Old 01-26-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Re-listened to the TT5B

I have' nt listened to the TT5B in about 3 years or more.l always liked it because im into
HIP HOP music from 85 to 00 era.
unlike l feel most people who disliked it, were the crossover from the alternative music crowd.
But l liked (still do) the Beastie boys from 86 to 89 when they were considered a HIP HOP group.
The sound on headphones sounded so fresh, sonic and current with clear flows of rapping.
Maybe im clueless but TT5B sounds like the sort of album that could be released in 2018 esp the album cuts, more so than the singles like triple trouble and check it out.
The hard way, time to build, oh word, all lifestyles have taken on a new life for me!

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 AM
Current Member

Default Re: Re-listened to the TT5B

I listened to it recently; really enjoyed about 65% of it. I adored it as a straight up hip-hop effort at the time, then hot sauce showed me so much more. It was like a Kid A, deliberate deconstruction of their style thing sort of. Still sounds good tho

Shout at the Devil!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM
technically insane

so i still have a 6 disc changer in my car, but plan on a new car this year once my once brand new 2004 hits 200K in the miles

anyway, I always keep 3 slots for the BB CDs and cant deny it TT5B get almost the least play second to LTI. But I put it in and there are some great tracks and some duds. I always thought they just rushed this one and did not take the time to make every song great. Not that the production isnt good, just not the typical hook/have to here it again effect. I dont know, but that was always my thoughts. HN has the top honors for the past few years, but CYH would get my vote for my personal favorite.

If you dont like it then hey ...

happy weekend

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 PM
crazy sniffable

I think TT5B will always be met with a degree of disdain simply because of it's overtly socio-political commentary. Which isn't to discredit the nobility of said outspokenness, however the manner in which said prose were delivered, whilst sharply adjacent to their trademark silliness, translated to something of an "after-school special" vibe.

I feel if they had contained the socially conscious tunes to a succinct EP release, and maintained a more universally lighthearted sentiment for the piece de resistance, that TT5B would be more readily accessible and resilient to fans, both loyal and casual.

Then again, what better podium from which to express one's deep-seated opinions than woven symbiotically among a highly anticipated LP proper?

Alas, it's their art and their prerogative, and god bless'em for sticking to their guns time and time again.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 01-27-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:45 PM

I remember when TT5B came out my friends and I were talking about how we were worried that it might not be very good. This theory of ours came from the fact that the group head released The Sounds of Science years before, and we thought maybe they were signaling that they were "done" with serious music and might just be doing some side-project stuff now. The fact that the album was in reference to NY and the 9/11 attacks were fairly recent, we thought it might just be a novelty album about NYC, Bush, the war, etc.

They we listened to it and didn't know what to make of it. We felt like we were kind of right. Hello Nasty took 5 years to make and it was amazing. TT5B took even longer and it definitely seems like it was made in 2 months with a fifth of the effort. It wasn't novelty enough to confirm our suspicions, but it also wasn't good enough for an album that took that long.

I think we were somewhat right. After Hello Nasty, Yauch got way more into making films, Mike was doing more fashion and art stuff, Adrock was.... getting more into judge shows and Chinese food? But they were having kids and the kids were getting older, getting new interests, etc. It seemed like the full-time Beastie Boys were done. The Mix Up was great, but again, not something we'd expect. HSCP2 was surprisingly good, but again, felt less like they had dedicated themselves to an album and more like 3 friends made an album in between doing their full-time jobs.

I love all their albums, including TT5B, but for me it sort of signaled the end of the Beastie Boys ars 3 boys who were all about their band and the start of 3 men who could made a great album from time to time.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Honestly TT5B is 50/50 for me. I didn't mind that political aspect of the record because I was pretty much in agreement with what they were saying. I just didn't like the "sound" of the album. It's very thin and cold. There were no warm tones to be found on there. I blame a lot on the mixing of the record and relying on software for the beats. I wish they used drum machines and samplers on this project instead of relying on protools and logic.

Mario C was truly missed on this project for me. Luckily there were enough B-sides that I can make a pretty good 10 to 12 song playlist from that era. Time to Build, Triple Trouble, That's It That's All are highlights for me.

Yauch was a highlight with his lyrics on this one. But this is the album I ignore the most.

BUT... There "live" shows were fucking great! They were on point in concert. I think I caught 12-15 Beasties shows on that run. Good times.

Last edited by Micodin : 01-30-2018 at 07:25 AM.