Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:26 AM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Similar music style recommendation

I'm looking to try find some new music to listen to, maybe some great group l have missed along the way.
The Beastie boys have been my favourite music since May 1987 and my music life is pretty empty these days.
So if l was to recommend some music to someone who loved the Beastie boys, l would suggest RUN DMC early stuff, The Goats, Cypress Hill and Bad Brains.
The suggestion could be a famous group, l may of not given them a chance before.
Thanks in advance, any ideas are most welcome.



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

EPMD’s first 5 albums is a great place to start if you haven’t gotten into them previously. classic albums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 AM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
EPMD’s first 5 albums is a great place to start if you haven’t gotten into them previously. classic albums.
I never liked their beats but l always liked their voices and that track with LL COOL J "rampage" was very good though



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"


Last edited by pesto pizza : 02-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Cherry pick stuff, man. There’s a lot to digest if you try to get into entire discographies. EPMD is a great call, though. Nice little Beastie nods in tracks like Let The Funk Flow and Da Joint. There are Beastie nods throughout the Def Squad canon, too, but you would do them a disservice to only check for them because of some nods.

That’s sort of the real challenge, though. I don’t know that there are many bands ‘similar’ (and to be fair, when people say such about things like 311 you can see that first hand). Similar could be a self actualised band persona more than stylistic, though.

I mean Tribe, De La (I absolutely adore their most recent album) all the other super obvious choices, but I think it’s also cool to consider groups the Beastie Boys liked, as much as groups which may be similar. I bump a shit ton of Bossa Nova on Spotify, basically solely because of the Beastie Boys. It’s made my home a very pleasant place to be.

Drawing a longer bow, Stepfather by People Under the Stairs was in that studio photo of the Boys. I took that as a lead at one point in time.

To a similar end, Mike D was with RR during the recording of 99 problems; there’s an incredible remix of the Black album getting around to commemorate the 15th anniversary which everybody must check out. Horovitz banged on about Os Mutantes in the book, and that’s definitely worth checking out. Yauch played a little with Cro-Mags. Try that?

I personally have been quite enjoying Mac Demarco; he has the whole Lo-fi DIY thing going on. Very chill. People always talked about Edan being in the Beastie Boys wheelhouse back in 05 or whenever, maybe look into that?

As cautious as I am about you looking for ‘similar’ groups, I’m fully aware that I’m doing a terrible job with alternatives. Beastie Boys’ lane is far too unique, though, man. The most recent ATCQ album? Oh, Jungle Bothers?

A real practical tip for me has been following their peers and associates on Insta. Ricky Powell, Mario C etc they all post some shit which leads down interesting musical paths. Hurra sorta does, too. You might like his style more.

Good luck!

EDIT: McDuff dropped the recommendation for ESG the other month; very Mix-Up vibes from them. I love that shit.

EDIT EDIT: I finally realised a dream and caught the Avalanches live. It reminded me a lot of the Beastie Boys. Basically just crate-digging music-heads with a flair for the unusual. If you can find a version of their debut which isn’t gimped by sample clearances, try that. Wildflower was my shit, too.



Shout at the Devil!


Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-10-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: My fingers are too fat for phone posting
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
I never liked their beats
haha ok bro. there’s nothing i can do for you then. good luck. smh
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 AM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Thanks everyone so far, l will try some of those on you tube.



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

You mentioned Cypress Hill. I’m not as emphatic in their similarity to the B-Boys, they stagnated a bit. Elephants on Acid I’ll assume you’re across however Muggs has always been the real talent of the group. His album with Meyhem Lauren is incredible. His most recent Soul Assassins wasn’t bad, either.



Shout at the Devil!

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Also the ‘Other Music’ forum on these boards in an implausibly overlooked resource (although post 2012 not much happened there, I guess). If something gets more than 15 replies, maybe look into it.



Shout at the Devil!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
You mentioned Cypress Hill. I’m not as emphatic in their similarity to the B-Boys, they stagnated a bit. Elephants on Acid I’ll assume you’re across however Muggs has always been the real talent of the group. His album with Meyhem Lauren is incredible. His most recent Soul Assassins wasn’t bad, either.
muggs has been on a tear lately. the two meyhem projects and the roc marci project were all equally great.

