Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
give me head till im dead

Default Life - Discovery Channel

Its more or less a Planet Earth part 2. But it's focus is more on things that live on the earth instead of the earth itself, duh.

Pretty cool shit, watch it on the HD and enjoy.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Life - Discovery Channel

I remember downloading all this in HD from the iplayer a while back but only watching one or two. I hear its done by Oprah for america?!

My Music // My Music Blog // My Deviant Art

Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Beasties#2fan

Watched it tonight in LD, pretty cool, they mentioned a few things they filmed that had never been filmed before. Pebble Toad, awesome!

I like it and all, but it just seems to skip from one critter to the next pretty quickly. I know it was a huge deal filming it all (3-Years) but I really like the ones where they concentrate on one thing for the entire show, be it a bird, frog, snake or what have you.

Still cool though.

www.Beastiemixes.com
Beastie Boys Remix Hosting/Downloads, Rare Tracks. blah, Blah, etc...
---------------------------
www.Beastieboyslive.com
Live Show Downloads

Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 AM
not punk enough

Its a good series yes. But earlier this year I was disturbed to learn that David Attenborough isn't the voice for all these OU & BBC documentaries in other countries. Just can't see it being the same and part of me is afraid to check it out.

Life is better then Planet Earth - which both are brilliant, thats how good it is.

There is another Series called Wonders of The Solar System currently on by Professor Brian Cox - who I've admired for a long time as to me as a lay person with an interest in such thing hits the right balance of science and explaining the obvious. Although he has done other stuff, first of real note I can remember by him. He is like Attenborough to physics - anyway, watch that to.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Daisy...

Brian Cox

I think he used to play keyboards in D:ream.

His current job is much better though. He is a particle physicist but seems to be making a career as the bbc's public face of physics and astronomy.

I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 23rd of April 2006.

I am, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence7 View Post
Watched it tonight in LD, pretty cool, they mentioned a few things they filmed that had never been filmed before. Pebble Toad, awesome!

I like it and all, but it just seems to skip from one critter to the next pretty quickly. I know it was a huge deal filming it all (3-Years) but I really like the ones where they concentrate on one thing for the entire show, be it a bird, frog, snake or what have you.

Still cool though.
that thing was cool as hell. things like that really just prove evolution. it fits its environment so well. its so slow, but because it doesnt have to be fast. it can just curl up in a little ball and roll down a mountain, which is surely faster then hopping along.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
wine then bed

NEAT!

Will set the Tivo. I am really too excited about this. Especially because we just purchased a sweet TV not long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105 View Post
Drowning in labia.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
just here for the .gifs

Just started watching Planet Earth (BBC version), it's pretty rad. I had crazy dreams about animals all night.

I heard on NPR that Life is pretty good, but it talks down to you too much. And that the american version with Oprah speaking makes the narration seem more like Desperate Housewives than a nature show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Daisy...

Wait..what?

Oprah is replacing David Attenborough? I associate her with The Secret, Anti-vaxers, and other such pseudo-science. It would be a surprise to hear her front a programme about Evolution unless they have made some major changes to the focus of the programme.

This is like having Woody Allen replace John Madden as commentator for the Super Bowl.

I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 23rd of April 2006.

I am, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
Wait..what?

Oprah is replacing David Attenborough? I associate her with The Secret, Anti-vaxers, and other such pseudo-science. It would be a surprise to hear her front a programme about Evolution unless they have made some major changes to the focus of the programme.

This is like having Woody Allen replace John Madden as commentator for the Super Bowl.
Oprah is the narrator for the american version of Life. Sigourney Weaver is the narrator for the american version of Planet Earth. (although, like I said, I have the Attenborough version, so I don't know how good or bad Weaver's narration is).

I'm guessing they had americans do the american version because of pronunciation differences? or perhaps there are different terms for things? the only difference I noticed so far was that David Attenborough pronounces "glacier" as GLA-see-ay instead of GLAY-sher.

Quote:
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
for your health

you NEED David Attenborough to narrate LIFE

it would not be the dame without him! AAAAAGH!

anyway,brilliant series everyone needs to watch for fuckin REAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
I've never been nor do I ever want to go to a party where dude takes his shirt off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDipDive View Post
I'm known to compliment a nice beard and I definitely have boobs and a vagina.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
not punk enough

Attenborough is a scientist - of sorts; he has done his time, study and research. Replacing with actors is too hollywood for my liking.

Surely americans can get over the british accent and the different way we say things? Rest of the world tolerate american sayings and spellings for ease. I know you guys here can because you're (mostly) intelligent, educated (to a standard) human (mostly) beings.

Sorry to rant, but the repackaging these brilliant pieces of television I think loses something.

Attenborough is one of my heroes, what I don't have on DVD I've downloaded his collection (about 20GB I'd guesstimate). If anyone is curious of checking out the same, PM me and I'll nudge you in the right direction.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Attenborough is a scientist - of sorts; he has done his time, study and research. Replacing with actors is too hollywood for my liking.

Surely americans can get over the british accent and the different way we say things? Rest of the world tolerate american sayings and spellings for ease. I know you guys here can because you're (mostly) intelligent, educated (to a standard) human (mostly) beings.

Sorry to rant, but the repackaging these brilliant pieces of television I think loses something.

Attenborough is one of my heroes, what I don't have on DVD I've downloaded his collection (about 20GB I'd guesstimate). If anyone is curious of checking out the same, PM me and I'll nudge you in the right direction.
from wiki:
Quote:
Actress and conservationist Sigourney Weaver was brought in to replace David Attenborough as narrator, as it was thought her familiarity to American audiences would attract more viewers.
nobody really asked for it, and I don't think it was completely necessary. Sigourney Weaver seems like a good egg, I don't mind that she did the american version. But choosing Oprah for Life seems like they're trying too hard.

Quote:

Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

i would prefer the brit as it makes it sound classier.

but oprah (and signory for PE) do a good enough job. they keep it rather monitone so they dont detract from what your watching. you know its them, but you get lost in their voice after a while and just hear the words instead of the voice, if that make sense.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Daisy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
Oprah is the narrator for the american version of Life. Sigourney Weaver is the narrator for the american version of Planet Earth. (although, like I said, I have the Attenborough version, so I don't know how good or bad Weaver's narration is).

I'm guessing they had americans do the american version because of pronunciation differences? or perhaps there are different terms for things? the only difference I noticed so far was that David Attenborough pronounces "glacier" as GLA-see-ay instead of GLAY-sher.
I can understand bringing in an American accent, my concern would be that celebrity narrators would bring with them a load of political backage that would require editorial changes. The various Attenborough fronted bbc series are fundamentally about evolution. Can Oprah speak about evolution without damaging her pseudoscience rep? I hope so, but also would not be surprised if the message of the programmes got changed. Hopefully I am being overly cynical.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
not punk enough

Oooh, they should get Glenn Beck to do the Darwin Tree of Life one.