Old 04-21-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Check Your Head turns 30

“Apple Music has blocked out a whole day of shows, including a special episode of #TheEchoChamber with Mike D, Adrock, Mario C and Money Mark.”

i remember CYH dropping vividly. it came out a couple months before i graduated high school. i remember catching the Pass the Mic vid for the first time on Dee Barnes Pump it Up show and checking out the G-Son for the first time.

crazy it’s been 30 years right? where does CYH rank on your album ratings? I think it’s a close second after Paul’s for me.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Check Your Head turns 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
“Apple Music has blocked out a whole day of shows, including a special episode of #TheEchoChamber with Mike D, Adrock, Mario C and Money Mark.”

i remember CYH dropping vividly. it came out a couple months before i graduated high school. i remember catching the Pass the Mic vid for the first time on Dee Barnes Pump it Up show and checking out the G-Son for the first time.

crazy it’s been 30 years right? where does CYH rank on your album ratings? I think it’s a close second after Paul’s for me.
Yep
A close second for me too

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 AM

I became a fan with Hello Nasty and the Anthology. So I knew what to expect with eclectic sounds and stuff, but I was still kinda blown away by CYH when I got it. It’s just grown on me more and more over the years. For me it’s #1. From their “mixtape album” years (CYH/IC/HN) it feels like the most cohesive and consistent, and it doesn’t hurt that it has some all time great Beastie Boys songs on it. So What’cha Want and Pass the Mic alone almost carry it, but the rest stands on its own too.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 04-21-2022, 03:04 PM

I have been waiting for the 30th anniversary to share some stuff.

The original LP sequence before it was changed, instrumental versions, the most complete set of live versions for each song, and more. It is all available to listen to for free here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tie+collection

There are 665 live tracks sequenced from first to last live performance for every song on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+live+revisted
Old 04-22-2022, 07:43 AM
Current Member

Total life defining album.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-22-2022, 01:20 PM
crazy sniffable

If/when anybody might have some of this programming ripped, I'm sure many folks would love to get their hands on it. myself numbered among them.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 04-22-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
If/when anybody might have some of this programming ripped, I'm sure many folks would love to get their hands on it. myself numbered among them.
Email me. I am not certain what you are looking for, but I am certain I can help you find it.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:26 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

I tuned in to a decent chunk of the day. It was great hearing Mike and Adam shoot the shit and just hang out. No news or teasers about anything in the works that I heard.

The Mario and $Mark segment was pretty short and was hoping for more.

I also listened to Jim Shearer’s deep dive on CYH. Loved him getting into the weeds on this album. Feel I like should have earned some college credit with the podcast.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 04-23-2022, 09:29 AM
shaZam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
I tuned in to a decent chunk of the day. It was great hearing Mike and Adam shoot the shit and just hang out. No news or teasers about anything in the works that I heard.

The Mario and $Mark segment was pretty short and was hoping for more.
I'd love to hear this, if anyone can share it on here would be great!

Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
Yeah, funky bilingual
Latin lingo baby funky bilingual funky bilingual
It's the latin lingo!

Old 04-23-2022, 10:21 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
I have been waiting for the 30th anniversary to share some stuff.

The original LP sequence before it was changed

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tie+collection
Wow! For those of you who haven't checked it out yet, make sure you do, not only is the sequencing different, the mixes are different too, there also there is a skit I've never heard before and what sounds like a different part of the phone message from the Professor Booty intro.

I know that So'What'Cha Want was one of the last songs they wrote for the album, but I didn't know that they almost released the album without it altogether. I wonder what the impact of the album and their career would have been if they released Check Your Head without So'What'Cha Want and the accompanying video.

Notes from Beastiemania:

"This recording is an early version of Check Your Head which does not include Finger Lickin' Good or So What'cha Want. There is one additional track that was not included on the final album. The album sequencing is different, and several of the tracks have a different title, mix, or audio."

I noticed the speed and pitch seemed a little slower on some songs and would fluctuate.

@bigfatlove06 do you have a higher quality version of this recording? Was that how the pitch was on the tape or did you change it for the video? Do you mind sharing how you got your hands on this?
Old 04-23-2022, 10:22 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
I became a fan with Hello Nasty and the Anthology. .
Same here
Old 04-26-2022, 02:51 AM

If I had to pick my favorite album of theirs, that would be it. It kinda defines for me the best of what they do. Mixing all the different styles together on one album, but nothing feels out of place. Mixing styles within songs, and within the album. I think a very important album as far as influencing other artists and the way they looked at styles of music and eliminating the boundaries between them. With CYH they stepped right to the forefront of what was happening in music at that time. Open minded, and leading the way for those who rocked like that. A creative spirit which we see in other artists, evolving and growing up through the present day.