Last edited by Micodin : 02-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
You mentioned Cypress Hill. I’m not as emphatic in their similarity to the B-Boys, they stagnated a bit. Elephants on Acid I’ll assume you’re across however Muggs has always been the real talent of the group. His album with Meyhem Lauren is incredible. His most recent Soul Assassins wasn’t bad, either.
Just listened to Meyhem Lauren very good stuff, l assumed hip hop music was just chart friendly these days whereas this stuff reminded me of 1988 stuff.Good recommendation.cheers



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
l assumed hip hop music was just chart friendly these days
its starting to become more and more clear to me nowadays that 97% of beastie boys fans or the people on this message board didn’t grow up listening to hip hop or abandoned it after 1989.

it’s aslo clear to me that when people ask for music suggestions that’s sounds like the beasties they are really asking for other white rappers suggestions but don’t want to come off as a racist.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
its starting to become more and more clear to me nowadays that 97% of beastie boys fans or the people on this message board didn’t grow up listening to hip hop or abandoned it after 1989.

it’s aslo clear to me that when people ask for music suggestions that’s sounds like the beasties they are really asking for other white rappers suggestions but don’t want to come off as a racist.
Can you elaborate? Because I’m not sure of the relevance. Honest question.



Shout at the Devil!

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
its starting to become more and more clear to me nowadays that 97% of beastie boys fans or the people on this message board didn’t grow up listening to hip hop or abandoned it after 1989.

it’s aslo clear to me that when people ask for music suggestions that’s sounds like the beasties they are really asking for other white rappers suggestions but don’t want to come off as a racist.
I abandoned hip hop about 1999 and from 1987 was only into hip hop, but still purchase all ATCQ , de la soul, Black sheep and cypress hill new releases.
I don't like white rappers at all, to me eminem is awful.
I have'nt a clue why you have read what you have read into my comments, mind you l am aware people are always looking for arguements online these days



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Can you elaborate? Because I’m not sure of the relevance. Honest question.
yeah man. most of it stems from working at a indie record store for so long. i was known as the "hip hop" guy because of being a semi-popular local DJ/beat maker and also from playing beasties, Def Jux and backpack rap in the store constantly.

anyhoo, i would get asked for rap music recommendations daily and it seemed like 9 times out of 10 what they really were asking for (even if they didn't know it) was rap music they could relate to. which would be white rappers due to living in Maine because everyone is basically white there.

i'm not trying to say those people are racist because of that. white people like white rappers because they can relate to their lyrics and most importantly imo they can see themselves as being that white rapper. sorta like white people loving larry bird back in the day. they liked seeing a white person excelling in a predominate black sport just like they like seeing eminem, 3rd bass, beasties... doing the same with rap music.

so, when people asked me for recommendations i'd give them around 10 different (mostly black) artists/groups to listen to and they would end up choosing eminem or aesop rock 97% of the time.

this thread gave me deja vu of those scenarios. i didn't mean to throw any shots at anyone or whatnot. but i am going to go listen to EPMD all fucking day now because Erick is a personal friend of mine and he's one of my fav top hip hop producers of all time. i'll knife fight anyone in the damn streets that besmirch his beat making abilities. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Brother McDuff's Avatar
Brother McDuff Brother McDuff is offline
crazy sniffable
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the windy city
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

the bboys are one of a kind, of course, but when i think of music that shares a strand of DNA or two with them i think of select Beck records, Rage Against the Machine, Public Enemy, Gorillaz first LP, De La Soul’s first coupla records, Jungle Brothers’ first two, etc. I’d even go out on a limb and say Ween. While not hiphop, theyre from the same school/generation and convey a similar chameleonic dynamism, sparked by a punky, tongue in cheek sense of adventure.

Alt projects by collaborators are always strong avenues to explore too, i.e. other Mario C productions, Money Mark solo work, other Rick Rubin hiphop material, definitely the Dust Brothers body of work, especially from the 90s.

Kid P hit the nail on the head regarding music the bboys directly reference as well. The amount of name-checking and sample sources their library offers is just overwhelming, and now with all the leads offered in the new book, holy cow. could keep you researching for days.



it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM
dust monkey's Avatar
dust monkey dust monkey is offline
space cake cookie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 349
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

pesto, i would go back to epmd to check in on their beats. i've never heard anyone say that and i'm a bit surprised because they are legendary. seen them open for run dmc right before strictly business dropped and it was glorious and the beats for their entire catalog are very nice. i think you might reconsider if you give em another shot.

if you have google music you can take a gander at my raised on hip hop playlist. it's by no means a greatest hits or even comprehensive in the least....just all the shit that resonates with me and still makes me move.



thank you adam adam & mike

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
pesto, i would go back to epmd to check in on their beats. i've never heard anyone say that and i'm a bit surprised because they are legendary. seen them open for run dmc right before strictly business dropped and it was glorious and the beats for their entire catalog are very nice. i think you might reconsider if you give em another shot.

if you have google music you can take a gander at my raised on hip hop playlist. it's by no means a greatest hits or even comprehensive in the least....just all the shit that resonates with me and still makes me move.
Ok will do, cheers



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Ween fucking rule.



Shout at the Devil!

