Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 04-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Post Movie Discussion *Spoilers*

Just finished the movie and all I can say is that I loved every minute of it.

I had an ear to ear smile the whole time only broken up with the occasional chill every 5 minutes and some actual tears at the end. I never really well up for movies but there were a few times when I cracked. I don't know if it's the covid shit or what.

From some of the bullshit reviews (pitchfork) and because my knowledge of the band and having read and listened to the book inside and out.
I thought I was going to like this but not be blown away. I didn't like this. I loved this. I was not disappointed for one minute. I have no critiques. It was great.

What did everyone think?
Old 04-23-2020, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Post Movie Discussion *Spoilers*

i had a blast watching it. i laughed, danced in my chair and shed tears as well. i thought the clips during the end credits were great. MCA telling JMJ to stop being mad at him was hilarious. i really loved all the Yauch love. i wasn’t expecting the amount of apologies to Kate but it came from a good place. it was also nice seeing getting into their tunes again. good stuff and just like every beasties show it goes by too fast and you want more at the end.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Hero

It was outstanding. I had been in a depressed mood today already and I was crying before the intro was even over. When they had the young kid taking about them being together for the entire adventure, I broke. I smiled and laughed a ton but got choked up a bunch.

I’ve said it before on here over the years, but these dudes shaped me immensely and I honestly would be so different if they weren’t a part of my life. Too much influence. It all flooded back tonight. Cheesy and corny, but true.

Love this band.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 PM

An amazing journey down memory lane. Loved every minute of it. Didn't want it to end. Laughed, cried...what a journey, they nailed it. That era and their music was one of the best times of my life.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 PM

Loved it. Laughed, teared up, got stoked. I liked that it was different from the live show I saw and the bonus stuff at the end of the credits was great. Hoping it’ll get some sort of release with more bonus stuff.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
Just finished the movie and all I can say is that I loved every minute of it.

I had an ear to ear smile the whole time only broken up with the occasional chill every 5 minutes and some actual tears at the end. I never really well up for movies but there were a few times when I cracked. I don't know if it's the covid shit or what.

From some of the bullshit reviews (pitchfork) and because my knowledge of the band and having read and listened to the book inside and out.
I thought I was going to like this but not be blown away. I didn't like this. I loved this. I was not disappointed for one minute. I have no critiques. It was great.

What did everyone think?
Hoping to watch it tonight in the UK 👍 should be a great end to the week.

Side note: I wouldn’t get too fixated on the Pitchfork review. Yes it was one of the first major reviews and yes it’s got its own thread, but it’s the only negative one I’ve actually read. Otherwise good to excellent reviews across the board, as the 94% rating on RT shows.

Can’t wait til this evening!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Legoland

Loved every second of it. Really sums up everything I love about the band. Made me laugh and cry all at the same time.

Though two hours is no time to tell about 30+ years of friendship, and just like the book I do believe they spend too much time and space about them being young than them developing themselves and their music, and how each album has its own identity and reflects a certain time from when it was made.

But I guess it is also just them being too humble about the greatness for their albums, and not enough time for them to tell it in.
Though they really summed up theirs and everybody else’s love for Yauch! So all in all a perfect film for all the fans.

Last edited by Friis gal : 04-24-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:35 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friis gal View Post
Loved every second of it. Really sums up everything I love about the band. Made me laugh and cry all at the same time.

Though two hours is no time to tell about 30+ years of friendship, and just like the book I do believe they spend too much time and space about them being young than them developing themselves and their music, and how each album has its own identity and reflects a certain time from when it was made.

But I guess it is also just them being too humble about the greatness for their albums, and not enough time for them to tell it in.
Though they really summed up theirs and everybody else’s love for Yauch! So all in all a perfect film for all the fans.
As die-hard fans, of course we are more interested in the more modern aspects of their careers. I mean, we're all pretty familiar with the story! But, to gloss over the ridiculous way they climbed to stardom wouldn't make sense. They are hoping this makes it to people other than us. They have to focus on that.

You're right, they are so humble. That's why I particularly enjoyed the discussion about '94 Lollapalooza where they basically said that they went out to "beat" all the other bands every show and acknowledged that they in fact "won." That made me tear up too haha. I was a 42-year old bearded mess last night.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 04-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Wicked!

