Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM

Default Desperado

Ok, it's 2015 and I still don't have the Tougher Than Leather version of Desperado.

What gives?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Arrow Re: Desperado

I think about this A LOT!

Seems to me there are three stumbling blocks.

First, it's unclear how well Rick, Russell and the Beasties get along. I'm fairly certain that Rick Ruben has the tapes because the demo with the full version came from American Recordings. Rick has to have this sitting in the vault. Rick has got to have the clout to get the track put out on the "Def Jam" end.

Second, even assuming Rick and the Beasties felt it was worth putting out and could work out the rights and money, I feel pretty sure Adam wouldn't want his "quit my job cause my boss is a ____" line out there.

Third, there could be some sample clearance issues there.

But you know, fuck it. Suck up the beef for this one track, cut that line, or cut the whole verse if you need to, pay for the samples and put out the track out with whatever else they can dig up (like the Jerry Lewis cut.)

I mean, that cut is BANGING! It's classic License to Ill time capsule shit and you can't just recreate that type of thing.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:41 PM
High Plains Drifter

Default Re: Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
But you know, fuck it. Suck up the beef for this one track, cut that line, or cut the whole verse if you need to, pay for the samples and put out the track out with whatever else they can dig up (like the Jerry Lewis cut.)
I'm not a fan of censoring it, it is what it is.
Or at least just bleep it, don't cut the whole line out.

"BEASTIE BOYS Will Forever Be 1 of the BIGGEST inspirations 4 me in music & life."
-Busta Rhymes

Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Tella Tillas

I tell you who sounds a little desperado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim wont fix it View Post
Hitler was RIGHT wing you stupid fuckbeast

Old 09-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Some guy did a pretty good instrumental recreation version thats floating around youtube. I just wished it had the vocals. At one point in life my Tougher than Leather VHS was almost burned out from rewinding and watching that one clip.

The movie was a flop, Beasties wanted out of their contract, too bad that soundtrack never came out.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Some guy did a pretty good instrumental recreation version thats floating around youtube. I just wished it had the vocals. At one point in life my Tougher than Leather VHS was almost burned out from rewinding and watching that one clip.

The movie was a flop, Beasties wanted out of their contract, too bad that soundtrack never came out.
That's Jorun Bombay. That guy is a bad ass. He recreates classic hip hop beats from scratch and does a damn good job at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMmHJQBVwUs
Old 09-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, it's 2015 and I still don't have the Tougher Than Leather version of Desperado.

What gives?
I'm still waiting for that too. I remember wanting to hear this and it finally appeared...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAE8jkPl7aM
Old 09-28-2015, 09:05 PM
technically insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAE8jkPl7aM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMmHJQBVwUs

these both remind me why I come here.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post
^Yes...

Then I had to go and find this that I haven't seen in a while
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmKJfxy3zk

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
^Yes...

Slow & Low live in 1992 ('91 here?) is the dopest of all shit.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Listening to that Desperado instrumental I just realized that the little rhythm guitar sample in there is Cecil Holmes 2001 Space Odyssey. That was the only one I couldn't figure out before.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM
technically insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
^Yes...

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM

I've always been hungry for this track ever since I saw the scene from TOUGHER THAN LEATHER. The 3 tracks that we know about that were left off that album to me are just awesome. It's like DELETED SCENES from the GODFATHER. It just such a treat to hear stuff from THAT era. Because they just had such a unique sound that was not quite there yet with the ROCK HARD EP and was not there at all with PAULS. Pauls was it own Best as well. It seems like every album that came out after people would compare it to Pauls. I remember when HELLO NASTY came out and people were saying in interviews that it was like Pauls Boutique. No way. The guys were, who they were then and that time capsule of sound is contained in those recording sessions. Just like ILL, It was its own sound and time.

So It just makes me wonder once again what snippets did DEF JAM have and still have in their vaults? What did they have to think "WHITE HOUSE" was even remotely possible? It had to be more than those 3 tracks. "I'm Down" was cut because of Beatles Licensing issues as we all know. So that leaves Desperado and Scenario. In interviews they are always so vague about it. I remember when Mike D was once asked about what all they had he said..."They don't have much" Well what? I'm so god damn curious??

