Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Apparently now everyone is a fan

I remember many periods in my life in England, that it was thought if you were a BEASTIE BOYS fan you were made fun of mainly by people who were really into hip hop music or mainstream straight laced people.
1. From late August 1987 the papers in England really made the public hate the Beasties and hip hop fans into groups like Public Enemy, thought the beasties were silly.
2.When Pauls Boutique came out l knew of only 5 other people who still liked them.
3. Check your head/ ill communication and they were big with the alternative crowds in grunge clubs.
4.Hello nasty and it was cool for the mainstream to like the Beastie boys again!
5. TT5B oddly they seemed popular with the young crowd cos of check it out single
6.The mix up and Hot sauce committee seemed to be popular in the music press but people i'd mix with in life did'nt mention them unless SABOTAGE came on the radio.

Now these days everyone seems to be a fan, really since MCA's death?
Was it like this in the rest of the world? Or just what l was exposed to in Hampshire,England.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Apparently now everyone is a fan

sounds like Hampshire is a shit place to live tbh.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 AM

Arrow Re: Apparently now everyone is a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
I remember many periods in my life in England, that it was thought if you were a BEASTIE BOYS fan you were made fun of mainly by people who were really into hip hop music or mainstream straight laced people.
1. From late August 1987 the papers in England really made the public hate the Beasties and hip hop fans into groups like Public Enemy, thought the beasties were silly.
2.When Pauls Boutique came out l knew of only 5 other people who still liked them.
3. Check your head/ ill communication and they were big with the alternative crowds in grunge clubs.
4.Hello nasty and it was cool for the mainstream to like the Beastie boys again!
5. TT5B oddly they seemed popular with the young crowd cos of check it out single
6.The mix up and Hot sauce committee seemed to be popular in the music press but people i'd mix with in life did'nt mention them unless SABOTAGE came on the radio.

Now these days everyone seems to be a fan, really since MCA's death?
Was it like this in the rest of the world? Or just what l was exposed to in Hampshire,England.
This sounds pretty much like their take on it from the book. England especially freaked out about them over LTI but there was some version of that in the US too. And all the freaking out just let to them selling more records.

In my mind their most underrated album is Hot Sauce Committee. I wouldn't pick it over a lot of their albums, but I feel it never got the props it should have, maybe because there was no tour, or maybe because people weren't quite ready.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
This sounds pretty much like their take on it from the book. England especially freaked out about them over LTI but there was some version of that in the US too. And all the freaking out just let to them selling more records.

In my mind their most underrated album is Hot Sauce Committee. I wouldn't pick it over a lot of their albums, but I feel it never got the props it should have, maybe because there was no tour, or maybe because people weren't quite ready.
Hot Sauce Committee is a bigger deal than its ever been able to be.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
8 years ago today was the MSG ape leak...

thank you Adam.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM

i’ve been in the hip hop scene since creation and the beasties have always been respected, celebrated and honored in our circle. i have no idea what you’re talking about. i’m glad my experience wasn’t your experience with the group.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It's my second favorite album after Paul's Boutique.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up Re: Apparently now everyone is a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
That shit was dope. Still remember that morning vividly.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
10 years since it all started with Lee Majors and the pella for B-Boys in the Cut.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:20 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
This is a quote.

Last edited by jayjacobson16 : 04-24-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: meant to quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 AM
Jay

Quote:
10 years since it all started with Lee Majors and the pella for B-Boys in the Cut.
Can't believe it's been ten years. I remember, back when I was just a lurker and finding out about the track. Still one of my top tracks.

Quote:
This is a quote.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
i’ve been in the hip hop scene since creation and the beasties have always been respected, celebrated and honored in our circle. i have no idea what you’re talking about. i’m glad my experience wasn’t your experience with the group.
I only ever see love when it comes to them. Those who aren't interested aren't interested, but when the boys come into the conversation I only ever see acknowledgment and respect.

