Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Teflon Man

Default Re: biking

I loved the first one, cost me well over 1000 GBP, seemed to get quite a lot of punctures on the back though! That's what happens with skinny rims and wide tyres I suppose. The second I just happened to know someone who was selling it, think it was almost a grand when new (900?) but was in great condition and got it for a good price. I missed being able to ride about off road just having the road bike, so when it came up, just had to get it!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM
drifter

I've been riding a piece of shit I got for 15 bucks at a garage sale for the past few years, it was a heavy as hell venture from the 80's. My gear cables snapped last summer but I was too cheap to get them fixed so I continued to ride it regardless.

I just got a job that I expect to cycle to for most of the next 6-8 months, about 18 km round trip.
I picked up a "new" bike 2 weeks ago for 200 bucks, it's old but the guy put all new cables, brake pads and wheels on it plus it came with fenders so I'm good to go. I'm just excited to have a more road-worthy bike, even an old one, because it will be like peddling through hot butter compared to the tank I was riding a good 10+km/day before.

Looks exactly like this, not sure of the year etc though.
I believe it's a 6 speed, again, I'm no expert I just adore the freedom of having my bike as a reliable mode of transportation. Winters around here are pretty brutal, but I can't wait to start biking everywhere again in a few weeks.

Next stop, home ownership! I知 just kidding, the middle class is dying. You値l be renting forever.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvete View Post
I loved the first one, cost me well over 1000 GBP, seemed to get quite a lot of punctures on the back though! That's what happens with skinny rims and wide tyres I suppose. The second I just happened to know someone who was selling it, think it was almost a grand when new (900?) but was in great condition and got it for a good price. I missed being able to ride about off road just having the road bike, so when it came up, just had to get it!

those punctures were probably caused by not having enough air in them. called a pinch flat. basically if there's not a enough pressure, it allows the tire/tube to roll over and crinkle up on itself and it pinches a hole in the tube.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEIRESS View Post
I've been riding a piece of shit I got for 15 bucks at a garage sale for the past few years, it was a heavy as hell venture from the 80's. My gear cables snapped last summer but I was too cheap to get them fixed so I continued to ride it regardless.

I just got a job that I expect to cycle to for most of the next 6-8 months, about 18 km round trip.
I picked up a "new" bike 2 weeks ago for 200 bucks, it's old but the guy put all new cables, brake pads and wheels on it plus it came with fenders so I'm good to go. I'm just excited to have a more road-worthy bike, even an old one, because it will be like peddling through hot butter compared to the tank I was riding a good 10+km/day before.

Looks exactly like this, not sure of the year etc though.
I believe it's a 6 speed, again, I'm no expert I just adore the freedom of having my bike as a reliable mode of transportation. Winters around here are pretty brutal, but I can't wait to start biking everywhere again in a few weeks.
if your bike is the same age as that bike in the pic it's probably from the 70's/early 80's.

well at least the 80's
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Monkey News

this was my last ride. I went to that state park I mentioned earlier in this thread. the place is amazing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/312878442#
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
just here for the .gifs

I want this bike now:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...t_stripper.htm

I'm sick of my gears! I don't even know how to use them, so I never do
I would have a freewheel and brakes though, no fixie for me, too much stopping to do in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
technically insane

Fuck yes. I like the color

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Monkey News

i couldn't survive biking without gears. i have a 27 speed and use nearly all those speeds. 30 speeds are now what you'd get a on top line mountain bike.

and that bike is pure class. it looks like it could weigh as little as 15 pounds if made from the right aluminum.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Monkey News

well my riding season is well over. I hit 1400 miles this year. I'm fairly happy with that. I could have probably hit 1500+ if wasn't such a fucking pussy when it starts to get colder. people that are crazy serious about riding can hit huge numbers like 20,000 plus miles. I think I pushed myself harder this year than I have ever. that GPS cylcocomputer is a huge motivational tool. it tells you how much of a piece of shit you're being. letting you know that you're not going as hard as you actually can.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM
technically insane

im still riding the Big Ripper, but I have put a few custom touches on it, like a mirror and a bell. Some people say you shouldn't put a bell on a big ripper, but I say you need a bell, or a fog horn.

Still have my 29 Marlin SS also, but I should sell it as I havent touched it for a year.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 AM
doubts your commitment

Man I wish biking in LA wasn't so completely terrifying. I used to ride all the time when I lived in a quieter neighborhood and now I live near much busier streets and no one knows how to drive around cyclists. There are a few dedicated lanes and even a path or two but getting to them is pretty gnarly.

I recently took the retractable rear wire baskets off the back of my old-ass Trek and though I do love how much lighter my bike is I miss having sweet baskets when I needed them for groceries and books and stuff. They looked so damned cool.

Oh, also, on the most recent CicLAvia I rode the subway next to a guy who had the most amazingly beautiful tricked-out bike I'd ever seen. Deep wood paneling everywhere, plaid cloth padding, a wooden 6-pack holder with the LA symbol worked into the metal frame, and a fucking flask holder in place of a water bottle holder. It was glorious. He beamed when I told him how nice it was and said it was "a lot of fun to put together."

Bikes!

lonely as a cloud in the golden state
"the longest winter that i ever saw
was the summer that i spent..."

Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 AM
there it is

i used to bike everywhere in arcata, ca. but i had to leave so i gave it away.. cost me 400 used. it was like 1500 new. the cheapest new bike they had for sale in arcata was 700. just crazy.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105 View Post
Man I wish biking in LA wasn't so completely terrifying. I used to ride all the time when I lived in a quieter neighborhood and now I live near much busier streets and no one knows how to drive around cyclists. There are a few dedicated lanes and even a path or two but getting to them is pretty gnarly.

