Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Re: New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

The Lee Majors Come Again 7" promo were given away on RSD, and JSBE did a 12" with an imitation Def Jam sleeve that had covers of She's On It and Jack The Ripper.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Arrow Re: New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
The Lee Majors Come Again 7" promo were given away on RSD, and JSBE did a 12" with an imitation Def Jam sleeve that had covers of She's On It and Jack The Ripper.
I had forgotten about the Lee Majors thing! That was not a typical RSD release though was it? I vaguely remember it being some type of scavenger hunt sort of thing or something instead of the typical RSD release.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I had forgotten about the Lee Majors thing! That was not a typical RSD release though was it? I vaguely remember it being some type of scavenger hunt sort of thing or something instead of the typical RSD release.
Was this the same Lee Major 7" that came in the deluxe edition of the Check Your Head box set?
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Arrow Re: New Sabotage Vinyl Bootleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Was this the same Lee Major 7" that came in the deluxe edition of the Check Your Head box set?
My understanding is that it was. I can't remember the circumstances exactly and can't find the thread but there was a guy on this board who scored one on Record Store Day (perhaps it was the release day for the album but I think it was Record Store Day). It was definitely one of those things where your chances of actually getting the wax through this promotion were very limited. I'm actually a little surprised that the 7" is as readily available as it is because the only ways I've heard of it being available are through this limited RSD event and the Check Your Head boxset, and my understanding was that most boxsets didn't have the record.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Huh, I didn't know that! Pretty cool I suppose.

Wasn't the band (or maybe just Adrock) putting random 7"s into some of the box sets as well? Like, just some records they had laying around? I thought I remembered them going on some late night show and the host (can't remember if it was Conan or somebody else) opened his and Le Freak was included as a bonus. Maybe that was just for the show?
Old 06-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Exactly the same. Stores weren't guaranteed copies. I checked my son out of school and we drove from GA to a place in Tennessee that had 2 copies, we're the first two there, and got 2 copies.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-27-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:36 AM

The Sabotage 3" releases are now all over Ebay for 40 bucks minimum. How are people getting a hold of these before the release date? Promos? Or you think someone is bootlegging them already?
Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Not bootlegging. Monetizing what was originally intended to support/drive traffic to brick and mortar sellers by encouraging people to sit on their ass and order them instead. It honestly makes me want to vomit.

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 06-28-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
Not bootlegging. Monetizing what was originally intended to support/drive traffic to brick and mortar sellers by encouraging people to sit on their ass and order them instead. It honestly makes me want to vomit.
Yeah, I've always disliked the flagrant flipping that goes on in the record world. I was just wondering how they're selling them right now if the record isn't even available, unless they'll send them later and are just not disclosing that.

This whole release is fine and good, but I kind of have issues with it on both sides. First off, for a "global" event (RSD), 2500 copies is nowhere near enough. This is just begging for people to buy as many as they can and sell them for a shit load. But the release itself seems to miss the point a bit. Why release a weird format that you (supposedly) need a special mini turntable for? I get it - to make more money. But if the idea is to get people into indie record stores, why not make it more appealing to the average person?

I work with someone in his early 70s who was way into soul and funk and all that jazz (no quasi-pun intended) when he was younger. I mentioned in passing one day that I was going to the record store to pick up an album and he was genuinely surprised to know that when people said "record store" they literally meant stores with vinyl records in them. He assumed those were long gone by now. We went down and he found all these old records that he used to have but lost over the years and was so excited to know he could buy Ohio Players "Skin Tight" for $10.

In my mind, RSD is about getting people back to shopping for physical music in a physical store run by normal people. I'm making way too much out of this one release, but it just seems like we're edging toward a much more highly commercial, "branded" thing.