Old 12-19-2019, 01:24 PM
crazy sniffable

Default Re: 50 Cal Getdown

if Yauch’s cameo on this record is as diminutive as reported, i hate to say it sounds a bit exploitative. a questionable ploy to sell some more units, and by a close friend at that. i never took MMM as the bloodsucking type, nor has that opinion wavered, however it certainly doesnt paint a flattering picture on the surface.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
if Yauch’s cameo on this record is as diminutive as reported, i hate to say it sounds a bit exploitative. a questionable ploy to sell some more units, and by a close friend at that. i never took MMM as the bloodsucking type, nor has that opinion wavered, however it certainly doesnt paint a flattering picture on the surface.
Kinda glad I procrastinated and didn’t get caught up in MMM’s hype. I’ll reserve final judgement when there’s more info - and hoping for the best.

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM

i dunno man, sounds like you’re being unreasonable. the song isn’t even on the album. it’s on a bonus cd that from the sounds of it you have to search for. it’s not like he’s been selling print and social media ads and promoting the album claiming it to have a “lost MCA from the Beastie Boys” song on it. other than his one Instagram post with the tracklist i haven’t seen him using that song as a selling tool to get people to buy his album.

i think we all saw the tracklist and jumped to our own conclusions on what that song could be. disappointed or not, jumping the gun and using language like exploitive and bloodsucker sounds pretty harsh imo.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:04 PM
crazy sniffable

Red face Re: 50 Cal Getdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
i dunno man, sounds like you’re being unreasonable. the song isn’t even on the album. it’s on a bonus cd that from the sounds of it you have to search for. it’s not like he’s been selling print and social media ads and promoting the album claiming it to have a “lost MCA from the Beastie Boys” song on it. other than his one Instagram post with the tracklist i haven’t seen him using that song as a selling tool to get people to buy his album.

i think we all saw the tracklist and jumped to our own conclusions on what that song could be. disappointed or not, jumping the gun and using language like exploitive and bloodsucker sounds pretty harsh imo.
thats a fair criticism, Micodin. i def came off more harsh than intended there. what i was trying to express was that it looks kinda shady on the surface, though i still have faith in fella that its nothing of that nature. poor diction on my part for sure. theres a million reasons why the teased content hasnt surfaced yet, or may never. politics are politics. thanks for whistle blowin, my dude. nothing but respect for MMM over here.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:11 AM

i mean, the only social media i’m active on is Instagram so i could be talking out of pocket but that’s the only place i’ve seen the song/album advertised. he could be hyping it up in other places and i just haven’t seen it. either way, i know mike has been super cool with us Beastie fans since he became part of the crew, and he started out as a fan like us first. i just hope he wouldn’t do something shady like that to his friend Yauch.

i would love to hear whatever this song is tho. just out of curiosity sake.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:47 AM

I would of thought someone would of put this on youtube by now.
Has anyone heard it, before l go and buy the CD for a minute of lyrics by MCA
I dont really like any of mixmaster mikes music, l want to but l just dont

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Last edited by pesto pizza : 12-24-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:20 AM

Arrow Re: 50 Cal Getdown

For anybody who's interested, here is the order link.

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/mix-ma...RoC-1wQAvD_BwE
Old 12-24-2019, 12:59 PM

if mmm wants to share the song, cool. but ripping someone’s brand new music to Youtube is a bad look. if you want to hear the song bad enough you should pay for it.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
if mmm wants to share the song, cool. but ripping someone’s brand new music to Youtube is a bad look. if you want to hear the song bad enough you should pay for it.
You are always on here, non stop for years telling people off , arguing in every thread.
l'm so sick of your comments.Everytime l see your name l think here we go again.
I know this is what you want, so you can write another clever comment.

