Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Default Pitchfork review

man, Pitchfork was not kind to the new documentary.

i kinda get the vibe that the guy that reviewed it wasn’t a fan to begin with, but sheesh, he really goes in on it.

i’ll be watching regardless.

Last edited by Micodin : 04-20-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:48 PM
ps I love you

Default Re: Pitchfork review

It sounds like what I assumed the film would be like, an amusing power point with few suprises for people who read the book. I kind of hoped they didn't just film last years tour, and that they did some more behind the scenes stuff to beef it up.

Oh well, I'll still watch it and love it though

It's a Lion....YEA!

Old 04-21-2020, 04:32 AM

It’s a strange review. Obviously the book - even though it was fairly innovative for its type - was going to be reflective as opposed to pushing forward, as is the show. The reviewer seems to expect them to be driving on as a subversive creative force when, with respect, that phase of their career is over. Possibly since the new millennium, certainly since Yauch passed.

I actually quite like Adam and Mike playing things fairly straight. The best parts of the book are not the cookbooks or comic features: it’s hearing directly from those two (bar a couple of the guest essays). When watching the House of Strombo interview it really struck me how few of those types of interviews exist, and how great it be to have had all 3 of them in that sort of setting / mood.

Anyway back to the review... Yes their story is well known to fans by now, and I’m sure there are things we’d all like to hear more about or - don’t hold your breath - find out for the first time. But 1) this was clearly never going to be a gossipy tell all book/show, and 2) I’m not sure how you’d even begin to make a retrospective show titled ‘Beastie Boys Story’ in the way that Pitchfork seems to yearn for.

Saying all that, I haven’t seen it, so perhaps these comments can’t wait.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:38 AM

Btw more reviews:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...ie-boys-story/
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...74561.html?amp
https://www.billboard.com/amp/articl...mentary-review
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...review-1290939
https://amp.theguardian.com/film/202...jonze-apple-tv
https://variety.com/2020/film/review...ew-1234584404/
https://time.com/5824371/beastie-boys-story-review/

I’m sure rotten tomatoes has the rest etc

All good reviews. The Time review is written by the same guy who Hornblower wrote to about the CCIO video

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 04-21-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

the guy seems like he's either a bboy freak disappointed he didn't get anything new of substance or someone who doesn't care for them

I was busy and lazy with the book and didnt read until last month actually. and i know the book came first but going to 2 of the shows to me it really feels like the book is a companion piece to the show. i really didn't get the strong feeling from the book as i did for the show with things like how much fun they had making and touring for check your head, or how big and important hold it now was for them.

instagram keeps saying 23rd is the premiere
Old 04-21-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
and i know the book came first but going to 2 of the shows to me it really feels like the book is a companion piece to the show.
yeah the show felt like a companion piece to the book and the documentary feels like a companion to show. and the book too i guess. weird how that came to be.

i was excited for the book but i've been reluctant to the show and doc because it starting to get real and it's tough saying goodbye. i'm not ready emotional yet.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 AM
crazy sniffable

dude doesnt understand the function of documentary. its not an artistic statement, its the conveyance of real events. regardless of the film’s quality, this dude’s expectations are sorely maligned. listen to the records if you want subversive. watch the doc if you want the story.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 04-22-2020, 04:51 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
dude doesnt understand the function of documentary. its not an artistic statement, its the conveyance of real events. regardless of the film’s quality, this dude’s expectations are sorely maligned. listen to the records if you want subversive. watch the doc if you want the story.
this

i haven't read every single review but the pitchfork guy seems to be the snowflake exception to the rest. and you know fuck it anyway and these "professional film critics". to us this band is as much a part of our lives as their own, relative of course and we're looking from the way outside in but still...you know we feel like we know them like family hence my reaction when my bro stopped by to tell me in person about yauch cause he knew what it would do to me. and it did that day. prob no point to this except we'll always look at the book, the show the doc in a much different light than someone with only a passing interest in brass monkey or sabotage, so the reviews are inconsequential at best. kinda like rise of skywalker for me, critics slammed it, i liked it. do i think they made biggly misjudgements in how they handled the sequel trilogy OH HELL YES, but it's star wars so i loved it regardless flaws and all.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 04-22-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
kinda like rise of skywalker for me, critics slammed it, i liked it. do i think they made biggly misjudgements in how they handled the sequel trilogy OH HELL YES, but it's star wars so i loved it regardless flaws and all.
off topic but i'm a lifelong Star Wars fan and i thought Rise of Skywalker was straight up trash. it's the first Star Wars movie ever where i walked out of the theater disappointed. and believe me, i love my Star Wars. i was even ok with the prequels. when i watched those in the theater years back, i walked out happy and entertained. to be honest, i'm pretty ok with what Disney has been doing with the new movies (including Solo) but this new one. woof. for a movie that was supposed to end the saga it felt pretty hollow, rushed and dumb. i'm so bummed about it, i haven't even picked up the blu-ray yet. and i always snap them up the first day they drop. i feel like Hornblower wouldn't be taking credit for coming up with the ideas for that monstrosity. rant over lol.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pitchfork review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
off topic but i'm a lifelong Star Wars fan and i thought Rise of Skywalker was straight up trash. it's the first Star Wars movie ever where i walked out of the theater disappointed. and believe me, i love my Star Wars. i was even ok with the prequels. when i watched those in the theater years back, i walked out happy and entertained. to be honest, i'm pretty ok with what Disney has been doing with the new movies (including Solo) but this new one. woof. for a movie that was supposed to end the saga it felt pretty hollow, rushed and dumb. i'm so bummed about it, i haven't even picked up the blu-ray yet. and i always snap them up the first day they drop. i feel like Hornblower wouldn't be taking credit for coming up with the ideas for that monstrosity. rant over lol.
Haha!
Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Arrow Re: Pitchfork review

