Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
These days Edan is doing some stuff with Homebody Sandman that's pretty cool.
it’s very dope. waiting for a instrumental version!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
the bboys are one of a kind, of course, but when i think of music that shares a strand of DNA or two with them i think of select Beck records, Rage Against the Machine, Public Enemy, Gorillaz first LP, De La Soul’s first coupla records, Jungle Brothers’ first two, etc. I’d even go out on a limb and say Ween. While not hiphop, theyre from the same school/generation and convey a similar chameleonic dynamism, sparked by a punky, tongue in cheek sense of adventure.

Alt projects by collaborators are always strong avenues to explore too, i.e. other Mario C productions, Money Mark solo work, other Rick Rubin hiphop material, definitely the Dust Brothers body of work, especially from the 90s.

Kid P hit the nail on the head regarding music the bboys directly reference as well. The amount of name-checking and sample sources their library offers is just overwhelming, and now with all the leads offered in the new book, holy cow. could keep you researching for days.
This is a really good list of stuff I enjoyed, and I would add to it MC900 FT Jesus' first two albums, Urban Dance Squad, and Consolidated (for mashing genres with some hip hop thrown in). There are way too many to name from the Hard-Core influences, but I'd be totally negligent if I didn't suggest the Ramones.

And Portishead just cause.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 02-12-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Music est. 1986

I recommend the playlists that Mike & Adam left at the end of the book.

Tons of hidden gems there. And if you like a bank you can go down the rabbit hole for days.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:31 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt5brevisited View Post
top 5's are so subjective, and my guess is that not many if any would agree with mine but i keep a list and Edan has been in my top 5 for a very long time. his catalog is light but i honestly believe he was and still is a force to be reckoned with on the mic. dude is strong strong strong.

hip hop:
-mca
-killer mike
-edan
-ll cool j
-kool g rap

honorable mentions:
big daddy kane
big
2pac
nas
rakim
aesop rock
el p
Chuck d
Despot
Del
Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire
kid jazz
slick rick
ghostface
andre 3000

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Current Member

eXquire is a great call. I love his stuff. Cherry Raindrops is my shit.

Breeze Brewin is one of my favourites of all time. By extension pesto you could check out juggaknots first album, and Prince Paul’s ‘Prince Among Thieves’. In turn, anything involving Prince Paul is worth your time.

pesto did you ever fuck with Dr Octagon? Q-bert does the scratches, among other selling points.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:13 PM

You probably are already familiar with these, but for 80s era style I would say Just Ice Back To The Old School, Original Concept, Schoolly D Saturday Night. Skinny Boys were heavily influenced by Run DMC and Beasties.

For their funk jam style of the early mid 90s check out the early earliest Kool and the Gang stuff. And Curtis Live! the Curtis Mayfield album, they basically copied that sound with Adrock's wah pedal and the congas over it.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
eXquire is a great call. I love his stuff. Cherry Raindrops is my shit.

Breeze Brewin is one of my favourites of all time. By extension pesto you could check out juggaknots first album, and Prince Paul’s ‘Prince Among Thieves’. In turn, anything involving Prince Paul is worth your time.

pesto did you ever fuck with Dr Octagon? Q-bert does the scratches, among other selling points.
Yes l love dr octagon but l will check out the others ive not heard of.Edan has been the stand out so far and somehow l was led to Mantronix so re-bought their first 3 albums yesterday.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
You probably are already familiar with these, but for 80s era style I would say Just Ice Back To The Old School, Original Concept, Schoolly D Saturday Night. Skinny Boys were heavily influenced by Run DMC and Beasties.

For their funk jam style of the early mid 90s check out the early earliest Kool and the Gang stuff. And Curtis Live! the Curtis Mayfield album, they basically copied that sound with Adrock's wah pedal and the congas over it.
I will check out these esp skinny boys, heard of them.Also Kool and the gang early stuff is amazing l need to really check out that stuff again

Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
top 5's are so subjective, and my guess is that not many if any would agree with mine but i keep a list and Edan has been in my top 5 for a very long time. his catalog is light but i honestly believe he was and still is a force to be reckoned with on the mic. dude is strong strong strong.

hip hop:
-mca
-killer mike
-edan
-ll cool j
-kool g rap

honorable mentions:
big daddy kane
big
2pac
nas
rakim
aesop rock
el p
Chuck d
Despot
Del
Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire
kid jazz
slick rick
ghostface
andre 3000
I will youtube exquire, despot, el p and kid jazz.any stand out tracks?

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
https://youtu.be/N0ijOe3sGEk

Knock a few of them out in one go. El-P was part of Company Flow. Check them out, too. In fact, El’s solo catalogue is wonderful, as is his production work on Cannibal Ox’ Cold Vein. He’s part of Run The Jewels but I find them to be super underwhelming as a duo.

