Old 09-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

Default Sabotage Usage

Just heard "Sabotage" used in a digital banner ad for Destiny 2...I've heard it in movies before...but this seemed odd...

clicked on the ad...

https://www.destinythegame.com/landi...unch-USDisplay

"All I ever really want to do is get nice
Get loose and goof my little slice of life"

"In the next millennium I'll still be old school"

Last edited by CatchaGroove : 09-02-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Phone your mom or dad!

Default Re: Sabotage Usage

Movies are all good because they are definitely paying to use it and it is not advertising.
Advertising is a whole other ballpark and in almost all cases forbidden.
You may have stumbled on a case where a song is being used illegally.. or maybe not because the band nay have approved the use for a videogame, which is similar to a movie in that it is not a physical product as much as it is an intellectual property

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 09-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Yeah, the line between being used for "art" and advertising seems to have been pretty blurry with the Beasties. Their songs have been used in very commercially-driven movies before, and as a result, are also used in the promotional materials for those movies.

I think their big beef was with using their songs to sell products with the music contributing nothing in an artistic sense. That's why they had that problem with Monster Energy (also because Monster didn't clear anything with them).

I think they do a great job of maintaining their music's integrity without acting like their songs are sacred hymns that should never be used for commercial reasons. I love hearing a random Beastie song in a movie or somewhere where I least expect it, but I'm also glad that I don't see ads for Slim Jims with So What'cha Want playing in the background.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Current Member

Director wrote to them.

Looking forward to D2's inevitable grind.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
dope

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 AM

I always thought movies were cool, because of Yauch's connection with film making.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

Thanks for finding/sharing the story on the Director writing to the fellas. Glad its all good.

"All I ever really want to do is get nice
Get loose and goof my little slice of life"

"In the next millennium I'll still be old school"

Old 09-09-2017, 10:41 AM
space cake cookie

nice....seems like chances of securing those precious rights are greater when asking for sabotage.

the golden goose egg song
Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

The movies I could understand. Yauch himself on these boards said movies are different to him when allowing rights to their music. But by their very own words (really their lawyers' words but nonetheless) when they put out a statement on the whole Goldie "girls" parody

"As creative as it is, make no mistake, your video is an advertisement that is designed to sell a product, and long ago, we made a conscious decision not to permit our music and/or name to be used in product ads"

I personally cannot understand how that statement wouldn't be applied to the Destiny video game. It is a product.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
The movies I could understand. Yauch himself on these boards said movies are different to him when allowing rights to their music. But by their very own words (really their lawyers' words but nonetheless) when they put out a statement on the whole Goldie "girls" parody

"As creative as it is, make no mistake, your video is an advertisement that is designed to sell a product, and long ago, we made a conscious decision not to permit our music and/or name to be used in product ads"

I personally cannot understand how that statement wouldn't be applied to the Destiny video game. It is a product.
But Yauch played games. If all three (Dechen, Mike, Adam) signed off then I guess that's that. We don't know the conditions of approval.

Edit: I agree though; it is a product and they have forbidden that previously. It may be a catch-all for when the usage is unauthorised?

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 09-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
But Yauch played games. If all three (Dechen, Mike, Adam) signed off then I guess that's that. We don't know the conditions of approval.
I don't see Yauch playing games as a reason for doing anything. He also ate food, wore clothes, and traveled. If a song appeared in ad for pizza, sneakers, or uber I think it would raise some eyebrows going back to his request in his will. The only difference I see in terms or using beastie boys music between monster or Goldie or destiny is that destiny sought out the rights to use the music in their product ad where as the others simply tried using fair use or some loophole.

You're right that we don't know the conditions of THEIR(the band and his wife) approval but we do Know Yauch's request that his music not be used for advertising. That we do know.

They're allowed to do whatever they want, my whole thing is that there's always going to be questions raised when the band's music appears in commercials especially after Yauch's will made headlines after his death for not allowing his music in advertising
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
I don't see Yauch playing games as a reason for doing anything. He also ate food, wore clothes, and traveled. If a song appeared in ad for pizza, sneakers, or uber I think it would raise some eyebrows going back to his request in his will. The only difference I see in terms or using beastie boys music between monster or Goldie or destiny is that destiny sought out the rights to use the music in their product ad where as the others simply tried using fair use or some loophole.

You're right that we don't know the conditions of THEIR(the band and his wife) approval but we do Know Yauch's request that his music not be used for advertising. That we do know.

They're allowed to do whatever they want, my whole thing is that there's always going to be questions raised when the band's music appears in commercials especially after Yauch's will made headlines after his death for not allowing his music in advertising
Agreed. The will only made headlines for its intent, though. It's not legally enforceable. From a perspective of respecting his wishes, the request for use in this case made it through the necessary channels, was given consideration and approved.

They all obviously agreed the raised eyebrows were a side-effect they could stand to bear. It just makes me question it less as things like this crop up. It's their IP. The man's widow is comfortable with it.

Shout at the Devil!