Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default Mike D- Sandy relief efforts and statement

pretty cool to see Mike helping out firsthand. and no big surprise.
it's also cool to see his new status as food/art dude bringing clout to a huge effort like this...

Quote:
To my friends and family: this maybe unprecedented. I don't think I have EVER emailed any of you directly asking for $ to support something, but what I have seen in Rockaway NY this past week in the aftermath of Sandy is beyond words and warrants immediate concerted efforts. It is much worse then the words or images we have seen in the media. We have a full on Katrina situation in our own back yard. It's now potentially far worse with freezing temperatures, and a potential long term power outage. There is no consistent source of hot food out there for residents or police and sanitation workers who are working so hard in 12hr shifts. At one point while distributing warm meals this week we encountered an entire block of folks who had not eaten in 2 days.

*All businesses except for one supermarket are shut. For now we have just been coordinating food being sent out from NYC restaurants and getting it distributed out there.

*We have coordinated a food truck staffed by NYC restaurants for the next 2 months starting this weekend. So far we have: Sam Talbot from Surf Lodge, the Fat Radish, Spotted Pig/ Breslin, Back 40, L'artusi/ D'ell Anima, Peels/Freeman's, and Zach Lynd. Each restaurant will handle one day a week.

* Everyday there will be a balanced menu served from the truck serving people a steady availability of warm and healthy meals.

*In order to do our part in the clean up and rebuilding of Rockaway, the truck will operate for the next 2 months. We have already secured a site with 24 hr security that will house the truck and a container for supplies as well as the necessary NYPD and on the street distribution connections. All of this enables us to do outreach, getting food to people shut in or stranded in their apartments and homes.

So we have infrastructure and great restaurants involved, but of course as with all things, $ are required to make the program run and get folks fed, that’s where YOU come in.

Our estimated expenses for the 2 month run are rapidly adding up. Please help by donating at the link below. All donations are fully tax deductable. To my friends that are just making it, please give what you can. TO MY PHILANTHROPIC HOMIES, THIS IS THE TIME TO GO BIG.

http://www.wavesforwater.org/fundrai...te-lunch-truck

Thanks

Mike Diamond and Robert Mckinley
and last night there was a Bones Brigade documentary screening in San Francisco to help the NYC Food Truck project that Mike D and his MOCA co-designer Robert McKinley started.

a whole bunch of original Bones Brigade and Beastie Boys memorabilia was auctioned off and Tommy Guerrero DJ'd while Ian C Rogers of Topspin hosted with director Stacy Peralta on skype

http://bonesbrigade.com/sf/

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Default Re: Mike D- Sandy relief efforts and statement

Yes it is!!! I read that the other day and thought damn okay it is worse than I thought myself. Definitely sending some donations their way.

Thank you Mike D, you are an amazing person with a huge heart.

Yauch would be proud of you right now!

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM

I was at the Bones Brigade event last night. It was a good turn out and the documentary is good. Good event and awesome of Mike and the others involved to do this

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM

that's really great props, mike d

not that he isnt going above and beyond already... just an idea:

why don't they dig up a song and put it on sale on the website for $3, all proceeds (minus i guess whatever it would cost to do the whole thing) go to this effort? any fan would jump to that. motivating passive people can be hard.

something in high demand out that will bring the fans out.

edit: maybe this is already in the works or maybe not for a very good reason.
in a world gone mad

Last edited by M|X|Y : 11-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Yeah some fans sent me pictures of him helping out the other day... Really cool Mike! Luv yaaaaaaaaaaa

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
and always ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
pretty cool to see Mike helping out firsthand. and no big surprise.
it's also cool to see his new status as food/art dude bringing clout to a huge effort like this...

and last night there was a Bones Brigade documentary screening in San Francisco to help the NYC Food Truck project that Mike D and his MOCA co-designer Robert McKinley started.

a whole bunch of original Bones Brigade and Beastie Boys memorabilia was auctioned off and Tommy Guerrero DJ'd while Ian C Rogers of Topspin hosted with director Stacy Peralta on skype

We're you able to go to this? It's so cool to see all the ways people are helping
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Fair Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post

I liked that documentary. Disappointed that there was no Mariano, Barbee, Hill, or any real street skaters from the late 80s. Mullen eventually became one, but a lot later at World. Skate or die.

©MMIX. All rights reserved.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM
I don't say "hella"

This is wonderful. Well done, Mike.

I once was lost but now I'm found...the music washes over and you're one with the sound.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Often mistaken for NPH

Smile Re: Mike D- Sandy relief efforts and statement

A picture of Mike D with a group of others was on Meet the Press this morning. With about 10 minutes to go in the show, they were showing pictures of people helping out on Thanksgiving and there is a shot of Mike with others standing by the back of a truck. When Sandy struck, I kept thinking that this is something that Yauch would have been all over, doing everything he could to try and help the people of his beloved city. I was glad to see that Mike, and I'm sure Adrock are carrying on his legacy of helping others (not to say that they didn't do that already).

It feels good to play a little music, tears running down my face because I love to do it.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
rebel in black

His sons were there as well, helping.
some gossip site

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
FEVER RECORDS

I hope Mike D sees this......

I was affected as well in massapequa. I had almost 3 feet of water in my home. lost alll my furniture and my car. I doubt anyone would care but i wanted to let everyone know that we were hit very hard as well. I appreciate Mike's willingness to help others in need.

catch the FEVER! Get Fever t-shirts just like the ones the BEASTIE BOYS wore on the VH1 HIP HOP HONOR 2006 AWARDS!! www.FEVERRECORDS.com