Das Racist are worth a look (also defunct now, sadly). Heems in particular I think is a genius. I would love Mike and/or Adam to produce for him. His shit I like.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-14-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 AM
Current Member

Has Danny Brown come up? He said some nice words when MCA passed.

Any love for Sean Price? P!

https://youtu.be/lkN7TgAtVAw

Look into Stax records, maybe?

Also: https://bigghostlimited.bandcamp.com/releases

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-14-2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Phone
Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 AM

Thanks

Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
for exquire Brainiac is bonkers, this remix is not on google music but i've watched this vid 50 times. das racist, despot, el p, danny brown and X.

despot, light catalog but check out house of bricks

el p just start with company flow and take it all the way through RTJ3 and beyond. WMR Radio is the shit

kid jazz was a rhyme syndicate dude with ice t back in the day, he and kidd scratch were domination. on their cassette single i need something mellow it said album coming soon....it never came and i looked every week for like 6 months. i only know of 4 songs but i just think this guy ripped.

you haven't heard nothing

move your body and back at it again are bit more difficult to find.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
for exquire Brainiac is bonkers, this remix is not on google music but i've watched this vid 50 times. das racist, despot, el p, danny brown and X.

despot, light catalog but check out house of bricks

el p just start with company flow and take it all the way through RTJ3 and beyond. WMR Radio is the shit

kid jazz was a rhyme syndicate dude with ice t back in the day, he and kidd scratch were domination. on their cassette single i need something mellow it said album coming soon....it never came and i looked every week for like 6 months. i only know of 4 songs but i just think this guy ripped.

you haven't heard nothing

move your body and back at it again are bit more difficult to find.
Thanks for the links, l really enjoyed those choices.esp the first two.that remix was my cup of tea and the second song was very good, l would never normally given a video like that a chance

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Sweet chick! Nice.
He reminds of ol dirty bastard

Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Another one I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned is the first Pharcyde album. I'm sure you've heard it. To me that album has a lot of similarities with the voices, the playful sensibility, the humor, the sampling. It was a fun record that avoided the trends of gun talk and thug image. I think the fanbases crossed over into one another a lot at that time. Skater kids loved the Pharcyde. I remember seeing the promo stickers all over Venice when the album was coming out.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Another one I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned is the first Pharcyde album. I'm sure you've heard it. To me that album has a lot of similarities with the voices, the playful sensibility, the humor, the sampling. It was a fun record that avoided the trends of gun talk and thug image. I think the fanbases crossed over into one another a lot at that time. Skater kids loved the Pharcyde. I remember seeing the promo stickers all over Venice when the album was coming out.
Yes l was thinking of mentioning that album ( l forgot when l wrote the thread) it is the best example of what l was refering to that l know of

Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM
crazy sniffable

i feel like Odelay is the closest thing one can find to a non-beasties beasties record. and hold the “its not hiphop” rebuttals please. as far as artistic intent, era, influences, and shared collaborators goes, it is a hard line to argue.

on a similar note, the bboys are so much bigger than hiphop in their scope, even within their hiphop songs themselves, and should be (and often are) recognized as so. to call them merely rappers is an understatement. they truly are artistes.

i know nobody asked, but i still shared. preachy maybe, but truth? yes.
and if you dont like it then hey fuck you.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
i feel like Odelay is the closest thing one can find to a non-beasties beasties record. and hold the “its not hiphop” rebuttals please. as far as artistic intent, era, influences, and shared collaborators goes, it is a hard line to argue.

on a similar note, the bboys are so much bigger than hiphop in their scope, even within their hiphop songs themselves, and should be (and often are) recognized as so. to call them merely rappers is an understatement. they truly are artistes.

After all these years ive never listened to Odelay.Ive heard some singles and liked quite a few by beck, so l will give him a try

Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:

odelay sounds like a beck record produced by the dust bros and saying it sounds like a beastie record is a stretch at most. i enjoy the record quiet a lot and have long celebrated (saw beck 3 times on the odeley tour) it but it doesn’t sound like pauls boutique 2.0 or a beastie record at all. it has all the elements of a beck's earlier records with interesting song structures, lyrics with the dust bros sample production. i just don’t hear the three’s energy at all on odeley.

the only record that sounds like a beasties record is obv Hurricane’s The Hurra. nothing else comes close. it's a perfect beasties companion piece.

Last edited by Micodin : 02-17-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: the hurra bro.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
odelay sounds like a beck record produced by the dust bros and saying it sounds like a beastie record is a stretch at most. i enjoy the record quiet a lot and have long celebrated (saw beck 3 times on the odeley tour) it but it doesn’t sound like pauls boutique 2.0 or a beastie record at all. it has all the elements of a beck's earlier records with interesting song structures, lyrics with the dust bros sample production. i just don’t hear the three’s energy at all on odeley.

the only record that sounds like a beasties record is obv Hurricane’s The Hurra. nothing else comes close. it's a perfect beasties companion piece.
The Hurra is pretty average in my view. DFL’s first album or Mark’s Keyboard repair (which is superior) both meet your criteria equally well.

