Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Beastie-Free General Discussion

Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Monkey News

Default how do poeple get so naive that it's pratically a disability?

everyone knows someone or has a friend so naïve that you basically need to watch over them to make sure they don't get themselves into some shit.

like you can't even leave them alone for a second down town without them getting accosted and threatened by someone because their naivete is written all over their face. they just trust EVERYONE and want to be friends with EVERYONE. they look at everyone as potential positive excitement. They have this very wide eye child like aura about them. It makes sense for people to be like that were totally sheltered but some people are just so oblivious that should not be. it's like some sort of mental block towards menacing situations that they don't even notice to avoid.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Scientist

Default Re: how do poeple get so naive that it's pratically a disability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdBerglar View Post
everyone knows someone or has a friend so naïve that you basically need to watch over them to make sure they don't get themselves into some shit.

like you can't even leave them alone for a second down town without them getting accosted and threatened by someone because their naivete is written all over their face. they just trust EVERYONE and want to be friends with EVERYONE. they look at everyone as potential positive excitement. They have this very wide eye child like aura about them. It makes sense for people to be like that were totally sheltered but some people are just so oblivious that should not be. it's like some sort of mental block towards menacing situations that they don't even notice to avoid.
Some people with autism can be exploited by others. It is very difficult and sometimes impossible for people with autism to read intentions and facial expressions of others. Sometimes a person with autism may have two options: (1) trust everyone; or (2) trust no one. The latter may cause stress to say the least (e.g., paranoia, fear etc). Other than autism I suppose some people may simply be prone to being gullible. Degree of gullibility can vary with age (i.e., u-shaped function). This suggests to me that it can be useful in some circumstances to be gullible (e.g., a young child trusting their parents). Why some people continue to be gullible is an understudied area of research. Deserves attention though.

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM
utter nonsense.

Man, I don't know. My sister-in-law is kind of like this. She doesn't like have a disability or anything and she did fine in public school and college and so on - but she just does not catch on to so many things that seem obvious. She's street-retarded. Her husband jokes about her being "plot-blind" when we watch movies together because she asks questions about basic plot points, entire movie-long storylines that she somehow doesn't pick up on.

I think some people just process information really radically different from the norm, but it never shows itself in anything that impedes normal academic performance and so no one really notices.

reality is a shit of a thing

Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Oh, the cleverness of me

You're so gullible, McFly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll View Post
No one really leaves - it's like the Hotel California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
I eat tacos like it's my job.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Monkey News

this guy I work with. he's from the suburbs. he hangs out with most ghetto people. just trashy petty drug dealer dirtbag types walking around with unregistered handguns. it's like he doesn't have a clue how shitty these people are. he talks about the shit that goes down and we all just look at him like..... what the fuck! why do you live with these people! and he looks at us as if we're the ones that are insane and the shit he talks about is just normal every day type shit.

after hearing one of his stories I was all like... jesus fucking christ you need new fucking friends or you're gonna get killed! and he just look at me like I was some sort of alien. sure enough six months later his girlfriend got gunned down like down the street from me. it was all over the news.

it's like he hasn't a single clue about how shitty these people are. he's really into rap and hip hop and grew up in this really sheltered town. so we think that he's just trying to be around people of the lifestyle that he's grown up fantasying and idolizing about. it's like he finds these people utterly fascinating and that there's nothing wrong with them.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 PM
just here for the .gifs

^weird. I don't know anyone who is naive like you're describing. My boyfriend is kind of naive in that he's not afraid to go into dangerous neighborhoods, and didn't care that there was a drive by when he moved into his last apartment, and a crazy shoot out in the street with a van after he lived there awhile. I guess because he's never been attacked or robbed? and he has spent the night in a pretty scary jail for something he didn't do. So he's like "meh" about danger.

I'm a paranoid super careful freak though, so I get frustrated when he wants to take alley shortcuts or go to parties where it's not so safe. But we're kinda old now, and our neighborhood is getting really gentrified, so I'm not around sketchy stuff as often. I'll say even when we'd go to this one warehouse for parties, it was in a bad neighborhood, but nothing ever happened. Gang bangers pretty much leave artsy kids alone. It was worth going because the kids that lived there had awesome bands play, and they built huge sculptures you could climb, and you could play basketball on the roof. City shut it down though, because they hate fun.

Anyway, no idea why people are naive to danger, maybe they just haven't had anything happen directly to them? A lot of bad stuff happened in my childhood, not to me, but around me, so I'm pretty jumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Monkey News

bad neighborhoods don't really scare me either. or what OTHER people consider bad neighborhoods. going through a "bad" neighborhood and everyone else is getting kinda sketched out and im all like.... shit this is a better neighborhood than what I grew up in! this isn't a very big city so who knows if I even really know what an actual bad neighborhood is.

don't get me wrong though I definitely know when I should be looking over my shoulder and to keep my head up and to walk a certain way. that awareness I think is the reason why people don't fuck with me(im not very small either). naïve people tend to not have that awareness and it's very obvious.

this guy I go biking with sometimes. whenever we go biking together through the city we always get threatened. well not really threatened, but like Puerto Ricans just cussing us out and calling us gringos and threatening to snatch our expensive bikes. but it's all show. it ONLY happens when he's with me. doesn't happen when im by myself or if I go with anybody else. he's definitely didn't grow up a city kid. he grew up in a small town. and it's so fucking obvious to people so he draws this attention.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:17 AM
just here for the .gifs

It's interesting how that happens, minorities (for lack of a better term) have a much better sense of social cues and demeanor. I'll always remember team teaching in an inner city school with a girl who was in a sorority and from a wealthy background...she was pretty nice and not a dumbass or stuck up...but the kids were like "nah", and ran right over her and only listened to me. I knew she was really nervous and I guess they could just tell that she was scared and I wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Monkey News

city kids are lot less childish. they're not afraid to tell you to go fuck yourself when they know you're wrong. they're a lot more aware of reality and they know when someone is full of bullshit and they'll call you out on it. they know when they're being lied to or patronized. they're not coddled nearly as much. they act like angry adults who've been shafted at work too many times and they just roll their eyes at the clueless patronizing/condescending management.

I think the big discrepancy is because suburban parents tend to treat their children as if their absolutely precious and pure. hide all the "mean" shit from them. thinking that since they live in the suburbs with other precious and pure kids that everything will be just fine. that's why you see all these twisted suburban kids doing all this weird deviant shit. where you're just all like.... why would you even WANT to do that!