Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
just here for the .gifs

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJIM View Post
Yes to a person with problems with cognitive dissonance and suspension of disbelief not to mention a shallow understanding of the fundamentals of storytelling.

Not liking a genre like fantasy because you don't understand the merits of a certain genre and think it's "too fake" is a pretty dumb reason.

Really Turd, I'm just glad you don't write entertainment. It would be logical boring drivel.

Happy Bob?
You're mistaken if you think being unable to suspend disbelief is lack of understanding. It's the opposite, it's so much understanding that one doesn't tend to give a shit about the outcome of the story.

Plus I spent money and time learning to write for entertainment and I entertain people regularly. I know what a good story is. I graduated on top, and my graduating project was brought back to the stage for a best of the year revue, chosen from hundreds of scenes.

You are obsessed with fictional characters, that is fine. It is also fine to not care about fictional characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
just here for the .gifs

And also, Breaking Bad lost me on the bathtub being eaten away by acid scene...that just simply never would've happened. Just a terrible idea, never would've happened. Wouldn't have even been possible to clean. No fumes...and, the acid eats through a floor but not a flimsy plastic tub? Please.

Quote:
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM
doubts your commitment

It's not the thickness of the plastic! It's because the plastic loaded with fluorocarbons which are resistant to hydrofluoric acid, unlike wood and such.

Reading some conflicting things, but apparently hydrofluoric acid isn't all that great at dissolving flesh anyway. I suppose it depends on the concentration. Lye is better at getting rid of a body

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Last edited by cosmo105 : 10-22-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM
doubts your commitment

also i never really got all that into BB but definitely can see how it became so culturally significant.

the wire was better

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
good reactions, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
And also, Breaking Bad lost me on the bathtub being eaten away by acid scene...that just simply never would've happened. Just a terrible idea, never would've happened. Wouldn't have even been possible to clean. No fumes...and, the acid eats through a floor but not a flimsy plastic tub? Please.
see, this is frustrating to me, because i don't think it's a good reason to dismiss the show.

if breaking bad were a chemistry documentary, i'd say "sure, it's a bad show, it gets a lot of the science wrong and you shouldn't watch it" but it's not. the science isn't important, it isn't about the science, it's about the characters and their relationship with each other.

the hydrofluoric acid scene isn't supposed to be interesting because of the science facts it teaches you about chemistry, it's supposed to be interesting because of the things it teaches you about the characters. it shows how walt likes to take control of situations, and how jesse's hasty, lazy, and dismissive, and how he chooses to ignore walt's careful instructions and just dumps him in the bathtub. then we see the consequences of that choice, and how the characters grow as a result.

maybe the chemistry's wrong. who cares. it's a drama, not a documentary. i know art is open to interpretation and whatever but just...rggg, dismissing it because of scientific inaccuracies is almost definitely the wrong way to watch it, that bugs the hell out of me

if you dislike it because you don't think the characters behave realistically, and that takes you out of it, then that's fine; i would respectfully disagree with you on that point but respect your opinion about it all the same.

but the science, the science isn't important, it isn't the point, i would urge you not to worry about that or let it get in the way of your potential enjoyment of a fictional show

if i can have a law degree and still enjoy law & order SVU then there's no reason you can't suspend your disbelief for breaking bad
Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Tella Tillas

would be great if they got the chemistry facts straight especially when the main character plays a chemistry teacher but it is still a fantastic show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim wont fix it View Post
Hitler was RIGHT wing you stupid fuckbeast

Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Monkey News

the original law and order I liked. it's subdued compared to the newer law shows that are all trying to emulate the original law and order. the newer ones are all so over dramatic and campy. especially with their glaringly over done forensics and scenarios.

it seems in order to make a new show stand out from older ones they need to turn everything up a few notches rather than actually try something new. it's like 80's hair metal. HEY LETS DO ALL THE THINGS THEY DID FIFTEEN YEARS AGO BUT WAY OVER THE TOP! PEOPLE WILL NOTICE US!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105 View Post
It's not the thickness of the plastic! It's because the plastic loaded with fluorocarbons which are resistant to hydrofluoric acid, unlike wood and such.

Reading some conflicting things, but apparently hydrofluoric acid isn't all that great at dissolving flesh anyway. I suppose it depends on the concentration. Lye is better at getting rid of a body
I just mean there are probably plastic elements or fluorocarbons and preservatives in flooring and it ate through those just fine. Wood for building is not just plain wood, it's usually treated to resist degradation.