I recently took the retractable rear wire baskets off the back of my old-ass Trek and though I do love how much lighter my bike is I miss having sweet baskets when I needed them for groceries and books and stuff. They looked so damned cool.

Oh, also, on the most recent CicLAvia I rode the subway next to a guy who had the most amazingly beautiful tricked-out bike I'd ever seen. Deep wood paneling everywhere, plaid cloth padding, a wooden 6-pack holder with the LA symbol worked into the metal frame, and a fucking flask holder in place of a water bottle holder. It was glorious. He beamed when I told him how nice it was and said it was "a lot of fun to put together."

Bikes!
they just started painting in bike lanes in my city. funny thing though is that they've started installing them in the affluent suburban areas where people getting around on bikes is more for fun. bike lanes aren't even needed in these areas. they should be in the downtown areas where they could actually serve a meaningful purpose.

there's a bike path that runs up and down the river. they've even installed substantial bridges to cross RR tracks. this path could be used as like a central thruway with offshoots every few blocks. nobody uses this thing. I don't think anyone knows it's there.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 AM
just here for the .gifs

My dumb city puts in fancy protected or extra wide bike lanes in spots where it's never that dangerous to bike anyway. And then neglect the major roads that've had bike lanes or a shared lanes for years...they're all potholed up.

I ride on a busy road over a scary bridge every day almost. No bike lane. Im so used to it, I manage to avoid danger by anticipating shitty driving behavior. Like basically always expecting to get hit by cars at every intersection. It's pretty nuts how many people run lights or turn in front of oncoming traffic with no regard (usually while talking on a cell phone).

I ride through the winter, it was 20 degrees the other night though and I wasn't prepared so my gloves were too thin and my hands froze up and it was so painful I almost cried. And so I chickened out riding today, took the bus. Good thing I did, several people I know bit it while riding today. but if you have the right gear it's not so bad. Kinda liberating at times.

Quote:
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Monkey News

riding over bridges is nerve racking. especially when it's windy and you're right up against the railing and you're a fucking million feet above the water. the only three bridges that cross the river all have nearly meaningless sidewalks on them, though. I wouldn't even attempt it if there wasn't any sidewalks.

the bridge sidewalks are always covered in broken bottles, used condoms and puke. there must be some crazy bridge parties going on.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:29 PM
just here for the .gifs

Oh my bridge is pretty short and not very far above water. It's scary because it's a 4 lane road with no shoulder and a 12" curb. On the way to work, I ride with traffic, on the way home at night I ride on the sidewalk. It's right by a big shopping area so I feel like people drive extra shitty going that direction and fly over the bridge without paying attention regardless of the time of day though.

Quote:

Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Monkey News

yeah all three bridges are connected to a highway on the other side through a rotary with on and off ramps that you have to cross. definitely not fun. I don't ride to that side of town very much.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Monkey News

so I was trying to pass this guy. he was going along at a decent clip. I chased this mother fucker for like 2 or 3 miles trying to pass him! I could not catch up with him! he was perpetually 100 feet in front of me! he was going so effortlessly. peddling so slowly. It was completely fucking with me that this shmuck I could not catch up with. it was maddening. he was just some average joe and I couldn't pass him . when I finally caught up with him he had one of those FUCKING ELECTRIC MOTORS attached to his bike! I was all like... CHEATER! you son of a bitch!. he just laughed at me and zoomed off while I nearly died. cocksucker.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:38 PM
just here for the .gifs

hahahaha!

I wonder what an electric bike would feel like to ride? Seems kinda weird, but it would probably be fun. I wonder if you could use it long distance.

I did NOT ride through the winter this past year. It was too cold. My boyfriend did and I thought he was nuts. But he did it, even when it was like -5 degrees. The power of wool+body heat, I guess. brrr.

I thought it'd be tough getting back to biking, but I'm doing alright. I think because my workplace changed and I began having to stand up for 8 hours a day, and run up and down stairs, I stayed in decent shape through the winter. Still haven't had a good long ride yet though.

I still want that bike I posted!

Quote:

Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Monkey News

those electric bikes seem to have more power than those shitty vespa type scooters. those douche bags on the scooters try to race me sometimes.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 AM
feeder

I have had an ebike for a litle over a year now and it rules. Can't imagine life without it now. But it's different over here of course, car drivers and bike riders are used to sharing the road and you don't have the crazy antagonism here like you do in the US or UK, where each one hates giving the other any space., Here you just... go. It's a little unnerving in that cars will ride up quite close to you esp coming up on that left flank, but they're not trying to mess with you, they're just there because in the older parts of the city, the streets are narrow and that's just where its at.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 AM
drifter

Just bought last year's model in black

It is nice to ride a bike that isn't 30 years old for once

Next stop, home ownership! I知 just kidding, the middle class is dying. You値l be renting forever.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Monkey News

the thing looks crazy light
Old 06-14-2014, 10:33 AM

My fave ride/route ever...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

"Cats probably wouldn't need 9 lives if they wore tiny little helmets and didn't smoke cigarettes..."

Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 AM
drifter

It is sooooo light and lovely.

I still have my old tank bike from the early 80s in case I am riding to a destination where it's a bit sketchy locking up a bike outside, so I especially notice the difference when I switch between the two.

Ottawa definitely has an awesome system of recreational pathways, dedicated bike lanes throughout the city are a bit scarce though, sadly.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Moot View Post
this isn't working
Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 AM

My house backs up to New Hampshire's largest state park, Bear Brook State Park.
So I got this Trek this weekend to start exploring it.
The wife picked out this Trek.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Monkey News

none of these facebook links work for me
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Here's mine.
Here's my wife's

Last edited by RobMoney : 07-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Monkey News

a friend of mine bought a trek very similar to yours a couple of years ago. great bike for the price. I really like the colors. is it a 29er?