Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Current Member

Default Re: Eminem Shouts Out Beastie Boys in BET Awards 2011 Cypher

It's a funny thought that responsible parenting will include teaching one's kids about good hip-hop.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
He's probably the best rapper living.
did Rakim die?

thank you Adam.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
did Rakim die?
His spark did.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
His spark did.
Haha. Booya
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Mad Child

Most great rappers are still alive. Kid's right though, Eminem still has the skrillz to pay the thrillz.

Thats insane, you're stupid...you should sleep late man, it's just much easier on your constitution.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Kid's also right that most great rappers have lost their spark. The Beasties are kind of a different thing though. They are great entertainers... MC's as they like to say.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm0ney View Post
Most great rappers are still alive. Kid's right though, Eminem still has the skrillz to pay the thrillz.

well, he's got the humility to play the pop game. that's something I don't think Rakim is too interested in. I can respect both sides of that coin, though I'd be far more inclined to cue up a Rakim record than an Eminem one anyday. that's just me though.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Mad Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
well, he's got the humility to play the pop game. that's something I don't think Rakim is too interested in. I can respect both sides of that coin, though I'd be far more inclined to cue up a Rakim record than an Eminem one anyday. that's just me though.
Agreed.

Thats insane, you're stupid...you should sleep late man, it's just much easier on your constitution.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM

This is sweet.

"Doris the Finkasaurus!"

Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

This reminded me, (This isnt against Eminem personally) The other day I was with my old brother (20) and his best friend (19) and his friend said "Eminem and Paul Wall are the two top best white rappers we've ever had." and my brother comes back with "I absolutely disagree with that." His friend was pretty confident he was right so my brother had to say "Paul Wall is a joke, how about the beastie boys?" etc, and sat there and spread it all out for his buddy, many details of the beastie boys career, how he's seen their lyrics be stolen by bunk ass rappers, it was satisfying to see.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: Eminem Shouts Out Beastie Boys in BET Awards 2011 Cypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAadROCKMiKEd7 View Post
This reminded me, (This isnt against Eminem personally) The other day I was with my old brother (20) and his best friend (19) and his friend said "Eminem and Paul Wall are the two top best white rappers we've ever had." and my brother comes back with "I absolutely disagree with that." His friend was pretty confident he was right so my brother had to say "Paul Wall is a joke, how about the beastie boys?" etc, and sat there and spread it all out for his buddy, many details of the beastie boys career, how he's seen their lyrics be stolen by bunk ass rappers, it was satisfying to see.
To be fair I don't think B-Boys lyrics are tech enough to be stolen per se, when they're repeated by "bunk ass rappers" (ie Redman, Xzibit, Weezy) it's generally in homage.

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Carlson

Quote:
this is the first time i have seen paul wall brought up in here. i have recently become a fan of his after ignoring his stuff for so long because of all the pop tunes he does put out. he does have a few decent tracks that kill.

ive noticed that he has brought back that analogy fused rhyme routine that seems to be fading out.

also, i have never been a fan of lil wayne but did anyone agree that the intro, interlude and outro to his latest album featuring bun b, tech nine, nas, and outkast were off the hook?

the king of boggle

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
To be fair I don't think B-Boys lyrics are tech enough to be stolen per se, when they're repeated by "bunk ass rappers" (ie Redman, Xzibit, Weezy) it's generally in homage.
Weezy used the line "Three the hard way" in one of his songs thats all I know for sure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson.213 View Post
this is the first time i have seen paul wall brought up in here. i have recently become a fan of his after ignoring his stuff for so long because of all the pop tunes he does put out. he does have a few decent tracks that kill.

ive noticed that he has brought back that analogy fused rhyme routine that seems to be fading out.

also, i have never been a fan of lil wayne but did anyone agree that the intro, interlude and outro to his latest album featuring bun b, tech nine, nas, and outkast were off the hook?

I just hate waynes rhymes, he alters words to rhyme with the next one, and makes raps that even I could sit down and write and rap (as a drunk ass mofucka) I like Nas and Outkast a lot, Tech n9ne is decent I was a huge fan bout 2 years ago, I like how he is a little harder type music hes an angry fella hahaha. After waynes VMA autotune microphone fake guitar playing act I was just in shock how shitty he sunk right then.

As for Paul Wall, I agree with that last part. Also, I do have respect for white rappers in general, but I personally dont think he's true talent honestly, but I kind of have some faith that he could step it up a little bit, stop with the ghetto rap lines and throw out somethin from the heart type thing.

The kid arguing about Eminem didnt even know what Eminem stood for, that was one of those instantly out of breath hunched over in pain laughs that I got when he said that (I was extremely stoned, but I am a lot so it's not like how it used to be I dont get all stupid and shit) I couldnt help but laugh. He's like family to me though so he didnt get mad.

It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

is a planted seed.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Weezy used the line "Three the hard way" in one of his songs thats all I know for sure of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_the_Hard_Way_(film)

"the next time someone's teaching why don't you get taught"

thank you Adam.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
yeah. on the one hand his skills are undoubted. on the other there is 'just lose it.'

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_the_Hard_Way_(film)

Alrighty then

It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

is a planted seed.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm flowing prose to cons

I finally put on the radio and realized that it was Eminem rapping on that "room full of lighters." Or is it sky? Anyway it was horrid! The song overall was bad with or without him, but I honestly can't see myself ever spending my money on his music because I don't like that god awful club music pop people that he is collaborating with.

My question is, is there any of his songs mainstream on the radio that is just "him" and no collaborations. Just curious.