Because I love that Album. I love that sound. It's what got me on board. Pauls is and always will be my favorite. But Ill got me started. So those 2 are like the scared cows or my Beastie Boy Religion. Anything new, demo, unreleased from that era is GOLD to me. Now the internet is so flooded with crap that other people have made, which is okay and some of that stuff is cool. But its hard to sift and find genuine MIXES from that time period if they even exist.

I've always wondered about the song the BEASTIE BOYS sang at LIVE shows to try and get girls in the AUDIENCE to show their tits? Does anyone else remember reading about this? Is their bootleg live shows from that ERA? I think it was in ROLLING STONE or something where they actually wrote a few of the lines...Something like "Well all the fine girlies with the big bouncey breasts?" something like that? I wanted to go see them live during that tour and I remember just getting so much grief from my parents as this was all over the news about how horrible their live shows were. Where they had a giant hydraulic cock on the stage and apparently they said "FUCK" a lot. Ooooo!

I know the guys look at these times as their immature years, and I get that. I hate seeing video of myself in highschool. but man I was an immature kid myself when I fell in love with this album and its sentimental to me. So anything NEW from that era is just so sweet.

Speaking of lost treasures. I know I've talked about this before too. But the PAULS DEMOS obviously there is more. I think I remember someone saying they only got one side of a tape or part of them or something like that? I would love love love to hear more of those. I remember reading the lyrics on the album insert to SHAKE YOUR RUMP and thought it was so weird that it says "Now randy listen I rock a house party at the drop of a hat" But then when I heard the DEMOS I was like oh, geeze the lyrics are different all over the place. But i love that. Its like getting a sequel to my favorite album.

But yeah DESPERADO. I hope and pray that someday it will get a release. As well as maybe one? or two? OTHER tracks from that time period that we don't even know about. OPEN THE VAULTS DEF JAM!!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Nice post Mattt!

Have you heard this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZ3fk2YZkc
Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Nice post Mattt!

Have you heard this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZ3fk2YZkc
That's hilarious! I wonder if this is the very track that, that one dude said he had back when we're talking about this 4 years ago? And there was a time before that we were talking about it and the guy who leaked the Pauls Demo's joined the convo. If so I think this is the same guy who is resposible for some figgy-phat fly Beastie Gold residing in my iTunes library. These unreleased tracks are god damned royality in my HOUSE....and when I say whose house?

http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=97759
Old 12-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttpotter View Post
That's hilarious! I wonder if this is the very track that, that one dude said he had back when we're talking about this 4 years ago? And there was a time before that we were talking about it and the guy who leaked the Pauls Demo's joined the convo. If so I think this is the same guy who is resposible for some figgy-phat fly Beastie Gold residing in my iTunes library. These unreleased tracks are god damned royality in my HOUSE....and when I say whose house?

http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=97759
Ha! Yeah, it is, and that's me in that thread. After Yauch passed I was like "this needs to be out there"!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, it is, and that's me in that thread. After Yauch passed I was like "this needs to be out there"!
Sir skratch a lot - please check your private messages
Old 12-23-2015, 06:18 PM
FEVER RECORDS

Chuck d was supposed to help with the remix/white house album but when he saw that the beasties were serious with music, he opted out, professionally. I'm sure he may know of the unreleased tracks.

catch the FEVER! Get Fever t-shirts just like the ones the BEASTIE BOYS wore on the VH1 HIP HOP HONOR 2006 AWARDS!! www.FEVERRECORDS.com

Old 12-23-2015, 06:29 PM
FEVER RECORDS

Wow....I can't believe I was part of that whole scandle!!

catch the FEVER! Get Fever t-shirts just like the ones the BEASTIE BOYS wore on the VH1 HIP HOP HONOR 2006 AWARDS!! www.FEVERRECORDS.com

Old 12-30-2015, 10:43 AM
space cake cookie

so amazing still having this conversation all these years later.

i love all of you.

PS - we're never going to get that version, I don't believe it exists.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
so amazing still having this conversation all these years later.

i love all of you.

PS - we're never going to get that version, I don't believe it exists.
Think about it though, it has to exist. If you listen to the version in Tougher than Leather, it sounds like a fully polished studio recording. It sounds fully mixed and mastered. It would be kind of odd for them to record only the parts shown in the movie.

My best guess is that they recorded that track for the movie thinking the Beasties would stay on Def Jam but then when they fell out that changed things and the master tape is sitting somewhere in Rick's archives.