I think Beastie fans are gonna love it. The show I saw was great. I'm an easy mark for the band for sure but I loved it and it seemed like everyone else did too. I'm pysched about watching this tomorrow night, even if it's on my wife's iPad because stupid Apple TV.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:21 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
damn mic that's too bad especially if life long like me i suppose. i don't disagree with the hollow rushed and dumb comments but still. and i haven't watched it either since it was released digital so maybe that says something cause i was really into both of those releases. i will add this which prob lead to me at least walking out with a smile that day. my daughter is 14 now and she's been my SW bud especially starting with the FA so this was kinda the end of the that journey cause she does her best to hide the SW fandom being a freshman, kids, etc.. she was in tears the last 30 min so for me, the emotional conclusion came from sitting next to her and seeing what it meant to her.

anyway off topic but that is something i'll never forget. hopefully both the daughters the wife and me all cry tonight when we all watch the Bboy movie together...now that will be something really special.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 04-23-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
damn mic that's too bad especially if life long like me i suppose. i don't disagree with the hollow rushed and dumb comments but still. and i haven't watched it either since it was released digital so maybe that says something cause i was really into both of those releases. i will add this which prob lead to me at least walking out with a smile that day. my daughter is 14 now and she's been my SW bud especially starting with the FA so this was kinda the end of the that journey cause she does her best to hide the SW fandom being a freshman, kids, etc.. she was in tears the last 30 min so for me, the emotional conclusion came from sitting next to her and seeing what it meant to her.

anyway off topic but that is something i'll never forget. hopefully both the daughters the wife and me all cry tonight when we all watch the Bboy movie together...now that will be something really special.
side note: the second time i watched it opening weekend there was a 11 or 12 yo girl in the next row up having a blast. she was hooting and hollering with hands in the air the entire movie. her energy made that viewing a lot more tolerable and enjoyable. and even tho Rise of Skywalker bummed me out at least Mandalorian is hitting all the right notes for me. i can’t complain to much i guess.

enjoy the doc tonight! i just recently bought a new ipad so i got apple tv free for a year. i’ll be watching too
Old 04-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Hero

Hey everybody. Months ago, I got a free one year AppleTv subscription for free as an add-on to some other subscription that we have. Hard to keep track at this point. I’ve never used it so I figured I better login today to make sure it worked.

From what I’ve seen advertised, the early release of the show is tonight. However, when I go on the app it just says that it releases tomorrow, the 24th. On the app, I managed to find the AppleTv+ channel or whatever the hell it is. Even within that it says the 24th. I’ve got work responsibility tonight and will be swinging in right around showtime and now I’m nervous I’m going to miss it.

Am I doing this shit right or what? Any help guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 04-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshabi View Post
Hey everybody. Months ago, I got a free one year AppleTv subscription for free as an add-on to some other subscription that we have. Hard to keep track at this point. I’ve never used it so I figured I better login today to make sure it worked.

From what I’ve seen advertised, the early release of the show is tonight. However, when I go on the app it just says that it releases tomorrow, the 24th. On the app, I managed to find the AppleTv+ channel or whatever the hell it is. Even within that it says the 24th. I’ve got work responsibility tonight and will be swinging in right around showtime and now I’m nervous I’m going to miss it.

Am I doing this shit right or what? Any help guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Same thing for me. One year free because I bought Apple product last month. Logged in for the first time and was told the movie starts on the 24th but then it’s working now.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:12 PM
Hero

Yeah. I just finished it. Worrying about it not working for some reason was like leaving 4 hours too early for a show and stressing about getting the rail haha.

Man, that was it. A perfect compliment to the book. Shed a lot of tears.

That pitchfork review was rubbish. That was amazing.

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 05-02-2020, 12:25 PM
noR ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshabi View Post
Yeah. I just finished it. Worrying about it not working for some reason was like leaving 4 hours too early for a show and stressing about getting the rail haha.

Man, that was it. A perfect compliment to the book. Shed a lot of tears.

That pitchfork review was rubbish. That was amazing.
Agreed....I thought it was amazing!

I was lucky enough to see one of the shows live at Kings Theater so it was great being able to kind of watch it again.

"MC for what I am and do...the A is for Adam"