Old 05-16-2020, 05:31 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Anthology Pt. 2

Been on a Beatles kick this past week and was reading and listening to their anthology from '95 and started thinking about how cool it would be if Beastie Boys did something similar.

Include press snippets, half finished songs, demos and maybe The Jerry Lewis could be our Free Bird (although I fear there is too much hype around this song and nothing will be able to live up to the anticipation).

Or maybe us fans could make up a definitive anthology with what is already out there.

I would include Desperado, some of the Brooklyn and Paul's Boutique demos, maybe some things like learning Remote Control.

What would you include?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:37 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Default Re: Anthology Pt. 2

Id include nice hi-res studio tracks of:

-Shadrach (Soul Train studio track)
-Desperado
-I'm Down
-Scenario
-Fight for your right with the extra verse
-Full Clout
-The Jerry Lewis
-Pretty much all Pauls Boutique demos and any other tracks they have with different vocal takes
-Run DMC & Beastie Boys radio spots
-The Mix Up Pt2 with vocals
Quote:
Lily Allen, Jarvis Cocker and MIA are among the acts set to lay down vocals over Beastie Boys music, it was reported today.

According to Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch, the band are in discussions with a variety of artists who will put vocals on a new version of their recently-released instrumental album ‘The Mix-Up’.

Speaking to Billboard.com, Yauch said the aforementioned acts will be involved, and “a bunch of British people” and described the concept as “like a different version of the album, with a bunch of people guesting on it.”

He also said they may put together Super 8 footage filmed on this tour to make a movie-version of the album, saying “While we were in Singapore we filmed stuff, and in Australia and different places. We’re talking about cutting it together into a full-length film that kinda goes the length of the album. https://www.nme.com/news/music/beastie-boys-43-1341027”
- Intergalactic (Original version)
- In A World Gone Mad
- This Government Needs A Tune Up
- Radio,Radio ft Elvis Costello (live on SNL)
- Biscuits and Butter
- Nothing To Say
- Dont Play No Game That I Cant Win
- Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament

Something that shows the demos, alternative versions, showcase studio tracks since the last Anthology.... One can dream.

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Id include nice hi-res studio tracks of:

-Shadrach (Soul Train studio track)
-Desperado
-I'm Down
-Scenario
-Fight for your right with the extra verse
-Full Clout
-The Jerry Lewis
-Pretty much all Pauls Boutique demos and any other tracks they have with different vocal takes
-Run DMC & Beastie Boys radio spots
-The Mix Up Pt2 with vocals
- Intergalactic (Original version)
- In A World Gone Mad
- This Government Needs A Tune Up
- Radio,Radio ft Elvis Costello (live on SNL)
- Biscuits and Butter
- Nothing To Say
- Dont Play No Game That I Cant Win
- Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament

Something that shows the demos, alternative versions, showcase studio tracks since the last Anthology.... One can dream.
this would be dope as hell except for in a world gone mad. wish they could've lost the hard drive with that song somewhere in montana.

throw in root down from the tibetan freedom concert album and the new style no alternative joint
Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
except for in a world gone mad. wish they could've lost the hard drive with that song somewhere in montana.
haha. in a world gone mad, i can unequivocally say, is the worst beastie song ever...period ever period again. and i don't even know what the next worst would be cause i love them all. and i still listen to this but if i'm being objective this is a horrible track. the only horrible track imo.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 AM

What am I on crazy pills!

Not their finest moment, albeit a free and hastily arranged effort. I remember when it became available, I was too young to understand bitrates. I must have downloaded it in the lowest possible form, as it sounded awful. So years later when I heard a relatively clean version, it was an improvement - but yeah, that track will still never make any Beasties playlist for me!

I also remember the relief when I heard Ch-Check It Out.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:53 AM

I saw them perform it at Coachella back when I could stand festivals and before hand Yauch was talking about the political climate and the state the country was in and these guess next to me kept yelling shut up and play no one cares. I’m guessing they were the fight for your right fans and then they played in a world gone mad and it was crickets. I’m sure glad they scraped that song and to the five boroughs was good.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard a studio version of it.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 AM

Arrow Re: Anthology Pt. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
haha. in a world gone mad, i can unequivocally say, is the worst beastie song ever...period ever period again. and i don't even know what the next worst would be cause i love them all. and i still listen to this but if i'm being objective this is a horrible track. the only horrible track imo.
Yeah, they like to diss "What Goes Around", but this one is way worse. I have no issue with the content or message, it's that sing-songy chorus. Yikes!

