Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Hot sauce committee 6 years on

Listening to HSCPT2 on this sunny day in southern england still loving it and like all beastie albums it improves with listens because l start except instead of what l expect from the beasties.
I still dont like the new reactinaries version of TMR my mind wonders every time l pay it because l love the original, this version is just a fuzzy mess.
Highlights for me are
1.Non stop disco powerpack
2.Say it
3.Lee majors come again
4.Heres a little something for ya
5.Tadlocks glasses
Real number 2.Too many rappers original version.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM
crazy sniffable

Default Re: Hot sauce committee 6 years on

I cosign that list of strength songs. different order perhaps, but those are the cuts i find myself rotating the most as well.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Long Burn the Fire is the shit.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 03-30-2017, 06:10 PM

Great record.

I like every track except the Santigold collab and the New Reactionaries version of TMR. I agree - it's just a mess.

Standouts for me are: TMR (og), Say It, Long Burn The Fire, B-Boys In The Cut, Tadlock's, Make Some Noise, Lee Majors, Multilateral ND.

Would still like to hear the original 2009 mix!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Great record.

I like every track except the Santigold collab and the New Reactionaries version of TMR. I agree - it's just a mess.

Standouts for me are: TMR (og), Say It, Long Burn The Fire, B-Boys In The Cut, Tadlock's, Make Some Noise, Lee Majors, Multilateral ND.

Would still like to hear the original 2009 mix!
I agree with everything u said, l would love for that 2009 mix to surface with the book
Why not we all want it!

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Great record.

I quite like some of the remixes of the Santigold song. Much better that the original IMO.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 PM

I've said it here before but Lisa Lisa/Full Force Routine was unfortunately, unintentionally, the best way they could have ended their last album in my opinion. The song sounds like it spans all their different era's/styles, and the last words are "New York City", and it seems like the last audible voice is Yauch.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Absolutely, 100% agree. Maybe a year ago I noticed the same thing and thought the same thought. To me it also just seems like the most raw cut on the album too. Like they sketched it up and ran through it a couple times, but it never was really more than just the three of them messing around on the mics. Then the sign-off with New York City... feels like the whole journey came full circle.

I've said this on here before too, but for me I never felt like there was any closure with the band (and that's fine). They were kind of doing their thing, and then it just stopped, but no big fuss was made of it. That's how this song feels too. I feel like the next track is about to begin, but then you realize it's the end of the road. Like instead of going out on some super heavy note with some profound rhyme, they just lay a classic "money makin' New York City" and drop the mics. Solid to the end.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM
crazy sniffable

if you recall, the original version/tracklisting for the record began with Tadlock's Glasses, which begins with a slowed down, filtered version of the "new york city" shout that ends Lisa Lisa, and essentially the entire album. So considering, the entire album was originally supposed to start and end with that same NYC shout out.

Food for thought.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
if you recall, the original version/tracklisting for the record began with Tadlock's Glasses, which begins with a slowed down, filtered version of the "new york city" shout that ends Lisa Lisa, and essentially the entire album. So considering, the entire album was originally supposed to start and end with that same NYC shout out.

Food for thought.

Wow, I had never noticed that. Mind blown, good call!

As for a "closure" for the band, in my mind that was their induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was just a few days before Yauch passed I believe, and felt like a bookend moment unfortunately. That being said, I have their last performance from Bonnaroo 09 bookmarked and have never been able to bring myself to watch it.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post

Food for thought.
Yep, great point

Always disappointed (in retrospect) that they didn't stick with Tadlock's as an opener. Not only for that reason, but it was just a good against-type beginning (traditionally they kick things off with a bang). Original track-listing is what I have on my ipod anyway, an immensely satisfying listen.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Original track-listing is what I have on my ipod anyway, an immensely satisfying listen.
Same. Replaced TMR remix with the OG and added Pop Your Balloon and B-Boys in the Cut in the original Part 1 track order.

01 Tadlock's Glasses
02 B-Boys in the Cut
03 Make Some Noise
04 Nonstop Disco Powerpack
05 OK
06 Too Many Rappers [ft. Nas] (OG Version)
07 Say It
08 The Bill Harper Collection
09 Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win [ft. Santigold]
10 Long Burn the Fire
11 Funky Donkey
12 Lee Majors Come Again
13 Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament
14 Pop Your Balloon
15 Crazy Ass Shit
16 Here's a Little Something for Ya
17 The Lisa Lisa / Full Force Routine

Last edited by Micodin : 04-13-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 AM

Yeah - I just think it flows better. And little things: I'm a big fan of B-Boys In The Cut, so it's inclusion is welcome. But it comes in nicely after Tadlock's outro. And also The Larry Routine comes in naturally at the end. On Part 2 it feels a bit tacked on (I forget where it comes in on the second track listing).

It's great they still got the album out and there was obviously a positive undercurrent that maybe Yauch was getting better. But it's interesting how, given time to sit on something, there will always be changes. I obviously think they shoulda stick with it the original track listing (and front cover for that matter) but I can see why you'd feel the need to make alterations after two years. It's probably fair to say Zdar's mix was necessary too but I imagine that would be contested if we heard the original in its entirety.

Anyway... this is a well-timed thread. Although I liked the album when it came out, it had this huge cloud still hanging over it (for all of us I'm sure). I've found it difficult to really enjoy the record, given the prelude and the tragic aftermath. Like even though the FFYRR Make Some Noise video is brilliant, it's hard to enjoy. I think just the three guys including a healthy and recovered Yauch rapping in front of a beige wall would have been more heartwarming for everyone if possible.

But although Yauch's passing will always sadden me, I have found myself able to enjoy HSC a lot more recently. It's also nice playing some of the tracks alongside other B-Boys classics. I did so on a playlist the other evening and me and my friends all thought the HSC stuff sounded amazing. Say It in particular rolled in after a couple of IC classics (Alright Heat This, Freak Freak) and really stood up.

A sad era forever but a memorable album nonetheless. I also now take some strange comfort knowing that it was recorded without any knowledge of what was to come.

Also: Did anyone on here make to the Asheville or Baltimore shows before Bonnaroo? I've always wondered how they did the chorus on B-Boys In The Cut, or if they just let MMM scratch it up.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
crazy sniffable

yeah, Tadlock's has always been my fav cut on the record. woulda been such a strange but rad way to begin the album.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote: