Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
High Plains Drifter

Default Jewish Background of the Beastie Boys?

Reading the obituaries for Yauch and the Beastie Boys as a group over the last few weeks it is striking to see how much info is wrong. Yauch's Jewish lineage in particular seems to be exhibit A in the misinformation. The fact is that Yauch was as Catholic as he was Jewish and of course ultimately became a Buddhist. All these different religions in his life would be a very interesting thing to discuss but it just gets lost on those writing the columns. And that is too bad
Additionally Adrock's mother Doris Keefe came from an Irish Catholic background.
It just seems that the media likes to stereotype the Beasties as being only Jewish because it fits a stereotype held by those that aren't from New York: That pretty much all the white people in NYC are Jewish.
The Beastie Boys are clearly proud of their Jewish lineage and they totally should be, but they also celebrated diversity. It would be nice if their diversity was more recognized within the media
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Jewish Background of the Beastie Boys?

I frequently browse through Stormfront's forums just for the laughs (after all, they are mostly blinded, bigoted people, who blame the others for their misfortunes in life). They noted MCA's death just because of their Jewish background.

Doesn't really matter, it's just funny how people see WHAT THEY REALLY INTEND to see.

On the other hand, I've always celebrated Beastie's diversity. After all, one of my fav. lines is "Diversity unified / whoever you are".
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
High Plains Drifter

Default Re: Jewish Background of the Beastie Boys?

"Racism is schism on a serious tip"

(shoot, I missed the thread that was already discussing this topic)

Last edited by Brass Monk : 05-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.