Old 10-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Default Boogie Nights connection

I apologize if this has been mentioned before. I've seen Boogie Nights a handful of times (so I may have even noticed this last time), but it's been close to a decade since I last watched it. It popped up on Netflix, so I watched it late last night.

At 59ish minutes into Boogie Night, during the night club scene Derk Diggler is wearing Mike D's Hey Ladies outfit (minus the straw hat and butt padding). And they are dancing to one of the main sample sources from Hey Ladies as well.

I dunno. Kind of cool.

p.s. is there not a way to add images to posts? I feel liek Ive done this in the past. I took screen caps in case anybody was too lazy to just watch it for themselves.

message board

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Boogie Nights connection

you can only put links to photos here, embedding only allowed in sure shots

post your pix!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:59 PM
there it is

good lookin
Old 10-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I am your Fodder

Beastie Boys / 2:55

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2m55s&v=Naf5uJYGoiU

Boogie Nights / 1:37

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9siMXbuc5o&t=1m37s

🚂SOUL-TRAIN🚂

Old 10-05-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Menace View Post
Pretty much!

message board

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Hell yes! I remember sitting in the theater the first time watching this and my friend and I turning to each other at that point like Holy Shit did we really just see a Hey Ladies homage??!??!

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 AM

That Star Wars VII Reference is sort of cool, but honestly this is the ind of homage I like to see. Subtle and invisible if you don't know where it is coming from.

message board

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM
technically insane

What can you say that I don't know all ready

I mean

Fuck yes

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Love that movie, video, and song. I never made the connection with Mike D's outfit.

Sadly, it's the only Marky Mark movie I can watch. His work lately has been shit.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Love that movie, video, and song. I never made the connection with Mike D's outfit.

Sadly, it's the only Marky Mark movie I can watch. His work lately has been shit.

Marky Mark is really good when he has a great director or project pushing him. Boogie Nights, Departed, Basketball Diaries, Pain & Gain... When he just stars in blockbuster paycheck movies I avoid them. He's probably my least favorite marquee star next to Tom Cruise.

message board

Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
High Plains Drifter

I'm pretty sure that scene is not referencing the "Hey Ladies" music video.
The movie and the music video are simply referencing the same thing, the disco 70's.
I did think of the music video when I saw it though.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 10-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
I'm pretty sure that scene is not referencing the "Hey Ladies" music video.
The movie and the music video are simply referencing the same thing, the disco 70's.
I did think of the music video when I saw it though.
I gotta respectfully disagree. That funky guitar riff in Boogie Nights sounds very similar to Hey Ladies. Too much of a coincidence.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
I gotta respectfully disagree. That funky guitar riff in Boogie Nights sounds very similar to Hey Ladies. Too much of a coincidence.
That funky guitar riff is the The Commodores "Machine Gun". It's the sample they used for the meat and potatoes of Hey Ladies. That's the biggest coincidence. If Marky had the fat booty suit on then I'd agree 100% that the video was influenced for that scene. Maybe we can ask Paul Thomas Anderson. Does he have Twitter?

I forgot Departed. I think the last thing I saw him in was Transformers 18.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:42 AM

He's wearing teh same outfit, minus the big butt and straw hat. Those extra accoutrements would be ridiculous in the context of the film.

I'd too much of a coincidence, me thinks. But hey, I wasn't there and I'm no mind reader.

message board

Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 PM

i would put money on 'thats a hey ladies reference'... definitely
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Although I'm appreciating the similar disco scene they are each painting,
Mike's onesie overalls vs Dirk Diggler's pant suit vest combo aren't convincing me.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM

You gotta consider the prevalence of Machine Gun in pop culture in 1996-7.
Unlike now, where you can find a sample source in a heartbeat, for me, realizing I was hearing where they got the guitar riff from Hey Ladies at the same time as watching those visuals (it's much more than the outfit - it's the tone & style) made it very obvious then.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 10-12-2015, 01:34 AM

I would just think that it is a coincident similarity. The Commodores were a big band in the 70s. It's not like it is some rare song or something. If you look on wikipedia you will see that it went to #7 on the r&b charts. Go look in the dollar bin, you will see that album all the time.

