Old 11-03-2020, 12:51 PM

Default DR DRE Interview

https://youtu.be/goCYvsr2LVE
Interesting

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 11-03-2020, 03:30 PM
space cake cookie

Default Re: DR DRE Interview

agreed. his appearance on rock the bells last week or whenever it aired was hard to listen too, he was awfully excited and chatty, but this was much more subdued informative and nice to hear.

must be talking about rick rubin with his history revisionist talk...buy the book.

original concept's kooley high record is a straight up classic IMO. i was just spinning it a few weeks ago, the first track legend is one of my favorite songs on this classic def jam era. mike d's da da da dada dada da on she's got a moustache is nice too.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 11-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Seems like he's feeling slighted for not being mentioned enough in BBB. It would have been nice if they went more into their DJ history, even as an aside. But maybe there's some awkward stuff they didn't want to document, I don't know. When Hurricane was on B-Real's podcast he seemed to think it was the boys trying to distance themselves from their hard partying days or something.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Old 11-03-2020, 07:44 PM

i love all the Beastie’s tour DJs but they are just that, tour DJs. i don’t see them as part of the band, it’s always been about the three b-boys for me.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:48 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
i love all the Beastie’s tour DJs but they are just that, tour DJs. i don’t see them as part of the band, it’s always been about the three b-boys for me.
Though MMM certainly ingratiated himself more than any other, as he was considerably involved in the live aesthetic and contributed to albums recordings as well.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 11-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
Though MMM certainly ingratiated himself more than any other, as he was considerably involved in the live aesthetic and contributed to albums recordings as well.
agreed, and if he was involved earlier with the band i would give him that fourth Beastie status. Mario C to me is that unnamed fourth member. he shaped their sound since PB and was key behind the boards for their albums and live shows.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

I don't get where he's coming from though, it's not like they dissed him ever. I wonder what in his eyes would be acceptable props coming from them? He mentions himself he went on to tour with them for a year and a half a year and a half out of a 30something year career. He didn't shape their sound or anything. he says he has the tapes as if anyone can't just search "beastie boys yo! mtv raps" on youtube and see it themselves

Is Sam Sever gonna get upset too now? or how about those random percussion players on the check your head credits? is their gripe next
Old 11-04-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
Is Sam Sever gonna get upset too now? or how about those random percussion players on the check your head credits? is their gripe next
haha actually Eric Bobo was on B-Real’s podcast talking about how he went from being in the Beasties touring band and leaving them for Cypress Hill and he was pretty salty with his stories too.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:20 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
haha actually Eric Bobo was on B-Real’s podcast talking about how he went from being in the Beasties touring band and leaving them for Cypress Hill and he was pretty salty with his stories too.
yeah i heard this too. what a goon. he literally bailed on them mid tour to go do shows with cypress, leaving mike d a note under his hotel room door saying he’ll be back to finish the tour in a few nights. def havent gotten the vibe from
his guests on b-real’s show that he’s a very solid guy. maybe explains why he got no love in the book.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
yeah i heard this too. what a goon. he literally bailed on them mid tour to go do shows with cypress, leaving mike d a note under his hotel room door saying he’ll be back to finish the tour in a few nights. def havent gotten the vibe from
his guests on b-real’s show that he’s a very solid guy. maybe explains why he got no love in the book.

What episode is this on? I've never listened to the show. have it on in the background right now, it's pretty freewheeling. I don't mind listening, but want to make sure I'm at the right spot. I'm on the halloween episode from this year.

message board

Old 11-04-2020, 03:14 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Really? Ok am I tripping or didn’t money Mark have a little gripe too? Around 2000. I feel like there was some article about him complaining about not getting writing credits or publishing until hello nasty, and saying he can’t Just wait around For them waiting for work. I swear I sort of remember something like that.

It’s funny They all be on Instagram dropping pics from the 90s on some, “yo that was good times son” vibe.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Really? Ok am I tripping or didn’t money Mark have a little gripe too? Around 2000. I feel like there was some article about him complaining about not getting writing credits or publishing until hello nasty, and saying he can’t Just wait around For them waiting for work. I swear I sort of remember something like that.

It’s funny They all be on Instagram dropping pics from the 90s on some, “yo that was good times son” vibe.
Not sure how the money got divided, but he has very prominent writing credits on the back cover of CYH. He's even the sole writer listed for Mark On the Bus.

Although I just took a look and he isn't credited for So What'cha Want... the biggest hit on the album, which I'm 90% sure he played the organ part on (pretty sure he appears briefly in the video when it comes in, even).

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by balohna : 11-04-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I don't get where he's coming from though, it's not like they dissed him ever.

