Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Groove Merchant

Default Joe and Tony's Barbershop???

First, is there/was there such a place in New York? If so, where is it & is it still in operation these days?
I'm pretty sure it's a real place because there's footage of a barber shop on one of the old Beastie Boys videos (either Sabatoge or Skills to pay the Bills). Also on one of Ricky Powells old shows there was a clip of Adrock getting his haircut by someone named Tony.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Da Pranksta

Default Re: Joe and Tony's Barbershop???

funny you should bring this subject up. I was talking to Laver about this a bit earlier and he brought it to my attention that either joe or tony had passed a few years back therefore they closed the shop.

"The chocolate easter bunny is like crack cocaine to a child."

-Mike D

Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 AM

Yeah, the shop was on lipsenard just south of canal. I push dollars, long dollars, over on greenwich and would get my chop cut over there every once and a while. t'was old school 'nuf that they had the playboys to read while you waited. anyways as with all barebershops in the cit'ay, the ruski's took helm.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Yeah...I think they've closed down due to someone passing away.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
FEVER RECORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla
Yeah, the shop was on lipsenard just south of canal. I push dollars, long dollars, over on greenwich and would get my chop cut over there every once and a while. t'was old school 'nuf that they had the playboys to read while you waited. anyways as with all barebershops in the cit'ay, the ruski's took helm.

thats how it is all over! theyre even taken over on long island.

the russians are coming! the russians are coming!

catch the FEVER! Get Fever t-shirts just like the ones the BEASTIE BOYS wore on the VH1 HIP HOP HONOR 2006 AWARDS!! www.FEVERRECORDS.com

Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Music est. 1986

A few years ago when I was vacationing in Manhattan, I was bored in my hotel room and went through the phone book to look up to see if there was a Joe and Toni’s barber shop, there were like 4
Old 09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Change your direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust
A few years ago when I was vacationing in Manhattan, I was bored in my hotel room and went through the phone book to look up to see if there was a Joe and Toni’s barber shop, there were like 4
They were all owned by sam and tony
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM

my dad is Joe who is alive & my Uncle Tony has passed, they sold the barbershop when they retired end of the 90s. It was on Church and Lispenard . My dad and uncle are in the Sabatoge Video/movie (not the music video) .
My dad and all of the family want to give our condolences to the Yauch family friends. My dad said all of them are great kids , and Adam Yauch was a complete gentlemen.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Prince Of Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorena View Post
my dad is Joe who is alive & my Uncle Tony has passed, they sold the barbershop when they retired end of the 90s. It was on Church and Lispenard . My dad and uncle are in the Sabatoge Video/movie (not the music video) .
My dad and all of the family want to give our condolences to the Yauch family friends. My dad said all of them are great kids , and Adam Yauch was a complete gentlemen.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM

that's really cool to hear...

i sort of feel like the ricky's theme characters might've been inspired by them a bit? i dunno, that's the way i thought of it

thanks for posting
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Cheech Wizard

Quote:
I titled a Beastie mix back in the day 6AM AND FREEZING because of the back and forth between your dad and your uncle. Their bit opens the mix and I've listened to it for years. Props to you for stopping by and sharing with us.

Cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by rmorena

Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Im going to check out the mix Matchstikk ,the dialogue between my dad and uncle was great. Also my Uncle singing to customer in the chair gets me everytime
M|X|Y I never thought about that ! lol
I only have one encounter meeting them or one of them , I took my mom one time to the barbershop to pick up my dad & uncle and Mike D happened to be in there. My dad introduced us to him & I still remember what he said, not even to me but to my mom. I was amazed at how courteous he was & in a soft spoken voice and while holding my moms hands he said " its such a pleasure meeting you Mrs Morena" . . just a simple greeting can tell you about a person. Class Act !
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

To this day I still quote one of them all time saying "it's freezing outside!...you said what time we got here Mike. We got here about 5 to 6."

That just cracks me up!

Is that clip on youtube? It needs to be...

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 05-12-2012, 05:05 PM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
my dad is Joe .
so glad you found a thread about your dad and uncle to post in.

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.