#421  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 AM
a.k.a me a.k.a me is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Soviet Korea
Posts: 156
Exclamation Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randetica View Post
same, same and same
the only reason for me to go online been the beasties then, i was so excited finding a picture i havent seen yet or finding an interview i havent read yet
and before i had internet i used to buy shit expensive music books only cause it had 1 beastie picture inside etc.
with my sister i watched all the recorded beastie stuff over and over again aswell (though my sister lost her interest in them years ago)
i was a real fanatic, now i still love them but in a more mature/relaxed way lol
been 14 years for me too

ill always have enough room in my heart for beastie love
Woah, you just described me. I'd save every picture, record everything/anything, even it if was a 5 second clip-I HAD to have it... parallel universe...

Last edited by a.k.a me : 05-08-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM
nypb nypb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yankee in TX
Posts: 196
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Yet another great story from a friend of a friend:

http://www.retrocrush.com/index.php/2012/05/r-i-p-mca/

I still feel awful BTW. Condolences to Mike and Adam.



"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
DJ Pioneer DJ Pioneer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 301
Unhappy Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I miss MCA, not that I knew him personally, but it's sad knowing he's not there anymore. It's always nice seeing people age gracefully. Adam was settling into a groove. In addition to different types of music, he also had a passion for film and video. He was able to get O-scope off the ground, he directed a film and helped get other interesting films distributed. He was just hitting his stride with it. How unfortunate this timing is.

He showed us how people can constantly better themselves in life. He got increasingly responsible with his lyrics, he gave us words of wisdom, he smashed his gun and supported non-violence, he spoke out against racial-profiling after 9-11, he was out-spoken against our pointless wars in the Middle East...there was so much more he had to accomplish. Life isn't fair sometimes, but I'm happy that he's being remembered for all of the right reasons.

In addition to listening to his music countless times from growing up to the present, I used to read their lyrics and really listen in to his interviews. There was so much to get out of this man, whether it was about religion and spirituality or just some funny jokes. I miss you Adam.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
betaband betaband is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 168
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Been on and off this board since 98-99 with two different usernames but haven't been checking the board this heavily over the past couple of days in about a decade.

This has been a hard time but it's great to see all of the camaradarie here. There are usernames that I have been seeing for close to 15 years and it's a trip. Thanks everyone for helping me through this tough time. As soon as I heard the news I rushed to the board to be with you guys.

MCA is going to be missed dearly. The world is a crappier place without him.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
brooklyndust's Avatar
brooklyndust brooklyndust is offline
Music est. 1986
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Having lost two uncles and an aunt to cancer I have been down this road before. And if there is one positive that you can try to take away from the pain and suffering that is cancer, it is that you sometimes get a chance to say goodbye. A lot of people in this world leave suddenly without warning. They donít get a chance to say goodbye to their loved ones. They donít get a chance to make amends. They just leave unexpectedly and then the eulogies come later.
I hope that Adam got a chance to say goodbye and spend some quality time with his friends and family before leaving this world. I hope that he was able to receive all the love and respect that he is getting now. I hope that he knew how much of an impact he made on all of our lives.
I want to thank Sarah for starting the Power To MCA project. This was a chance to send positive vibes out to MCA and show him how much we all cared. I really hope that he got a chance to view the photos and stories. What I expressed through the Power to MCA project is the same feelings I want to express now. Thanks Adam and the group for helping me become the person I am today, thanks for expanding my musical knowledge, thanks for getting me through tough times, thanks for inspiring and teaching, thanks for being the soundtrack of my life. I could go on and on but I just want to say thanks. Itís called Gratitude.
Like most of you, I am completely gutted. On Friday night after work I walked around downtown for a couple of hours. It was nice hearing beasties being blasted from the record stores, radio stations and apartment windows. This past weekend it felt like the whole world was mourning Adam and paying tribute to the band at the same time.
Since he has passed I have been on the message board constantly. I must have read 100 different tributes and stories. I can relate to almost all them in some sort of way. Here is one of the many that I really liked:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...auch-1964-2012

This situation is tough. Itís tough that Adam is gone. But if I could pick one positive about this terrible situation, itís that the world is celebrating the life of a great man. The sentiments of Adamís life have been consistently positive and heartwarming. I have never been more proud to be a beastie boys fan. I have never been more proud to be a fan of Adam Yauch.
Rest In Peace Adam. I hope you continue to read the boards from the sky while your flying above. My thoughts go out to your family and friends.
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM
M.C. Guevera M.C. Guevera is offline
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Miami, Florida--Representing the 305
Posts: 1,050
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I read a comment somewhere that said "MCA isn't really dead. Just press play."

