Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Re: PYB appreciation thread

Do your dance Mike/ Because I'm built for speed like a tour de France Bike

message board

Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
I was just saying I have an ear for it because my job is DJing and music production. I wasn't trying to be a prick.

Carry on.
It's all good. I know you weren't, and neither was I. In fact, if anything I was lameting my own lack of credentials. You made your assertion on a sound basis, and if McDuff concurs then there must be something in it. I just hear it differently and have missed discussions as pointless as this so very much. It's like 2003!

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Super Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
It's not so much the musical arrangement of the original 'version' I didn't feel (although the bassline was a little droll), more the dull and lifeless audio dynamics of the original mix. It sounded so flat and just wrong.

Similar thing sprang out on that Z-Trip mix thingy that came out a while back. I think it was a beat off something from one of their 90s albums which segued into the original mix of Make Some Noise (which would have at that point been on the upcoming HSC1 prior to the delay of both the album and the Z-trip mix), and that mix also sounded weak and flat - a fact which was only highlighted further when side by side with earlier, better mixed/mastered material, too.

It was cool that they went back and re-tooled the final mix. Crud circumstances which surrounded the project, obviously.

Somewhat related, I enjoyed reading this.
That was a very dope article you linked to. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Arrow Re: PYB appreciation thread

If you look at the 7" it says "Produced [and written] by Beastie Boys". There's no mixing credit on there, which is what Zdar handled and "Produced" probably just means they put the raw track together so that pretty much tells us nothing.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
crazy sniffable

Very interesting. I remember downloading PYB from itunes before the album dropped, when it was attached to a single (i thought) and hoping that it was a better mix, and i remember that i was ultimately disappointed. listening to the preview on itunes now from the deluxe version though, it is definitely improved.

this is so very exciting! always wanted a better mix on this and behold it was right under my nose the entire time! (what a dope i am)

p.s. was pop your balloon ever released along with TMR or MSN at any point? i really feel like i'd downloaded the earlier mix before from itunes... Am I nuts or something?

p.s.s. oh yeah, these deluxe versions of the b-sides are no doubt remixed. sweeeeeet. damn, realizing that i had never even heard the non-edited version of PYB until right now. what a treat.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 06-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM

I thought you (McDuff) must have somehow missed the spruced up version just from reading your post. In any case there really is no debate - those bonus tracks definitely were given the Zdar treatment, professional DJ-opinion or not... I can understand your excitement though!

I have no idea where you downloaded PYB from originally. I thought it was only knocking about before due to the game soundtrack it was on (some basketball game...NBA Street?) - that's where I downloaded the rip from (illegally), I think it must have been in place on the soundtrack before the album was delayed.

B-Boys acapella and Lee Majors were the only songs 'officially' released via the 7" which came with the Check Your head re-issue viny, and obviously the original TMR came out on itunes but as a one-track single. PYB definitely never made it to the UK itunes and I do not think it was made available aside from the game soundtrack. Either way, the difference between those versions is there for all to see...

One question I have - does anyone know if the original B-Boys in the Cut was actually released in full? I think the 2009 version I have was put together by a fan (I remember them sending out the instrumental in an e-mail). But I vaguely remember Zane Lowe playing it too, though I'm not sure if that was official or just a mix put together by a fan. I just remember the timing being slightly different, e.g. Adrocks last verse on my original version comes in slightly later. Sorry if this all sounds a bit confusing!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM

can someone post some links? i'm confused now
Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
. But I vaguely remember Zane Lowe playing it too, though I'm not sure if that was official or just a mix put together by a fan. I just remember the timing being slightly different, e.g. Adrocks last verse on my original version comes in slightly later. Sorry if this all sounds a bit confusing!
that deffo happened, fairly sure there was a short recorded interview to preview it with at least one of the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
give it time, we will go in wonderous directions. mainly calling people cunts.

www.beastiemixes.com/Guy Incognito

Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
those bonus tracks definitely were given the Zdar treatment, professional DJ-opinion or not...
Wow. Shots fired!

I got PYB and B-Boys in the Cut as bonus songs from the deluxe version of HSCP2 on iTunes.

Even at 256 kbps they still don't have the punch that the rest of the record has. I would agree to disagree... but you're wrong.

Last edited by Micodin : 06-06-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Wow. Shots fired!

