Old 04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

Default What browser are you using?

My main browser is Firefox 3.6.3 (and Thunderbird), but also testing out Seamonkey (Mozilla), and Opera.

If you're using Firefox and like to test betas, here's directory of OS options for 3.7 - oddly I found this while searching for "MineField" which I believe was an older trimmed down Mozilla browser.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/

unbeknownst to the casual internet user, there are tons of options depending on your preferences, OS, and security.

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/de...sers_list.php3

Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to be one

Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Teflon Man

Default Re: What browser are you using?

Chrome. I do like.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:58 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

Have you heard of or tried Comodo Dragon or SRware Iron? They both run on the chromium platform (very similar styles as well)

Comodo is a software security and firewall company so supposedly they are touting the browser as exceptionally secure

Chrome is supposedly one of the faster of the browsers - I think this all depends on your hardware and Internet connection, cuz my FF is pretty quick even with a bunch of add-ons.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvete View Post
Chrome. I do like.
Yes, Chrome is the way to go.

oh.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ahead

Safari. I do like Firefox, though. Just installed it for friends yesterday who were having browser problems.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM
not punk enough

Chrome is nice but I mainly use Firefox because it seems to be smoother in my Linux netbook I use 99% of the time. Chrome just doesn't fit right in it.

I also use Epiphany for the times I need two different browsers running
Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
MCA 1964 - 2012

Epiphany? Interesting...looks like it would be best for Linux, no frills type of browser.

Safari just didn't cut it for me in Windows - very popular with Mac users obviously - wasn't fond of going through the menus to get to certain things....oddly IE isn't as popular with MS users though. There are clones such as ICab and Camino as well.

What are the benefits of Chrome over Firefox? When I tested Chrome I had a shitload of crashes, I do believe they were going through a build update so I think the copy I had was unstable. Does it have much customization/add-ons/extensions.

Chrome and FF seem to be leading the pack in popularity for windows users. FF 3.7 definitely has some suspicious looking elements like Chrome - But it's user options appear to surpass the competition. I have some great extensions that make browsing feel much more intuitive.

Opera - Tabbed browsing like Chrome (but with extendable tabs which display the site in the tab. Speed Dial is cool, sorta like Foxtab and Safari's funky window tabbing system (also seen with other Mac products and windows Aero). I really prefer the UI over Chrome's UI.

Seamonkey is still in the works and feels the heaviest - the mail client is just a dumbed down version of Thunderbird. Limited add-ons compared to Firefox/Thunderbird. This is undoubtedly a development tool, but apparently very stable, could lead to an all-in-one Firefox or continue on it's own. Mozilla has seen a few different models go through it's development.

Beyond the popular and most powerful are a shitload of other browsers who may never see the screens of the casual user. I'm sure some of them excel in certain aspects of internet usage like web development, social networking, graphics, and overall entertaining value - maybe some are just to increase market share of a development firm or as an opportunity to show something unique within it's own shell before being sold off to the highest bidder.