Old 12-04-2020, 04:36 PM

Default Never saw the Beasties do this.

https://youtu.be/uowpDTDcVK8

thank you Adam.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:11 PM
space cake cookie

Default Re: Never saw the Beasties do this.

OH

....well then.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 PM
crazy sniffable

"fuck me? fuck me."

well taken, Mike. hahaha

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-04-2020, 05:55 PM

in the streets we call this dry snitchin’.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:02 AM

That was the last time I saw them. I remember they shouted out Sly and Tower of Power, which was kind of funny, because they couldn't think of anyone else.

Back then there wasn't pc police everywhere, a white person could say another rapper's rhyme with that word in it and it was no big deal.

I know they wouldn't say it now, but, it is in the song...
Old 12-05-2020, 10:33 AM

Alllllllllllllllrighty then.....

I'm assuming most of us on this board were around at the time, but for those who might be younger, just know that there are different perspectives about how things were at the time, specifically regarding the n-word and it's use by white people.

From my perspective, things were kind of "loose" at the time, but I'd definitely say that was limited more or less to hip-hop, and even there the jury was very, very out. In fact, while people like A Tribe Called Quest were openly embracing the word on Midnight Marauders, lots of black leaders were calling for everyone - including black people - to stop using it. Al Sharpton and others even had a "funeral for the n-word" in New York.

From my point of view, this whole question about can white people use it was kind of a cultural moment in a very specific sphere, but the resounding answer was "no." I guess picture it this way: imagine you are just some regular ol' straight man, but you happen to have lots of gay friends and you're really cool with them. Now, could you walk into a gay-owned business, a gay club, etc. and yell "Oh what's up fags!?" Like..... maybe, but for everyone who gave you a pass, 5x as many would probably be like "who the fuck is this jabroni?"

This would probably be filed (to borrow a term from MCA) under the band's "wrong moments" or "oops" files. Obviously they had no malintent, but looking back it's like.... probably could have just substituted another word in there without destroying the "integrity" of the song. Not out of pressure from any PC mobs or anything, but just because it's probably the right thing to do. I would never say it out loud even if I was using some else's lyrics (huge reveal on the message board: I'm white), but that's not because I care about being PC or I'm afraid of what would happen. A lot of people were just brought up to not use it ever, so we don't.

But this show looked fucking BOMB! Damn I wish I was there...
Old 12-05-2020, 12:17 PM
crazy sniffable

i imagine that reasoning was made in the punk rock tradition, to the tune of "fuck it, these are the words in the song so that's how we're going to perform it. we know who we are, what we stand for, and any mudslingers can take a walk."

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-05-2020, 08:28 PM

Angry Re: Never saw the Beasties do this.

I think if you have the attitude that whites shouldn't say it, you should also say no one should say it.

Or else say it's ok for everyone to say.

But to say some can say it, and some can't, based on race.... that kind of defeats the whole purpose of standing for equality. It's hypocritical.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:39 PM

I agree with your assessment. Sometimes a white person could say it and it would amount to nothing. But, they have to realize, everyone does not feel the same way about it, so they are always running a risk of offending someone. Unless of course, they are among a group of good friends. But even then it's reckless to get into the habit of saying it, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Alllllllllllllllrighty then.....

I'm assuming most of us on this board were around at the time, but for those who might be younger, just know that there are different perspectives about how things were at the time, specifically regarding the n-word and it's use by white people.

From my perspective, things were kind of "loose" at the time, but I'd definitely say that was limited more or less to hip-hop, and even there the jury was very, very out. In fact, while people like A Tribe Called Quest were openly embracing the word on Midnight Marauders, lots of black leaders were calling for everyone - including black people - to stop using it. Al Sharpton and others even had a "funeral for the n-word" in New York.

From my point of view, this whole question about can white people use it was kind of a cultural moment in a very specific sphere, but the resounding answer was "no." I guess picture it this way: imagine you are just some regular ol' straight man, but you happen to have lots of gay friends and you're really cool with them. Now, could you walk into a gay-owned business, a gay club, etc. and yell "Oh what's up fags!?" Like..... maybe, but for everyone who gave you a pass, 5x as many would probably be like "who the fuck is this jabroni?"

