving sidewalks at the airport so I could wake up to forward progress.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Where did all those Mix Up bonus tracks come from? The only ones I'd heard of before were The Mix Up and Fibonacci Sequence that were released on Japanese exports I believe.

Was this an iTunes-only release or something?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Music est. 1986

This is going to be a long post with lots of tangents, that being said a couple of things to comment on this thread:

tuc70021 the 4 other Mix Up b-sides come from the Gunnin’ For That #1 Spot Soundtrack. 
My personal favourite is Politickin’
It would be dope to see a Lmtd Edt. Vinyl release of the 7 mix up b-sides.
**Hey if any Beastie Boys or Capitol executives are reading this. us fans have money that we would gladly hand over to you guys, this goes for any other unreleased stuff**
Btw, for those of you reading this but don’t have them, the mix b-sides and bonus tracks are: Beasley is a Beast, The Mix-Up, LTD, Biscuits & Butter, The Fibonacci Sequence, The Panda Rat & Polticikin’. I think you can get all of them off iTunes.
I don’t think the Mix-Up vinyl needs reissued quite yet. The 2007 pressing is of decent quality and most stores still have it available in stock. 

On to ISFWO

The day that Yauch died I walked to ‘Play De Record’ here in Toronto and bought the UK double vinyl bootleg (it included Namaste & Lighten Up). 
It was a weird day, I worked a 12 hour shift and remember walking down Queen street here in Toronto and everyone was blasting beastie boys from either their storefront windows or out of their cars. I ended up passing by Much Music (Canada’s MTV) where they were live filming some kind of shitty TRL-esque show, and pressing my bootleg copy of In Sound up against the window and mouthing “RIP MCA” the host and guests on the show turned around and looked at me confused and one them kinda of said, “oh yeah that guy who died today” due to fatigue and grief, I possibly looked more strung out or weirder than usual, but ultimately didn’t care that they didn’t get it. 

Fast forward to 2017. I was finally able to score one of those elusive Lmtd. Edition, Yellow In Sound pressings off Discogs at a great deal of $66 CAD (this included the shipping to Canada). I returned to Play De Record and sold them back my UK bootleg copy at the same cost they sold it to me 5 years prior. 

Play De Record is also where I was able to score one of their last copies of TT5B for $24 before it jumped to the high $80-100 prices that started popping up a year later and that we currently see now. 
Some other Play De Record scores include Milk’s Spam EP in the value bin for $8, Major Laser’s play no game yellow vinyl for under $10, the mix up vinyl for under $25 and Rock Hard that I ordered directly from their store before I was living in city.

A few Play De Record missed opportunities; 15 years ago I still remember them carrying and at one point holding in my hands an original gatefold copy of the hip-hop sampler and a few months ago I passed up buying DJ BC’s iLL submarine (will pick it up next time if I see it).

For those who are giving props to Ricky’s Theme and Futterman’s rule and if you’re a collector and don’t already own them, I highly recommend trying to get your hands on the Get It Together White Vinyl 45 and the Root Down 45. The B-sides are Futterman’s rule for the first and Ricky’s theme for the latter. 

It would be nice if they reissue Aglio E Olio but if you can get your hands on the original 12 inch sound is pretty sufficient. 
I have a 12 inch copy that I bought here in Toronto at ‘Rotate This’ that is not the translucent Brown Vinyl. I can confirm this because, I’ve held it right up to a light and also have another translucent 12 inch single from Big Audio Dynamite to compare it to. The only 12 inch copy of Aglio E Olio listed on Beastiemania is the translucent Canadian release. So there must be two different pressings. BigFatLove you might need to update that. I can help you out if needed. 

On the topic of AgLio E Olio and collecting, I just acquired the Australian double 45 lathe cut off Discdogs for $64 CAD (price including the shipping to Canada).

For those who are interested in adding this to your collection, according to beastiemania it’s only limited to 1420 copies and is the only place you can get a recording of their live (or pseudo live, can anyone confirm?) cover of the Door’s ‘Light My Fire” featuring Miho Hatori from Cibo Motto (also the vocalist on ‘twenty questions’, ‘I don’t know’ and the Jam’s Cover and Alive b-side ‘start’). The Agile E Olio double 45 is also the only vinyl pressing I know of that has Soba violence. 
A bit of warning though. Since it’s a lathe pressing, the sound quality is absolute shite. You can try to rectify this by weighing a penny down on the needle (this ultimately a bad idea, since it will ruin your records).

- Why I mentioned the record shops here in Toronto is because they always seem to carry rare Beastie Boys. Honourable mention goes to June Records, Cosmo Records on Queen W. and Grasshopper Records near Dundas and Ossington (the owner gets rare stuff from Japan regularly).
- Why I mentioned my deals on discdogs, if you’re a collector keep your head up and add stuff to your wan’t list as there are always amazing deals that pop up, you just have to wait a bit and “Be Patient” 
- I’ve almost been collecting for 20 years and only recently have acquired some of these big ticket, rarer items. I’ve only ever purchased these items if I could acquire them at a great price.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Looks like TT5B is no longer on the US store site (still on the EU, UK, and German sites though). I wonder if they sold out the entire US run already.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:03 AM

My order hasn't even shipped yet, but the record store in my area has all the sitting on three shelf! The curse of the on line store is in full effect!
Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

I just purchased TISFWO vinyl at my local record store. From the outside, to my eyes, it’s the same track listing etc as my yellow vinyl rather than what I saw posted online at store sites. It looks the same overall except for the little 2017 copyright with the 1996 one.

I also bought another copy of TT5B for no good reason except emotions. Man, I miss buying Beasties stuff. :/
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Documad View Post
I also bought another copy of TT5B for no good reason except emotions. Man, I miss buying Beasties stuff. :/
If it makes you feel any better, a "good reason" would be that you now have a mint copy of TT5B that you can play without worrying about wearing out your original pressing. I'm tempted to buy the TT5B and HSCP2 reissues for this very reason.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Documad View Post
I feel the same way. I've been able to find new stuff for 30 years, and now that the well has run dry it's an odd thing to adjust to.