Of course this didn't stop me from tracking down the 12" promo with the promotional one-sheet. Don't think I ever played it though.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Just listened to it. The beat is cool

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 05-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Just listened to it. The beat is cool

I've always thought the beat was great! Simple, but still well done. ANd yeah that Crazy Pills lines is funny.

I think it's just the lack of Mario C in the mix. They didn't know how to produce themselves in the new studio yet. It's a good demo, shitty song.

message board

Old 05-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Im mad at myself that I didnt include Bundt Cake on my original list. So, throw that in my original Anthology Pt 2 list.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 AM

Would you guys want this on the Anthology?

I'm Down (demo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jWfTcRhq8

Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM
space cake cookie

my girl likes franks not pork n beans
i'm gonna wax that girl right out them jeans

always loved this opening, hearing mca come in hot right from start. rest of track is meh but in a nostalgic good way. don't remember when i first heard but it was around the time i was really diggin for lost LTI era cuts like desperado, scenario, rock hard, beastie groove, etc. prob between '89-92. at the time i wanted more LTI sounds so bad i think i would have ranked i'm down much higher than what i think of it now. now i would be more excited for anything around the CYH/IC era's now since that really seems to be the apex of owning their lane. and maybe more from HSC time since horovitz said that felt like '94 again. i'm just not sure there's much left, so many good b-sides have officially been released from CYH/IC era i can't imagine there is much left above and beyond the stoner jams they've referenced a few times.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 05-22-2020, 02:39 PM

If we’re in the realms of fantasy, I’d also include The Scenario. And of course as much HSC-era unreleased material as possible.

Also: I watched the Anthology DVD from start to finish the other day. I’d say that has been an annual ritual for the past 18 years (not including the first 2 years of release where I basically consumed both discs weekly).

Anyway, I’ve always thought it was ahead of its time and damn, even if it came out today, it would be seen as a great release that fully utilises the format. The videos / music speaks for itself, but so many cool additional options That said, I like to play them without the supplements in the normal, in sequence feature as the 5.1 is so ridiculously good. It’s still the best audio for me for a number of tracks. Ahead of any remasters and vinyl since. Those DVDs through a good surround system - fuck, it blows me away every time.

It got me thinking how cool it would be to have every Beasties video released on an updated Criterion release in similar fashion. Never going to happen, and not sure how it could really without Yauch’s input, but one can dream. Also there is a shit tonne of videos when you think about it. Triple DVD anyone?

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I'm Down (demo)
Not their best work, but it's still cool to hear new versions of songs from over 30 years ago.

I'm ready for more stuff from the vaults...
Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
It got me thinking how cool it would be to have every Beasties video released on an updated Criterion release in similar fashion. Never going to happen, and not sure how it could really without Yauch’s input, but one can dream. Also there is a shit tonne of videos when you think about it. Triple DVD anyone?
A few months ago they re-released all the videos online in HD.

I think that's closest we are going to get to your idea or them going further with the music videos.

I hope I am wrong though.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I'm Down (demo)
even though I enjoy FFYR as a song, and I understand THAT SONG is the reason Beastie Boys got to become Beastie Boys as we know them, ever since I heard I'M DOWN, Iv'e wished it had been on LTI instead of FFYR.

message board

Old 05-23-2020, 12:28 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:

I'm Down (demo)
Whoa, I don't think I have ever heard this version before!

I have seen the title I'm Down (demo version) before
But just ignored the demo part thinking they were calling the song a demo not actually thinking it was a real demo and different version of I'm Down
Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
Whoa, I don't think I have ever heard this version before!

I have seen the title I'm Down (demo version) before
But just ignored the demo part thinking they were calling the song a demo not actually thinking it was a real demo and different version of I'm Down
Oh shit! same. Thanks for posting Paul B.

message board

Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 AM

Enjoy a different mix of Im Down "Final version" different from Original Ill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtoBNo2ov4

Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Enjoy a different mix of Im Down "Final version" different from Original Ill