Anyway the whole thing seemed false and was gross for the sake of gross and annoying and ultimately boring to watch.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
see, this is frustrating to me, because i don't think it's a good reason to dismiss the show.

if breaking bad were a chemistry documentary, i'd say "sure, it's a bad show, it gets a lot of the science wrong and you shouldn't watch it" but it's not. the science isn't important, it isn't about the science, it's about the characters and their relationship with each other.

the hydrofluoric acid scene isn't supposed to be interesting because of the science facts it teaches you about chemistry, it's supposed to be interesting because of the things it teaches you about the characters. it shows how walt likes to take control of situations, and how jesse's hasty, lazy, and dismissive, and how he chooses to ignore walt's careful instructions and just dumps him in the bathtub. then we see the consequences of that choice, and how the characters grow as a result.

maybe the chemistry's wrong. who cares. it's a drama, not a documentary. i know art is open to interpretation and whatever but just...rggg, dismissing it because of scientific inaccuracies is almost definitely the wrong way to watch it, that bugs the hell out of me

if you dislike it because you don't think the characters behave realistically, and that takes you out of it, then that's fine; i would respectfully disagree with you on that point but respect your opinion about it all the same.

but the science, the science isn't important, it isn't the point, i would urge you not to worry about that or let it get in the way of your potential enjoyment of a fictional show

if i can have a law degree and still enjoy law & order SVU then there's no reason you can't suspend your disbelief for breaking bad
I don't know why it has to be frustrating for you that I find the show annoying. I have enjoyed certain things about the show, but overall I get irritated by the inaccuracies. I'm not sitting there trying to find inaccuracies, they just present themselves and are distracting.

SVU isn't really held up on a pedestal like Breaking Bad is, so watching is a different experience. Breaking Bad wants people to take it seriously, and I just don't. I don't like it. That doesn't make me stupid. And it doesn't make people who like it stupid, it's just different taste.

Let's see if I can explain another way...it's like when I was a kid, and playing Barbies. My friends would often want to have the dolls talk and do things, but I wasn't into that, I spent hours working on setting up their houses, or making clothes for them. I like details, I don't care as much about relationships and talking and blah blah whatever. So, to apply that to my adult interests: when I watch tv, I'm watching everything...the clothes, the hairstyles, the lighting, the music...character's faces, their body shapes, the cars they drive...and the physicality and practicality of a scene. And how it all relates to the truth of that scene. I find Breaking Bad to be lacking truth in a big enough way that I don't enjoy watching it. I'd rather watch something else*, or not watch t.v.

*Like, The Wire! I really do love The Wire, and it has some dumb things about it (Prez is a really bad teacher and the straight female characters are lame, etc.), but it has more truth and heft to the drama. Also it's funny sometimes.

anyway who cares

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM
there it is

meth sucks.. the show sucks..
hal is so much better!

'He wouldn't say he cared at all if you asked him
You're heading for a fall brother, it goes right past him
In another world, he's in another place
You know the need for speed's just another form of greed

But when your Jones and your brains frozen
You're not thinkin' 'bout the choices you're makin'
You're just rollin' on and on, it's anybody's guess
'Cuz no one's at the wheel, at the front of that mess, yes

The sun is goin' down for me, it's goin' down for me
He and she are what I need, yes, they're what I need
But I'm gonna buy a ticket, I'm not gonna even pick it
I heard it, he said it, I heard it, but it went, but it went, something like

Visit, I wanna visit the world
So now I visit the world
With my time on this world

Because livin' when you're hungry is a dog in an alley
Now I mind my business 'cuz I'm rhymin' down in Cali
I ain't playin' when sayin', kings of the ghetto feel they losin' ground
Vato's goin' loco because everyone's brought down

This is a visit, then we dead, fade to dust stricken
I'm wearin' my Doc Martens 'cuz I'm always down for kickin'
This, my friend, the city pity, everywhere the enemy
Ready or not homey stompin', everyone in front of me

Jump up and down 'cus that's the 311 style
Cruise on by the frowners, float, follow me now with a smile
Lookin' at the ocean I see there's plenty
Lookin' at the river I see there's plenty

So visit, I wanna visit the world
So now I visit the world
With my time on this world...'

Last edited by ericg : 10-23-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: somehow this song applies in places
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: Breaking Bad

Quote:
SVU isn't really held up on a pedestal like Breaking Bad is, so watching is a different experience. Breaking Bad wants people to take it seriously, and I just don't. I don't like it. That doesn't make me stupid. And it doesn't make people who like it stupid, it's just different taste.
Total bullshit. To me Breaking Bad is ridiculous all the way through, and they clearly know it. Those guys (the writers) aren't dumb, although they do cater to dumb people in places. It's very entertaining, if not on the same level intellectually as The Wire, The Sopranos etc etc.

Anyway like the quote above shows, you're just hating cuz it's popular and you think you're cooler/smarter than everyone else. You're basically being Daria about the whole thing.