They are both just recreating a disco scene. There was wild stuff like that back then. It was the style. Like Saturday Night Fever.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
Although I'm appreciating the similar disco scene they are each painting,
Mike's onesie overalls vs Dirk Diggler's pant suit vest combo aren't convincing me.
Yup.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM
I am your Fodder

Both reference iconic moments of the 70's. Saturday Night Fever was actually an incredibly innovative film that rises way above some pretty awkward writing. It was the first movie to ever use steadi-cam technology, which most of 2015's Oscar winner Birdman incorporated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=op5FxEs1aR0

And the Commodores defined the 70's dance sound,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vet0M0RPNp8

And of course references to the Saturday Night Fever go way back,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXVaChA3Q0

Subconsciously I believe P.T. Anderson & Quentin Tarantino both tip their directorial hats towards the Beasties quite a bit in their editing & especially the sampling style of soundtracks used in their films.

Fuck it would be awesome is if you could get either director to do a film about the Beastie Boys.

🚂SOUL-TRAIN🚂

Last edited by Phantom Menace : 10-12-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 AM

This is from a 1998 Uncut interview w/Anderson:

Quote:
There’s a really funny set-piece, the Starsky and Hutch-style opening credits to the Brock Landers film, which looks a lot like the video for the Beastie Boys “Sabotage”. Did you steal their idea?

“No, not at all. And I don’t wanna be so bold as to say that they actually saw The Dirk Diggler Story short, which was made in 1987 and has the exact same title sequence, but when I saw the ‘Sabotage’ video I was like, ‘Did they see my fucking short?’ Because it got around, y’know?”
Funny, maybe if he did cop Hey Ladies in that scene it was a fuck you.

EDIT: Huh, the guy's got an argument, I'd say: https://youtu.be/STaIqqJvpHE?t=17m51s (link to 17m51s point of The Dirk Diggler Story on YouTube)

Last edited by Bernard Goetz : 10-13-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz View Post
EDIT: Huh, the guy's got an argument, I'd say: https://youtu.be/STaIqqJvpHE?t=17m51s (link to 17m51s point of The Dirk Diggler Story on YouTube)
No. He doesn't.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Radio DJ Nurse

Love that movie as well.

This makes me think how the Beastie Boys challenged Marky Mark once to a game of basketball in the early 90's on MTV though. Love him as an actor but honestly Marky Mark was wack as fuck lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTIAA2tN6VGHCy0tF_On7oQ

:p

Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Monk View Post
No. He doesn't.
I think the Beasties have always been very open about their influences and what they've gone for with particular looks or sounds. If they had seen that short I think it would have been mentioned. The photo-shoot-turn-video story always sounded pretty legit (and organic) to me.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
I think the Beasties have always been very open about their influences and what they've gone for with particular looks or sounds. If they had seen that short I think it would have been mentioned. The photo-shoot-turn-video story always sounded pretty legit (and organic) to me.
Yep and it's not like referencing goofy 70's cop shows (or Johnny Wadd movies) with goofy wardrobes and fake mustaches by itself is that an original of an idea. The idea that somebody would try to stand up and try to take credit for that is hilarious.

-Busta Rhymes

Old 10-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Christ. It has nothing to do with the costumes of the Sabotage video. Look at a couple of the fucking shots in that YouTube link. They're pretty unique, especially considering PT Anderson made that in 1988. There's a pretty good fucking chance Spike Jonze saw The Dirk Diggler Story and absorbed those into his wheelhouse, consciously or not. Artists influence each other, it's not like I was crying THIEF!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't doubt anything you're saying. But even when you're inspired to make something awesome, like they obviously were in making the Sabotage video, you don't come to the table with 100% original ideas.

Why the hell is it so hard for some Beastie fans here to admit there's a chance this could be something that they (or at least Spike) dug and were influenced by?

Old 10-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Why the hell is it so hard for some Beastie fans here to admit there's a chance this could be something that they (or at least Spike) dug and were influenced by?
Why do you care what they think? It's just 1's and 0's. People are mad egotistical and have their own versions of Beastie past. I just skim through a bunch of shit on here.

Last edited by Micodin : 10-15-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't doubt anything you're saying. But even when you're inspired to make something awesome, like they obviously were in making the Sabotage video, you don't come to the table with 100% original ideas.

I don't find that hard at all - I think I made it pretty clear that they wear their influences on their sleeves.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
I don't find that hard at all - I think I made it pretty clear that they wear their influences on their sleeves.
Yeah, this.

My own point (which is separate from Dan's) was that it was silly for 1 person to stand up and say they personally invented something like that.
Anderson seems to imply that he's mad and was ripped off when he says "They saw my fucking short". Motherfucker please. The Sabotage video would have been made whether you had made that short or not.

-Busta Rhymes