I got PYB and B-Boys in the Cut as bonus songs from the deluxe version of HSCP2 on iTunes.

Even at 256 kbps they still don't have the punch that the rest of the record has. I would agree to disagree... but you're wrong.
Could it be that they were mastered differently than the final album sequence? They are clearly remixed from the original release and leak, and again to me, they have the same "ear taste" as the Zdar mixes.

message board

Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
Could it be that they were mastered differently than the final album sequence?
That I do agree with. If Zdar mixed them, I don't think he spent the time with them as painstaking did with the rest of the album. He could of given them a once over and bounced them.

Just comparing the wave sizes in Protools the bonus tracks are smaller than the rest of the album.

Listening to them in 7.1 they just sound thiner than the rest of HSCP2.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Arrow Re: PYB appreciation thread

Quote:
That I do agree with. If Zdar mixed them, I don't think he spent the time with them as painstaking did with the rest of the album. He could of given them a once over and bounced them.

Just comparing the wave sizes in Protools the bonus tracks are smaller than the rest of the album.

You also have to remember that they are not album tracks and didn't end up on the CD. It could be that the tracks were mastered for vinyl only and those versions mastered for the vinly were converted to digital files, which could be why they aren't mastered as hot.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

That awesome article that was linked a few posts up interviewing Mike D and Zdar mentions that they took it to somebody else to get Mastered. I bet Zdar didn't oversee the mastering of the b-sides.

phew. Glad we got to the bottom of this.

message board

Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Current Member

Another nice thing about that article is being able to enlarge that studio shot to see a copy of Stepfather on the console. Great album. I like the possibility of them listening to that; I like that they like that and sometimes like liking things they like.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Adrock

This would be in my top 10 Beastie songs ever for sure. Imagine live my goodness. I played that NBA low quality version for sooo long. Still remember waiting up till midnight to buy the proper version off itunes.

Back On The Mic Its The Anti-Depressor

www.youtube.com/lauriehammy

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

I like the indepth discussion about this one track. It's flawless even in the lowest quality. Nice to see it get it's own thread!

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
crazy sniffable

zdar or not, all that matters is that the deluxe version is far better fidelity than the 45 bootleg (and nba live rip) that was floating around. there's definitely still some sort of digital distortion goin on somewhere in there, but i find it hard to complain considering its such an improvement compared to the PYB i'd come know.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM

I find it hilarious that people are just catching on that PYB and B-Boys in the Cut were on the deluxe version. I'm a completist so I grabbed them shits the day they dropped.

I was never complaining about the sound quality. I fixed that to my own liking. My point was that they sound quite different compared to the mixing & mastering that Zdar did with HSCP2.

Personally, I enjoy both the songs a lot.

All that really matters is that PYB is a dope B-side which is what this thread was all about.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

All that really matters is that PYB is a dope B-side which is what this thread was all about.
Agreed - and I wasn't firing shots, I just thought it the Z-mans treatment was pretty clear even to the untrained ear!

Almost completely off-topic but I've really been getting into And Then I again since someone mentioned it in another thread recently. I only just realised the synthesised vocal/sample or whatever is saying 'And Then I'... So take no notice of me! But man, what a fucking off-cut that is. And at least we know for sure that Duro was the mixer-supreme on that one...

edit: it was an actual thread on And Then I... I should visit that instead.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
am I the only one around here who actually likes the the OG version of TMR?
I do too, I remember reading a while back that everyone like MCA's intro verse on the album version better, and I totally disagree. *i love both, but the single version is the best*
"Yo, I've been in the game since before you was born"

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

I've been jamming PYB a lot on repeat. I think this is in my all time top 10.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Scientist

[quote=Laver1969;1808333]I've been jamming PYB a lot on repeat. I think this is in my all time top 10.[/QUOTE

Dunno, there are easily 10 over tracks to kick PYB's ass, no?

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Mr.Doris tha Funk-A-Suars

the sounds in the Money Mark song 'Dha Teen Ta' remind me of 'Pop Your Balloon'.

Go download my Beastie Boys remixes
Peace, MCScoobyT

http://beastiemixes.com/remixer.php?id=69

Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCScoobyT View Post
the sounds in the Money Mark song 'Dha Teen Ta' remind me of 'Pop Your Balloon'.
Yes! I would not be surprised if they remembered this song when hey were making their drum beat.

message board