Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Default Re: The Vault Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan11 View Post
I didn't notice any elaborate camera set up at The Mix Up show I attended. Does anyone remember them filming any of their shows during that tour?
I attended the State Theater (now The Fillmore) show in Detroit. From what I recall, there wasn't a huge elaborate set up but there were more than a few people with all access passes running around with Hi8 cameras.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:59 AM

That "Argument" collab w/Biz that they talked about on Yo! MTV Raps. IIRC they said they're "gonna" do that one, so perhaps it never happened.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 12-04-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
i think the idea of an actual physical "vault" is merely just a metaphor for the sum of their unreleased material. i doubt an actual vault exists. perhaps a few storage spaces, if anything.

on a sidenote, i do remember them mentioning at one point that they have a space of unreleased material that they unfondly referred to as the "crap factory".

and lastly, for the record, my initial reference to HSC pt.1 was in regards to the 2nd album's worth of material they had mentioned during the time of pt. 2's release. i dont think it is any mystery that there was another LP in the pipeline; thought they addressed that on more than one occassion, i.e. the 'showering fans with mp3s' interview. and dont forget the bob dylan sample from his radio show and mike's fart spray cologne. kinda shocked that this topic is still being debated.
Oh I agree, I always just assumed 'vault' was accepted terminology for referencing unreleased material / projects. Though that would be cool though, I wonder if either Mike or Adam ever trifle through the Crap Factory from time to time.

And yes that's what I thought (in regards to the existence of another albums worth of material). It seemed crystal clear from said interview with Mike, and the Bob Dylan thing sounded very Beastie-plausible. I didn't mean to relaunch the debate, I'm just wary that the albums existence has always seemed to be inexplicably questioned.

edit: On another note, do you think any of the HSC 2009 editions were actually printed? I'd like to think there are a few promo copies knocking about with the original mix / track-listing, but then I also think something would have surfaced or leaked by now. It remains quite the curio worth owning / hearing for me.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 12-04-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
You're wrong.

*Tracklisting*
1. Tadlock’s Glasses
2. B-Boys In The Cut
3. Make Some Noise
4. Nonstop Disco Powerpack
5. OK
6. Too Many Rappers (featuring NAS)
7. Say It
8. The Bill Harper Collection
9. Don’t Play No Game That I Can’t Win (featuring Santigold)
10. Long Burn The Fire
11. Bundt Cake
12. Funky Donkey
13. Lee Majors Come Again
14. Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament
15. Pop Your Balloon
16. Crazy Ass Shit
17. Here’s A Little Something For Ya
I think you pretty much proved my point there. I don't think the BBoys previously stated idea of a 2 part album involved releasing the same material twice. Maybe it would be better for you to say "Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 Version 1 exists"

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Last edited by Brass Monk : 12-04-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
I think you pretty much proved my point there. I don't think the BBoys previously stated idea of a 2 part album involved releasing the same material twice. Maybe it would be better for you to say "Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 Version 1 exists"
Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 exists. It had cover art, it was played to music journalists to review, given to artists to listen to remix (Diplo, Z-Trip, Switch, etc), they were ready to tour, and had a planned release date of September 15, 2009.

The original plan was to release the album in two parts. Then the plan changed when Yauch got sick and they delayed release date. Later they decided to have Philippe Zdar remix the songs from Part 1 and call it Part 2.

My point is there is a version of Part 1 that exists without the mix of Zdar. It's real and living on people's hard drives. It might be the same songs, but it sounds sonically different.

Why hasn't it been leaked? Maybe the few people that have it haven't shared it out of respect for Yauch? I'm sure the Dust Brothers and Mario C are holding onto Beastie treasures as well. The band disbanded tragically. No one wants to be "that guy" and leak their music without permission just to be selfish.

My two cents.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM

^^^

Quote:

Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
edit: On another note, do you think any of the HSC 2009 editions were actually printed? I'd like to think there are a few promo copies knocking about with the original mix / track-listing, but then I also think something would have surfaced or leaked by now. It remains quite the curio worth owning / hearing for me.
Quote:
My point is there is a version of Part 1 that exists without the mix of Zdar. It's real and living on people's hard drives. It might be the same songs, but it sounds sonically different.
The first version, as previously stated, was the mixdown the beasties had done themselves. If you recall the original mixes of Too Many Rappers, Lee Majors Come Again, and even Pop Your Balloon, they sounded pretty awful by comparison. Lee Majors was a gritty track in general, so that one wasnt as much of an issue either way. While the Zdar mixes aren't necessarily mind-blowing by any means (still prefer Mario's sound), the contrast between the 1st and 2nd mixdown are night and day. I guess its a matter of opinion, but im certainly not dying to hear (what i like to call) the "rough mix" edition.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-04-2014, 10:17 AM

I like to call Part 1 the "original mix".