I get what you mean.



We Love You MCA!

Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
YoungRemy's Avatar
YoungRemy YoungRemy is offline
NYC Brouhaha Division
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,711
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I've had Beastie Boys dreams two nights in a row. a grieving AdRock was in both of them.

in my dream, I also realized a lyric from Sounds of Science where MCA calls his shot. reevaluating his lyrics now has so much more depth. quoting it is a bit morbid, but I'm sure you guys know which one I'm talking about.

Adam Yauch went out First Class, he didn't go out Coach



Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Randetica's Avatar
Randetica Randetica is offline
Basic As Fuck.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: BBMB
Posts: 7,516
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I've had Beastie Boys dreams two nights in a row. a grieving AdRock was in both of them.
same here (on the 4th and 5th) but in my dreams it were hard to figure out which of those two adams just died
been some shitty nights



-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gus
The friendship ended when I wiped my arse on his pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres Zount
I don't really love you! Lyman zerga is on my ignore list, but you don't deserve it, you swine!
-------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
camo's Avatar
camo camo is offline
repeat
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: In Hiding
Posts: 8,952
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

My life was made better for knowing yours existed. Thanks Adam.



Quote:
Originally Posted by some korean pirate View Post
13 multilateral atomic arms reduction.

Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
brooklyndust's Avatar
brooklyndust brooklyndust is offline
Music est. 1986
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I think everyone who is a fan wants to be a beastie boy. Or wants to have the life of a beastie boy.

When I was a teenager, I looked up to them. I wanted to be like them when I got to be 30 and 40.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
M.C. Guevera M.C. Guevera is offline
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Miami, Florida--Representing the 305
Posts: 1,050
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Word of advice: Don't watch the "Ricky's Theme" music video when you're trying to cheer yourself up by watching Beastie Boys music videos. Fuck.



We Love You MCA!

Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
M.C. Guevera M.C. Guevera is offline
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Miami, Florida--Representing the 305
Posts: 1,050
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Licensed To Ill is probably going to end up back in the Top 10 of the Billboard 200 this week.

Quote:
Beastie Boys Albums Storm iTunes Following Adam Yauch's Death
Band's debut, Licensed to Ill, shoots up to #3 following MCA's death.

In what has become a modern digital mourning ritual, fans of the Beastie Boys swarmed onto iTunes over the weekend to snatch up copies of the trio's albums in honor of the passing of member Adam "MCA" Yauch.

The rapper, who died on Friday
 at age 47, left behind a legacy of eight studio albums with partners Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz
 and Michael "Mike D" Diamond. With everyone from Madonna
, to the B-Boys' longtime DJ, Mix Master Mike and Justin Timberlake
 paying homage, as well as in-concert shout-outs from Coldplay, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and fun. over the weekend, Yauch's memory was clearly on the minds of his peers.

But fans were feeling nostalgic as well, since all of the trio's studio albums featuring their intricate rhymes rocketed onto the iTunes charts since the news broke friday. As of press time on Monday morning (May 7), the group's 1986 debut, Licensed to Ill moved up to the #3 position on the iTunes album chart, with the sample-thick 1989 follow-up, Paul's Boutique, on the chart at #13. A 1999 anthology charted at #26, followed by 1994's Ill Communication at #27, 1992's rock and rap hybrid Check Your Head (#38), their final studio effort, last year's Hot Sauce Committee Part Two (#42), the Boutique re-issue (#83), 2004's To the 5 Boroughs (#174) and the Head re-issue (#184).

The sales surge followed the pattern of rush buying that accompanied the recent deaths of Whitney Houston
, Amy Winehouse
, Etta James and Michael Jackson
.

It's likely that a number of the albums will make it onto the Billboard 200 chart this week as well when it is released on Wednesday.

Share your memories of Adam on Twitter using the hashtag #RIPMCA.
--http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...ch-death.jhtml



We Love You MCA!

Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
spacemac9000's Avatar
spacemac9000 spacemac9000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 559
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

hope it does



" Elevated platform never gonna conform "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
TimDoolan's Avatar
TimDoolan TimDoolan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,214
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Rest in peace Yauch, christ I can't believe I'm writing this.....
Thanks for all the great music, videos, interviews, awareness of the plight of the less fortunate, everything. I feel like I've lost a family member.
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Randetica's Avatar
Randetica Randetica is offline
Basic As Fuck.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: BBMB
Posts: 7,516
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I think everyone who is a fan wants to be a beastie boy. Or wants to have the life of a beastie boy.
not really



-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gus
The friendship ended when I wiped my arse on his pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres Zount
I don't really love you! Lyman zerga is on my ignore list, but you don't deserve it, you swine!
-------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Deep_Sea_Rain's Avatar
Deep_Sea_Rain Deep_Sea_Rain is offline
Pocho
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cydonia, Mars
Posts: 2,583
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I posted this Friday morning on my Facebook...I wanted to to share it with my BBMB fam...I've been on these boards for 12 years, and had to speak my mind...

This morning when I got in the car, it had a Beastie Boys sticker in the window, and I was rockin' my Beastie Boys shirt. Believe it or not, I was even scrolling through my ancient iPod to put on some Beasties. Then I hopped on my phone for a quick second while I waited for Steph, and read something that tore me apart. MCA, Adam Yauch, 1/3 of the Beastie Boys, has passed away.

I remember the first time I ever heard the Beasties....it was twenty years ago, and I was seven years old. Every kid on the playground was rappin' "So What'cha Want". When I was twelve or thirteen, I convinced my mom to pick the Licensed To Ill cassette up for me at the local video store. I played it until it broke, and I memorized every rhyme. As the decade went on and my musical golden era hit (the late 90's) the Beastie Boys dropped my favorite album of all-time, along with my favorite song (Hello Nasty, and Intergalactic).

In 2004 they released To The 5 Boroughs, it blew me away and was my soundtrack for summers to come. It came for me during a big change in my life, and just like before, their music was a lamplight for me during rough times.

Last year I lost my abuela....it was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. But just like someone out there arranged it all, the new Beastie Boys album came to the rescue. It was released almost to the day that she passed...without it I don't know what I would've done.

Most of you that really know the big dorky Messican named Spencer know the most important thing to me in life (next to my girl) is MUSIC. Above all else....it's what keeps me going. The Beastie Boys have always been, and will always be my favorite act in music. MCA was always my favorite Beastie...I admired him for his values, social stance, and commitment to making a difference in the world...while making you laugh the whole time

This isn't just the death of a wonderful person, but the end of an era, and the end of the Beastie Boys. They'll set their mics down just like Run DMC did years back. To be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. They're a set....you can't have one without the other.

Thank you to the Beastie Boys for making me who I am today....for exposing me to hip hop...for inspiring me to make a difference...and for giving me the greatest gift of all....MUSIC. I leave ya'll with my favorite MCA rhyme....thanks for reading...



"Like a bird floatin' down on a New York breeze Every thought in the mind is a planted seed So watch the mind or the thoughts will stack Before you know it they're boomerangin' on back."

-MCA of the Beastie Boys

Rest Well homie.....
MCA Adam Yauch
August 5th, 1964 - May 4th 2012

BEASTIE BOYS 1979 - 2012



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Lyfe
yo i fukked a girl wit hooves mayne the other night. like no fingers an toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickill View Post
bear rape.
Have Faith

Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM
JasonP JasonP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 653
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypb View Post
Yet another great story from a friend of a friend:

http://www.retrocrush.com/index.php/2012/05/r-i-p-mca/

I still feel awful BTW. Condolences to Mike and Adam.
Too funny! Real cool of Yauch.

Last edited by JasonP : 05-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM
spacemac9000's Avatar
spacemac9000 spacemac9000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 559
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Too funny! Real cool of Yauch.
this is funny shit ... another great example of mca/beasties not taking themselves too seriously!



" Elevated platform never gonna conform "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
beasties#1fan's Avatar
beasties#1fan beasties#1fan is offline
crazyobessionw/bboys
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,103
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post
I read a comment somewhere that said "MCA isn't really dead. Just press play."

I get what you mean.
i cried from this comment..



I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
brooklyndust's Avatar
brooklyndust brooklyndust is offline
Music est. 1986
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Too funny! Real cool of Yauch.
Yeah really great story.
Reply With Quote
  #441  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Bank Cashier's Avatar
Bank Cashier Bank Cashier is offline
Gettin' Paid
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 49
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

An inspirational force and straight up hero to so many of us. RIP MCA
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
facedownfall facedownfall is offline
One Fly Gemini
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 687
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I take solace in the fact that he's somewhere trading bars with Guru, rhyming over some Jam Master Jay breaks, probably hanging out with NYHC dudes Raybeez, Dave Insurgent, Chuck Valle, Dave/Donna Ratcage, and Chuck Valle. Catching up with Sean Carasov aka The Captain and watching over Adrock with Dave Scilken.