The movie was great, though being at the King’s Theater for the April 9 taping, they sure did cut a lot out. A few fun stories missing from the final cut, and the appearance of the dick in a box. Still a great film and I plan to watch again soon!

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"

Old 04-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Current Member

Perfect.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM
space cake cookie

loved loved it, whole fam in tears at end. seeing it live was awesome but it worked better like this. so many pics and videos i had never ever seen. i'm glad MMM was there when i watched live but i think it was a wise decision to leave him off stage for the movie. spike nailed it, no other way to say it.

kids that's your history lesson right there, the birth of hip hop intertwined with the birth of this band. and to be one of so few bands that never broke up (at least officially), who kept going and putting out grade A content, and most importantly who remained closer than fam throughout it all....damn.

salute to beasties, you were fire before fire was a thing.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 04-24-2020, 12:27 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

That was some dope shit. Obviously if you went to one of the actual shows you knew what it would mostly be but all the additional stuff was really cool. I let that one bad review start to get me down on this but this was really damn good.

The only thing that stood out to me different from the live show, and I could be wrong my memory sucks, but I remember a pretty dope, hyped up montage video for when they talked about touring again for check your head and having to work hard, they did the Dolly Parton song montage thing instead.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Loved it. I made my wife sit down and watch it with me because "this is very important to me." She begrudgingly obliged.

I was at one of the original King's Theater shows and the one at the Tower in Philly. My only knock is that some of the material that absolutely killed at those shows - the ring story, the Mike D/bathtub story, and the Bob Dylan pro-smoking benefit story - didn't make the final cut. I know they had to keep the running length down for the doc, but those stories went a long way to showcase the personalities of the band and were also just hilarious. Would have been good to include them IMO to break up the "history lesson of the Beastie Boys," as my wife put it.

Minor quibble though.

Last edited by kanderer : 04-24-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM
MCL with a story to tell

I appreciate the changes Spike made as they kept it fresh for anyone who read the book/listened to the audiobook or attendee the original run of live shows during the book tour. I did miss some of the funny stories e.g. the ring and the bathtub mentioned above, but I’m sure they’ll make it to a Blu-Ray at some stage, O-Scope maybe?

What I thought was absolutely excellent was the addition of Yauch’s voice! Those fleeting snippets from that interview allowed him to present the story to us along with Adam and Mike. Those were special.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin MCL View Post
What I thought was absolutely excellent was the addition of Yauch’s voice! Those fleeting snippets from that interview allowed him to present the story to us along with Adam and Mike. Those were special.
i had not even considered this but damn you nailed it, nice call out. it did add another layer that felt so organic i guess i just totally overlooked it.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 04-24-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:

This will sound harsh, and it is, but my only thought was they could have utilised that option more - or certainly beyond the snippets of one or two c.1998 Yauch interviews. But then again, there's only so much time and naturally the focus is on the show itself. So not a complaint as such, but it makes me wonder what could have been - albeit getting the rights to various interviews etc must be a nightmare.

Honestly though, I loved it. Every second. They will always be my number one band, and this just solidified that for me. I could hear Adam and Mike talk over old photos and clips indefinitely, and the build up to a massive Yauch tribute was beautifully done, and perfectly explained.

If I was to nitpick - 1) I would have liked more live footage, 2) the complete erasure of TT5B is a minor disgrace - the jump from the HN peak to Bonnaroo is far too great for me. I understand the cutting process etc, but it does a complete disservice to a very valid era, and 3) the final 10 mins collage gives a real glimpse of what a Spike doc may have looked like without the emphasis on the stage show. I am in no position to say whether it would have been better overall like that or not, but it's a fucking great 10 minutes or so...