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 10-23-2013, 12:31 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
Total bullshit. To me Breaking Bad is ridiculous all the way through, and they clearly know it. Those guys (the writers) aren't dumb, although they do cater to dumb people in places. It's very entertaining, if not on the same level intellectually as The Wire, The Sopranos etc etc.

Anyway like the quote above shows, you're just hating cuz it's popular and you think you're cooler/smarter than everyone else. You're basically being Daria about the whole thing.
I'm not hating because it's popular, I'm hating because I don't think it deserves so much critical acclaim. A friend of mine said something like "I finished Breaking Bad and had fun, but don't try to tell me that trash was art."

I've never personally attacked anyone in this thread for liking the show, but have been subject to personal insults for not liking it. That doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Basketball Jones

Maybe you just shouldn't post in a thread that's about a television show you aren't even interested in. That seems logical. It's a good way to avoid getting attacked on a message board.

I have to return some video tapes.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm back.

Quote:

This.

Quote:
I don't care as much about relationships and talking and blah blah whatever.
Quote:
Plus I spent money and time learning to write for entertainment and I entertain people regularly. I know what a good story is. I graduated on top, and my graduating project was brought back to the stage for a best of the year revue, chosen from hundreds of scenes.

You are obsessed with fictional characters, that is fine. It is also fine to not care about fictional characters.
I'm sure the set design was great, Tim Burton.

Don't complain about personal attacks and then in so many words imply clearly that I'm stupid. You hold yourself and your opinion above me because you paid for your education and de-value whatever knowledge I may have picked up myself along the way. That's pretty snooty and rude. Obsessed with fictional characters? You mean the reason anything is written at all? There is only one story to be told after thousands of years of storytelling and it's mostly self discovery and human interaction.

If I want to discuss some black and white student film about a fat guy farting on a croissant, I'll defer to you. But if you want to get into a pop culture dick measuring contest don't expect people to wonder why you're even commenting about the subject in the first place.

You're certainly welcome to have your opinion, it's just that it seems you still have some weird dismissive tone.

You're right though, who cares?

tl:dr [/internet]

Last edited by ProfJIM : 10-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
technically insane

It is all good man

It's all good man

S'all good man

Saul Goodman

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
Maybe you just shouldn't post in a thread that's about a television show you aren't even interested in. That seems logical. It's a good way to avoid getting attacked on a message board.
I'm interested in talking about why people are so interested in it. I don't think anyone needs to take my criticism of the show personally.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJIM View Post
This.

I'm sure the set design was great, Tim Burton.

Don't complain about personal attacks and then in so many words imply clearly that I'm stupid. You hold yourself and your opinion above me because you paid for your education and de-value whatever knowledge I may have picked up myself along the way. That's pretty snooty and rude. Obsessed with fictional characters? You mean the reason anything is written at all? There is only one story to be told after thousands of years of storytelling and it's mostly self discovery and human interaction.

If I want to discuss some black and white student film about a fat guy farting on a croissant, I'll defer to you. But if you want to get into a pop culture dick measuring contest don't expect people to wonder why you're even commenting about the subject in the first place.

You're certainly welcome to have your opinion, it's just that it seems you still have some weird dismissive tone.

You're right though, who cares?

tl:dr [/internet]
dude, you're the one calling people dumb and stupid. And you're practically yelling at me, your statements are dripping with attitude. I didn't call you stupid...I just think that you love fiction, and that you're taking it personally that other people aren't invested in the same kinds of stories you are.

I sound dismissive because I find your "you just don't get it" argument irritating. I get it, don't worry.

Actually, though, I don't get this:
"If I want to discuss some black and white student film about a fat guy farting on a croissant, I'll defer to you. But if you want to get into a pop culture dick measuring contest don't expect people to wonder why you're even commenting about the subject in the first place."

I don't even know what this means. I learned how to write for stage and t.v., mainstream shit. And who has a dick out? how do you measure a pop culture dick? I'm not even talking about pop culture, I'm only talking about not enjoying a show because I find it too implausible and I don't connect to the characters.

So far, all the "explanations" everyone is giving me are things I already know. I'm sorry if I sound like a dick, I'm just trying to make conversation. Guess I was out of line? didn't realize everyone would flip the fuck out over this.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm back.

It's cool. You're not out of line. Just I guess a few of us really connected and it's hard to understand your position. You're in a thread about a pop culture show and then you had to mention to went to school, which made me feel like you were being braggy and I pictured a couple of the flim school nerds I can't stand that pretend they know everything and hate mainstream anything. Plus to me, some of your logic doesn't make sense. Then you said you "know story" but also said you don't care about characters...wat?

*shrugs*

Different tastes, just like you said.

Last edited by ProfJIM : 10-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
just here for the .gifs

Regarding my training...if I was trying to be braggy, I would've brought it up right out of the gate and named names. I was trying to defend my intelligence and experience with a concrete example, that's all.