Zdar's redlining overblown mix is tough to handle at times. And that's why HSCP2 gets the least amount of spins from me in their catalog.

And that's why they make chocolate and vanilla Pudding Pops.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Time for my semi-annual post....

I'm not debating anyone's post because this is obviously a fun and opinion-driven thread; just adding my two cents.

It's always interesting when "lost" recordings or unreleased recordings are let loose, like when the Paul's Boutique demos became more wide spread. But there's also something nice about knowing that something unreleased exists and never hearing it.

Firstly, unreleased material lets the artist keep a little something for himself. A lot of us grew up on the Beasties and have a deep connection to a lot of their work. But just imagine how they feel. They made that shit. Who knows, but maybe Mike and Adam occasionally listen to some bullshit studio tapes and get to have a piece of their history back that no one else has heard (besides Mario maybe). It's like whispering to yourself from the past.

Then there's what I think of as the anti-Richard Branson effect. I've got no problems with the guy, other than that he bought an uninhabited Island and built a resort for himself on it. I dunno why that bothers me so much. I just think it's great that there is mystery in this world, and sometimes (*sometimes*) it's nice to leave it be and just wonder about it. I can't even imagine how much cool shit has never been released by the b-boys. But as long as it's never released, it's still super cool shit - it never becomes a "crap factory" as the boys call it themselves.

Finally, I think music was a little different back then. Albums were.... like.... things. There were b-sides, but there wasn't this unrelenting torrent of remixing and special releases and instant access to shit. The Beastie Boys have a canon. They have an audio legacy. Leaks are nice sometimes, but too much can sort of dilute it. I love Car Thief, and the demos are cool too, but it does kind of take away from the "official" version when you hear multiple demos. It's like "Oh, that line was just kind of recycled a few times." When all you have is the PB album version, it's like... whoa.... this is some unique shit.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Switching gears, I secretly suspect there is some sort of secret submarine recording DAT tape floating around somewhere. It would be pretty Beastie-esque to actually made a submarine album, then say they made it, then never release it. Everyone would be like "Ha ha, very funny. The ol' we made a submarine album gag huh?" No one would take it seriously, and they'd be laughing at all of us, just like they did in every interview they ever gave. THAT.... would be some cool shit.

Last edited by tuc70021 : 12-04-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Edited to fix Richard Branson's name. Probably a shit load of typos still in there.... so ya know.....
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The first version, as previously stated, was the mixdown the beasties had done themselves. If you recall the original mixes of Too Many Rappers, Lee Majors Come Again, and even Pop Your Balloon, they sounded pretty awful by comparison. Lee Majors was a gritty track in general, so that one wasnt as much of an issue either way. While the Zdar mixes aren't necessarily mind-blowing by any means (still prefer Mario's sound), the contrast between the 1st and 2nd mixdown are night and day. I guess its a matter of opinion, but im certainly not dying to hear (what i like to call) the "rough mix" edition.
Definitely a matter of opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the final mix, though I have little to compare it to. I had no problem with the 2009 songs which were released though, there was an eerie lo-fi quality to them and a nice off-kilter reverb. I don't think Zdar has particularly butchered anything - for most of the songs it is impossible to say, as mentioned - aside from Lee Majors which sounds ridiculous, but I would like to reserve my opinion of contrast until the original surfaces in all it's (probable) glory.

I have to appreciate maybe hard copies were never pressed. The early 'reviews' were probably listening sessions under tight controls. I read a few reviews of TT5B which referred to a room of chairs, separate headphones, and bag/body searches before entering and before leaving. Mental.

Quote:

Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I have to appreciate maybe hard copies were never pressed. The early 'reviews' were probably listening sessions under tight controls. I read a few reviews of TT5B which referred to a room of chairs, separate headphones, and bag/body searches before entering and before leaving. Mental.
For TT5B listening sessions for reviewers they had 6 to 10 Apple iMacs (the bubble joints) with the album on it on a table with chairs and headphones. They tried their hardest to prevent leaks. For HSCP1 they pretty much did the same but the reviewer had to listen to the record on a iPod in the room with a Capital staffer. Crazy pills.

Diplo, Z-Trip and other DJs/remixers either got the entire album (HSCP1) sent to them digital or on a burned cd. They got a early peak of the record to see what songs they would be interested in remixing. (Just a little info I got from one of my DJ/remixer pals that was asked to do a remix).
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 AM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

The Gala Show filmed at the Riviera in Chicago....

The Mix Up Part 2 with guest vocalists singing over the The Mix Up instrumentals featuring Jarvis Cocker, MIA and Snoop Dogg....