Exhibit A to your point:

"My man Hurricane down since the day. Took over on the mix from Doctor Dre."
- Mike D on Hurricane's own song Four Fly Guys

They acknowledged that Dre was their DJ before Hurricane ON HURRICANE'S OWN ALBUM.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:00 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
What episode is this on? I've never listened to the show. have it on in the background right now, it's pretty freewheeling. I don't mind listening, but want to make sure I'm at the right spot. I'm on the halloween episode from this year.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000487771557

he shows up fairly regularly on greenthumb these days, fwiw.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:23 AM

i totally believe that just ice story....

thank you Adam.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 AM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
i totally believe that just ice story....
Of course

On the echo chamber with peanut butter wolf mike mention schooly D wasn’t happy sharing a ride with them he didn’t tell the story but I feel it’s probably similar lol
Old 11-05-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000487771557

he shows up fairly regularly on greenthumb these days, fwiw.
Thanks!

message board

Old 11-07-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
Not sure how the money got divided, but he has very prominent writing credits on the back cover of CYH. He's even the sole writer listed for Mark On the Bus.

Although I just took a look and he isn't credited for So What'cha Want... the biggest hit on the album, which I'm 90% sure he played the organ part on (pretty sure he appears briefly in the video when it comes in, even).
I remember him saying in an interview, that was the biggest omission. He came up with the organ part, which is the most memorable part of the song (other than the lyrics). Definitely should have been a songwriting credit, probably would have been a lot of nice royalty checks in his mailbox for that, so I can see why he would feel ripped off.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post

Hurricane's in that video and he didn't do the cuts for the song. So I mean, one of the boys COULD have played that organ. I recall $Mark's brother saying he was all over HSCPtII "just listen to the organ loop in MSN." but the B-Book makes it clear that Ad-rock was playing that.

I dunno. $Mark probably deserves writing credit though.

message board

Old 11-07-2020, 02:01 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
"just listen to the organ loop in MSN."
organ? that's goofy. clearly a synth, and likely the Moog Slim Phatty that Adrock was endorsing around that time.

in reference to credits, i feel like the bboys treat their sidemen as session players in this regard, pay them a flat rate to jam with them, and then extract varying snippets and build songs around them. so if Mark randomly played a lick in the heat of an improvisation, and they build it into an entire production, then I don't think they owe him songwriting credit. otherwise session players would demand songwriting credits on every song they've ever played on.

much like how Clyde Stubblefield was paid scale to play drums on a session, not collect royalties for the hundreds of times Funky Drummer was sampled throughout history.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
organ? that's goofy. clearly a synth, and likely the Moog Slim Phatty that Adrock was endorsing around that time.

in reference to credits, i feel like the bboys treat their sidemen as session players in this regard, pay them a flat rate to jam with them, and then extract varying snippets and build songs around them. so if Mark randomly played a lick in the heat of an improvisation, and they build it into an entire production, then I don't think they owe him songwriting credit. otherwise session players would demand songwriting credits on every song they've ever played on.

much like how Clyde Stubblefield was paid scale to play drums on a session, not collect royalties for the hundreds of times Funky Drummer was sampled throughout history.
Yeah I didn't say he was right. I was paraphrasing, and chose organ to imply he was probably wrong. But I'd have to really dig around to find the actual quote.

I agree with your sideman theory. I did a music video for a guy once who complained about coming in to play some licks and then hearing the song on the radio years later, built around his licks. Multiple times. He was a huge crybaby about it, and used it as an excuse to squeeze me out of a deal.

(people were trying to license the video I made, not his music. specifically not his music. I offered him a 50/50 split anyways, and he threw a fit about me taking his hard work to make myself rich. I thought it was extra funny, because I was basically the sideman in this scenario and he was trying so hard to screw me. The licensors walked away.)

message board

Old 11-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I understand the kind of arrangement you're referring to, like Brian Wilson working with the Wrecking Crew. Brian wrote the songs. So even when Carol Kaye comes up with an awesome bassline that everyone is humming along to, she does not get a writing credit. But she is paid very well for a day's work and is fine with that.

But I feel like Mark's involvement was different. He was a huge part of CYH. And to credit him on other songs but not on that one seems odd to me. You can characterize the organ part as just a lick he played over the beat, but it is the most melodic part of the song. And songs are legally defined by melody and chord progression.

As for Clyde Stubblefield, drums have never been considered songwriting. I'm not saying that that is fair, but it has been the case forever. Although it seems these legal definitions are changing as lawsuits come in and cases are decided. For example the Gaye family suing Pharrell, which I thought was BS, they are two totally different songs that happen to be in a similar style, but are nowhere near being the same song, when you break them down.