This would probably be filed (to borrow a term from MCA) under the band's "wrong moments" or "oops" files. Obviously they had no malintent, but looking back it's like.... probably could have just substituted another word in there without destroying the "integrity" of the song. Not out of pressure from any PC mobs or anything, but just because it's probably the right thing to do. I would never say it out loud even if I was using some else's lyrics (huge reveal on the message board: I'm white), but that's not because I care about being PC or I'm afraid of what would happen. A lot of people were just brought up to not use it ever, so we don't.

But this show looked fucking BOMB! Damn I wish I was there...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
I think if you have the attitude that whites shouldn't say it, you should also say no one should say it.

Or else say it's ok for everyone to say.

But to say some can say it, and some can't, based on race.... that kind of defeats the whole purpose of standing for equality. It's hypocritical.
if anyone is looking for the worst take, this is it. congratulations, you played yourself.

this is on some All Lives Matter type of ignorance.

Last edited by Micodin : 12-06-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:16 AM

I see it more as they are just being true to Q-Tip’s rhymes. Those lyrics are how he expressed himself. Ultimately it’s the Beastie Boys name on the IC album, those lyrics are part of it, on the sleeve etc. While you can argue that it changes things if Q-Tip is not there in a live setting, they obviously thought otherwise at the time - or were certainly relaxed about it.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that it would provoke a minor shit-storm if performed that way today though, and I’d have to say with good reason.

Incidentally the energy of those 95 shows is incendiary.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 12-06-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Not gonna go out of my way to defend this. I think they should have subbed other words.

But I do recall that a lot of non-black people thought it was ok to quote the n-word or use the hard r in a historical context, even as recently as the mid 2000s. The “never ever say it” consensus is newer, even if a lot of black people felt that way all along. I had white high school teachers that would say it while teaching history and tons of white kids I knew would rap along to songs with all the n-words.

Not great, but 1995 Mike D quoting Q-Tip’s n-words is not the same as finding out 2020 Mike D says it in his every day life.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 12-06-2020, 07:55 PM

https://youtu.be/SdTMadTi5dU

thank you Adam.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
if anyone is looking for the worst take, this is it. congratulations, you played yourself.

this is on some All Lives Matter type of ignorance.
Micodin,

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never say All Lives Matter. I know you don't know anything about me, so I will just tell you, I know the difference.

You can do better than resorting to insult and cliche. Don't be afraid to think about things, and say what you think, and why.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Micodin,

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never say All Lives Matter. I know you don't know anything about me, so I will just tell you, I know the difference.

You can do better than resorting to insult and cliche. Don't be afraid to think about things, and say what you think, and why.
for HUNDREDS of years black people were called that ugly name and then they flipped it and made it their own. now you’re going to tell them they can’t use the word anymore just because you can’t? FOH with that white man entitlement bro, no one cares.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:30 PM
space cake cookie

fag and/or faggot are still two of my favorite words

Old 12-07-2020, 10:28 PM

I don’t think they actually say the N word. I listened to it three times and it doesn’t sound like they are actually saying it. They sound like they aren’t even saying a full word. Just a uh or something. I don’t know, I can’t imagine they would say it.

I was also at this show and I don’t remember them saying that but I might not remember.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 12-07-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
I don’t think they actually say the N word. I listened to it three times and it doesn’t sound like they are actually saying it. They sound like they aren’t even saying a full word. Just a uh or something. I don’t know, I can’t imagine they would say it.

I was also at this show and I don’t remember them saying that but I might not remember.
Nah they definitely say it. Mike says it the first two times but adrock and Yauch are saying stuff under him. Then Mike says it the second time and then Yauch says it the 3rd time. They easily, easily could have replaced it each time. The third time it is not even a rhyming word. So I think it's too bad they made that choice. BUt whatever

I noticed it and was surprised. I'm not gonna defend them. I think it's not cool. Though, I can look at it through the lens of 1995 and agree with most people's hot take on it. I was around then. I said it then. I've been recorded saying it for a bit. I don't think it was cool I said it either.