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

"Your body is here, but you're not"-108



"We're the Beastie Boys from New York City, this song is dedicated to Macy" - Adrock introducing "Gratitude" at Virgin Festival.

Macy (Jan 3, 2000 - Aug 3, 2007)

http://www.facebook.com/daveblev

Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
willis drummond's Avatar
willis drummond willis drummond is offline
Toe tapper/hand clapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 49
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

This interview was posted on twitter and I listened to it and actually smiled and laughed, instead of tearing up like I have been since around noon on Friday. The interview has been posted before on the board --it's MCA, air date June 29, 2008, with Pete Rosenberg and Juan Epstein in NYC. Man, MCA is so cool, patient and down-to-earth here. Some of the early questions are a bit lame but Yauch opens up and it just made me feel great to hear this. I hope it can make others feel the same way. They do call Yauch a legend at the beginning and shit, they were right.



http://www.sharebeast.com/07tzy0jq4we0
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
MCAadROCKMiKEd7's Avatar
MCAadROCKMiKEd7 MCAadROCKMiKEd7 is offline
You hear that fkn brass?
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: chicago
Posts: 735
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Everybody google pwr2mca and look at the endless pages



www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.


When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)


Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.


Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
MrSmiley1 MrSmiley1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 197
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

This seems like a good place as any to say what I want to say.

I was speaking to my brother over the weekend about how I thought it was sort of bizarre that co-workers and friends were expressing their condolences to me about MCA passing like he was a close friend or a family member. He said in a way, he was. I was listening to them, as he put it, "since I was a little shit."

MCA and the Boys were about the only constant in my life for 25 years.

My brothers and I started listening to them together starting with the Cooky Puss EP. Of course, my older bros (10+ years) were the ones more into it than I was. I was 4 or 5. As new material came out, my brothers bought it and listened to it. Since I was around them so much, I heard a lot of LTL and PB growing up.

Their music still stuck with me. I grew up with them. For more than 25 years, I have been listening to them through good times and bad and it is weird to think that it is over. No more new material with current pop culture reference, no more live shows, no more wacky music videos, no more new singles to listen to all summer. A small part of who I am passed as well on May 4th.

To be truthful, thinking back on the last live show of their's I attended, it could not have been better "final" show. It was in a smaller venue than I had ever seen them before (Detroit's State Theater). My loving wife was there with me, though she was not entirely sure why I convinced her to go because, let's just say they aren't/weren't her favorite band. The show was as a Gala Event show. I made my wife dress up. She thought I was a little crazy making her dress up with me because she wasn't entirely sure anyone else was going to do it. We were going to rap show, so she thought. Out of the 3 or 4 thousand people there, there wasn't a single person who didn't dress up. With everyone there treating the event as equally special as me, it changed the entire vibe. It was much more low key but a very positive environment to be in. And in that time, my wife understood why I liked them so much. It brought us that much closer. She understood something that was a part of me and she probably never would have any other way.

I will always be thankful for that and everything they helped me though.

Rest in Peace, MCA.

You will be missed more than you will ever know.
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Brother McDuff's Avatar
Brother McDuff Brother McDuff is offline
crazy sniffable
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the windy city
Posts: 3,217
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Years back (pre-TMU era?) when those easter egg JPEGS were showing up in weird places all over the oscilloscope website, there was one of someone's office or something. in the background there was a stack of music-related DVDs. at the time I was in a huge Sly Stone phase. I couldn't seem to find any DVDs of Sly at the time, though was intrigued when I saw one amidst the stack of DVDs in the aforementioned photo.

On a whim, I emailed oscilloscope inquiring, "where the hell did you find that dvd? ive been looking but never can find anything". within the week I received a reply. there were 2 links to two different ebay auctions selling Sly Stone DVDs. below the links it simply said, "you're welcome".

signed at the bottom by Mr Yauch himself.


