Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 12-11-2020, 08:04 AM
technically insane

Default Dave Grohl and Greg Kurstin cover The Beastie Boys’ ‘Sabotage

for some reason this one got me.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/watch...dS2BJNR_pjRzjU

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 12-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Dave Grohl and Greg Kurstin cover The Beastie Boys’ ‘Sabotage

That's a really good and borderline obnoxious imitation of ad-rocks's vocals. But a very fun cover regardless.

message board

Old 12-11-2020, 10:08 PM

^ haha yes!!

i think that knowing the story of the song makes the way adrock sings it much funnier.
was it, basically, he's mad at mario c in the booth for fucking with his takes?

instrumentally the most interesting Sabotage cover I've heard.
I really like the keyboard in place of the bass/guitar
Old 12-13-2020, 10:37 PM
crazy sniffable

i thought he was mocking mario because mario was freaking out over certain hardware not operating correctly. he even unplugged something and threw it out the window at one point, i think.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-13-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
i thought he was mocking mario because mario was freaking out over certain hardware not operating correctly. he even unplugged something and threw it out the window at one point, i think.
When they did the anthology booklet in 99 (or whenever) I swear Ad-Rock told a story about paparazzi at River Phoenix's funeral and punching him out. And the song was at least in part about those feelings. But maybe I'm insane, or maybe he was joking about teh Mario thing?

My booklet is in storage somewhere. Somebody help me out, please.

message board

Old 12-14-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
When they did the anthology booklet in 99 (or whenever) I swear Ad-Rock told a story about paparazzi at River Phoenix's funeral and punching him out. And the song was at least in part about those feelings. But maybe I'm insane, or maybe he was joking about teh Mario thing?

none of that is in the Anthology booklet. in it is Adrock talking about how it was the first and last song they worked on for the album. a guy named Chris that ran Tin Pan Alley that heard them working on the song. Yauch was playing the fuzz bass part and Chris ran in and said “This is the shit, this shit rocks” and they named it Chris Rock after him. he said afterwards he did the vocals on a 8-track at Mario’s house.

from the Beastie Book, Adrock said "I decided that it'll be funny to write a song about how Mario was holding us all down, how he was trying to mess it all up, sabotaging our great works of art," "So one night I went to Mario's house, and he recorded me screaming words into a microphone over that track, all about some mysterious thorn in my side. The ubiquitous biters and the haters."
Old 12-14-2020, 08:00 AM

this article has some good info on Sabotage as well....

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...-boys-sabotage
Old 12-14-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
none of that is in the Anthology booklet. in it is Adrock talking about how it was the first and last song they worked on for the album. a guy named Chris that ran Tin Pan Alley that heard them working on the song. Yauch was playing the fuzz bass part and Chris ran in and said “This is the shit, this shit rocks” and they named it Chris Rock after him. he said afterwards he did the vocals on a 8-track at Mario’s house.

from the Beastie Book, Adrock said "I decided that it'll be funny to write a song about how Mario was holding us all down, how he was trying to mess it all up, sabotaging our great works of art," "So one night I went to Mario's house, and he recorded me screaming words into a microphone over that track, all about some mysterious thorn in my side. The ubiquitous biters and the haters."
Yeah I remember the Chris Rock story. And I remember that he recorded the vox at Mario's house. Weird. I don't know where that other story got into my head.

message board

Old 12-14-2020, 03:03 PM
crazy sniffable

aaah yes, now i recall. the bit about mario throwing the power strip out the window and proclaiming "god bless america" was included in the Sabotage chapter, but not directly related.

mario was growing more and more frustrated with the boys' indecisiveness and would constantly push them to 'finish something, anything'. so Adrock joked that he was trying to 'sabotage their works of art'.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

the whole Mario holding them down joke has to go way back cuz Adam jokes that Mario has a song called sabotage coming out at the beginning of this interview. that cant be a coincidence lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wnb1x913uY
Old 12-21-2020, 01:14 PM

^ whoa that is a great find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post

Ha! I wonder what that was about?
Old 12-21-2020, 01:27 PM

i always forget that Adrock accosted someone. i’ve never really thought of them getting in fights.

- A member of the Beastie Boys rap group pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanor battery charge in an attack on a television cameraman.

Adam Horovitz, 27, was sentenced to two years probation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service, pay a $200 fine and make restitution to victim Herbert Goebert.

Horovitz was accused of attacking Goebert, a cameraman for the television news magazine “Hard Copy,” during a Nov. 2 memorial service for actor River Phoenix. The service was held across the street from Horovitz’s Mt. Olympus home.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Theodore Loewen urged Municipal Judge L. Jeffrey Wiatt to sentence Horovitz to 30 days in jail. He said Horovitz and an unidentified man confronted Goebert and beat him when he refused to give them videotape he had taken of people arriving at the service for Phoenix, who died of a drug overdose.