Last edited by pesto pizza : 12-24-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
You are always on here, non stop for years telling people off , arguing in every thread.
l'm so sick of your comments.Everytime l see your name l think here we go again.
I know this is what you want, so you can write another clever comment.
happy christmas! xoxo
Old 12-24-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
i mean, the only social media i’m active on is Instagram so i could be talking out of pocket but that’s the only place i’ve seen the song/album advertised. he could be hyping it up in other places and i just haven’t seen it. either way, i know mike has been super cool with us Beastie fans since he became part of the crew, and he started out as a fan like us first. i just hope he wouldn’t do something shady like that to his friend Yauch.

i would love to hear whatever this song is tho. just out of curiosity sake.
if you want to hear the song bad enough you should pay for it.if your curiosity is that bad, you should pay for it!
There the message board police master Micodin has spoken

Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
if you want to hear the song bad enough you should pay for it.if your curiosity is that bad, you should pay for it!
There the message board police master Micodin has spoken
this might come to a shock to you but just because you don’t like my opinion doesn’t mean i’m not going to give it. posting someone’s music without their permission is a bitch move. you’d think you would know that already without it being explained to you. sheesh. show some common sense and compassion, dickhead.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
this might come to a shock to you but just because you don’t like my opinion doesn’t mean i’m not going to give it. posting someone’s music without their permission is a bitch move. you’d think you would know that already without it being explained to you. sheesh. show some common sense and compassion, dickhead.
And it seems YOU don't like other peoples opinions on this message board ALL THE TIME, DICKHEAD!
People can't say nothing without you chipping in and trying to make them look bad, lve seen you do it for years

Old 12-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
And it seems YOU don't like other peoples opinions on this message board ALL THE TIME, DICKHEAD!
People can't say nothing without you chipping in and trying to make them look bad, lve seen you do it for years
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 12-26-2019, 01:43 PM
space cake cookie

well that escalated quickly, and lot's of dicks and heads talk and that's always nice to hear around the miracle zombie season. speaking of zombies we watched Double Tap on the eve of xmas day and it was glorious.

....madison.....

you two behave yourselves now.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 12-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
well that escalated quickly, and lot's of dicks and heads talk and that's always nice to hear around the miracle zombie season. speaking of zombies we watched Double Tap on the eve of xmas day and it was glorious.

....madison.....

you two behave yourselves now.
haha yeah, whatevs. dude is light work. he’s been trying to vote me off the island for years now. i’m not worried.

on to important matters, Double Tap and Ready or Not are my two favorite horror comedies of the year. i thought both were pretty great.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 PM

I collect MMM so I would have bought it with or without MCA on it. I was like most everybody who would even read this thread in that I hoped it was something monumental. It turned out to be less than that, and I'm OK with that because imo it was not marketed in a way that led me to believe that it was more than a verse on a mix tape.

Given that MMM spent some time with Mike and Adam on the book tour, and looked them in the face every day for weeks if not months, it doesn't really make sense that he'd dick them over for a cash grab. That is not what this is about. He's not a cash grabber. I can't even get Magma Chamber on vinyl or CD. It seems more like a tribute from him to the guy he worked with on music for over a decade.

The track itself is cool. To me, the album is fantastic. I don't want to say that anybody is wrong for their opinion.

In my mind... MMM put out a record that you can only get from one retailer and limited it to 1,000 copies on vinyl because people like me wanted a physical copy. He's not going to make dick off of this release by selling vinyl. Rough Trade sold it at a reasonable price, and (by the way) added a free promo CD that included an hour long mix of the album plus lots of bonus material. Just over 2 minutes of that free bonus CD contained a track that featured MCA playing fuzz base and a very small sample of lyrics we haven't heard. I'm good with that.

In the woodshed working on my chops to hide the pressures coming out the box
Old 12-31-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatlove06 View Post
I collect MMM so I would have bought it with or without MCA on it. I was like most everybody who would even read this thread in that I hoped it was something monumental. It turned out to be less than that, and I'm OK with that because imo it was not marketed in a way that led me to believe that it was more than a verse on a mix tape.

Given that MMM spent some time with Mike and Adam on the book tour, and looked them in the face every day for weeks if not months, it doesn't really make sense that he'd dick them over for a cash grab. That is not what this is about. He's not a cash grabber. I can't even get Magma Chamber on vinyl or CD. It seems more like a tribute from him to the guy he worked with on music for over a decade.

