Old 07-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Default "the Beastie Boys"

Obviously the band name is Beastie Boys and not "The Beastie Boys", but I've noticed in the recent press around the book and the movie that Adam and Mike (but especially Adam) will be really specific about never saying "the Beastie Boys". Adrock has referred to himself as "the guy from Beastie Boys" and gone off on how nobody says "The U2".

But you don't have to go back far into the band's history to hear or see them call themselves "the" Beastie Boys. In the title crawl for AIFST. In Mike's part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech ("We're the Beastie Boys from New York City"). I feel like most people would refer to Adam or Mike as "one of the Beastie Boys" and not "one of the members of Beastie Boys", even people that know the band isn't called The Beastie Boys.

Could there be some kind of legal reason they want to be especially clear about this? Or is this just a pet peeve of Adam's that he's been sitting on for years and is finally insisting on never using "the Beastie Boys" and calling out anyone that does? I know they've always been clear that the word "The" isn't part of the band name, but it feels weird to go after language that they themselves used many times over the years.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 07-10-2020, 06:04 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Default Re: "the Beastie Boys"

remember one of the older versions of the site had a faq or something like that? it said it's beastie boys not the beastie boys and if you're going to shorten it then it's bboys and not the beasties.

they haven't always followed their own preference when writing lyrics though
Old 07-11-2020, 07:32 AM

I think the "no The" thing is a bit of revisionist history by Adam. "The Beastie Boys" is all over the lyrics in Licensed to Ill and in that's how they referred to themselves in contemporaneous interviews through the 90s at least. At some point they decided that they were just "Beastie Boys," like "Bad Brains" as Adam puts it. But for him to say that it's always been just "Beastie Boys?" Yea, I don't know about that. Plus it's awkward to say it without the "The" sometimes. But whatever.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Adam has his issues, I have my issues for people who pronounce Yauch incorrectly, he only says his name in every song they ever wrote, or any chump who pronounces Pauls Boutique as "Pauls BOE-tique"

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 AM

I often use ‘the’ when speaking about them, it just sounds better English (even if technically wrong)! Don’t forget they also referred to themselves as such on the Root Down EP, and I love that release / t-shirt!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.