Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Re: HSC Part One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjrg View Post
Were they ripped? I'll have to check those out.
https://youtu.be/-j2I8D-jNLc
Old 12-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
Legit how?

BeastieBoys Collections is probably someone out of their camp....
Nope. I know him. I'll ask how he put it together.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Here's a slightly better quality version that doesn't have the crowd background noise from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EVVVzVMEM

I'm wondering if this is a vinyl rip - just guessing. I have the vinyl single with this on it from a Record Store Day release and it sounds just like this.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Here's a slightly better quality version that doesn't have the crowd background noise from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EVVVzVMEM

I'm wondering if this is a vinyl rip - just guessing. I have the vinyl single with this on it from a Record Store Day release and it sounds just like this.
word word. i just dug my RSD 12" out of the crates and gave it a spin. i forgot the b-side was Daft Punk "Da Funk" mashed with Lee Majors Come Again.

i still have a sealed copy if anyone is looking for one.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:55 PM

Arrow Re: HSC Part One

Quote:
word word. i just dug my RSD 12" out of the crates and gave it a spin. i forgot the b-side was Daft Punk "Da Funk" mashed with Lee Majors Come Again.

i still have a sealed copy if anyone is looking for one.
I ended up with a few copies too. I remember advance calling the record store thinking there was going to be a lot of competition to get the new Beastie Boys record and it was pretty much the opposite. One record store held a copy for me and I went to another and just picked it up out of the crate.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
did B-Boys in the Cut get a early pre Zdar release? because this is def different than the Part Two version.

the review of HSCP1 said Bundt Cake was 21 seconds of a crisp drum break and snatches of cyber vocals. this version has the crisp drums but i don’t really hear any vocals.

i dunno guys, someone needs to get the scoop from the guy that uploaded this. i’d like to hear him out.
I'm on that.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Make Some Noise turned up on Z-Trips redacted thing, in its pre-Zdar glory, as limp and as lifeless as lettuce audio-wise. This one ain’t it.
Anyone know where I can hear this version of Make Some Noise?
Old 12-02-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmanuk View Post
Anyone know where I can hear this version of Make Some Noise?
around the 9:30 mark

https://youtu.be/5CeIBLUFj70
Old 12-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Current Member

Quote:

Nowhere near as bad as I remember, but it was jarring at the time beside shit like Pass the Mic etc.

Actually quite enjoyable.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 12-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Current Member

Quote:
did B-Boys in the Cut get a early pre Zdar release? because this is def different than the Part Two version.

the review of HSCP1 said Bundt Cake was 21 seconds of a crisp drum break and snatches of cyber vocals. this version has the crisp drums but i don’t really hear any vocals.

i dunno guys, someone needs to get the scoop from the guy that uploaded this. i’d like to hear him out.
It’s either going to be a rip of the ‘combined’ version (most likely as the timing is off) or it’s a rip of the version Zane played from the UK press tour just before Yauch’s announcement.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 12-03-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Love this...

thank you Adam.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Ok, this is a perpetual problem for me as I don't seem to be able to grasp recording/sound reinforcement at all, but can someone explain how a mix like this can actually be made? There was a point where the vocals for Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun were laid over some other beat, but as far as I know the acapella for that track was never released. Does this DJ just have some exclusive access to instrumentals/acapellas? Is there a way to isolate vocals through a mixer or something? Or were these instrumentals/acapellas just released on some bootlegs I don't know about.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, this is a perpetual problem for me as I don't seem to be able to grasp recording/sound reinforcement at all, but can someone explain how a mix like this can actually be made? There was a point where the vocals for Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun were laid over some other beat, but as far as I know the acapella for that track was never released. Does this DJ just have some exclusive access to instrumentals/acapellas? Is there a way to isolate vocals through a mixer or something? Or were these instrumentals/acapellas just released on some bootlegs I don't know about.
Z-Trip is a very high-profile DJ so there is a very good chance that he may have access to certain tracks or even components of the tracks ("stems") directly from the Beastie Boys. I suspect that's how he got the early version of "Make Some Noise". Even back in the old days, DJs would get advanced a cappellas so that they could remix tracks for official remixes. So, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill fame got the a cappella of "So What Cha Want" back in 92 and used that to create his remix for the single. There are also a good amount of "unreleased" instrumentals floating around that were obtained from concert/show vinyl that ended up in collectors' hands. Also, the Beasties self-released a lot of a cappella trough this website some time ago (Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun was one of them).