Quote:
This is a quote.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:31 AM
Dear New York

Quote:
Makes me feel old.....

www.musicfanclubs.org/beastieboys

If I had a car it would be a cadalac, Rockin on the mic, I'm not the wacky wack!

Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM

I kinda agree regarding the Paul's Boutique era. As someone that lived through it and hung in various scenes, I will say, yeah, there were people that were still into them for that album. It wasn't like it was unheard of. But compared to LTI, it may as well have been, to the average person. Most of the people that were into the album were more diverse type music fans, people that would be into alternative and classic rock as well as hip hop. Hardcore hip hop-only heads were in general not checking for PB and a lot of them never even heard it. It was a different time, with the afrocentric movement, the medallions and the X hats. As far as those folks were concerned, the Beasties were not really on their radar. And as for the mainstream music fan that bought LTI based on hearing Fight for you Right, they weren't going to go looking for something if it wasn't being played on the radio all day. So that album and CYH were where they really found out who their real fans were.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
I kinda agree regarding the Paul's Boutique era. As someone that lived through it and hung in various scenes, I will say, yeah, there were people that were still into them for that album. It wasn't like it was unheard of. But compared to LTI, it may as well have been, to the average person. Most of the people that were into the album were more diverse type music fans, people that would be into alternative and classic rock as well as hip hop. Hardcore hip hop-only heads were in general not checking for PB and a lot of them never even heard it. It was a different time, with the afrocentric movement, the medallions and the X hats. As far as those folks were concerned, the Beasties were not really on their radar. And as for the mainstream music fan that bought LTI based on hearing Fight for you Right, they weren't going to go looking for something if it wasn't being played on the radio all day. So that album and CYH were where they really found out who their real fans were.
Spot on.
It seems more people like them these days than when they were releasing albums.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Spot on.
It seems more people like them these days than when they were releasing albums.
Yeah, there's a tendency of people to celebrate and glorify something to an extent once it's in the past. Especially when someone dies. I don't know if "more people like them" now, because they got to be pretty damn big at certain points in their career. But I agree that now there is more of an overall respect for them. They are looked at totally differently now of course, as pioneers, early creative innovators, legends basically. It's like the way Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis are looked at for early rock and roll. The media has a lot to do with that, how the average person can be influenced to see things in a way maybe they hadn't before.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Yeah, there's a tendency of people to celebrate and glorify something to an extent once it's in the past. Especially when someone dies. I don't know if "more people like them" now, because they got to be pretty damn big at certain points in their career. But I agree that now there is more of an overall respect for them. They are looked at totally differently now of course, as pioneers, early creative innovators, legends basically. It's like the way Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis are looked at for early rock and roll. The media has a lot to do with that, how the average person can be influenced to see things in a way maybe they hadn't before.
Damn you know how to put things into words, that was my point but put in a much better way.
I agree its the music media they do influence how people think, whats cool whats not.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
The name Praying Mantis

Quote:
Well I can vouch for Hampshire, I grew up there and didn't leave until my late 20's. They were massive with everyone I knew during the LTI period, my best friend and I "acquired" VW badges then too when we were around 16 years old.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Music est. 1986

I'm in my mid 30's now and I found that among my friends growing up, that I was the only one who was a huge fan. Quite possibly, because of my huge fandom, I probably turned people off by being too overzealous and annoying. People always respected them, but I found less so with many hip-hop heads and even encountered a few people who actually hated them (but those people also worshiped Blink 182 and a lot of the pop-punk stuff that was coming out in the early 2000's (teenagers basically).
I also grew up close to the Detroit area (midwest, southwest Ontario) so most people were more about Eminem, D-12 and the stuff coming out from that era. My brother-in-law and a few people older than me were huge fans and turned me on to them, but I feel the people my age didn't really care.
That being said, who cares if people like them or not? Or if they're trying to jump on it to make themselves cool. Do you like them? If yes, then what else matters? There is also going to be new fans every year. It wasn't until Hello Nasty and the Anthology that I got bit by the Beasties bug, and I'm sure fans from the LTI days were rolling their eyes looking at me being a bandwagoner.