Old 01-13-2022, 04:33 PM

Default Full Clout

https://youtu.be/UGaXOH1WuqM

thank you Adam.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Default Re: Full Clout

Excellent. Only known performance in 88.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 PM

Sensational.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:28 AM
space cake cookie

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...870-story.html

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 01-14-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
yo that writer was on some hater shit. i agree that Tougher than Leather was received as a step down from Raising Hell (sonically i think it’s a brilliant album with a couple wack songs) but they were still killing live shows in 88.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:23 AM

I sometimes forget how old Paul’s is cause it’s so different then LTI.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 01-18-2022, 01:07 PM

I wonder if there are any photos of this on the internet.
Its nice to know RUN DMC and the BEASTIES were still friends in 88, after the def jam bust up.
I thought maybe russell had made run pick a side.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 01-18-2022, 04:05 PM

Arrow Re: Full Clout

Here's another one, looks like they're uploading a bunch from that date
https://youtu.be/KCk6ngHiNDM
Old 01-20-2022, 03:02 PM
space cake cookie

damn i was at the show the night before in the oakland coliseum. no beasties in oakland. this was a long time ago and i was only 15, but i remember how great this show was top to bottom. epmd opened, i had not heard them but i went out and got their cassette the next day, strickly business is still one of the best hip hop debuts ever. i think PE came on next...i think. i had YO and this was before Nation, just remember screaming yeeaaaa boooooy with my friend after cause that's all flavor did, PE always and forever top 5 hip hop group. jazzy jeff/fresh prince next...i think. i might have PE and them mixed up but it would make sense jazzy/prince went next since Parents was all over at this time. great live show, great scratches and mr. smith was always charismatic, not really my thing though. RUN DMC to close...so awesome, them in their prime IMO. 4 albums worth of straight classics to play from. i knew every word to every song. setlist below...can't believe i got to see this live. straight bangers start to stop.

JUN
Run‐D.M.C. Setlist

Run's House

Rock Box

Beats to the Rhyme

Hit It Run

Raising Hell

Tougher Than Leather

You Talk Too Much

It's Tricky

It's Like That

You Be Illin'

I'm Not Going Out Like That

Peter Piper

My Adidas

Mary Mary

King of Rock

Encore:
Walk This Way

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 01-22-2022, 04:53 AM

Yeah I was at this show too. I was also at the Sac and Tahoe shows (I was a PE fanatic).

Had no idea about the boys being at the LA show, or about this live version of what would eventually become Shake Your Rump. This is a rarely heard version for sure. It's things like this that kind of fill in the little timeline in my mind of their career. 1988 is still kind of mysterious, I just imagine them being in the studio the whole time basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
damn i was at the show the night before in the oakland coliseum. no beasties in oakland. this was a long time ago and i was only 15, but i remember how great this show was top to bottom. epmd opened, i had not heard them but i went out and got their cassette the next day, strickly business is still one of the best hip hop debuts ever. i think PE came on next...i think. i had YO and this was before Nation, just remember screaming yeeaaaa boooooy with my friend after cause that's all flavor did, PE always and forever top 5 hip hop group. jazzy jeff/fresh prince next...i think. i might have PE and them mixed up but it would make sense jazzy/prince went next since Parents was all over at this time. great live show, great scratches and mr. smith was always charismatic, not really my thing though. RUN DMC to close...so awesome, them in their prime IMO. 4 albums worth of straight classics to play from. i knew every word to every song. setlist below...can't believe i got to see this live. straight bangers start to stop.

JUN
Run‐D.M.C. Setlist

Run's House

Rock Box

Beats to the Rhyme

Hit It Run

Raising Hell

Tougher Than Leather

You Talk Too Much

It's Tricky

It's Like That

You Be Illin'

I'm Not Going Out Like That

Peter Piper

My Adidas

Mary Mary

King of Rock

Encore:
Walk This Way
Old 01-22-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
yo that writer was on some hater shit. i agree that Tougher than Leather was received as a step down from Raising Hell (sonically i think it’s a brilliant album with a couple wack songs) but they were still killing live shows in 88.
I think that writer made some pretty good arguments about why people were tuned in at the time. In hindsight these type shows were precursors to festivals where you grabbed the top artists, gave them a certain amount of time, and then turned them loose. Each one of them got 20 or 30 minutes to run their best routines. Run-DMC stuck to that formula as a top draw, and the Beasties did too until they went into left field with Paul's Boutique. Whatever any of our thoughts are about what broke the rap festival mode, and pushed individual artists to stop playing 5-8 songs and work on their game as a headliner, some took the next step. Innovation in live shows was rapid. Compare '87 to '92. This writer kinda pointed that out. That's all.

This is a key insight... "In fact, the structure of rap shows--short sets by several acts, rather than the practice of longer stints by two bands on arena rock shows--gives the evening a naturally competitive flair. Watching the parade of talent, it’s hard not to rate one against another. Because the acts rely on recorded music (mixed live by a disc jockey) rather than live musicians, the changeover time between acts is far less than at a rock show".

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 01-22-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
I think that writer made some pretty good arguments about why people were tuned in at the time. In hindsight these type shows were precursors to festivals where you grabbed the top artists, gave them a certain amount of time, and then turned them loose. Each one of them got 20 or 30 minutes to run their best routines. Run-DMC stuck to that formula as a top draw, and the Beasties did too until they went into left field with Paul's Boutique. Whatever any of our thoughts are about what broke the rap festival mode, and pushed individual artists to stop playing 5-8 songs and work on their game as a headliner, some took the next step. Innovation in live shows was rapid. Compare '87 to '92. This writer kinda pointed that out. That's all.

This is a key insight... "In fact, the structure of rap shows--short sets by several acts, rather than the practice of longer stints by two bands on arena rock shows--gives the evening a naturally competitive flair. Watching the parade of talent, it’s hard not to rate one against another. Because the acts rely on recorded music (mixed live by a disc jockey) rather than live musicians, the changeover time between acts is far less than at a rock show".
um what?
Old 01-26-2022, 12:11 PM

Just an opinion. I went to those types of shows as a teen.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:37 PM

word up. i was just saying Run DMC was still rocking shows in 88. i wasn’t expecting a dissertation.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:10 PM

Not from me man. I just liked seeing a bunch of people perform together around '85 to '87. As I continued to spend money on tickets I started to gravitate toward shows that featured individual artists with longer sets. I am not claiming to be an expert. For me it was a kind of like following my passion for what I liked. I liked Greg Maddux, and followed him. I loved the Beasties and followed them, and when the it came time to decide how to spend my money on what I liked, I did. The only real point is that we started breaking away from short sets from 8 performers as a place to spend our money to view music live, and embraced headliners with new shows. That's what I thought was the critical insight of the author.