It's possible that the track didn't end up on the soundtrack to the move because the Beastie's left Def Jam and the rights weren't clear. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Beastie's fell out with Def Jam by the end of 87 (they fininshed touring in August and Def Jam wanted them to go right back into the studio, etc.). Tougher than Leather didn't come out until September of 1988.

I wonder whether they had already agreed to have the song in the movie but the rights weren't as clear as far as a proper release and then everything got shelved due to the dispute.

It's got to be out there somewhere.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
It's got to be out there somewhere.
bump. it's got to be out there somewheres.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:00 PM
space cake cookie

Quote:
bump. it's got to be out there somewheres.
you got me, this lit up and i thought....finally.

good to bump though. the holy grail.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM

Here's the latest "full" mix of Desperado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk5uuFm6BM
Old 05-09-2021, 05:42 PM

the best re-creation yet. falls apart a bit in the last verse. the beat maker in me wants to nitpick but it’s pretty solid. still makes me yearn for the Rick Rubin final version that we’ll never get tho.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama View Post
Here's the latest "full" mix of Desperado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk5uuFm6BM
Those gunshots! Haha. Nice one.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:46 AM
ps I love you

Great work!

It's a Lion....YEA!

Old 05-13-2021, 07:00 AM

nice!

message board

Old 05-14-2021, 03:03 PM
space cake cookie

love this but you gotta bring back the "faggot"

great work though

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 05-15-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttpotter View Post
I've always been hungry for this track ever since I saw the scene from TOUGHER THAN LEATHER. The 3 tracks that we know about that were left off that album to me are just awesome. It's like DELETED SCENES from the GODFATHER. It just such a treat to hear stuff from THAT era. Because they just had such a unique sound that was not quite there yet with the ROCK HARD EP and was not there at all with PAULS. Pauls was it own Best as well. It seems like every album that came out after people would compare it to Pauls. I remember when HELLO NASTY came out and people were saying in interviews that it was like Pauls Boutique. No way. The guys were, who they were then and that time capsule of sound is contained in those recording sessions. Just like ILL, It was its own sound and time.

So It just makes me wonder once again what snippets did DEF JAM have and still have in their vaults? What did they have to think "WHITE HOUSE" was even remotely possible? It had to be more than those 3 tracks. "I'm Down" was cut because of Beatles Licensing issues as we all know. So that leaves Desperado and Scenario. In interviews they are always so vague about it. I remember when Mike D was once asked about what all they had he said..."They don't have much" Well what? I'm so god damn curious??

Because I love that Album. I love that sound. It's what got me on board. Pauls is and always will be my favorite. But Ill got me started. So those 2 are like the scared cows or my Beastie Boy Religion. Anything new, demo, unreleased from that era is GOLD to me. Now the internet is so flooded with crap that other people have made, which is okay and some of that stuff is cool. But its hard to sift and find genuine MIXES from that time period if they even exist.

I've always wondered about the song the BEASTIE BOYS sang at LIVE shows to try and get girls in the AUDIENCE to show their tits? Does anyone else remember reading about this? Is their bootleg live shows from that ERA? I think it was in ROLLING STONE or something where they actually wrote a few of the lines...Something like "Well all the fine girlies with the big bouncey breasts?" something like that? I wanted to go see them live during that tour and I remember just getting so much grief from my parents as this was all over the news about how horrible their live shows were. Where they had a giant hydraulic cock on the stage and apparently they said "FUCK" a lot. Ooooo!

I know the guys look at these times as their immature years, and I get that. I hate seeing video of myself in highschool. but man I was an immature kid myself when I fell in love with this album and its sentimental to me. So anything NEW from that era is just so sweet.

Speaking of lost treasures. I know I've talked about this before too. But the PAULS DEMOS obviously there is more. I think I remember someone saying they only got one side of a tape or part of them or something like that? I would love love love to hear more of those. I remember reading the lyrics on the album insert to SHAKE YOUR RUMP and thought it was so weird that it says "Now randy listen I rock a house party at the drop of a hat" But then when I heard the DEMOS I was like oh, geeze the lyrics are different all over the place. But i love that. Its like getting a sequel to my favorite album.

But yeah DESPERADO. I hope and pray that someday it will get a release. As well as maybe one? or two? OTHER tracks from that time period that we don't even know about. OPEN THE VAULTS DEF JAM!!
Yep, all you wrote is how l feel and felt. Even the "now randy" bit

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"