Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Often mistaken for NPH

Default My Letter to Adam

I haven't been on here in a long time prior to this past week, and I haven't posted in several years. The last time I posted was probably around AIFST. Its still kind of unreal to me, and despite all the news coverage it still doesn't seem quite real. Late last night when I was waiting for the bus home, I lifted up a prayer to Adam wherever he is hoping that he could hear it, and in the process I had the first real good tears flow since I got the news last week. I thought that as part of my own healing process, I would share a letter I wrote to Adam last summer. I had not sent him a get well card immediately after his illness was announced like many did. But I had come back on here, found the address to send them to, and wrote up a short letter and mailed it to the address with a get well card I made him. I have no idea if Adam ever read the letter or saw the card, but I remember reading somewhere Adam talking about reading the cards he had been sent and there is a part of me that will forever hope he did get my card and letter. I have spent so much time this past week reading stories and watching videos. Despite the sorrow, I have also smiled and laughed a lot as I have recalled the countless hours of joy the Adam and the Beastie Boys have brought to my life. Below is the letter I sent to Adam last year.

Dear Adam,
When I was reading about Fight For Your Right Revisited before it came out I read that while you are doing better, you are not 100% cancer free yet. I thought since I didn’t send you a get well card when you first announced your illness I would now. I must say, I really enjoyed FFYRR, well done. I’m loving the new album, I can’t seem to stop listening to it. I also thought I would take this opportunity to tell you how much your music has meant to me in my life.
I first discovered the Beastie Boys when Hello Nasty came out when I was in eighth grade (clearly I’m on the younger end of your fan base). I got the album and really enjoyed it which made me want to find more of your music. I own every Beastie Boys album and through all the music acts that have come and gone from my musical tastes over the years, the one constant has been that the Beastie Boys have remained my favorite group. I love your music for several reasons, the clever samples, the upbeat rhythms, the lyrics which range from goofy, yet clever, to deeply insightful, and the positive messages you promote. If I had to describe the overarching theme of your music one way, I would say that your music is about a celebration of life. It’s a celebration of relationships, experience, talents, and everything that is right with the world. Whenever a Beastie Boys track comes on, I can’t help but smile and pick up my step a bit. I cannot even begin to tell you about the countless hours of joy your music has brought to my life.
I moved to Washington, DC nearly a year ago for graduate school, and right away I encountered a pleasant surprise. I was visiting the Smithsonian Museum of American History in August and there was a temporary exhibit on the Apollo Theatre. As I was exploring the exhibit I came across a display dedicated to none other than the Beastie Boys! It was a great thrill to see you all recognized by the Smithsonian. I have enclosed a couple pictures I took of the display and one other picture they displayed in the exhibit. I apologize for the lighting and that one of them is a bit blurry, clearly my photography skills still need improvement. I hope then next time you all tour you perform in Washington. I had the great pleasure of seeing you in Detroit in 2007, and it was my favorite concert that I have ever attended. I hope someday to get the chance to meet you all. It would be the thrill of a lifetime to hang out with you all, even for only a few minutes. I hope this letter finds you well, I wish you the best for a full and speedy recovery. Give my best to Mike and Adam.
A fan for life,

P.S. The picture on the card is from Halloween 2010. I am the one of the right, and the guy in the picture with me is someone I had never met before that night. Somehow, we both happened to have the idea for a Sabotage themed costume. How cool is that?

It feels good to play a little music, tears running down my face because I love to do it.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Online Since 1999

Default Re: My Letter to Adam

so beatiful. thanks for sharing.

beastiemixes.com

Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Re: My Letter to Adam

Man, I really wish I could cry more easily after reading this... definitely need to.