Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Aglio e Olio clear 7" sound quality?

I bought the Australian pressing of Aglio e Olio on 7" clear vinyl a while ago and was listening to it recently when I noticed that the sound quality seemed..... kind of bad. I put on my 12" pressing and it sounded 5x better. Anyone else have a copy or listen to one? I know that according to Beastiemania, the guy who cut these records had a pretty high "fail rate" in that a bunch didn't come out very good. Any idea if I might just have a bum copy or do others sound a little off?

The volume is low, the bass is weak, and on "Nervous Assistant" if the needle happens to catch the groove wrong, you can hear the track twice (one played with a 2 second delay) somehow. Weird stuff.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Arrow Re: Aglio e Olio clear 7" sound quality?

It's lathe cut so the audio quality is probably not going to match the vinyl in general. It's also very possible you got a bad pressing.

Also keep in mind that perceived loudness can affect your perspective of sound quality. The 12" has lots of space for those tracks and is probably going to offer better dynamics due to that.

There are whole host of other factors that affect the perceived sound quality of records.

If I can remember, I'll check mine and see if it sounds bad. I think I bought it, played "Light My Fire" a few times and shelved it.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Aglio e Olio clear 7" sound quality?

I'd be curious to know how yours sounds.

I just thought the record was so cool, but the sound is iffy. The fact that it's a punk album on 7 inch is cool, the clear vinyl is cool, and I thought it was awesome how some guys in Australia decided to ask for the licensing rights and do their own thing, and the Beasties gave it to them.

I've wanted to get rights from Capitol to press the Pretzel Nugget EP on vinyl (sucks that it was only even on CD), but I think those days are gone.

Sorry - went off on a tangent there.