Aside from that, it's a great performance. It's maybe the best one I've seen. I don't usually like it when Tip tries to do with them. At least the few recordings I've seen. He's having fun, but he fucks up every time.

I love Yauch's weird jagged movements as he finished a verse that ends before the bar is up or whatever.

message board

Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
for HUNDREDS of years black people were called that ugly name and then they flipped it and made it their own. now you’re going to tell them they can’t use the word anymore just because you can’t? FOH with that white man entitlement bro, no one cares.
"Just because I can't?" I don't know? I wasn't talking about myself personally when I made that observation. I don't say it, I don't need to.

And all black folks don't feel the same way about it. There are plenty that wish it had never become a thing.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:46 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
I don’t think they actually say the N word
lol, I don’t know Man, When I listen to the first n-bomb a little too hard I even hear an ‘er at the end lol

We like the band so we’ll give it a pass or even defend it but It ain’t right. I don’t however subscribe to the thought of ‘95 being a different time as an excuse, non black people using it now get shit for it, if Twitter, Instagram, smartphones were around back then I’m sure they would catch heat for it too.

This was posted back back back in the day on these boards, maybe not the same exact show but Using tip’s lyrics when they did it live. I think the tone of the post was the same, some disagree, some agree, some defended it

Personally, I want to hear more from Dr. Dre. I bet the Apollo story was definitely true lol
Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
I don’t however subscribe to the thought of ‘95 being a different time as an excuse...
2 cents.

i do subscribe to the thought of different time/different place. better perhaps in some regard, less so in others. i said bad bad things to a lot of people, i rapped along to NWA loud, i quoted chappelle's rick james skit many a time "they gave you ... too much money". today...nope unless alone in my car and nobody next to me at a stoplight. this is part of the reason newish hip hop doesn't appeal to me. not because the bars and beats aren't sometimes better, the word just got harder to rock with the older i get. anyway i def think there's something to different time/different place. having said that, people are so god damned sensitive nowadays i'm just tired of the judging/cancelling for shit that was said 20 years ago. it's gone too far & i'm prob the most liberal leaning person i personally know. it was said, hopefully you learned something and matured and that's it...keep movin'.

i mean how we ever going to get Desperado if things like this are scrutinized....big picture my friends.

Last edited by dust monkey : 12-09-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
2 cents.

it was said, hopefully you learned something and matured and that's it...keep movin'.
I'd rather be a hypocrite than a zombie - Ad Rock

Over The Years, I've Grown And Changed So Much
Things I Know Now Years Ago, I Couldn't Touch
There Are Things I've Done That I Wouldn't Do Again
But I'm Glad That I Did 'Cause I've Learned From Them - MCA

i've got a hole in my head and there's no one to fix it
got to straighten my thoughts, i'm thinking too much sick shit
everyone just takes and takes, takes, takes, takes
i've got to step back, i've got to contemplate - Mike D

I've thought about these lyrics (and quote) a lot as I get older, and I gotta say, it's one of the things that keeps me firmly "in it" as far as diehard fan. I love that they acknowledge mistakes and keeping yourself in check. Both lyrically, and when put on the spot about changes to their public persona.

For me at least, I come back to these thoughts when I realize I've grown and changed and other people I'm close with haven't. I'm only responsible for myself. And it's on me to make sure I end up a better person than I was when I was 15-25-35 whatever age. end stream of conscious pre-coffee thoughts.

message board

Old 12-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
lol, I don’t know Man, When I listen to the first n-bomb a little too hard I even hear an ‘er at the end lol

We like the band so we’ll give it a pass or even defend it but It ain’t right. I don’t however subscribe to the thought of ‘95 being a different time as an excuse, non black people using it now get shit for it, if Twitter, Instagram, smartphones were around back then I’m sure they would catch heat for it too.