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Kid Presentable's Avatar
Kid Presentable Kid Presentable is offline
Current Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,894
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

https://youtu.be/kJ3QAMtQOrQ

Bam. Now you have two lines of inquiry: Galt McDermott and Badbadnotgood



Shout at the Devil!

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 AM
tt5brevisited's Avatar
tt5brevisited tt5brevisited is offline
Registered Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 219
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

maybe check out edan...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/39713-Edan



myrrows outlet
Beastie Boys Remix Projects

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Jiberish Jiberish is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,028
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
but i am going to go listen to EPMD all fucking day now because Erick is a personal friend of mine and he's one of my fav top hip hop producers of all time. i'll knife fight anyone in the damn streets that besmirch his beat making abilities. lol.
I found a caseless cassette tape of STRICTLY BUSINESS in a puddle in a gutter on the side of the road in Boston about 20 years ago. I had not been into EMPD before I popped that tape in my tapedeck and honestly i feel like I missed out on so much great stuff. That first record is INCREDIBLE. I still bump it. The beats on that album are out of this world.



message board

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
I found a caseless cassette tape of STRICTLY BUSINESS in a puddle in a gutter on the side of the road in Boston about 20 years ago. I had not been into EMPD before I popped that tape in my tapedeck and honestly i feel like I missed out on so much great stuff. That first record is INCREDIBLE. I still bump it. The beats on that album are out of this world.
i saw a clip (not even the whole video) of “you gots to chill” on yo mtv raps as a youth and then ran to my moms and asked her to get me their tape for xmas. moms came through and damn i never heard hip hop as funky before then. just that little clip of them rhyming over “more bounce” had me hooked. been a fan since strictly business. i watched their career very closely like the beasties. their first 4 or 5 albums are all home runs imo, much like the b-boys. plus they had das efx, redman, k-solo and keith murray in their stable. quality hip hop.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Micodin Micodin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,832
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt5brevisited View Post
if u love the production style of pauls boutique then i cannot recomend “beauty and the beat” enough. great great record!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt5brevisited View Post
Very excited about hear so more from this guy.
Just heard beauty and the beat, the gut, migraine, ultra 88 and help.very fucking original and im liking it.thanks



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"


Last edited by pesto pizza : 02-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Justin's Avatar
Justin Justin is offline
DANCE SUCKA!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 3,135
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Pesto,

This is an extremely hard question because everybody thinks differently. To me, when you say similar music styles..I think about how openminded the beasties were/are with their musical taste and how they were not afraid to try something new/cutting edge or taking a sample from some antediluvian 70’s record. Others may think differently and maybe try to find other artists/songs that ‘sound’ like the beasties. For the latter, I always failed with this. I suggest you expose yourself to new genre’s and listen to anything and everything. You will absolutely hate it at first I can promise that, but keep shooting that open three in the corner! Eventually you’ll find a spot, rotation and form that is consistent to your liking and the team.

For me personally...I’m kinda like Adrock. It starts with a good beat. It could be any genre. Hip hop, reggae, electronic, honky tonk, etc.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.



Good evening, I'm Chevy Chase and you're touching yourself
Exceptional Professional

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Brother McDuff's Avatar
Brother McDuff Brother McDuff is offline
crazy sniffable
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the windy city
Posts: 3,224
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

more praise for Beauty and The Beat here. the last hiphop album to completely flip my wig. while not comparable, his Echo Party record was pretty bodacious too.



it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Sir SkratchaLot Sir SkratchaLot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,508
Arrow Re: Similar music style recommendation

EPMD is dope.

Here's some less than mainstream hip hop stuff (but not too obscure) that you might dig:

Hip Hop:
Main Source - "Breaking Atoms";
Souls of Mischief - "93 till infinity" / Del the Funky Homosapien / Hieroglyphics
Digable Planets
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM
Sir SkratchaLot Sir SkratchaLot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,508
Arrow Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
if u love the production style of pauls boutique then i cannot recomend “beauty and the beat” enough. great great record!
These days Edan is doing some stuff with Homebody Sandman that's pretty cool.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:18 PM
pesto pizza's Avatar
pesto pizza pesto pizza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Posts: 727
Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
EPMD is dope.

Here's some less than mainstream hip hop stuff (but not too obscure) that you might dig:

Hip Hop:
Main Source - "Breaking Atoms";
Souls of Mischief - "93 till infinity" / Del the Funky Homosapien / Hieroglyphics
Digable Planets
Love them already.thanks



"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Sir SkratchaLot Sir SkratchaLot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,508
Arrow Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
Love them already.thanks
You got Siah and Yeshua Dapoed, "The Visuals" (only 2 mcs)?
Jurrasic 5 has lots of MCs over old school breaks. They're playing off a lot of late 70s early 80s hip hop vibes like the Beasties.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2012 Beastie Boys