I do my own thing now, but when I used to have friends come over to play guitar or bass or sax on a beat (which I would sample pieces of), if it ended up in the final mix, they always received a writing credit. What they were doing was just as much a part of the songwriting as anything else. Beats are very simple in regard to melody and chords, usually, so anyone who has made a contribution in a melodic or harmonic creative way deserves a credit. It's not like Brian Wilson, where the song is already written and he shows it to them, and they are just playing a version of a song he wrote.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Just to throw my ignorant two cents in regarding the whole Money Mark / session musician thing...

I think I agree with most people's points of view on here, and I also think that this is how it should generally work with session musicians. The way I see if, a lot of session musicians wouldn't have ever been heard by many people if other bands hadn't done all the work to actually conceptualize, create, and promote an album. If a keyboardist is instrumental in actually creating a piece in its entirety, that's a different story. But if someone asks me to just play some reggae bassline on a track that they're already creating, I don't see myself as missing out on anything as a session musician. If the band hadn't done all the work to actually make the record, no one would have ever even heard that bassline anyway.

I guess the tricky part is that no one - besides the musicians - actually knows what goes down in the studio. Maybe Mark felt that he worked through enough things with the band to be considered one of the creators on the track, but maybe they looked at it and thought "this is a loop we took from a session that didn't involved any really hard conceptual work."

Or maybe that's all wrong.....
Old 11-08-2020, 07:54 PM
crazy sniffable

all fair assessments. considering the fact that Mark got songwriting credits on some tunes and not others suggests that the bboys were mindful of songwriting props in a general sense, thus if they decided he wasnt a significant enough contributor to a song like SWW then it wasnt for a lack of consideration. i’d like to think they were as diplomatic as could be, but certainly dont claim to know any more then the average schmo, and Mark is certainly entitled to his own interpretation of that arrangement as well.

and so go the complications of this industry, and the many friendships strained. that said, it doesnt seem as though though these instances have clouded relations between these fellas, which I reckon speaks more conclusive to this topic than all else. fortunately :)

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 11-08-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:44 AM

in one of the other Dre vids he says something major happened between him and the Beasties on the RH Tour. That's why he left....

thank you Adam.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:25 PM
space cake cookie

just listened to this segment again. what the fuck. dre is iconic to me and such of big part of my childhood as far as watching YO, and i know he's down a leg and his sight but he's wrong straight up and it's not a good look. i must have heard this all wrong in the background 1st time i listened cause when you pay full attention he sounds spiteful without merit. everyone knows it was double R, then dre, then hurra then MMM. everyone knows he was in the hold it now video.

and what book does he keep talking about, is he writing a book because i can't find any info about this. i'd like to read it to get the full story but dude is wrong in this interview. and when the interviewer said the beasties were the first "white" legit crossover rappers he shook his head and said no. i'd like to know who he thinks were because i'm pretty fluent in my hip hop history and i think he's batshit crazy for even suggesting they were not.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM

i just got to watching the Dre youtube shits. my take - he’s obviously a important OG of hip-hop that time has passed and this is prob his last shot to be relevant again with this book. he also could use the cash (dude is pushing a Go Fund Me and is begging for money) so i’m sure he’s embellishing a lot of these stories to get more sales. he sounds crazy bitter with everyone equally. calling RR a thief is just laughable.

i do have to give it to him he’s prob gonna get my money with this book tho lol.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:06 PM

I was a fan of Dre from the Original Concept album. We rocked with that album and partied with it. I still have the t-shirt somewhere....But listening to that record now, it doesn't age as well as other classics of that time. I think we just really liked the spirit of it. But it's clearly a notch below other records done by Beasties, PE, De La, BDP, etc. But yeah, it was fun at the time....

I didn't really watch him on Yo! that much, I was always busy with school, work, partying. I remember seeing him and Ed and being like, "Oh those dudes from O.C., I love these guys." Lots of subliminal weed references and joking around. (I smoked a lot of grass back then). T-Money would make appearances as well. What about Rapper G? Did he ever show up on set?

That said, he does come off insecure in this interview. It's kind of sad to be honest. He keeps big-upping himself, and it's like, dude, it's not like you're Chuck D or somebody, take it easy. I mean he was great on Yo!, funny and entertaining, I'm not here to rip on the guy, but he just sounds kind of desperate in this. I guess he just really wants to sell the book?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:38 PM
R.I.P. Brooklyn

He says he's responsible for Ice Cube hooking up with the bomb squad, that he put them together.

I heard Cube say specifically in an interview. He had an appointment with Sam Sever. Sever flaked on the appointment, Cube sees Chuck D in the building, Chuck invites Cube to the studio and the rest is history.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
He says he's responsible for Ice Cube hooking up with the bomb squad, that he put them together.

I heard Cube say specifically in an interview. He had an appointment with Sam Sever. Sever flaked on the appointment, Cube sees Chuck D in the building, Chuck invites Cube to the studio and the rest is history.
Sam did a lot of dope shit but man that was a missed opportunity...