Old 04-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Monkey News

Default Re: biking

Honestly that bike is a little style over substance. specifically made to appeal to too cool for school hipsters with money to burn. so it's grossly overpriced. especially considering its lack of drivetrain components since it's a single speed. you can get a much better/more comfortable/faster/durable bike in that price range it just won't be as classic and pretty or cool.

it gets it's classic look from using out dated engineering.

It's definitely not a bad bike but you can do better for the price.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Monkey News

http://s986.photobucket.com/user/Roo...zvqfs.jpg.html

That^ is a very appropriate city bike. I built this one up myself but you can get something similar to that in any decent bike shop from around $500-$700 considering components.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 AM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBerglar View Post
Honestly that bike is a little style over substance. specifically made to appeal to too cool for school hipsters with money to burn. so it's grossly overpriced. especially considering its lack of drivetrain components since it's a single speed. you can get a much better/more comfortable/faster/durable bike in that price range it just won't be as classic and pretty or cool.

it gets it's classic look from using out dated engineering.

It's definitely not a bad bike but you can do better for the price.
Ok, interesting take. I didn't realize it was for hipsters. Saw it in a shop on sale, liked the green, but thought maybe had too many logos.

I do want a single speed. I don't know if I can give up the classic look, but maybe I should for performance sake. I should talk to my friend who is a bike mechanic. I could just get something built. I don't know why I haven't. Just seems intimidating for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Monkey News

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bi.../allant/c/B445

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bi...ikes/fx/c/B421

Those two bikes are perfect for city riding. I especially like the Allant 7.2 because of the disc brakes. disc brakes are a HUGE improvement especially in the wet. water and rain has no effect on them whatsoever. if you don't want to spend the 600 for the base model Allant, the FX is basically the same thing minus the disc brakes. If you scroll though the page the base model FX is like 400 bucks and a totally fine bike that will last forever. the FX range also offers frames that are specifically designed for women's proportions. I'm not talking about the sloped top tube models. there's no point to that other than to appeal to people who want a "girls" bike. it's actually less than ideal to build a frame like that.

every major bike manufacturer that you'd find in a proper bike shop pretty much offers the same thing. doesn't really matter which manufacturer you go with, they essentially all offer the same things.

Single speeds are tough because they're kinda niche and trendy right now. there's always a markup on ANYTHING niche and trendy. or the complete opposite of making a totally crap bike that's a single speed/fixie hoping that its trendiness with be the appealing factor of selling it to unsuspecting people who think they're getting a neat and nifty and cool bike.

STAY AWAY FROM FIXIES. no point whatsoever in a bike that doesn't have a freewheel and can't coast and you have to pedal at all times. I don't get it at all.

building up a bike will cost a lot more but you'll get exactly what you want.

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 04-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 AM
just here for the .gifs

Yeah I'll stay away from fixies. I like pedaling backward too much, when I can't I feel like I'm stuck and I'm gonna fall down.

I just have to go talk to the bike guy. He built up a bike for my dude for around 400. Vintage frame that is weirdly lightweight, single speed, pretty generic wheels, but good quality. It's fast, I have a hard time keeping up.

I for some reason can't get the hang of changing gears, I just like bikes to feel consistent. I will probably keep my bike with gears for a winter beater. I was able to ride most of the winter this year, but I'm destroying the bike. :/

Quote:
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Monkey News

if you can get a pieced together quality vintage bike with Shimano or Campagnolo(campy) components built by an actually bike tech for 400 bucks in good condition, don't fucking hesitate.

have you ever used newer shifters? they're incredibly easy and smooth to use.

Road Shifters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYzVjWDJy0

Mountain Shifters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dil-Lyr3bPI

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 04-07-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Monkey News

Just bought this:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.co...38-960-540.jpg

Got a really good deal on it because it was last years model and is a weird color(they call it snozzberry).
Old 06-21-2016, 08:43 PM
good reactions, etc?

i started biking and it kind of rules

i was scared of it for a long time because boston streets/drivers are awful, just awful, but i've dipped my toes into the water with hubway (those public short term commuter rental bikes all over the city) and i'm gonna get a bike of my own soon

it's nice because i live 7 miles away from work, which is a good distance for biking and now i can get decent exercise just from commuting

haven't had any "oh shit i'm going to die" moments yet and i've been at it long enough to get some confidence

basically the trick is to know that 99% of cars are going to do their best to avoid killing you (if only to avoid the paperwork) and to just keep your eyes open for the other 1% and ready to dodge
Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBerglar View Post
if you can get a pieced together quality vintage bike with Shimano or Campagnolo(campy) components built by an actually bike tech for 400 bucks in good condition, don't fucking hesitate.

have you ever used newer shifters? they're incredibly easy and smooth to use.

Road Shifters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YYzVjWDJy0

Mountain Shifters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dil-Lyr3bPI

I have the road shifters, I still never use them! ha. Actually now one is fucked because someone hit my bike when it was locked up outside during a storm. I need a new bike soon, I just keep putting it off because my bike, even beat up, is still rolling along just fine. I just like the geometry of it. I have thought about getting some kind of heavier duty bike simply because the city streets are so rough. I feel like I'm riding on an obstacle course, a really shitty obstacle course. Fuckin rocks and crags and potholes, sink holes, sand pits, dust. Whoever is in charge of repairing the roads under this mayoral administration should be fired and banished from working in the field again. Just shameful.

Glad you're biking, Bob!

Quote:

Old 06-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Monkey News

The bike I jus bought is a cyclo-cross bike(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross_bicycle). It's essentially a road bike that's just a bit sturdier and slacker(not as twitchy). Cyclo-cross bikes also have the frame clearance for fatter tires to help smooth out the bumps and pot holes.

I have yet to see a basic model though. They're all kinda high end. I was able to get mine for $800. Down from $1100 because it was last years model and nobody wanted it because it's fucking some kind of weird purple color.

The bike is definitely worth it. I fucking love it. It's so smooth and solid and can take a beating compared to a full blown road bike.

Cyclo-cross bikes make real good city bikes.

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 06-25-2016 at 08:44 AM.