And to add. Maybe it's not just about him. Maybe it's the fact that everybody has to collaborate with a POP artist to get attention. Look it's no secret I am a pop dance fan but too much of it makes my ears bleed. I like diversity. That's a different subject though.

I wonder what rapper will work with Katy Perry next. Hmmm.

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 10-27-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
I finally put on the radio and realized that it was Eminem rapping on that "room full of lighters." Or is it sky? Anyway it was horrid! The song overall was bad with or without him, but I honestly can't see myself ever spending my money on his music because I don't like that god awful club music pop people that he is collaborating with.

My question is, is there any of his songs mainstream on the radio that is just "him" and no collaborations. Just curious.

And to add. Maybe it's not just about him. Maybe it's the fact that everybody has to collaborate with a POP artist to get attention. Look it's no secret I am a pop dance fan but too much of it makes my ears bleed. I like diversity. That's a different subject though.

I wonder what rapper will work with Katy Perry next. Hmmm.
I know I have heard "Not Afraid" on the radio and through out his career he has had tracks on the radio with only him on them. I like Em but his radio songs are shit. I can think of "Without Me" then "Cleaning out my Closet" and Im sure there is more. I only find 3 of his albums entertaining. Infinite, The Slim Shady LP, and The Marshall Mathers LP.

A Big Mac attack on your gut
and thats wack my friend!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyezonme6198 View Post
I know I have heard "Not Afraid" on the radio and through out his career he has had tracks on the radio with only him on them. I like Em but his radio songs are shit. I can think of "Without Me" then "Cleaning out my Closet" and Im sure there is more. I only find 3 of his albums entertaining. Infinite, The Slim Shady LP, and The Marshall Mathers LP.
Oh okay I remember those. Actually I forgot I did like the song he did with Dido but she wasn't overbearing the way Rihanna and Mars are. I think.... like I said pop music dominates everything and I would really like a seperation every once in awhile.

Beastie Boys went for Santigold I think because she is unique and different. I appreciate that.

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
that's just awesome

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 PM

This is pretty cool. They call it a cypher, it's not really a cypher though, they're all written raps.....anyway all those guys can really rap though. I wish they had changed up the beat once or twice. What is Premier doing in there anyway ? It's just for looks right ? I mean the beat's probably playing off a hard drive or something. That's why Eminem walked up to one of the guys and was like "hold up, don't come in yet," right ? Those guys are all rapping nice though.

As far as Eminem, he is great with the battle raps and the freestyling. He is probably one of the best there is if not the best. Technically. But as far as being a recording artist that raps, and a songwriter....you know what I mean, leaving us with something that's going to stand the test of time, like all great artists, whether they are from jazz or classical or rock or hip hop or whatever.....I mean he has some great songs, but then he does undeniably have a lot of pretty lame shit. Just totally commercial trash. I mean dude is like a multi-millionaire already, he doesn't need the money, so he's just doing it out of greed. It's a sellout. Now that is his prerogative. Some people go work in a corporate office. Eminem, he puts out corporate music. He's willing to do it to make a lot of money. However, if he were really sincere about his art, he wouldn't put this crap out. He'd be overwhelmed by feelings of shame and nausea, which would prevent him from even being able to make that kind of music. I guess it is just that he is just not as much of an artist, and more a technician.

It's not unlike these guitar players like Satriani and Steve Vai and Eric Johnson, or any musician that is really known for just ripping on their instrument. But then they really don't have any really good songs. And their fans are all guitar players. The whole battling/freestyling thing is kind of like that. Kinda one dimensional. Don't get me wrong I have respect for the skill and ability, but I can never appreciate that sort of thing as much as something like Stevie Wonder, or the Beatles, or....well I don't want to drop names all day...

Last edited by 3stooges : 10-29-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
What is Premier doing in there anyway ? It's just for looks right ?
He's DJ Premier. He can be anywhere he fucking wants to be!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Smart

Cypher (cipher) means 0 which = a circle. As a result cypher is used in hip-hop to describe a "circle" or small group of heads sharing knowledge, thoughts or just plain old technical MCing skills.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Cypher (cipher) means 0 which = a circle. As a result cypher is used in hip-hop to describe a "circle" or small group of heads sharing knowledge, thoughts or just plain old technical MCing skills.
Well the Eminem thing, I guess they can call it a cypher, but to me it's not. It's a performance. It's written and rehearsed, and they all wrote everything separately, instead of building as a group.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Well the Eminem thing, I guess they can call it a cypher, but to me it's not. It's a performance. It's written and rehearsed, and they all wrote everything separately, instead of building as a group.
None of the things you mentioned have any bearing whatsoever on what is and isn't a cypher.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
None of the things you mentioned have any bearing whatsoever on what is and isn't a cypher.
Heh, you sound like you're referencing some official rule book or something. I'm just going off my experience. We'll leave it at that, you have your take I have mine.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 PM

It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

A Freestyle is kicking rhymes off the top of your head, not rehearsed or previously written.

A Cypher contains people kicking rhymes. They can be previously written, freestyle, or using parts of other peoples rhymes. It's just everyone participating rhyming for fun.

I'm not sure how you can't understand it...
Old 11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
technically insane

Quote:
It's a funny thought that responsible parenting will include teaching one's kids about good hip-hop.
any parent who gets their kids into hip hope must be crazy, especially if they have girls.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

A Freestyle is kicking rhymes off the top of your head, not rehearsed or previously written.

A Cypher contains people kicking rhymes. They can be previously written, freestyle, or using parts of other peoples rhymes. It's just everyone participating rhyming for fun.

I'm not sure how you can't understand it...
you are just a sweetie aren't you!

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasties#1fan View Post
you are just a sweetie aren't you!
Cheers!