Quote:

"Plus to me, some of your logic doesn't make sense. Then you said you "know story" but also said you don't care about characters...wat?"
Hmm. well, I guess I mean if the story was stronger I probably wouldn't be distracted by the character and practicality issues. Which brings me back to my original criticism, bad writing. Maybe it's purposefully schlocky/outrageous?...I guess that's possible.

really I am just here to shoot the shit and have a lively debate. I am a snob, sure, but I'm not mean.

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
good reactions, etc?

first, sorry if i came off harsh in my earlier post (got drunk, sorry)

second, the reason i was frustrated is because it sounded like you were dismissing the show for bad reasons (found the science to be inaccurate, which isn't the point of the show), rather than reasonable ones (can't connect to the characters, don't think they behave believably, which is the point of the show, and i'm totally cool with you not liking it for that reason even though i don't agree with you personally)

it just kind of felt like someone voting for one president because the other one wears tacky suits or had big ears--not the point that one should be making their decision over!

but it sounds like you've got deeper issues with the show that do make sense to me so that's cool, it don't matter
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Tella Tillas

atleast she defends miley cyrus, you have to give her that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim wont fix it View Post
Hitler was RIGHT wing you stupid fuckbeast

Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Smart

Quote:
Maybe it's purposefully schlocky/outrageous?...I guess that's possible.
It is, and I believe I addressed that in my above post to you?

Either way, it's an entertaining and well thought-out show. It's not Pinter and it clearly isn't supposed to be. It's just a TV show designed to make as many people like it as possible. Which obviously means it isn't catered towards hypercriticism and won't stand up to it... so why bother? Just enjoy the good parts, fuck.

Also your friend who said "don't try to tell me that trash was art" is a pretentious douchebag. They watched it, and had fun. It's art, that's what art does.

Last edited by Lex Diamonds : 10-24-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
It is, and I believe I addressed that in my above post to you?

Either way, it's an entertaining and well thought-out show. It's not Pinter and it clearly isn't supposed to be. It's just a TV show designed to make as many people like it as possible. Which obviously means it isn't catered towards hypercriticism and won't stand up to it... so why bother? Just enjoy the good parts, fuck.

Also your friend who said "don't try to tell me that trash was art" is a pretentious douchebag. They watched it, and had fun. It's art, that's what art does.
You did address it, my apologies for not explicitly referencing you.

I understand that you find the show entertaining, and I have also found the show to be entertaining, but not entertaining enough to keep me watching. I feel like I've explained that in ten different ways.

There's a difference between pretentious and discerning. There's a difference between art and entertainment. It's clear that you don't think so, you generally criticize almost anything I say, and you believe you are the final authority, so we are at an impasse.

Quote:

Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
first, sorry if i came off harsh in my earlier post (got drunk, sorry)

second, the reason i was frustrated is because it sounded like you were dismissing the show for bad reasons (found the science to be inaccurate, which isn't the point of the show), rather than reasonable ones (can't connect to the characters, don't think they behave believably, which is the point of the show, and i'm totally cool with you not liking it for that reason even though i don't agree with you personally)

it just kind of felt like someone voting for one president because the other one wears tacky suits or had big ears--not the point that one should be making their decision over!

but it sounds like you've got deeper issues with the show that do make sense to me so that's cool, it don't matter
Ok thanks for understanding. But you gotta admit they kinda set themselves up for being scientifically accurate, what with the periodic table font and all the lab stuff. And like randy said, Walt's a science teacher. Anyway....

Quote:

Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Smart

Quote:
You did address it, my apologies for not explicitly referencing you.

I understand that you find the show entertaining, and I have also found the show to be entertaining, but not entertaining enough to keep me watching. I feel like I've explained that in ten different ways.

There's a difference between pretentious and discerning. There's a difference between art and entertainment. It's clear that you don't think so, you generally criticize almost anything I say, and you believe you are the final authority, so we are at an impasse.
Don't be so passive aggressive- there's no need to put words in my mouth. Why would I believe I was the final authority and then engage in a debate? That would be really stupid. I'm just applying my own aggressive logic in response to what you're saying, that shouldn't cause you to back down or launch a personal attack on me.

I genuinely think that television drama is included as one of "the arts", although you being an American I can understand why you would feel differently, the amount of bullshit you guys are subjected to. I know people in the UK television industry and they take their art very seriously, even if the end product is whimsical or "schlocky" or whatever you feel to call it.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm back.

Both TV and American movie making are very important arts. They are part of our cultural fabric.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
just here for the .gifs

Shut the fuck up, you arrogant piece of shit.

How was that? Still too passive? Am I saying the right thing yet?

Quote:

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm back.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm back.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-breaking-bad

http://collider.com/breaking-bad-science/

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/23/144190...d-breaking-bad
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 PM
good reactions, etc?