It used to be that DJs would have to track down the vinyl and piece these mixes together (either live using turntables, or on a multi-track recorder) directly from the vinyl. So, for example, you can get the instrumental version of a track and put the a cappella from another track over that. There are tons of tricks. You can create "instrumentals" by manual looping of parts of the track turntables. Or, you can track down the source samples and use those. You're basically just tempo-matching the sounds and bringing them in and out in much the same way that hip hop tracks are produced in the first place.

Now that DJs have digital tools, they can piece together audio from any source and the sharing of digital files is really easy. You no longer have to track down concert vinyl with only 10 copies in existence to get instrumentals. You can just download the file and put it into your digital djing program and control it just like it was vinyl.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Don't know if this helps you conceptualize the process, but here is the into to an 80s mix I did. The video shows what records I used and when they come in and out of the mix so that you can visualize how the audio-mix was created. Pretty much all DJs mixes use similar concepts when putting together a mix.

https://youtu.be/WjziRqW9HoM
Old 12-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Missed this the first time, thanks a lot.

I like and possibly prefer the OG mix, but I can certainly appreciate what Zdar brought to the table.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Missed this the first time, thanks a lot.

I like and possibly prefer the OG mix, but I can certainly appreciate what Zdar brought to the table.
the mixing in the pre Zadar cuts sound closer to the Mario C days and that’s why i think i prefer them. i really wish they would put out a Mario mix of HSC and call it Part One.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
It’s either going to be a rip of the ‘combined’ version (most likely as the timing is off) or it’s a rip of the version Zane played from the UK press tour just before Yauch’s announcement.
I spoke with the dude from Beastie Collection. These tracks came from a torrent site. They are a combo of tracks from different sources. I put together a list of tracks very similar to this many years ago, but didn't create this torrent. I asked him if he wants me to send him the source tracks for the project I worked on along with the info for the source audio for all of them. He thought that was a cool idea, so he'll be posting the "complete" version that I envisioned from 2011. That seemed easier than trying to back into where each version of the one he currently has posted came from. So look out for those if you are interested.

But, yeah, it isn't a "leak" or any type of official version of HSCP1. Mystery solved.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
the mixing in the pre Zadar cuts sound closer to the Mario C days and that’s why i think i prefer them.
Yeah. For an album that is effectively driven by the same sprit as those 90s Mario C albums, it's a superior mix for me. Make Some Noise sounds rawer and all the better for it.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:36 AM
crazy sniffable

the original mixdown that the boys did themselves was really dark and muddy. and while Zdar’s mix was a large improvement, i also feel like the sub frequencies are a little out of control, and unnatural. that was likely by the boys’ request though, and a result of them recording it themselves. i think Zdar was ultimately called in on a rescue mission to try and squeeze the most he could out of the raw tracks. likely why it sounds so compressed too, and the low end so manufactured sounding.

all and all, one of my lesser liked records of their’s from a sonic standpoint. it was gratifying to hear Adam express his respect for Mario in the book, and admit they would have been better off enlisting him on later projects.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Z-Trip is a very high-profile DJ so there is a very good chance that he may have access to certain tracks or even components of the tracks ("stems") directly from the Beastie Boys. I suspect that's how he got the early version of "Make Some Noise". Even back in the old days, DJs would get advanced a cappellas so that they could remix tracks for official remixes. So, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill fame got the a cappella of "So What Cha Want" back in 92 and used that to create his remix for the single. There are also a good amount of "unreleased" instrumentals floating around that were obtained from concert/show vinyl that ended up in collectors' hands. Also, the Beasties self-released a lot of a cappella trough this website some time ago (Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun was one of them).

