Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM
MCL with a story to tell

Default Adam Yauch’s Last Song

https://youtu.be/lhxmSh-X_8Y

Mix Master Mike shared a snippet of MCA’s last ever vocals on Instagram live last week. Luckily my main man Jérôme from the Beastie Family Facebook page was quick off the mark and recorded it. I have screen captured his video in order to share it with all of my friends here on the Message Board. It’s short but it’s something special for us fans!

I’m assuming this verse comes from the final session which Mike spoke about in Rolling Stone in 2012. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-yauch-121425/

“How much music did you make at your final recording session with him last fall?”
Mike D: Adam instigated it. It could only come from him, in terms of where he was at with treatment. It was stuff we had written or demo-ed, and there were new ideas. He wasn’t sure he was able to do vocals. But after a bit, we ended up doing them. And he was fine. It was a way for him to say, “Yeah, I’m doing it.”

PWR2MCA

Last edited by Eoin MCL : 02-26-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mix Master Mike’s name
Old 02-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Default Re: Adam Yauch’s Last Song

Beautiful. Thanks to everyone who helped in getting this recorded and posted.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanks for sharing that!

Sounds like he fell into a NSTB flow "another plane another train another bottle to the brain" at around the 00:18 second mark. I know he's not saying those words. Just a similar flow. In a cool way.

That made me super jazzed, and super bummed at the same time. Jazz Bumm.

message board

Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM

From the snippet l heard its good!

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 02-26-2019, 04:18 PM

So happy to share my find with all the Beastie Boys fans (thanks Eoin to put it on the Message Board) !
I was luckily enough to record it before it disappeared.
God damn that DJ made my day !

Jerome

Well I feel I'm losing my mind, this time.
This time I'm losing my mind.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Current Member

I like to think the song is about a day and it’s beauty, from dawn through til dusk. Which would be too real.

Amazing how much he still sounded like MCA, all the way until the end.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Damn.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 PM

Arrow Re: Adam Yauch’s Last Song

Thanks, I must have missed it in IG. I hope Yauch's family is doing well.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 AM
crazy sniffable

wow, what a bittersweet feeling this raises. such a treat to hear his voice though, and he sounded on point as ever. good lookin out for catching and sharing this.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Registered Lurker

wow
thanks!
Old 02-27-2019, 02:32 PM

love it.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Music est. 1986

I know it's never going to happen, but it would be cool if Mike and Adam did one last album with MCA's vocals kind of like a Tribe Called Quest did.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I know it's never going to happen, but it would be cool if Mike and Adam did one last album with MCA's vocals kind of like a Tribe Called Quest did.
Or just release what they have.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
i hope that never happens tbh. sounds horrible.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
i hope that never happens tbh. sounds horrible.
Could you sort of see them doing it?

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Could you sort of see them doing it?
nah. maybe some unreleased jam sessions from the G-Son or TMU eras but that’s it. they both seem firm on that. a manufactured Beasties album w/o Yauch’s input is not interesting to me. it would cheapen the bands legacy imo.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:56 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
nah. maybe some unreleased jam sessions from the G-Son or TMU eras but that’s it. they both seem firm on that. a manufactured Beasties album w/o Yauch’s input is not interesting to me. it would cheapen the bands legacy imo.
thought about this long and hard and i agree. from what i understand phife was around for most of the tribe recording... i recall wanting to know what input he had when announced and I want to say it was just he and tip for like half a year or something. stitching a full beastie album together with new/old music and new/old vocals is something suge knight would do with every scrap of 2pac vocals left on tape.

agree though they would never do anyway

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 02-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Music est. 1986

In retrospect, yes it would be terrible if it was just patching together random shit. But I remember reading somewhere that they were recording new material right up to the point of his passing.

It would only work if they had some stuff in the can that already had MCA's blessings but just maybe needed to be mixed or polished. The way it seems to work with them that all 3 of them collectively have to turn the key / push the button before anything is released. But I agree id rather have them keep an untainted legacy than something crappy released just for the sake of it.

"My squad, we gotta pact -- we're never coming wack"

I guess I was just a huge fan of the last Tribe album and am always longing for new Beastie Boys material.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
stitching a full beastie album together with new/old music and new/old vocals is something suge knight would do with every scrap of 2pac vocals left on tape.
for sure. Puffy keeps doing it with BIG. a shit-load of remix and compilation albums. same thing is happening to Big L, ODB, Eazy and countless others. some could say the same about the J Dilla's situation. it's gross to me.

with Yauch being so "hands on" w/every project, it would bum me out hearing him rap on a track that he didn't originally rap on or have a part of creating.

i am interested in...

beastie demos, lost or unreleased songs from ANY era

or

new shit from mike and adam rapping on a song they made, with MMM scratching in some Yauch lines.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:26 PM

never say never....

thank you Adam.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Current Member

Quote:
But the tracks laid down as late as the final recording session would be ok, right?

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Current Member

Quote:
thought about this long and hard and i agree. from what i understand phife was around for most of the tribe recording... i recall wanting to know what input he had when announced and I want to say it was just he and tip for like half a year or something. stitching a full beastie album together with new/old music and new/old vocals is something suge knight would do with every scrap of 2pac vocals left on tape.

agree though they would never do anyway
It’s miles different to the Suge example, though. You’re really going to liken Mike and Adam to that creep? I’m not sure they wouldn’t do it, and couldn’t pull it off. They wrote a book in a way we couldn’t have ever predicted.

