Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

i understand what you’re saying, i just think you’re wrong and going the wrong way about it. i’m just bored of all the bitching is all.

and if it’s that important to you, write your own book about the band and recognize the people that you felt were slighted or left out. no one is stopping you. i’m sure people would buy it. do something positive about it the situation is my only solution.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
oh, that explains a lot. you must be a big fan of the band.
You are probably a bigger fan than I am. I'm okay with that. But up through CYH you should believe me that I basically idolized those guys.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
and if it’s that important to you, write your own book about the band and recognize the people that you felt were slighted or left out. no one is stopping you.

i'll just recognize them on the bbmb, i aint got time for all that shit
Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 AM

I agree with Micodin! It’s not like those guys weren’t even mentioned in the book. I think it’s pretty obvious from reading it how much of an impact Mario had and how important he was. Hurra too clearly played a part, although he always struck me as a stands-there-and-plays-the-right-record type DJ. But he’s not been wiped from their history, and I don’t expect all the details from any ‘fallout’ or whatever to be included. It’s not that sort of book is it - they’re not even particularly hard on Russell / Def Jam etc. And they just don’t seem the settling scores / here’s some juicy gossip for you type.

I’m just not sure what people expect...most books of this kind don’t allow so many outside contributions, yet the boys get slammed for missing out certain people. You can’t please everyone. I imagine logistically it is hard to get everyone involved anyway. Besides, even those who made literary contributions - such as MMM - I mean it’s hardly game changing stuff is it? Aside from one or two sharp essays, a lot of the guest material is expendable. Like Ricky Powell himself!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Up in your Crawlspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post

I’m just not sure what people expect...most books of this kind don’t allow so many outside contributions, yet the boys get slammed for missing out certain people. You can’t please everyone. I imagine logistically it is hard to get everyone involved anyway. Besides, even those who made literary contributions - such as MMM - I mean it’s hardly game changing stuff is it? Aside from one or two sharp essays, a lot of the guest material is expendable. Like Ricky Powell himself!
While I agree with this, and I agree that MMM didn't add too much, I feel that Mario would have a lot to say. He was there for some major Beastie Boys recordings, hanging out and hitting record for many years. He was a major player, probably one of the biggest other than the boys themselves.

Keep it on

Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 PM

I 100% accept that if there is a strong case for an inexplicable omission from the guest contributors - for whatever reason - then Mario C is it. Definitely earned the title of the 4th Beastie. And I agree it would have been nice / interesting to hear from the man himself.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleystp View Post
While I agree with this, and I agree that MMM didn't add too much, I feel that Mario would have a lot to say. He was there for some major Beastie Boys recordings, hanging out and hitting record for many years. He was a major player, probably one of the biggest other than the boys themselves.
Not only did he just hit record, he set up the mics and the studio, which is a huge contribution in and of itself. He also made beats with them, found and looped samples with them, wrote songs with them (more than anybody else I think?) and even sang "fucked up vocals" on... I'm blanking on the song, I know it's off CYH... maybe SGTG(?)... ALL of that is huge.

Even though I agree with everybody saying "the book is the book..." i do feel leaving his voice out completely was an odd choice. Same goes for $Mark. I bet he'd have had a story or two. Even an interjectiomn that'd have been worth reading.

However if you dig around the webs you can find a lot of interviews and articles about Mario's take on recording/producing/engineering/mixing the BBoys. It's all been said already. So what do I know?

FWIW, I'd also would have LOVED to hear what DJ Double R had to say. In the same way Kate got to have her say (which is one of my favorite parts of the book.)

But whatevs. I LOVE the book. Keep it on the toilet and read it often. Been looking forward to grabbing the audio book one of these days and deep diving into that experience.

message board

Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
But whatevs. I LOVE the book. Keep it on the toilet and read it often. Been looking forward to grabbing the audio book one of these days and deep diving into that experience.
i did the trifecta when it came out. book, audiobook and ebook. the audiobook is great for long car/plane rides (and it has extra treats in it) and the ebook is great for the phone and iPad to follow along or for the backpack (and it’s less bulkier) and i too agree the book is great for the toilet haha. lots of quick stories in there.

speaking of books, Glen E Friedman’s new book Together Forever is out and holy shit is it good. there’s a ton of pics i’ve never seen before and it makes a great addition to the Beastie books collection. but i’m sure someone will find something to whinge about lols.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

I’ll add a couple of points. I attended the LA book event and Mario was there. I spoke to him real briefly and said I wished he had a little feature/article/story in the book. He replied with how they had enough folks involved and seemed perfectly fine with it.