It used to be that DJs would have to track down the vinyl and piece these mixes together (either live using turntables, or on a multi-track recorder) directly from the vinyl. So, for example, you can get the instrumental version of a track and put the a cappella from another track over that. There are tons of tricks. You can create "instrumentals" by manual looping of parts of the track turntables. Or, you can track down the source samples and use those. You're basically just tempo-matching the sounds and bringing them in and out in much the same way that hip hop tracks are produced in the first place.

Now that DJs have digital tools, they can piece together audio from any source and the sharing of digital files is really easy. You no longer have to track down concert vinyl with only 10 copies in existence to get instrumentals. You can just download the file and put it into your digital djing program and control it just like it was vinyl.

Thanks for this detailed explanation. That's kind of what I assumed, but wasn't sure if that's still how it worked, albeit without the endless searching for show vinyl like you said. I have a pretty big and pretty useless collection of singles from back in the day when I'd want to get the instrumentals to something and the only way to get them was to find a 12" that usually had the LP version, clean version, instrumental, and acapella.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:23 AM
ps I love you

Quote:
Thanks for this detailed explanation. That's kind of what I assumed, but wasn't sure if that's still how it worked, albeit without the endless searching for show vinyl like you said. I have a pretty big and pretty useless collection of singles from back in the day when I'd want to get the instrumentals to something and the only way to get them was to find a 12" that usually had the LP version, clean version, instrumental, and acapella.
You can isolate vocals to create an accapella by playing the instrumental and album version over each other and phasing out the instruments. It only works if the mix is the same on the normal version and instrumentals. I made heaps of accapellas this way, but it doesn't always work well. At the very least you can make some isolated vocals and alternative mixes.

If there's any Beastie Boys stuff you want acapellas for I can try and make some as long as there's an instrumental version available too.

It's a Lion....YEA!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
I spoke with the dude from Beastie Collection. These tracks came from a torrent site. They are a combo of tracks from different sources. I put together a list of tracks very similar to this many years ago, but didn't create this torrent. I asked him if he wants me to send him the source tracks for the project I worked on along with the info for the source audio for all of them. He thought that was a cool idea, so he'll be posting the "complete" version that I envisioned from 2011. That seemed easier than trying to back into where each version of the one he currently has posted came from. So look out for those if you are interested.

But, yeah, it isn't a "leak" or any type of official version of HSCP1. Mystery solved.
And... here it is

I think that this playlist can be fun for anyone. It pretty much archives everything that was relevant as far as HSCP1 or HSCP2. It's a story that fans, collectors, re-mixers, archivists, and historians can appreciate at any level.

If you wanna spend 2 minutes finding something to listen to, you can.
If you wanna spend an hour revisiting a particular song or two, you can.
If you wanna spend 7 hours listening to the entire playlist, you can.

Whichever you pick is probably going to be fun.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:31 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
And... here it is

wow! thank you.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:

I don't think I remember hearing this before. I like it! Maybe more than the original version or maybe because it's just something different.

I also prefer the og version of Too Many Rappers. I would love to hear the pre Zadar mixes and the original lyrics too.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Do you know if this is legit not?

A straight yes or no would be appreciated, and refreshing!
No.

I wondered the same thing. So I asked. It is actually a pretty cool story about how he found a torrent back in the day and downloaded it and just let it keep running for 5 or so years. When the torrent actually downloaded it was password protected so he spent another long while trying to get other people to break the code so he could hear the files. Sadly, that didn't work, so he actually took whatever time was needed going through probable passwords until he tried tadlocksglasses and hacked the protected password. Then he did what most of us would have done and shared it.

I thought it was a cool story. He's since added a more comprehensive playlist that tells a larger story.