The Hurra has some interesting moments, some great, but went double styrofoam for a reason. Cane doesn’t have the lyrical chops or personality to carry an album vocally, and the best productions sound like IC off-cuts at most. It is dope that Mark, Bobo and Mario turn up (in addition to the three), but not much stronger a case than Odelay.

It’s an interesting topic, though. I like the Beastie Boys because I don’t think there is a straight answer to the hypothesis you and McDuff have put forward.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-17-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 PM
crazy sniffable

A critical buzz word i left out was “spirit”. Odelay shares a similar spirit to me, in influences, personnel, place in time, production, and most of all playfulness. Its heavily tongue in cheek on a surface level, but at the core some truly serious artistry. Much like our fellas.

All good though, I realized I was stirring a pot with that observation, and welcome the criticism, as I know its a hella subjective anecdote. And frankly just a stimulating topic to me in general, as I enjoy these discussions with you good folks. Cheers to the fam and this forum where we can maturely debate and adore all things beastie respectfully with like-minded friends.

heavy love to the collective you.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:26 AM
Current Member

Yeah the views expressed are just views and shit. It’s all love.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Music est. 1986

I the topic of Odelay, one of my top fav albums all time, High 5 (Rock the Catskills)
Always seemed the most Beastiesque to me. The beat, the distorted mic and even the sample that they would eventually use themselves for the De La collab in Squat.
The video itself has the Watcha Want thermal technique, running around in a forest and mugging the camera up close.

Not only was this produced by the dust brothers, but Minus was recorded at G-Son studios and produced by Mario Caldato, Jr., it also has that nice dirty distorted guitar sound. Wondering if Beck used any of the Beastie Boys gear or that guitar is a sample.
According to Beastiemania Money Mark also worked on Odelay but is only mentioned in the Thank You's of the liner notes but not credited for any specific songs.

The only other Beck song in recent memory that reminds me of Rock the Catskills with the ill communication distorted mic is Chain Reaction I believe a b-side from the Guero sessions, you can find it on the deluxe version of the album. The beat or bass line in the back reminds me a bit of the grittiness of the OG version of too many rappers.
Other fun notes from the Guero Album, also produced by the Dust Brothers, the lead single, E-Pro, samples the drums in Watcha Want and the remix version of the album, Guerolito has an ad-rock small stars remix of Black Tambourine called Shake Shake Tambourine

Last edited by brooklyndust : 02-18-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I the topic of Odelay, one of my top fav albums all time, High 5 (Rock the Catskills)
Always seemed the most Beastiesque to me. The beat, the distorted mic and even the sample that they would eventually use themselves for the De La collab in Squat.
The video itself has the Watcha Want thermal technique, running around in a forest and mugging the camera up close.

Not only was this produced by the dust brothers, but Minus was recorded at G-Son studios and has that nice dirty distorted guitar sound. Wondering if Beck used any of the Beastie Boys gear or that guitar is a sample.

The only other Beck song in recent memory that reminds me of Rock the Catskills with the ill communication distorted mic is Chain Reaction I believe a b-side from the Guero sessions, you can find it on the deluxe version of the album. The beat or bass line in the back reminds me a bit of the grittiness of the OG version of too many rappers.
Other fun notes from the Guero Album, also produced by the Dust Brothers, the lead single, E-Pro, samples the drums in Watcha Want and the remix version of the album, Guerolito has an ad-rock small stars remix of Black Tambourine called Shake Shake Tambourine
Mario C did the mix on Minus.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Music est. 1986

Ahh I thought he produced it too.

I love the new book but the nerd in me was wishing for more stories on how they made the songs like in the sounds of science booklet.

Book had a good mix though
Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM
crazy sniffable

many sources ive found indicate a production credit for Mario on Minus, fwiw.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Current Member

Suspected as much about Minus. Catskills is a good call, too.

The drought between IC and Hello Nasty was odd. We got Aglio e Olio, and this. As a gromm at the time I had discovered Wu Tang and gone down the rabbit hole. I do recall trying to play the first TFC on New Zealand’s carrier pigeon internet, though.

In Sound was wonderful for the new packaging and vocal free renditions of a couple of instrumentals, but that triple disc TFC album and Wu Tang Forever were monumental.

I don’t think I had a point.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-18-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to try find some new music to listen to, maybe some great group l have missed along the way.
The Beastie boys have been my favourite music since May 1987 and my music life is pretty empty these days.
So if l was to recommend some music to someone who loved the Beastie boys, l would suggest RUN DMC early stuff, The Goats, Cypress Hill and Bad Brains.
The suggestion could be a famous group, l may of not given them a chance before.
Thanks in advance, any ideas are most welcome.
hang tight....Spring is right around the corner....rock those EPMD records til then....

thank you Adam.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Current Member

$mark did the keys on where it’s at.

Shout at the Devil!