I don’t want to infer they would do it for the wrong reasons, either, but whatever they’ve got left lying around, if they wanted to share it, they’d surely give it’s due respect in terms of presentation. And if that’s just polishing up old recordings, then great!

I guarantee if they did repurpose and create a ‘collage’ (and it’s a big, gross if from what I’m reading) you’d hear it and love it, though. It’s them. Come on. We all have concerns about execution, and it’s a sensitive subject, but 2/3 of the Beastie Boys have far better sensibilities about how to do it (and why) than we do.

Let’s say Yauch’s last song is a solo joint; easy, that could be an ‘as is’. But if they wanted to layer some pre-recorded fuzz bass or other random vocal - or instrumental - shit of their own in there too, I wouldn’t be mad.

We know in every instance, no matter which way they ultimately go, their intentions are pure. That’s enough, surely.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM

I feel like we've had 7 years of musical silence from the band (more or less), and I think that's fine. I think when a band comes out and says "we're done," and they really mean it (that is, no more bonus releases, no unheard tracks, etc), there's kind of a peace in knowing that you've got the legacy of the group, all your favorite albums, and you can just sit back and remember the good times.

When bands keep popping back up "out of retirement," I get this uneasy feeling like "are they gonna drop some super shitty album and kind of taint their legacy?" Even if they aren't doing anything, if they're the type of band that would do something, it just.... I dunno.... makes me kind of cringe.

I have around 300 records, and 100 of them are Beastie records, all from the catalogue that exists now. I'm cool with what they've done. They were the soundtrack of my youth, and so far, a lot of my adulthood. Would it be neat to hear Adrock jamming on some weird hippy jazz bugout track for 2 hours? Sure. Do I really want to hear it. Not really. He's done enough for a lot of us already. The dude can sit back, order Chinese food, watch judge shows, and have fun with whatever awesome thing is next in the post-Beastie world.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I feel like we've had 7 years of musical silence from the band (more or less), and I think that's fine. I think when a band comes out and says "we're done," and they really mean it (that is, no more bonus releases, no unheard tracks, etc), there's kind of a peace in knowing that you've got the legacy of the group, all your favorite albums, and you can just sit back and remember the good times.

When bands keep popping back up "out of retirement," I get this uneasy feeling like "are they gonna drop some super shitty album and kind of taint their legacy?" Even if they aren't doing anything, if they're the type of band that would do something, it just.... I dunno.... makes me kind of cringe.

I have around 300 records, and 100 of them are Beastie records, all from the catalogue that exists now. I'm cool with what they've done. They were the soundtrack of my youth, and so far, a lot of my adulthood. Would it be neat to hear Adrock jamming on some weird hippy jazz bugout track for 2 hours? Sure. Do I really want to hear it. Not really. He's done enough for a lot of us already. The dude can sit back, order Chinese food, watch judge shows, and have fun with whatever awesome thing is next in the post-Beastie world.
100%. I feel it’s a continuum rather than a binary yes/no with these guys, but either way we all have come out better off for there having been a band.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
...They wrote a book in a way we couldn’t have ever predicted.
this is a really good point i had not considered. well played.

never say never....

hang tight....Spring is right around the corner....

warming up....

hood is like the mike zeroh in beastie wars

the echo chamber has gone dark since EP.54

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 PM
One Fly Gemini

Quote:

never say never....

warming up....

Yeah I've noticed this, I've run out of episodes to listen to.

"We're the Beastie Boys from New York City, this song is dedicated to Macy" - Adrock introducing "Gratitude" at Virgin Festival.

Macy (Jan 3, 2000 - Aug 3, 2007)

http://www.facebook.com/daveblev

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I guarantee if they did repurpose and create a ‘collage’ (and it’s a big, gross if from what I’m reading) you’d hear it and love it, though. It’s them. Come on. We all have concerns about execution, and it’s a sensitive subject, but 2/3 of the Beastie Boys have far better sensibilities about how to do it (and why) than we do.

what's the matter with taking the band at it's word when they said the band is no more? and why should we ask them to break that promise? it comes off kinda greedy and entitled imo. remember, we are all customers. the band doesn't owe us anything.

i'm far more interested in the old demos, lost songs, and jam sessions of them in their prime. when they were really getting it. but thats just me bro.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Current Member

Quote:
what's the matter with taking the band at it's word when they said the band is no more? and why should we ask them to break that promise? it comes off kinda greedy and entitled imo. remember, we are all customers. the band doesn't owe us anything.

i'm far more interested in the old demos, lost songs, and jam sessions of them in their prime. when they were really getting it. but thats just me bro.
Not entitled. They can (and will) do what they want. Only riffing on possibilities.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 03-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:

never say never....

warming up....

F' that dude...'don't forget to subscribe for future SW content'.....10min video on possible rumor that's probably not true....

i'd rather watch the 'dick in the box' vid....vintage version....in the Spring time warmth of the east coast....

thank you Adam.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:55 AM

star wars? did someone say entitlement?

"I don't own star wars but i want them to do what i want them to do because i went to all the movies and bought all the action figures and lunch pails, do what i want, gimme gimme gimme!"