Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Arrow Re: Similar music style recommendation

EPMD is dope.

Here's some less than mainstream hip hop stuff (but not too obscure) that you might dig:

Hip Hop:
Main Source - "Breaking Atoms";
Souls of Mischief - "93 till infinity" / Del the Funky Homosapien / Hieroglyphics
Digable Planets
Old 02-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
EPMD is dope.

Here's some less than mainstream hip hop stuff (but not too obscure) that you might dig:

Hip Hop:
Main Source - "Breaking Atoms";
Souls of Mischief - "93 till infinity" / Del the Funky Homosapien / Hieroglyphics
Digable Planets
Love them already.thanks

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Arrow Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
Love them already.thanks
You got Siah and Yeshua Dapoed, "The Visuals" (only 2 mcs)?
Jurrasic 5 has lots of MCs over old school breaks. They're playing off a lot of late 70s early 80s hip hop vibes like the Beasties.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Another one I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned is the first Pharcyde album. I'm sure you've heard it. To me that album has a lot of similarities with the voices, the playful sensibility, the humor, the sampling. It was a fun record that avoided the trends of gun talk and thug image. I think the fanbases crossed over into one another a lot at that time. Skater kids loved the Pharcyde. I remember seeing the promo stickers all over Venice when the album was coming out.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Another one I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned is the first Pharcyde album. I'm sure you've heard it. To me that album has a lot of similarities with the voices, the playful sensibility, the humor, the sampling. It was a fun record that avoided the trends of gun talk and thug image. I think the fanbases crossed over into one another a lot at that time. Skater kids loved the Pharcyde. I remember seeing the promo stickers all over Venice when the album was coming out.
Yes l was thinking of mentioning that album ( l forgot when l wrote the thread) it is the best example of what l was refering to that l know of

Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM
crazy sniffable

i feel like Odelay is the closest thing one can find to a non-beasties beasties record. and hold the “its not hiphop” rebuttals please. as far as artistic intent, era, influences, and shared collaborators goes, it is a hard line to argue.

on a similar note, the bboys are so much bigger than hiphop in their scope, even within their hiphop songs themselves, and should be (and often are) recognized as so. to call them merely rappers is an understatement. they truly are artistes.

i know nobody asked, but i still shared. preachy maybe, but truth? yes.
and if you dont like it then hey fuck you.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
i feel like Odelay is the closest thing one can find to a non-beasties beasties record. and hold the “its not hiphop” rebuttals please. as far as artistic intent, era, influences, and shared collaborators goes, it is a hard line to argue.

on a similar note, the bboys are so much bigger than hiphop in their scope, even within their hiphop songs themselves, and should be (and often are) recognized as so. to call them merely rappers is an understatement. they truly are artistes.

After all these years ive never listened to Odelay.Ive heard some singles and liked quite a few by beck, so l will give him a try

Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post

odelay sounds like a beck record produced by the dust bros and saying it sounds like a beastie record is a stretch at most. i enjoy the record quiet a lot and have long celebrated (saw beck 3 times on the odeley tour) it but it doesn’t sound like pauls boutique 2.0 or a beastie record at all. it has all the elements of a beck's earlier records with interesting song structures, lyrics with the dust bros sample production. i just don’t hear the three’s energy at all on odeley.

the only record that sounds like a beasties record is obv Hurricane’s The Hurra. nothing else comes close. it's a perfect beasties companion piece.

Last edited by Micodin : 02-17-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: the hurra bro.