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 12-06-2014, 10:06 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
The Mix Up Part 2 with guest vocalists singing over the The Mix Up instrumentals featuring Jarvis Cocker, MIA and Snoop Dogg....
thats a great one

Old 12-06-2014, 04:46 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
The Gala Show filmed at the Riviera in Chicago....

Damn I can't believe I forgot that one.

I'd love to see more alternate takes like That's It That's All with the peppermint schnapps lyrics or Professor Booty with the Serch for your dick lyrics.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Hero

Quote:
Oh I agree, I always just assumed 'vault' was accepted terminology for referencing unreleased material / projects. Though that would be cool though, I wonder if either Mike or Adam ever trifle through the Crap Factory from time to time.

And yes that's what I thought (in regards to the existence of another albums worth of material). It seemed crystal clear from said interview with Mike, and the Bob Dylan thing sounded very Beastie-plausible. I didn't mean to relaunch the debate, I'm just wary that the albums existence has always seemed to be inexplicably questioned.

Fyi.....the whole "vault" terminology came about because the BBoys themselves talked about releasing some Unreleased stuff in an email back in the day. It was in the HN era.

I always kinda assumed that most of that stuff was what they included on the HN reissue.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 12-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Phone your mom or dad!

Quote:
thats a great one
That's one I never really believed. I'm pretty sure it was a joke because there are no vocals on the Mix Up and some people didn't like that fact.
I'd love to be proven wrong but those songs don't seem like they should have vocals and besides don't you think at least a few of those artists would have mentioned something about it by now?

I DON'T WEAR CROCS
AND I DON'T WEAR SANDLES
I GOT THE CUSTOM MADE BOOTS
WITH THE SPIKY THINGS

Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Current Member

MIA mentioned she did something on Rat Cage.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 AM
crazy sniffable

yeah, im fairly certain the bboys said they had in fact sent the tracks over to said artists. maybe they didnt care for what was sent back, or maybe they just didnt get much of a response.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:34 AM

I think it was just a fleeting idea that got squashed. The Mix-Up didn't do well with critics or sales. Maybe Capital killed it? Maybe they were in a groove and just wanted to work on new shit?

M.I.A. said to the press "that the Beastie Boys have asked her to adds vocals to "Freaky Hijiki," but that she likes "The Rat Cage" instead. She also shared that she does not know yet what she will be doing with the song--just laying down vocals and/or remixing the song too."

And I never heard about anything from the other artists that were name dropped for the project.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:45 AM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post

........or Professor Booty with the Serch for your dick lyrics.
I have never heard of this....

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Don't know if ever actually got released but there is that version of 3 MC's an 1 DJ from the infomercial with the Snoop sample. What ever happened to that?

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 12-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Don't know if ever actually got released but there is that version of 3 MC's an 1 DJ from the infomercial with the Snoop sample. What ever happened to that?
Sample couldn't get cleared in time I believe. The instrumental on the show vinyl tho.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
I have never heard of this....
i don't think it's rare, i def heard it somewhere. wish i remember where but I heard it. People here def must have heard it before, maybe cj hood or porkys or whoever…. actually the more i think of it the more i'm doubting myself.

I'm almost certain i heard this.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
I think it was just a little snippet that MMM used and cuts up. the beastieography segment on hello nasty has the snoop sample when they preview the song for like half a second.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:00 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
That can be found here:

http://www.beastiemixes.com/rare.php

As far the alternate Professor Booty verse, I have no idea where to find that.

-Busta Rhymes

Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
That can be found here:

http://www.beastiemixes.com/rare.php

As far the alternate Professor Booty verse, I have no idea where to find that.
It's on the double check your head EP max tannone did when the cyh remaster was released. His skills to pay the bills mix also has an extra verse.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The Mix-Up didn't do well with critics or sales.
The sales part is totally true, but to say it didn't do too well with the critics is not quite accurate. It did win a Grammy after all so the right people liked it.

Last edited by MrSmiley1 : 12-08-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 AM
repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmiley1 View Post
I did win a Grammy after all
Congratulations on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some korean pirate View Post
13 multilateral atomic arms reduction.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
Congratulations on that.

Ha! Dammit. Too early in the morning
Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
i don't think it's rare, i def heard it somewhere. wish i remember where but I heard it. People here def must have heard it before, maybe cj hood or porkys or whoever…. actually the more i think of it the more i'm doubting myself.

I'm almost certain i heard this.
There's elements of it on Doublecheck Your Head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znh9Mflc9HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
It's on the double check your head EP max tannone did when the cyh remaster was released. His skills to pay the bills mix also has an extra verse.
Oops, what Rodie said.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA