Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Beastie-Free General Discussion

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Current Member

Default Re: The new Hollywood 'romance' is Pro-Life

I was just saying, the happy ending is a Hollywood device. And you can include pro-life sentiments in that happy ending. If Hollywood abandoned most of its conventions, movies would be 20 minutes long or depressing. Cheers for your thoughts, all.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
I was just saying, the happy ending is a Hollywood device. And you can include pro-life sentiments in that happy ending. If Hollywood abandoned most of its conventions, movies would be 20 minutes long or depressing. Cheers for your thoughts, all.
see though, the fact that happy endings don't involve abortions doesn't make them pro-life. it's simply acknowledging the fact that abortions aren't happy affairs. i think you'd be hard-pressed to find a pro-choice person that would disagree with that. i mean i'm young, i'm innocent, maybe i don't know much, but i'd think that about 90% of the people that get abortions, at least, probably aren't happy about it. they obviously aren't pro-life because if they were they wouldn't be getting abortions
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Unexplained, Myths & More

Eraserhead's wife didn't even get an abortion. She left the little alien baby crying in his apartment.

James Brown had a Gulliver head on a Liliputian body & that is why he drank Bacardi.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
see though, the fact that happy endings don't involve abortions doesn't make them pro-life. it's simply acknowledging the fact that abortions aren't happy affairs. i think you'd be hard-pressed to find a pro-choice person that would disagree with that. i mean i'm young, i'm innocent, maybe i don't know much, but i'd think that about 90% of the people that get abortions, at least, probably aren't happy about it. they obviously aren't pro-life because if they were they wouldn't be getting abortions
Saving a kid a miserable life with people who don't want it, people being stuck with kids they didn't want, the ability to avoid these things equals a real-life happy ending. Not that people celebrate it. But making the choice for long-term happiness isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if it's a somber decision to make.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:24 AM
so

obviously hollywood can't cope with something as emtionally involved as a woman considering an abortion and nor can its audiences. it makes the studios very uncomfortable and they're just too scared with what would happen.

the abortion debate is an issue that divides america tho, so it's hardly surprising.

i don't consider high fidelity a hollywood movie. it probably had american funding tho, but the book was british and so was the director. i can't think of any american movie that has dealt with the issue... apart from eraserhead, but that's hardly mainstream!

have you seen vera drake kp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefz
But if you think lack of abortions in films reflects some sort of pro-life sentiment in Hollywood and a strictly business mentality,
you're mad.
really? perhaps it's difficult to prove the first part of your statement, but the second is obvious.

we just had abortion aired in an episode of Skins, a mainstream teen drama. the girl got the abortion in the end. it's an important issue that millions of young women have to deal with so hiding it away is a bit unrealistic.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Ahead

Since when has Hollywood's goal been realism? Or even responsibility?

All I'm saying is they go where the money is, but that doesn't necessarily reflect personal beliefs. Hollywood is an overwhelmingly
liberal industry, except it's largely run by people who are truly in it as a business, not an art form, and not as a social platform.

I think some folks misread my statements as if I think this is right.

God -- just try to make an overtly pro-life movie and see how fast your script is tossed in the bin. These movies have a very
romantic, crowd-pleasing way about them, because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

Last edited by abcdefz : 04-26-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Fire!

"I'm just saying - Hold on, Jay, cover your ears - you should get a shmashmortion at the shmashmortion clinic."

I thought Knocked Up wisely steered clear of the politically loaded nature of the content. A lesser filmmaker probably would have turned it into a message movie. And theres nothing worse than a fucking message movie.

Licking my lips, I pulled out his (also 13") cock. And in mid-blow, as I read the latest neo-feminist screed on Jezebel, I said to myself, "Oh god" -- both reacting to the size of his massive cock and the total injustices faced by women today.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
just here for the .gifs

The premise of Knocked Up is ridiculous. especially the part about them falling in love. but it was very sweet and entertaining to watch.

I can't speak for Juno really, because it was a movie about a pregnant teenager and it wouldn't be a movie if she'd gotten an abortion.

Both of these characters had pretty solid support systems in which a child could be raised without much struggle (beyond the emotional). They chose to have the babies...and I don't think it's outrageous that they did.

I am pro-choice, but I think abortion should be avoided. and as far as hollywood being pro-life...I can agree that it may be a trend right now, but that always happens. movies with similar themes come out around the same time, dunno if it's a collective consciousness thing, or a studio competition thing, or what, but it's quite common.

also, Dirty Dancing has an abortion in it and everybody loves that movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Ahead

^

Ugh = Dirty Dancing.

But even still: the abortion (if I remember right) is still a sad circumstance. Isn't it about the stigma of unwed mothers, etc.? Like it
was an abortion out of shame? Plus it was a minor character.

But I may be remembering it wrong.

KP wants a remorseless, just-for-convenience abortion in a movie (or TV), and I don't think you'll soon see a character who is supposed
to be sympathetic get one.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
The premise of Knocked Up is ridiculous.
What, an irresponsible adult doesn't use a condom and gets somebody pregnant? I guess the part about them falling in love is a little ridiculous.

Licking my lips, I pulled out his (also 13") cock. And in mid-blow, as I read the latest neo-feminist screed on Jezebel, I said to myself, "Oh god" -- both reacting to the size of his massive cock and the total injustices faced by women today.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
just here for the .gifs

az, I don't actually know. I just remember watching it at my very christian friend's bachelorette party and at the abortion part, she goes, "see, that's why you don't have sex before marriage!" I think I choked a little on my non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiri.

as for the premise of Knocked Up, I guess I didn't mean the pregnancy part, I meant the falling in love with a stranger you don't even get along with after about 4 months is ridiculous. although I'm in love with Seth Rogen. and it's still weird to me that my favorite character from Freaks and Geeks is now super famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefz View Post
KP wants a remorseless, just-for-convenience abortion in a movie (or TV), and I don't think you'll soon see a character who is supposed
to be sympathetic get one.
I haven't said anything of the sort. I've intentionally tried to stop my point short at "Hollywood is one pro-life Motherfucker" because that's all I see. You connected my observation to that, so that's on you.

Anything else I've said has been for the sake of discussion; what I mentioned to Bob was all hypothetical. I never said "We need a remorseless abortion ASAP". It was just an observation, and observing Hollywood's conventional trappings in action is nothing like suggesting alternatives for them.

Shout at the Devil!