This was posted back back back in the day on these boards, maybe not the same exact show but Using tip’s lyrics when they did it live. I think the tone of the post was the same, some disagree, some agree, some defended it

Personally, I want to hear more from Dr. Dre. I bet the Apollo story was definitely true lol
I by no means was defending them. I was just saying it was hard for me to make it. It’s not cool if they said now or then. I wish they didn’t, but I guess they did and that sucks. But as with the Beastie Boys they would own up to it and apologize for being stupid.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 12-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Didn't mean to cause a shit storm. It was just something new.
But on the same note...this was the era they took the word pimp out of SYR.
'like a shrimp i'm shrimpin'

thank you Adam.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:01 AM
Music est. 1986

This is disappointing. There is no defending it.

For me the arguments of it being a different time doesn't fly. I grew up in the 90's, it wasn't ok to say. Not saying that we haven't all made mistakes but there was no grey area here.

As it was already mentioned, if the Dr. Dre Apollo story is true, then they already had their own lesson / experiment on how they shouldn't say it: https://www.spin.com/1998/09/story-y...eastie-boys/2/

That being said other MC's and artists have said it, two that come to mind off the top of my head is Bob Dylan on 'Hurricane' and Zack de la Rocha on 'I'm Housin' with context and covering being the guise, and maybe that was the Beasties approach was but who knows.

I don't know if it was a bet, maybe they got the go ahead from someone else in the band or what they were thinking. But as a fan who is inspired, motivated and sometimes guided by their art, it sucks. On the other hand I have also learned to stop lionizing artists. They're just people. To err is human and I am in no position to judge anyone or to stand on any moral high ground.

There is a Beastie Boys Facebook group and some person got called out for saying something racist and they responded by saying something along the lines of "Beastie Boys themselves say the N word on Get It Together" I chimed in saying they never did, and now I stand corrected. And that's another reason why it sucks because idiots like that are going to see it as a pass.

Side note on the "PC police, cancel culture" debate. Obviously there is a lot more sensitivity and some could argue an over correction. But we are also just hearing previously silenced people say "fuck off, these things were never ok to say, we just weren't allowed to say anything before" Plus everyone who seems to be complaining of being "cancelled" seems to be doing it from a platform that they're not cancelled from while making tons of money doing so. Making some oppressed people think they're not yelling "Fuck Off" loud enough.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Online Since 1999

Not defending any kind of racism at all, but I see the paradox in being wrong for they to sing the lyrics of one of their own songs. Probably it's unfortunate, and that's why MCA doen't say that word, but maybe with the spur of the moment mike and adrock just spitted the rhymes that happened to be the last word of the verses (so it's not a word you can't hide so easily).
Again, not defending it, but I don't think this even close to a "Cosmo Kramer racist show" situation

beastiemixes.com

Old 12-18-2020, 05:41 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Racism is schism on a serious tip.

Who is to know if they just got caught up singing Q-tip’s lyrics because they are in the actual song? Or if they had a big meeting to discuss it, weighing the pros and cons? Or if they were trying to make some sort of statement? Or didn’t think twice and just let it fly because times were different than they are now.

I know they definitely wouldn’t make that same decision today. They’ve grown and changed and evolved over time.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 PM
space cake cookie

An Oral History of the Beastie Boys: “The Story of Yo”

"Doctor Dre: I was onstage at the famous we-almost-got-killed concert at the Apollo Theater, opening for Run-D.M.C. Everybody was like, “Look, whatever you do, don’t say ‘nigger'” — because it was part of what we did, before a lot of people were doing that in hip-hop. They didn’t mean it in a negative way, they meant it as something warm and generous to their audience. But Russell grabs me and says, “Don’t let ‘em do it.” And I’m like, “What am I gonna do? I’m in the back DJing.” So they’re out there doing “She’s On It,” and Ad-Rock says, “All you niggers, wave your hands in the air!” I’ve never seen so many blank stares! Mike looks back like he doesn’t know what to do, but Yauch was like, I’m out of here! And Ad-Rock’s going, “Come on y’all, come on y’all,” and nobody’s waving back. They finished the song, dropped the mics, and ran off the stage. I’m still out there, and everybody’s kind of looking at me. I run upstairs to the dressing rooms, and everything’s gone. They weren’t even on the tour bus. They all jumped in a cab and went home."