Old 06-05-2009, 02:55 PM
same old

Default The police stole my car

Not quite as exciting as it sounds, but I just learned the hard way that you are legally required to move your car every seven days if it's parked on a public street, or else risk having your car towed away without warning.

I parked my car on the street, across from my apartment building. It was parked in front of a house. There weren't any signs or markings or anything indicating that you can't park there. People park up and down that street all the time!

I hadn't been using my car in a couple of weeks, but it was legally registered, insured, and everything was up to date and on code. I always checked it nearly every day for tickets, too. I don't see what the problem was.

Then, one evening as my boyfriend and I were leaving, we noticed that it was gone. We thought it had been stolen. We called the police and they said that an officer had towed it teh evening prior (I guess I didn't notice that it wasn't there that morning as I left for work, still groggy I suppose) because he or she had assumed it had been abandoned.

Down at the police station the desk lady told me that the owner of the house in front of which I'd been parked had called the cops and said there was an abandoned vehicle in front of her house. So, apparently without investigation, the officer towed it. That's when she informed me about that 7-day parking rule. She even seemed surprised that I didn't get a ticket warning me than they would tow it, giving me a day or two to move it.

I had to pay for the release from the police station, and then to get it out of the towing place the next day. Altogether it was $150 dollars. And I couldn't contest it because the PD's only option for contesting these things is that you can contest a ticket within 12 hours of getting it. I didn't even get a ticket in the first place, I got no warning at all. And they weren't even going to send me notice that the car had been towed after the fact, either. How is that not stealing my car?

I was so peeved, mostly at the police officer, also kind of at the person who called the cops. I bet they had friends at the police station.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Monkey News

Default Re: The police stole my car

i find it incredibly rude to park your car in front of someone else's house
Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
not punk enough

Wow, that sucks. Sorry. I've left my car in the same place on a street for four months before - just not needed to use it. I use my car about once a fortnight so I am glad we don't have that in the UK.

You should break $150's worth of stuff of the person who called the cops - self-karma
Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM
not punk enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBerglar View Post
i find it incredibly rude to park your car in front of someone else's house
She said she lived in a apartment.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Swollen Member

word to the terd. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.peachy View Post
Is she tug-job fodder for your average 22 year old? No, probably not, but so what?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
good reactions, etc?

firebomb your neighbor's house
Old 06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
same old

I wasn't blocking the person's driveway or walkway or anything. Other people park in front of their house, just not for such long periods of time. Obviously they got tired of looking at my car. I think I should park it there again, and move it only every 7 days, about 5 feet, then move it back.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 PM
utter nonsense.

Yeah. I was out of work in Chicago for a month or two. I had to keep moving my car to different spots...I ended up making up reasons to drive places just so I could park somewhere slightly different.

reality is a shit of a thing

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 PM
The Dude minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzolese View Post
I wasn't blocking the person's driveway or walkway or anything. Other people park in front of their house, just not for such long periods of time. Obviously they got tired of looking at my car. I think I should park it there again, and move it only every 7 days, about 5 feet, then move it back.

I shove dog shit under the car door handle of people like you.

Got 99 problems and they all bitches

Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
same old

Well that's pretty rude I think.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Monkey News

what if THEY need to put THEIR car in front of THEIR house
Old 06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
The Dude minds

You park your car in front of their house because you probably feel like it's in a safe place, a residential street where people are around and vandilism is less likely.
It's not parked in some dimly lit, desolate parking lot where it's likely to be stolen or fucked with.

Meanwhile, the person's home you're parked in front of now can't park their own car there and enjoy the benefit of having their car in a residential area.
You're forcing them to park in the dimly lit parking lot down the street.

Also, coming home with a car full of groceries and having to park down the street and lug the groceries down the block can be pretty annoying.

You really can't get much more self-centered.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 PM
say whaaa?

^ Um:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzolese View Post
I wasn't blocking the person's driveway or walkway or anything.
If the street's not their private property and there's not a "no parking sign" I don't see the problem.

you gotta taste this soup

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoney$ View Post
I shove dog shit under the car door handle of people like you.
perhaps some sort of note would be more effective?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
How It Is

Duran Duran stole my bike
Old 06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
The Dude minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
perhaps some sort of note would be more effective?

Which would get your attention more?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

parking your car in front of one of your neighbor's houses is one of my pet peeves

I think it was understandable to call the police, but no warning and no research into the ownership of the car sucks.

Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to be one

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoney$ View Post
Which would get your attention more?
they would both get my attention, but only the note would explain your grievance and it would be more likely to cause me to move my car

i mean, you make a very reasonable point about why parking in front of a person's house is a dickish thing to do, but all of those points are lost in translation when you choose to express it by smearing shit under the door handle.

like if you said "hey, do you mind not parking your car in front of my house, it forces me to park in a bad neighborhood" or something but the person just said "lol fuck you gaydick i'll park where i want" then alright yeah, do whatever you want, but immediately resorting to the dog poo, i dunno it doesn't seem like it would do anything
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 AM
just here for the .gifs

ha, holy shit, there's so many assumptions in this thread.

that sucks about your car, nuzz. you should smear poop on the people who called the police.

ah, I understand that having a car parked in front of your house is kinda weird if you're in the suburbs. I forgot what that was like because in the city everyone parks on the street in front of each other's houses. hardly anybody has a driveway. where I used to live, I didn't drive my car for months and it was parked on the street. my steering was fucked up and the car was an overall piece of shit, so I was going to donate it and have it towed, but I couldn't find my title and kept putting it off. one day, someone stole one of my tires. I noticed it, but I was on my way to work and couldn't do anything about it. when I got home, the car was gone. the city took it. it woulda cost like 700 bucks to get it back. so I just gave it to the city. I took the time to officially relinquish ownership, of course, which negated all the tickets I would've gotten. so everything turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Is this fun yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Duran Duran stole my bike
Ha, awesome.

Nuzz, will you tow my heart please?

Quote:
...is watching the live feed, waiting for the first Chilean miner to reach the surface, wild-eyed and consumed by bloodthirst, as the rescue team unknowingly brings the zombie virus- and it's first 34 carriers- to an unsuspecting world.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
street legal

Agreed w/DW. Around here it's a free for all, you just park where you can find a spot. It's a matter of course that you may not be able to park in front of your house. In fact, in some neighborhoods if you find a spot within two blocks of your house you can count yourself lucky.

Also around here you can only park for 3 days at a time before you are vulnerable to being towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
wake me up before jabumbo
jabumbohemian rhapsody
lolkats the way ah-ah-ah-ah i like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickill View Post
Eyes Without A Faz
Bob-A O'Riley
If Looks Could kll

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
same old

There is a very small parking lot for my apartment building and usually it's full. I thought I would do the nice thing for my apartment neighbors by not taking one of those spaces since I wasn't driving very often. As for the street, everyone who parks there has to park in front of someone's house. There's nowhere else to park, legally.

Be that as it may, I see where my supporters are and I've got you would-be condemners in my book.

Last edited by Nuzzolese : 06-08-2009 at 09:37 AM.