Old 04-02-2020, 11:37 AM

Default What Else Needs a Reissue?

Now that all of the albums have been recently reissued - even the pretty surprisingly reissue of Root Down - what else do you think could use a reissue/remaster? Would it come with some swank-ass packaging?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: What Else Needs a Reissue?

A proper live album! There are a few shitty bootlegs out there and even a current one of just their tv performances. It would be nice to have a best of live or full show.

They could really do a better job reissuing LTI on the marketing end.
Add a whole bunch of rare pics, maybe reissue those picture/shaped discs, really remaster the songs, although everyone says it doesn't really need it.
Add a whole bunch of extra or rare songs *cough*desperado*cough*

Other than that, I can't think of any album they haven't reissued yet. The 2009 reissues of HN, CYH, and IC were all pretty decent.
Maybe Aglio E Olio? Some Old Bullshit would for sure sell, add in the rare tracks from the Australian and Japanese releases, ie. Soba violence, Light my fire.
I only have the Australian Lathe pressing and it sounds terrible, so a nice clean version of Light my fire would be great.
Maybe combining all their hardcore into one album like the Minor Threat discography.

They could also do another type of in sound from way out compilation featuring mix up tracks and the b-sides from that era that were in the AIFST movie and only available as iTunes exclusives.

Same can go with their rock / alternative songs, they could release a complication like that.

On the topic, I mentioned this before in another thread but it never got any traction, and since we all have a lot of time on our hands.

Of the studio albums, which release is the best in terms of sound quality?

From my own collection I would say

LTI - 2000 Def Jam reissue
PB - The current violet/purple coloured vinyl 2019 remaster reissue. Up until this point it was the 1998 Grand Royal Reissue, but having the remaster on double vinyl can't be beat.
CYH, IC, HN - 2009 reissues
TT5B, Mix-UP, HSC don't really need a reissue, I haven't heard the news ones yet.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 PM

I totally agree about Aglio e Olio. This being the 25th anniversary... who knows? And yeah, I remember getting the 7" lathe version and being so stoked to hear it, not really knowing much about lathe cut records. Man was I disappointed.

I also thought it could be cool to release a 7" series: one song from each full length album with one b-side off that album even if they couldn't do LTI for licensing reasons (Shadrach / Caught in the Middle of a 3-Way Mix, Pass the Mic / Dub the Mic, Root Down / The Vibes, etc.) Like a mini-anthology that could also be a neat collector's item.

As for your sound quality rankings, I think I agree. I don't have a great ear for that stuff so I really can't tell the difference most of the time. Obviously as new remaster might sound better because it's less beat up than my old copy (talking just about vinyl records here). But the recent purple PB reissue is noticeably better to me. I've listened to it a few times, but just last week I put it on and turned it way up and felt like I was listening to certain songs for the first time.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 PM
ps I love you

Didn't Mario C say in an interview a few years ago that there were more unreleased tracks which haven't come out yet? I'd like more of that stuff. I love listening to the massive outtake collections by bands like The Beatles where it's just them jamming or playing little beats.

I'm not too bothered about re-issues and remastered versions of stuff I already have, but I'm always happy to listen to new stuff.

A Hello Nasty sessions box set would be my ultimate dream. It seems weird that the original version of Intergalactic never got reissued outside of that floppy disk.

It's a Lion....YEA!

Old 04-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Arrow Re: What Else Needs a Reissue?

I would personally love to see some instrumentals of the albums get released, or maybe just singles. They could reissue the singles from the CYH era but beef them up with a second record of instrumentals and a capellas of the featured tracks.

Really, all of those Check Your Head "maxis" were dope. They have a lot of little extras that make them feel more like EPs than singles. The Shadrach single would also be dope, and that's in a similar vein. The Ill Communication singles could also use some love but in my opinion these weren't quite as good. They started getting more into remixes than B-sides and sketches.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:31 PM
to the top

I would like a better anniversary version of CYH in 2022. Like one with shit from the vault we’ve never heard before. The messin’ around stuff, any tracks that they felt weren’t up to snuff, goofing around in studio, etc.
Similar to the bonus Hello Nasty version they did in 2009. Love that!
Maybe one with a booklet of new photos from era. Behind the scenes content.