All that being said - fuck, it was beautiful. And I watched it with a nice bottle of red, so feel free to disregard this entire post.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 04-24-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:43 PM
(¯`·.,¸¸.-»

Talking Re: Post Movie Discussion *Spoilers*

Wow. I have no words. This is a fucking monument.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:40 PM
one lonely beastie i be

I was at the April 10th taping and I felt like I was back in the theater laughing and crying. However I felt the parts that made me laugh until I cried were left out, mainly The Ring and Mike D in the green jumpsuit stories.
I was sitting the row in front of Ben Stiller and at first I was sad they cut that part out but then something made me watch beyond the credits and I made the cut!! It’s the 2nd time I made it into a Beastie movie!!
Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 PM
one lonely beastie i be

Quote:
I did miss some of the funny stories e.g. the ring and the bathtub mentioned above, but I’m sure they’ll make it to a Blu-Ray at some stage, O-Scope maybe?
I’m still waiting for the special scenes from AIFST.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:42 PM

I flat out loved it. I bought the book but didn't read it. After Yauch's death, there have been large chunks of time where I haven't been able to do anything Beastie related. It hit me harder than I thought anything like that could, and I've lost important people in my own "real" life. I'm so glad I watched the movie and it was the right kind of thing for me as a fan (who loved all three of them equally for different reasons).

I imagine it's challenging to figure out the right balance in a project like this. I think it succeeded at what it was meant to do. It allowed fans who couldn't get to a live show to see the live show, and recorded that for the public record. Bless them/Spike for that. I was thinking that it's not really for the casually-interested. If you never had an interest in Beasties before now, this isn't the best way in. But who cares? And maybe I'm a little bit wrong because a close friend who isn't a fan texted me to say that she watched and was moved because she could feel the friendship.

This probably opened me up a bit. I have the Spike Jonze DVD video collection and obviously the Beasties video collection. I remember that one or both have some amusing commentary so I'll dig those out and wallow in more Beasties this weekend.

Best wishes to you all -- nice to see familiar names! Stay safe, and be good!
Old 04-25-2020, 03:51 AM

Arrow Re: Post Movie Discussion *Spoilers*

I loved it too. It really encapsulated what they're about. I think Yauch would have approved and I wish he could have been there with them to do this.

I was at the Philly show and there were some nice bits I would have liked to see but understand why they got cut. For example, bringing out the actual dick in the box was some crazy shit. That was epic and hilarious. And even though it was weird, the part where the got into an actual, physical fight and Adam pushed Mike into the stack of unsold Paul's Boutique records was great. That seemed like something Yauch would have come up with. Here's hoping for the Blu-Ray.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:00 AM
shaZam!

It was 5am here when it aired on appletv...hope it's possible to watch it today!?!

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 04-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Nasal Poets/Nasal Tongue

As usual - well done fellas!

Gratitude.

"All I ever really want to do is get nice
Get loose and goof my little slice of life"

"In the next millennium I'll still be old school"

Old 04-25-2020, 03:48 PM
rebel in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonky pizza View Post
It was 5am here when it aired on appletv...hope it's possible to watch it today!?!
If you check the new homepage (wo-hoo! ) it says it can be streamed, so I understand it's there to stream anytime! Now I just need a working computer...

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall

Old 04-26-2020, 08:02 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-grrrlie View Post
If you check the new homepage (wo-hoo! ) it says it can be streamed, so I understand it's there to stream anytime! Now I just need a working computer...
Thanks a lot b grrrlie and wooh ohh for the new home page !

Yeah, funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 04-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Online Since 1999

I loved it.

I also think the ring story should be in.
About the time jumping from hello nasty to bonaroo, I found it quite big at first, but it makes sense since their career (personality as a group, their sound, human rights vision, etc.) had already been stablished and didn't change until the end

beastiemixes.com

Old 04-26-2020, 11:10 AM

especially because they told it on the tonight show, a less good version..

(i think)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:10 AM

I liked the Pauls boutique clips and photos that ive never seen before.
I saw this show at Earth, hackney, London so l had kind seen it before but this was more streamline.
They should of spoke about TT5B, The Mix Up and HSCPT2 even if it was just ten minutes.
But this is great story telling, l think the side stories should of been left out for the book, this was more about the course of their career, it just should of mentioned their last 3 albums.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 04-26-2020, 02:44 PM
Call me pip

you need words? that's bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable
Pip has the best avatar.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:03 AM

Yeah thats the whole point is'nt it

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"