Also- for anyone who hasn’t gotten the audiobook- there’s something magical about hearing Adam and Mike tell their stories. Some of the guest readers worked great and some not so much. Highly recommend!

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 10-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
I’ll add a couple of points. I attended the LA book event and Mario was there. I spoke to him real briefly and said I wished he had a little feature/article/story in the book. He replied with how they had enough folks involved and seemed perfectly fine with it.
cool. Good to hear.

I'd love to read a whole book by Mario. His personal story coming up, buying up gear, partnering with $mark etc. it's a great American success story, for sure. And he has so many pearls of wisdom about studio techniques across all the bands he's worked with.

message board

Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Arrow Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post

Also- for anyone who hasn’t gotten the audiobook- there’s something magical about hearing Adam and Mike tell their stories. Some of the guest readers worked great and some not so much. Highly recommend!
Agree. Mixmaster Mike's section is 50 times better when you listen to him read it over that bugged out beat.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Agree. Mixmaster Mike's section is 50 times better when you listen to him read it over that bugged out beat.
Sweet. I've been wondering if there was music in the audio book. READING the book felt like listening to a new album (to me) so I can only imagine listening to them tell the stories with occasional beats is even better.

message board

Old 10-07-2019, 11:13 AM
crazy sniffable

i listen to the audio book nearly monthly, every time im in nyc for work. its fantastic. however i do always skip the MMM and Roy Choi sections. the cookie puss bit is a bit longwinded and unnecessary as well. i feel these interjections work alot better as extra treats in the book format, but not so much as audio excerpts..

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 10-08-2019, 05:45 AM
MCL with a story to tell

Just to add regarding their friendship with Mario C. Mario appeared on Mike D’s Echo Chamber Hello Nasty Anniversary show last year, so I’d imagine they’re still all good with him! Here’s a link to a recording I made of the episode. Hopefully Mike wouldn’t mind me sharing it with you guys! Well worth a listen!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlullh4f3p...rsary.m4a?dl=0
Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: Let the Record Show Ep. 30: DJ Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin MCL View Post
Just to add regarding their friendship with Mario C. Mario appeared on Mike D’s Echo Chamber Hello Nasty Anniversary show last year, so I’d imagine they’re still all good with him! Here’s a link to a recording I made of the episode. Hopefully Mike wouldn’t mind me sharing it with you guys! Well worth a listen!

That was dope, thanks!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

message board

Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM
MCL with a story to tell

Here’s the episode with Ad-Rock from the time of the book launch if ye are interested! Those are the only 2 I’ve got, but I can take requests and try and do some more in future if I get a little free time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7kqv4r7pw...-Rock.m4a?dl=0
Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Here’s the episode with Ad-Rock from the time of the book launch if ye are interested! Those are the only 2 I’ve got, but I can take requests and try and do some more in future if I get a little free time!

Thanks so much for these! If you have
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM

yes.. thank so much for these. my first listen of the echo chamber made possible by you
Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmanuk View Post
Thanks so much for these! If you have
Brmanuk, every time I see you pst, and see where you are from I can't help but say to myself " This one's for NEWCASTLE, Where Venom come from!"

That's all.

message board

Old 10-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I want to hear the Q-Tip one! I need to try to figure out how to get these in my car.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 AM
crazy sniffable

oh yeah, Q-Tip episode please!

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 10-18-2019, 02:01 PM

LL Cool J interviewing the Beastie Boys from Jan 2019 is up on demand now if you missed it... it was really good:

https://player.siriusxm.com/now-playing

You don't have to be a subscriber to hear it.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 AM
MCL with a story to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I want to hear the Q-Tip one! I need to try to figure out how to get these in my car.
Ask and you shall receive! I made this one an mp3 so maybe it'll be easier to use in the car, as I find that's definitely the best place to listen to these! Bonus artwork included too.

I might move this sort of thing to PMs in future if there is interest. I keep an Apple Music subscription instead of Spotify just for Mike's show and I highly recommend it, but I do miss some Spotify features and the Apple Music UI isn't always the best, but it's improving.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vaneyaev1...jH8ceuKca?dl=0
Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 AM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive! I made this one an mp3 so maybe it'll be easier to use in the car, as I find that's definitely the best place to listen to these! Bonus artwork included too.

I might move this sort of thing to PMs in future if there is interest. I keep an Apple Music subscription instead of Spotify just for Mike's show and I highly recommend it, but I do miss some Spotify features and the Apple Music UI isn't always the best, but it's improving.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vaneyaev1...jH8ceuKca?dl=0
Oh man. Thanks!!!!!!!!