Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Hip-Hop Sampler background?

I recently acquired the Hip-Hop Sampler album (the one with the guy doing karate on the front) and have listened to it a couple of times now. Does anyone know anything about it, or why it was produced? Obviously it's a promo, but its track list strikes me as odd. A few hits, a couple B-sides, some less popular tracks, and 4 versions of Sure Shot.

Beastiemania also says that it's limited to 1250 copies, although I've never been able to verify that number. Why such an odd number made?

Anyway, just hoping somebody knows a little more than me about it!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 AM

Arrow Re: Hip-Hop Sampler background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I recently acquired the Hip-Hop Sampler album (the one with the guy doing karate on the front) and have listened to it a couple of times now. Does anyone know anything about it, or why it was produced? Obviously it's a promo, but its track list strikes me as odd. A few hits, a couple B-sides, some less popular tracks, and 4 versions of Sure Shot.

Beastiemania also says that it's limited to 1250 copies, although I've never been able to verify that number. Why such an odd number made?

Anyway, just hoping somebody knows a little more than me about it!
I think that a lot of people, especially at the time that sample came out, saw the live instrumentation tracks as a distraction from the "hip hop" (more sample based) music. I know that when I got Check Your Head and Ill Com it was common for me to play only the sample based tracks. Just speculation, but I think this was an attempt to cater to that.

Also, keep in mind there are lots of bootlegs of this one.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Hip-Hop Sampler background?

Like Skratch said, there are a lot of bootlegs out there, Beastiemania's has a good guide: http://beastiemania.com/collector/bo...opsampler.phpf

I bought a copy off ebay a few years ago and unfortunately it ended up being a bootleg. I knew as soon as I pulled it out of the package and saw that it wasn't in a gatefold. It's a shame because I held a legit copy in my hands at a local record store 15 years ago and passed on it because it was too expensive. Wish I would have got it back then because this was before wide bootlegs and the price has only gone up since then.

I too have questions about this release.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Arrow Re: Hip-Hop Sampler background?

Fortunately, I know mine is a legitimate copy because I bought it from Mike D (who was selling stuff out of his closet on eBay for charity).

Aside from the gate fold sleeve, a good practical way to spot originals may be that the stickers (at least on mine) are not spot on in the center of the sleeve. Almost looks like the stickers were put on by hand, just eyeballing the placement.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Hip-Hop Sampler background?

Yeah, I did a bunch of research on beastiemania before buying, and ended up getting a legit copy. Discogs is pretty good with differentiating legit from bootleg.

I think it's a trip that Mike D had a copy in his closet. Just in case he ever wanted to listen to a weird compilation of his old albums, featuring 4 different versions of Sure Shot?