Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Beastie-Free General Discussion

Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Monkey News

Default Anybody watch the Bill Nye, Ken Ham creationist debate?

it's almost 3 hours long but well worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

it amazes me how some people are so happy and content with not questioning anything especially if it's from religion.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
just here for the .gifs

Default Re: Anybody watch the Bill Nye, Ken Ham creationist debate?

I tried watching it live but just got depressed. Highlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Monkey News

My favorite part was the whole noah's ark thing and evolution. Nye questioned how the kangaroos got to Australia from the middle east without any evidence of being in any other part of the world. how could they have made that trek from the middle east to the other side of the world without leaving any fossil evidence?

Ham brought up the famous finches of the galapogos. He believes that they did indeed evolve but only from a early finch. that early finch was on the ark. the ark only contained the single KIND of animal. that one kind of finch and other animals evolved into all the finches and animals of the world after the ark. the first finch was created by god. it didn't evolve from an earlier creature. he brought up dogs a lot too. I think he was referring to all canids as "dogs". all the "dog" species came about from one dog created by god. that dog had to have been on the ark in order to survive. all this happened within 4000 years or so.

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 02-06-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Monkey News

ham also believes that the grand canyon was created by the great flood. the grand canyon being one of the largest pieces of evidence for the great flood. and all the fossil evidence within the canyon were creatures killed by the flood.

Nye explained to him then if that were the case the fossils wouldn't be in a particular order. there's only certain creatures in certain layers of the grand canyon. because each layer was created at a particular time encapsulating which particular creatures were around at that particular time. if they were all killed at once there wouldn't be an order to how they are placed within they layers of the canyon. it would be just a jumbled mess.

the debate seemed very juvenile because of Ham's beliefs. trying to sway logic the best he can to conform to his book from thousands of years ago.

Ham is a very intelligent and educated guy and held his own. it wasn't like Nye was debating a retard. it was very interesting.

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 02-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM
no mames

I've spent some time over the past couple of years with fundamentalist Christians. I think a lot of us have been led to believe that they are morons and idiots for their beliefs, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

"The earth is only 5000 years old and was created in 7 days because the Bible says so" is not an argument. (Although there are many Christians who will admit that worldly scientific logic cannot be applied to spirituality, because its in the spiritual realm)

I'm pretty familiar with both sides of the argument, and I've heard more compelling arguments than just "The Bible tells me so."
There are people who talk about life. What is life? How do you explain life or its purpose? Where did life come from? How did it come from non life? How come everything we see exists for a purpose, if we do not exist for a purpose? Stuff like that.
There was a scientist who used standard population growth algorithms to project various scenarios, in relation to how long humans have existed.
And there's another scientist called Chuck Missler who examined the behavior and complexity in cells, and how you can liken it to a digital computer and how he has determined it to indicate some sort of intelligent creation.

So there are people who have actually investigated things, and come to their own conclusions.

But I don't know, I think its kind of a waste of time. I think it would be more beneficial for people with strong Christian faith to live their lives by example and inspire people around them than to debate with people that will never ever agree with them.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Monkey News

It is not a waste of time. Trying to figure out how everything works or how it came to be is one of the major driving forces for everything that we have become. we should not be content with beliefs that are so constrained and limiting and not open ended. we should be looking and searching and learning and not be content and happy with what a single authority says. being like that is holding shit back. if there was no conflict from those thoughts we'd still be in the dark ages.