I wish I'd saved that damn thing.



it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 AM
balohna's Avatar
balohna balohna is offline
Consumer Whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I think it's been a couple years since I last posted on here, so hello everyone. I've been thinking about MCA and the Beastie Boys almost constantly since I heard the news Friday morning, I've cried a few times, and I've been listening to the B-boys more than I have in years. I moved on musically, to an extent, discovering other music worthy of my obsession and respect. For a long time, the Beastie Boys were pretty much it for me. I was 10 years old when Hello Nasty came out. I heard the name "Beastie Boys" before I had any idea what they sounded like, and with the influx of boybands at the time I just assumed they were another. Then I saw the Intergalactic music video, heard Fight For Your Right on the compilation "Frosh" and saw the boys perform 3 MCs and 1 DJ on the VMAs. They won me over, easily. I bought Hello Nasty, probably the fifth or sixth CD I ever owned, and loved it. The non-rap tracks took a while to grow on me, but they did eventually. I remember listening to Dr. Lee PhD with a friend and finding it hilarious while he just looked at me like I was weird.

My fandom grew a lot when I bought The Sounds of Science. I remember hearing the first track for the first time, an adolescent Mike D screaming "BEE-EE-AY-ESTEEIYEE" into my 11 year old ears and probably scaring me a little bit. I had never heard hardcore before that. I was obsessed with the anthology. I read the booklet countless times, analyzed every track, brought it to school every day and played it on my class's CD player at lunch and during class (when the teacher was nice enough to allow) so much that people gave me a hard time about being obsessed with the Beastie Boys. I used Livewire's lyrics for a poetry assignment, and performed a dance routine to Railroad Blues with a couple of friends that year. Being kid, I didn't have a steady cash flow so it took me another year and a half or so to acquire all the albums and a few other releases. Each one made its own mark on me, especially Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique. It bothered me that nobody else my age seemed to care about the Beastie Boys, but that never discouraged me.

I actually feel like they shaped my adolescence in a huge way. My idea of cool was the Beastie Boys. Not the frat boy LTI Beastie Boys or even the hazy/creative Paul's Boutique Beastie Boys. It was the modern Beastie Boys of that era - socially conscious, accepting, mature. Yauch's write-up on FFYR really stuck with me. The first thing he says is something along the lines of "We decided to include this song because it sucks. Just kidding." which to me immediately made me accept the song as a piece of their past and no longer take it as something that would have any sort of impact one me (I was pretty impressionable... I even took "I'm shopping at Sears because I don't buy at The Gap" to heart). He also wrote about how if you imitate something enough you become it, which I used as a guideline for staying true to myself and living life they way I want to live it. Adam H's write-up on Song for the Man also had a big impact on me.

I only saw the Beastie Boys live once. September 2004 at the Pacific Colosseum in Vancouver. My friends weren't sure about going (none of them were big fans), so I just decided to buy a ticket for myself. On the floor, general admission. I was the first person to show up at the front of the building, at about 3:30 PM. I sat down in front of the door in my internet-bought Beastie Boys shirt. I was 16 and didn't know that wearing the shirt of the band you're seeing is a concert foul. I made a point of not eating or drinking anything so I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom. I think security had seen me there, because they opened the door I lined up at before any other door. I speed walked down to the floor and parked my ass against the barricade and waited for what felt like an eternity and enjoyed the dog show and Talib Kweli. I don't think I need to describe how great a Beastie Boys show is to any of you, but 16 year old me's mind was blown. I saw my heroes just a few feet in front of me, with thousands of people behind me pressing me closer. I touched MCA's hand that night, when he jumped down off the stage and ran with his hand outstretched.

Over the years I've grown to love other music, but the Beastie Boys were my starting point. They introduced me to hardcore, which introduced me to bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag and Bad Brains. Adrock's relationship with Kathleen Hanna introduced me to Le Tigre, which in turn introduced me to Bikini Kill and the riot grrrl scene. Minor Threat lead me to Fugazi and riot grrrl lead me to Sleater-Kinney, who I now consider two of my favourite bands. If it weren't for the Beastie Boys I'm not sure I would have even gone in that direction. The music I was listening to before I saw Intergalactic on the MuchMusic Countdown (which I watched every day after school at age 10) was radio-friendly rock and pop-punk.

I have never been impacted by a celebrity death before. I love The Clash, but I didn't listen to them really until after Joe died. I've never really been a Ramone's fan, so their deaths didn't have an impact on me either. When I heard Adam Yauch had died it felt like a piece of my life fell away.



If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 AM
kindness09's Avatar
kindness09 kindness09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: left coast
Posts: 38
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

live on, mca

you'll always be with us <3



Viva les Beastie!

Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 AM
hannes7 hannes7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

adam yauch, affected my live since 1994.

you was well be loved:
your karma impulses impress people in your life time and far beyond.

i hope you found now your nirwana.

bye
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
brooklyndust's Avatar
brooklyndust brooklyndust is offline
Music est. 1986
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
I think it's been a couple years since I last posted on here, so hello everyone. I've been thinking about MCA and the Beastie Boys almost constantly since I heard the news Friday morning, I've cried a few times, and I've been listening to the B-boys more than I have in years. I moved on musically, to an extent, discovering other music worthy of my obsession and respect. For a long time, the Beastie Boys were pretty much it for me. I was 10 years old when Hello Nasty came out. I heard the name "Beastie Boys" before I had any idea what they sounded like, and with the influx of boybands at the time I just assumed they were another. Then I saw the Intergalactic music video, heard Fight For Your Right on the compilation "Frosh" and saw the boys perform 3 MCs and 1 DJ on the VMAs. They won me over, easily. I bought Hello Nasty, probably the fifth or sixth CD I ever owned, and loved it. The non-rap tracks took a while to grow on me, but they did eventually. I remember listening to Dr. Lee PhD with a friend and finding it hilarious while he just looked at me like I was weird.

My fandom grew a lot when I bought The Sounds of Science. I remember hearing the first track for the first time, an adolescent Mike D screaming "BEE-EE-AY-ESTEEIYEE" into my 11 year old ears and probably scaring me a little bit. I had never heard hardcore before that. I was obsessed with the anthology. I read the booklet countless times, analyzed every track, brought it to school every day and played it on my class's CD player at lunch and during class (when the teacher was nice enough to allow) so much that people gave me a hard time about being obsessed with the Beastie Boys. I used Livewire's lyrics for a poetry assignment, and performed a dance routine to Railroad Blues with a couple of friends that year. Being kid, I didn't have a steady cash flow so it took me another year and a half or so to acquire all the albums and a few other releases. Each one made its own mark on me, especially Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique. It bothered me that nobody else my age seemed to care about the Beastie Boys, but that never discouraged me.

I actually feel like they shaped my adolescence in a huge way. My idea of cool was the Beastie Boys. Not the frat boy LTI Beastie Boys or even the hazy/creative Paul's Boutique Beastie Boys. It was the modern Beastie Boys of that era - socially conscious, accepting, mature. Yauch's write-up on FFYR really stuck with me. The first thing he says is something along the lines of "We decided to include this song because it sucks. Just kidding." which to me immediately made me accept the song as a piece of their past and no longer take it as something that would have any sort of impact one me (I was pretty impressionable... I even took "I'm shopping at Sears because I don't buy at The Gap" to heart). He also wrote about how if you imitate something enough you become it, which I used as a guideline for staying true to myself and living life they way I want to live it. Adam H's write-up on Song for the Man also had a big impact on me.

I only saw the Beastie Boys live once. September 2004 at the Pacific Colosseum in Vancouver. My friends weren't sure about going (none of them were big fans), so I just decided to buy a ticket for myself. On the floor, general admission. I was the first person to show up at the front of the building, at about 3:30 PM. I sat down in front of the door in my internet-bought Beastie Boys shirt. I was 16 and didn't know that wearing the shirt of the band you're seeing is a concert foul. I made a point of not eating or drinking anything so I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom. I think security had seen me there, because they opened the door I lined up at before any other door. I speed walked down to the floor and parked my ass against the barricade and waited for what felt like an eternity and enjoyed the dog show and Talib Kweli. I don't think I need to describe how great a Beastie Boys show is to any of you, but 16 year old me's mind was blown. I saw my heroes just a few feet in front of me, with thousands of people behind me pressing me closer. I touched MCA's hand that night, when he jumped down off the stage and ran with his hand outstretched.

Over the years I've grown to love other music, but the Beastie Boys were my starting point. They introduced me to hardcore, which introduced me to bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag and Bad Brains. Adrock's relationship with Kathleen Hanna introduced me to Le Tigre, which in turn introduced me to Bikini Kill and the riot grrrl scene. Minor Threat lead me to Fugazi and riot grrrl lead me to Sleater-Kinney, who I now consider two of my favourite bands. If it weren't for the Beastie Boys I'm not sure I would have even gone in that direction. The music I was listening to before I saw Intergalactic on the MuchMusic Countdown (which I watched every day after school at age 10) was radio-friendly rock and pop-punk.

I have never been impacted by a celebrity death before. I love The Clash, but I didn't listen to them really until after Joe died. I've never really been a Ramone's fan, so their deaths didn't have an impact on me either. When I heard Adam Yauch had died it felt like a piece of my life fell away.
I can relate to this a lot. Beasties turned me onto a lot of great bands, and none of my friends were really into them.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2012 Beastie Boys