The track itself is cool. To me, the album is fantastic. I don't want to say that anybody is wrong for their opinion.

In my mind... MMM put out a record that you can only get from one retailer and limited it to 1,000 copies on vinyl because people like me wanted a physical copy. He's not going to make dick off of this release by selling vinyl. Rough Trade sold it at a reasonable price, and (by the way) added a free promo CD that included an hour long mix of the album plus lots of bonus material. Just over 2 minutes of that free bonus CD contained a track that featured MCA playing fuzz base and a very small sample of lyrics we haven't heard. I'm good with that.

In the woodshed working on my chops to hide the pressures coming out the box
Sounds good, l heard a sample of another track on instagram which was really good.
So is the MCA track him rapping over the fuzz bass or two separate tracks?

Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 AM

Bigfatlove06 that was a good enough review for me, l just went and bought the double CD off rough trade, cheers.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:00 AM

Mine showed up yesterday. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect out of Mike. High adrenaline, spaced out, sonic onslaught.

100% agree with Bigfatlove's perspective on the MCA track. Mike's music career doesn't have much in the way of fan pandering or compromise. He's always been savagly unique and independent. It's hard for me to think of another artist who has the same amount of integrity as him.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM

Just the heard the track. Its good but not what l thought it was going to be.
l remembered there being more vocals on that instagram clip that he released last year
On 50 cal getdown there is only about two lines of vocals
It is a good album very b-boy hip hop meets todays music.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:37 AM

That OUTRO song on the mix cd is interesting

Old 01-08-2020, 12:36 PM
space cake cookie

i like it.....

sounds like a beastie boy song even without the few vocals mixed in

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 01-08-2020, 02:06 PM

So it’s basically what he would mix for the live shows when Gratitude was going to be played.

You could barley hear MCA and he was hardly on it.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 01-09-2020, 03:16 AM
Current Member

It’s precisely the gratitude MMM/MCA intro from Reading 98. I like it.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin MCL View Post
I saw Mix Master Mike live in Dublin two weeks ago and right at the top of the show he mentioned having MCA on his new record. He said that the vocals were recorded back in the Hello Nasty era and that he went above management and sought Dechen Yauch’s blessing to use it. Legend.

For anyone who wants to hear a snippet, he previewed a little bit on Instagram a few months ago. https://youtu.be/lhxmSh-X_8Y

The link to the album on Rough Trade’s UK site seems to have been cleared, but you can still see it on the US store.
The IG preview sounds totally different to what was released. Pure speculation, but I wonder if he gone some kick back from the band/family about using MCA vox and that resulted in it being taken off the album and replaced with a track with only 2 lines in?!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 AM

Yeah that's not the vox he shared on instagram last year.

Oh well.

message board

Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Current Member

Had to be some pushback; it was an album track before it was this. Hopefully for good reason ie the boys want to be the only ones releasing Yauch’s stuff. Not a beef, just a firm position.

The IG snippet sounded like something entirely different.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Had to be some pushback; it was an album track before it was this. Hopefully for good reason ie the boys want to be the only ones releasing Yauch’s stuff. Not a beef, just a firm position.

The IG snippet sounded like something entirely different.
I think you're really speculating here though. There are tons of different reasons why Mike could have changed the track, took it off the main album (if it was ever even definitely going to be on there), etc.

There are also any number of ways Yauch's intellectual property and recordings could be handled/controlled. Mike D and Adrock may have no say at all as far as that clip, or they could have total control, or anywhere in between.

The scenarios are so numerous and the facts are so sparse that its hardly worth speculating over.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:12 AM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I think you're really speculating here though. There are tons of different reasons why Mike could have changed the track, took it off the main album (if it was ever even definitely going to be on there), etc.

There are also any number of ways Yauch's intellectual property and recordings could be handled/controlled. Mike D and Adrock may have no say at all as far as that clip, or they could have total control, or anywhere in between.

The scenarios are so numerous and the facts are so sparse that its hardly worth speculating over.
well-stated