Old 10-31-2020, 12:50 AM

Default Beastie Boys Music

I think it was a real missed opportunity not to put the original release of "Too many rappers" on the Beastie boys MUSIC cd.
To me its their best song from the 2009 era, that version

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 10-31-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Beastie Boys Music

Well there is a reason why the original didn’t even make the album. Plus I think tracks on that album are better then too many rappers. I like that song, but to me songs like Long Burn the Fire, and some others are better songs.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 10-31-2020, 07:02 PM

I mean TMR is certainly more deserving than Don’t Play No Game. But then again so is An Open Letter. Or any other Beastie Boys song.

Besides, we all have our favourites. Sadly I don’t think it’s a missed opportunity regardless. I mean who is buying this? Completists? Casual fans? There seems to be some misguided concept that the book and stage show have strayed into the mainstream

Beastie Boys have a huge devoted fan base and the book and story offered something new (albeit still retrospective) which they / we rightly lapped up. This comp does not.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
I mean TMR is certainly more deserving than Don’t Play No Game. But then again so is An Open Letter. Or any other Beastie Boys song.

Besides, we all have our favourites. Sadly I don’t think it’s a missed opportunity regardless. I mean who is buying this? Completists? Casual fans? There seems to be some misguided concept that the book and stage show have strayed into the mainstream

Beastie Boys have a huge devoted fan base and the book and story offered something new (albeit still retrospective) which they / we rightly lapped up. This comp does not.
I think you're right about pretty much everything. I bought the regular version and the red & white version, but that's just because I collect - I probably won't even open them. I get the idea I suppose: a book, a movie, a show, and a record. But yeah, the first three seemed like they were made for the more hardcore fan base, and this seems like it's trying to appeal to new fans. Which is fine, just a little awkward. I guess it's been a while since Solid Gold Hits came out, and to be honest, I think the band intentionally chose that cover to make the album as unappealing as possible because I can't imagine anyone looking at it and thinking "I bet this will give me an idea of the entire career of this dynamic band."
Old 11-01-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Well there is a reason why the original didn’t even make the album. Plus I think tracks on that album are better then too many rappers. I like that song, but to me songs like Long Burn the Fire, and some others are better songs.
The original did'nt make the album because MCA remixed without adrock and mike D knowing and in the end they warmed to it.But it was the first 12 inch release from HSC and this CD is kinda of a singles and 12inch b-sides release, rather than a best of album, hence my statement.

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 11-01-2020, 09:17 AM

^^^

Personally I don’t think that’s clear from what it says in the book. Adrock seems to be describing more the OG version than the New Reactionaries one. So it would appear to me that the song existed in a different, earlier form originally, but then Yauch did his own thing with the fuzzy bass line etc.

Needless to say, I could be wrong and you could be right - but might be worth reading that section again. I know the book lists the song as the New Reactionaries version but he doesn’t seem to be describing that end product at all.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
The original did'nt make the album because MCA remixed without adrock and mike D knowing and in the end they warmed to it.But it was the first 12 inch release from HSC and this CD is kinda of a singles and 12inch b-sides release, rather than a best of album, hence my statement.
Yeah I know all that. Yauch also changed the first verse of his due to the line “I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death” I’m assuming he changed that cause maybe he knew he wasn’t going to make it. Maybe I’m thinking to much about that and it’s kinda dark to think but that’s how I took the change.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 11-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know all that. Yauch also changed the first verse of his due to the line “I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death” I’m assuming he changed that cause maybe he knew he wasn’t going to make it. Maybe I’m thinking to much about that and it’s kinda dark to think but that’s how I took the change.
I've thought about this a lot too, and I think you might be right because that's not the only death-related line to get cut from a song. If you remember, Pop Your Balloon used to have a different line from MCA as well. Where he says "I'm eatin' MCs up by the dozen for breakfast" he used to say "I never sleep cuz it's the cousin of death."

Who really knows, but that's always why I assumed those lines were changed. If that is the case, it makes the whole thing that much more sad, but hey, that's life I guess.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I took it the same way. I think he knew we would take it this way and he commented on it with his new verse. Or at least the first line.

Like a nexus six comin' home to roost
Hand-held fifty eight when it's time to get get loose

Probably everybody knows this, I think we have collectively talked about it on here before, it's possible this was someone else's explanation. But whenever I think about it, it really blows me away.

The Nexus 6 in Blade Runner come home to Earth , to the Tyrell Co., to try and get more life. They come home to Roost. Their past is catching up with them, (or lack of past) and they know they are going to die.

MCA replaced an artistic line about never dying, (a shout out to Nas and a shout out to the party never stopping, his work ethic never quitting and his voice ringing eternal on wax) with a line about 100% knowing he was about to die and he just wants to let it rip one more time on the mic. He came home to Oscope and grabbed his fave cheap handheld mic.

The dude is such a master of his artform. That's heavy heavy shit. And the beautiful thing is I /we could be wrong with this interpretation. He gives just enough to sink your teeth into what he could be saying. But also, it's just a really good line about rapping.

I don't know. My take.

message board